• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Money From Out Of The Blue (Cash Found Or Unexpectedly Received)

I used to be a school cleaner - and every day I would clean four classrooms and use a buffer on a wooden varnished hallway. One day I was doing my usual thing and bored and mind elsewhere when suddenly £30 manifested itself on the grey/blue carpet near the desks - that is I didn't see it and then suddenly it materialised.. it was like I saw it appearing.

Thinking I must have imagined the arrival of £30 that was a £20 note and a£10 note I picked it up and the money was real as anything. Ok..so I took it to the office so the person who lost the £30 - probably some poor kid who brought it in to pay for a trip or something - could claim the money back. After three months nobody had claimed it - and you would think that a person, especially a kid, would notice if they'd lost £30 wouldn't you?

I got the money back and bought myself a drink etc.. lucky me.

Crookshank said:
that is I didn't see it and then suddenly it materialised.. it was like I saw it appearing.

Hi Crookshank :)
Sorry to be nit-picky but just wanted to clarify - do you mean you actually saw it appear; that is, you were looking in the right-direction at the right time rather than you looked away, looked back and it was there when it hadn't been a moment earlier?

If so, what was it like visually?

I'm picturing the effect used a lot in the 1960s in programmes like I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched and Lost in Space where someone blinks/twitches their nose/waves their hand, there's a "boing" sound and something is magicked into existence.

I'm not suggesting there was any cheesy sound-effect with your experience btw :)

I'm just curious to hear whether the £30 was just suddenly there, or was there any kind of transition from Not-There to There?
Hope I'm explaining myself properly! :)

Number_6_uk said:
I'm not suggesting there was any cheesy sound-effect with your experience btw :)

That would be so fantastic if that had happened!
It would mean all those films were 'bang on the money'.
:D

Mythopoeika said:
Number_6_uk said:

That would be so fantastic if that had happened!
It would mean all those films were 'bang on the money'.
Handy too!
*Boing!* - "Ooh I wonder if that's my keys back from The Other Place?" :D

Thinking about it though, and assuming things really do sometimes appear/disappear (and I believe they do - I think I've posted my own definite experience on the board some years ago, although it didn't happen while I was looking) imagine that there really was a sound every time something vanished or materialised - how differently would the events be perceived?

What I mean is, people everywhere, since time immemorial would have been hearing strange little noises and noticing that they co-coincided with something being where it shouldn't be (or not) and the events would likely be utterly accepted as a normal every-day occurrence.

"Sorry I'm late for work! My car keys went Boing! and I had to get the bus instead."
"Oh that's a nice ring you're wearing!" "Oh thanks! It came from The Place Where Things Boing!"

It would be as natural to us as knowing that letting go of an object means it falls down.

Yes it is my opinion that I actually saw it materiallise out of nowhere.. like I was looking at a blue carpet then I thought I saw something and piece by piece it appeared like.. you know when light is slowly appearing in a room - well it was like that. I thought .. wow.. how come I didn't even see that and I have been looking the whole time. I had to strain my eyes and half close them but it was definately there.. picked it up .. real as anything . Nobody claimed it though. BTW it was around about the same time as my other experience you know, the one where I thought people existed who didn't.

I hope my jokey tone didn't imply that I didn't believe you - I was just thinking out loud as it were. I am really fascinated to read about what you saw because I think it's the first time I've read of someone actually seeing something appear as it happened. The only other vaguely related one I can remember is one where a man was walking in a field with people when he just vanished in front of them.

So when you say you had to strain your eyes, was it because you could see it but it was faint/transparent or was it more like seeing something in the corner of your eye, but in front of you, or something different again? Was it there in an instant or did it take time to fully appear?
Sorry for asking all these questions but ever since I first heard of things appearing/disappearing/teleporting, I've been intensely curious about what it would be like to witness it.

Edit: I've just found the post I referred to earlier.
The thread is called "Things Never Being Where You Left Them" and it's from almost 10 years ago! Wow, time flies!
I'd actually forgotten completely about the mobile phone, the hat, and the scarf, but will never forget about the RFID pass:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... ht=#105124

Ya it was like it wasn't transparent or anything just that when you think you have imagined something almost like having a blind spot but its nto a blind spot its just that you can't see it really then slowly it appears as if you have a blind spot that no longer exists.. like it appears in your eye when it wasn't there.. um..

But nobody claimed it is what puzzles me.. if I did have a sort of blind spot etc how come nobody claimed the money - you'd think somoene would know if they lost £30 wouldnt they?

