• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Money From Out Of The Blue (Cash Found Or Unexpectedly Received)

I found a £20 note in the middle of the road near a cashpoint once. It had been raining and the note was stuck to the road but perfectly intact. It'd clearly been there for a while, so there was no-one around that it could have belonged to. I took it and spent it on a slap-up meal!

I found £54 in lose mixed notes in leaves in the gutter at the end of my street in 1985. Took the cash to the police station who wrote each number down and took details from me of where and when I found it, etc.

If no one claimed it after six weeks and one day the police said I could keep it. No one claimed it and I bought a nice domed barometer/thermometer from John Lewis for £54 which I still have!

BBrain

Last edited:
I just found that I have a healthy savings account, been transferring into it for a while, having completely forgotten I arranged to do that. The pennies do add up it seems. :D

I was walking through a town late one night with an old girlfriend and I said to her 'it's a good night to find money' being as it was a Friday or Saturday night in the center of Bournemouth, and as soon as the words left my mouth I saw a five pound note on the floor :D I used to find money quite often though when I was homeless addict in my youth. On another occasion I spotted 20 quid in a hedge, it was was raining and the note was completely soaked so I proceeded to take it to a public toilet and dry it with the hand dryer ;)

I found a fiver that had got itself caught under a carling black lable pint glass one morning. Took both items to my van and off to work I went - with a smile.

I found a fiver that had got itself caught under a carling black lable pint glass one morning. Took both items to my van and off to work I went - with a smile.
Is that when you woke up and found you were still in the pub?

:D

No, it was a sunny morning and not too far away from my van was the sun glared pint pot sparkling on the road.

It made me smile thinking that fate had given me cash and a beer pot - have a drink on me George :D

Hehe! As I recall it was a pub dinner of some sort - possibly chilli con carne, a pint of ale and an indulgent chocolatey pudding :D

Yet another story from the Christchurch area finds its way into the Falmouth Packet!
£90,000 cash found under bed at derelict house - by firefighters about to set fire to it

First published Saturday 28 March 2015

A STAGGERING £90,000 in cash was reportedly found under a bed at a derelict property in Christchurch – the day before firefighters torched the site during a training exercise.
Firefighters discovered a “large amount of money” at a bungalow in Strete Mount, a former residential complex for elderly people, on Monday, March 17.
They were preparing the premises, which has been empty for around 18 months, for a training drill in which various items of furniture were set alight.
The hidden bounty was handed over to the police. Officers are now investigating to establish how the money got there and who it belongs to.

A source, who was involved in the drill and asked not to be named, said: “They found the money under the bed when they were preparing the area. There was £90,000 in cash.
“We were all like ‘wow’. It was a jaw-dropping moment when they found it.
“Then we were all in fantasy land trying to think up how it got there.”

Craig Baker, area manager at Dorset Fire and Rescue Service, confirmed money had been found at the property the day before the exercise took place, adding: “This was handed over to
Dorset Police and the housing association was notified immediately.”

Strete Mount, which consists of 46 bungalows, is owned by the Sovereign Housing.
A Sovereign Housing spokesman said: “Some basic furniture had been left in the bungalow and when the fire service dismantled this ahead of the exercise, they discovered the money and handed it over to the police."
“We will support the police in their efforts to establish where the money came from and who it belongs to.”

etc...

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/11886023.__90_000_cash_found_under_bed_at_derelict_house___by_firefighters_about_to_set_fire_to_it/?ref=mr

I found £54 in lose mixed notes in leaves in the gutter at the end of my street in 1985. Took the cash to the police station who wrote each number down and took details from me of where and when I found it, etc.

If no one claimed it after six weeks and one day the police said I could keep it.

BBrain
This happened to me, too. I found sixty quid in 1982 (or thereabouts) on the pavement, took it to the cops, and eventually I got to keep it. Makes me wonder who would lose that much money and not contact the police.

I helped my dodgy neighbour obtain free money once.

A letter came through the letter box whilst I was in the shower. My dogs barks and his letter box growl informed me something had arrived. When I picked the envelope up it felt empty, it read "happy birthday" and the address was a mix of next doors number, a name and an incorrect post code. Further inspection of it revealed a bank note inside so with confusion I nipped next door. My nieghbour wasn't in so I just posted it through her letter box. Later in the day she came around with the envelope and told me she had opened it, found money inside and it wasn't hers. Before I could ask why she had not found the envelope odd and checked the address details she interrupted with, "shall I hang on to it, there's no forwarding address so I`ll see what I can do". I had no choice but to agree with her as she had opened someone elses letter.