Crookshank said:
But nobody claimed it is what puzzles me.. if I did have a sort of blind spot etc how come nobody claimed the money - you'd think somoene would know if they lost £30 wouldnt they?

But they might not know where they'd lost it, and never think of the classroom. Or, some student had raided his/her mother's purse and was afraid to inquire. ;)

Losing £30 is one thing - losing several thousand euros is another!

Southampton Airport left Euros claim deadline passes

The deadline has passed for the owner of a large amount of Euros left at Southampton Airport to come forward.
The bundle of several thousand Euros was found at the terminal by a member of staff at the end of 2011.

The airport gave the owner of the money until midnight on 31 January to claim it but no-one has come forward.
The bundle of notes will be given to Sophie's Appeal, a charity for children with cancer whose founder works at the airport.
The airport said lost property was usually given to a local charity if it remained unclaimed for three months.

Passengers using the terminal are reunited with about 500 lost personal items each year, including false teeth, teddy bears, hats and hearing aids.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-16823757

rynner2 said:
Losing £30 is one thing - losing several thousand euros is another!

Southampton Airport left Euros claim deadline passes

The deadline has passed for the owner of a large amount of Euros left at Southampton Airport to come forward.
The bundle of several thousand Euros was found at the terminal by a member of staff at the end of 2011.

The airport gave the owner of the money until midnight on 31 January to claim it but no-one has come forward.
The bundle of notes will be given to Sophie's Appeal, a charity for children with cancer whose founder works at the airport.
The airport said lost property was usually given to a local charity if it remained unclaimed for three months.

Passengers using the terminal are reunited with about 500 lost personal items each year, including false teeth, teddy bears, hats and hearing aids.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-16823757

That was like money out of the blue for Sophie's Appeal. :D

[/quote]
Handy too!
*Boing!* - "Ooh I wonder if that's my keys back from The Other Place?" :D

Thinking about it though, and assuming things really do sometimes appear/disappear (and I believe they do - I think I've posted my own definite experience on the board some years ago, although it didn't happen while I was looking) imagine that there really was a sound every time something vanished or materialised - how differently would the events be perceived?

"Sorry I'm late for work! My car keys went Boing! and I had to get the bus instead."
"Oh that's a nice ring you're wearing!" "Oh thanks! It came from The Place Where Things Boing!"
quote]

The wonderful George Carlin does a fantastic stand up joke about where things "Go". He say's, "I don't mind never having them back, as long as I know where they went". Here's a little clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ySI8yxZ97I

Now that's a REAL gift! £21,000 in cash left anonymously on doorstep 'as donation to park redevelopment fund'
By Ted Thornhill
Last updated at 11:19 PM on 16th February 2012

More than £21,000 in cash was left anonymously on the doorstep of a house.
The mystery money - all in £20 notes - had been stuffed into a knotted plastic charity bag and placed in a small wicker basket.
The astonishing 'gift' had remained on the step of the Hope Street terraced home in Lytham St Anne's, near Blackpool, in broad daylight for up to seven hours.

But stunned residents Ian Roberts and his wife Pam Curtis are convinced the money is a donation for the redevelopment of Hope Street Park, opposite their home, where a fund raising campaign is ongoing - even though they could keep it for themselves.
A £400,000-plus, three-phase park master plan, including teen play equipment and shelter, toddler and junior play area and improvements to the pavilion to make it a community resource, has been drawn up and work begun.
The retired civil servants are officials of the Friends of Hope Street Park committee - Ian the chairman, Pam the secretary - and will hand the £21,480, currently in their own account, over to the committee for improving the pavilion.

The bag of cash - an orange Scope charity bag inside a white plastic St Annes' Gigli's Butcher's bag - contained no note, nor any other means of identification of the amazing benefactor.
Pam, 58, explained: ‘Ian and I had spent the day in Manchester visiting Ian's mother and a friend who was ill. We left at 9am and when we returned it was about 4pm.
‘We are used to having things left on our doorstep - we have car boot sales etc as funding for the park.’
'It's astounding, it's just so generous, touching, a positive story'

Pam picked up the wicker basket, took it in, opened the bag and saw the bundle of £20 notes.
‘When I got them all out I thought there was £5,000 there,’ she said. ‘But by the time we had finished counting it, it was £21,480!’
Ian, 61, said: ‘It was just sitting there - it was incredible. While Pam was counting and the piles were mounting, I was on the phone to the police. The police came, they counted it and said it could be drugs money - a kind of payment, but the wrong house. But they didn't think that was really what had happened.

‘They impounded it, gave us a receipt and said they would have to make some inquiries and if the money wasn't claimed within 28 days they would give it to us. I'm sure we did the right thing. I suppose formally it's ours.
He quipped: ‘We have both finished work this last year and were talking about buying a camper van and touring the Med. Was this our holiday cash from somebody?

‘It's astounding, it's just so generous, touching, a positive story. I put a thank you note in the front window that day and left it for a week.
‘We've had other donations but the most we've had is £150 from an individual.
‘Just to leave it is quite remarkable without a note.’

The couple told the park's Friends for the first time at a committee meeting on Monday.
‘There was amazement, astonishment,’ said Pam. ‘They totally agreed with us they would keep it for the pavilion.’

A Police spokesman said: ‘They did the right thing and the money was held to ensure there was no criminal activity related to it. It was returned to them for their donation.’

David Gigli, owner of Gigli's St Albans Road, St Annes, said: ‘It's amazing. I'm absolutely stunned. Obviously I've got generous customers.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1md7aYfHp

This actually happened to me. I saw a 20 pound note materialise in front of me, similar to a previous poster's story.

It was about 20 years ago, and the weird thing is, I'd actually been dabbling in magic spells & the like, specifically for monetary gain.
There was a pre-cursor incident that day, when the guy selling the Evening Standard gave me too much change. It was only a few pence, but my weird sensors were tingling.

Later that day, I opened the door of my work van, and saw a shimmering effect on the ground outside. As i watched, it "materialised" into a 20 pound note. This took only a couple of seconds. I quickly grabbed it, put it into my pocket, and got goose bumps all over.

The shimmering/materialising effect was very strange. A possible explanation is that the wind blew the note into my vision and it took my eyes/brain a while to process what I was seeing.

It's just such a weird coincidence as I'd been trying to "conjur up" money that very day.
The "magic" I was using consisted of trying to contact a "Guardian spirit", using prayer-like invocations in my thoughts, very deliberately.

Of course I've tried to repeat this, but to no avail.

These days I am very sceptical of any claims of occult forces or magic powers. But when I remember this incident it makes me wonder.

I wish a million pounds would materialise in front of me. My bank account is looking pretty sparse right now.

Put your money where your mouth is! Buy a lottery ticket! :lol:

escargot1 said:
Put your money where your mouth is! Buy a lottery ticket! :lol:

Well, I did have a win a couple of weeks back - £55!
That's not going to change my life.

I occasionally win £25 from a Premium Bond. At least with such a pathetic sum you don't feel obliged to do anything other than spend it!

Yesterday I had to go to the post office and as I went to get a trolley for the supermarket there was one with money still left inside as someone hadn't bothered to take it back inside. ( they have new trolleys they keep inside and the old ones with broken coin slots are on that side).
Anyway after I finished my shopping and was taking it back I passed an ATM and a bit further on was a $10 note lying on the ground. I picked it up but there was noone near.
Then last night I was taking out the garbage bag from the kitchen and on the bottom of the bin was an old 1 cent coin.

Isis177 said:
Yesterday I had to go to the post office and as I went to get a trolley for the supermarket there was one with money still left inside as someone hadn't bothered to take it back inside. ( they have new trolleys they keep inside and the old ones with broken coin slots are on that side).
Anyway after I finished my shopping and was taking it back I passed an ATM and a bit further on was a $10 note lying on the ground. I picked it up but there was noone near.
Then last night I was taking out the garbage bag from the kitchen and on the bottom of the bin was an old 1 cent coin.

You should buy a lottery ticket with the $10.

Maybe that black rat was a sign of luck.

I find it really odd how some people seem to find money quite often, where as I rarely find any (other than the odd 1p on the street). My partner often finds it, as does his mother. They both put it down to being Jewish! :roll: :lol:

Is it a question of luck? Or is something stranger going on?

I found a £10 and a £5 outside my apartment a few weeks ago, right after I had posted a message about finding money on the street on another forum. Talk about synchronicity!

I have been quite lucky with finding money on the pavement. I have found £10 about 4 times in my life, £5 once or twice and I once found £200 in £20 notes in a bundle years ago.

Ohhh maybe I'll find some now! thanks Rasputin!

This evening, on my way to the pub, I spied a 5p coin lying on the ground. Normally, at my age, and with my bad knees, it's too much hassle to bend down and pick something so small up, but this time for some reason I did.

Just as well because it seems to have updated the old saying;
"See a penny, pick it up, all that day you'll have good luck!"
Because when I later went in the local shop for some items, a can of Stella refused to be scanned at the till - so the shop-keeper gave it to me as a freebie!

Cheers, mate! :D

The other day I found a tenner on my way to work, first thing Monday morning. (just outside the bingo hall) Made my day!
It looked rather crumpled, I strongly suspect that it was change from buying cigarettes, and fell out of someones pocket, as the packet was pulled out. I think it was karma, as I lost a tenner in January, when the wind blew it out of my handbag, one Saturday night, when i was after my keys.

Why does this never happen to me? :(

Bank error in your favour, collect 200m euros: German businessman allowed to keep interest from computer glitch that deposited huge sum of money into his account
By Helen Collis
PUBLISHED: 19:59, 4 May 2012 | UPDATED: 18:22, 5 May 2012

Faced with the dilemma of a vast deposit in your account from a stranger, how many of us would toy with the idea, or perhaps go ahead with, sticking it into a high interest account to profit from the error until it, inevitably, gets corrected?
To inform those who are not aware, in the UK this is not permitted, according to the UK Payments Council which oversees the payments system.

In Germany, however, it appears to be a different story.
One man has been told he can keep the €12,000 interest earned while it was 'resting in his account' overnight, after his bank mistakenly deposited €200 million.
Named in German media only as Michael H, he sold shares last April for €20,000, but his online bank, Comdirect, accidentally put €200 million into his account - 10,000 times the amount he was expecting. :shock:
Michael H then swiftly transferred €10 million of it into his current account in a different bank.

And although Comdirect successfully clawed back all the €200 million, it demanded €12,000 on top – 14.4 per cent interest on the money he moved, according to German media Die Welt and The Local.
A court on Thursday, however, ruled in favour of Michael H, after he sued his bank for taking the interest.
The district court in Itzehoe, Schleswig-Holstein, ruled that Comdirect should repay the man the €12,000 – plus the interest it accrued over the last year.

While Michael H has re-clawed back the interest, the bank, which is owned by Commerzbank, is going to appeal, German media say.
No surprises there.
Quoted in The Local, a Geman bank spokesman said: 'People who want to use money that does not belong to them generally have to pay interest. That is the same for everyone.
'We only implemented normal procedures – it was nothing more than correct protocol.'

The English language news site said Michael H admitted it was fun to be a multimillionaire for a moment, but now regrets moving the money. 'It would have been better if I had done nothing.'
It appears banking errors of this type are not as uncommon as one might expect, although this is a particularly large sum of money.

One of the more talked-about cases was three years ago when a New Zealand couple, unable to resist the temptation, went on the run when NZ$10 million was mistakenly deposited into their account.
Their disappearance sparked an international manhunt, with Interpol enlisted to track them down.

The laws in the UK state that if you keep any money wrongly credited to your account, you could end up in jail.
Those unable to resist the urge to profit could be charged with ‘retaining wrongful credit’.
The 1968 Theft act defines this as: 'A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1u507f6Co

Obligatory:

Father Ted: That money was just resting in my account!

Back in the late 70s I got done for possession of a tiny amount of cannabis. I had to travel down from Inverness to Aberdeen for sentencing. I was hoping I would get away with an admonishment, and was aghast to be fined 50 quid (an astronomical sum for an unemployed newly-graduated student in these days).

On the way back home, I found a twenty pound note in the car park at Inverness station.

I muttered a grudging "Thanks" to the money fairy, with as much good grace as I could muster...

Thousands of pounds found in Spalding waterway

Around sixty thousand pounds in banknotes have been found floating in a Lincolnshire waterway.
A dog walker spotted the notes in the South Drove Drain in Spalding.
Officers said a large number of the notes were damaged but "a good quantity" appeared to be in reasonable condition.
The force is considering carrying out a detailed forensic examination of the money in an attempt to trace where it came from.

Magistrates have granted a seizure order to allow police time to investigate the find.
Det Con Steve Hull, of Spalding CID, said: "It isn't everyday that an amount of money like this is found.
"Somebody must have information that will help trace the lawful owner."

The money will remain with police until the investigation is complete.
If the money cannot be reunited with a legitimate owner then it will become the subject of a further court forfeiture order.
The force said anyone hoping to claim the money will need to provide proof of ownership.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-li ... e-25008898

EDIT: The South Drove Drain seems to be a minor drainage channel to the south of Spalding, and miles from anywhere....

York church to keep £100,000 bin bag cash

A church in York has been told it can keep about £100,000 in banknotes which were found in a bin bag on its property earlier this year.
The bag was discovered by a local resident in August on land owned by the church of St Thomas with St Maurice and was immediately handed to police.

The church, on Lowther Street, has been awarded the cash by York magistrates.
The money will be spent continuing the work of the church within the local community, the Diocese of York said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-yo ... e-25505482

8)

Back