The devious cow has done this before with a bank statement that was addressed to the previous family who lived at my address. She came around with it, and as usual - no pleasantries - just a quick cut to the chase about opening a letter, realizing its not hers, but she didn't read it. Yeh, right...whatever!!

If she plays this trick again I think I`m going to report her.

This weekend, it was raining money—specifically, 50 Euro notes—at a camp site in a small German town, UPI reports. The equivalent of $200,000 in cash started falling from a tree's branches on July 11 after the plastic bag in which it appeared to have been hidden came undone.

The bag had been hanging on a pipe between two branches, but after a heatwave struck the Mirow area in Germany, the pipe bent, UPI says. An elastic tying the bag shut then snapped, causing the money to slip out of the bag and fall to the ground. A group of passersby discovered the cash floating down from the tree.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/offbeat/dollar200000-in-cash-fell-out-of-a-tree-in-germany/ar-AAcU5Wn

A small find I know but I did pick up a penny yesterday. It was found not far from the shop.

This morning outside the same shop mentioned above was another penny which I picked up. I decided to purchase a scratch card and Ive just scratched it and won five quid. That old saying must have some truth to it :)

I recently ran over a £10 note on my pushbike. It wasn't in the road for long!

I think Ive mentioned this before about railway stations. They are often a gold mine for loose change and the occasional fiver and even forgotten packets of cigarettes.

I carry one of those extendable poles with a magnet on the end for collecting discarded loose change! :D

I carry one of those extendable poles with a magnet on the end for collecting discarded loose change! :D
Does it work?
Quite a few coins are non-magnetic.

Yup, it picks up most with no trouble.

Does it work?
Quite a few coins are non-magnetic.

If you own a dog why not get one of those grabsticks to pick up its poo :) Some of those sticks come with a small magnet which are very handy for coin grabbing.

Or steal Marvs idea and wear a sticky glove.

homealone4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My dogs are currently fouling the Great Park In The Sky.

I have been quite lucky in the money finding business.
The first time I ever found anything like a decent amount I was probably 11 or 12 and riding home from my nans house I found a hundred quid blowing down the road. The next time me and a friend found a couple of hundred quid on the pavement in Whitechapel (halfsy halfsy)
Another time I found 50 or 60 quid in a money bag in the road whilst walking the dog. About 2 summers ago I found a rolled up 50 pound note with a metal clip on it in the gutter, I have also lost count of the 5 and 10 pound notes I found in the street....
I think the strangest money I ever found was walking home from the doctors one afternoon when I see a pound coin on the floor a little further I found another then another and so on I think I got about 30 quid or so any way as I got to the end of this quite long road there was a lady walking towards me who had obviously been collecting pounds coming in the opposite direction!!!!
I also lost all my money last summer fortunately one of my neighbours found it and returned it maybe it was to teach me that I should maybe have tried to return all the money I had found previously??? Anyway since I lost/had my money returned I haven't found anything of significance except a pound coin in exactly the same place as my wife found one 2 or 3 days previous ps I didn't just keep the money for the sake of having money on the occasions this has happened it has been when I most needed it

I have been quite lucky in the money finding business.
The first time I ever found anything like a decent amount I was probably 11 or 12 and riding home from my nans house I found a hundred quid blowing down the road. The next time me and a friend found a couple of hundred quid on the pavement in Whitechapel (halfsy halfsy)
Another time I found 50 or 60 quid in a money bag in the road whilst walking the dog. About 2 summers ago I found a rolled up 50 pound note with a metal clip on it in the gutter, I have also lost count of the 5 and 10 pound notes I found in the street....
I think the strangest money I ever found was walking home from the doctors one afternoon when I see a pound coin on the floor a little further I found another then another and so on I think I got about 30 quid or so any way as I got to the end of this quite long road there was a lady walking towards me who had obviously been collecting pounds coming in the opposite direction!!!!
I also lost all my money last summer fortunately one of my neighbours found it and returned it maybe it was to teach me that I should maybe have tried to return all the money I had found previously??? Anyway since I lost/had my money returned I haven't found anything of significance except a pound coin in exactly the same place as my wife found one 2 or 3 days previous ps I didn't just keep the money for the sake of having money on the occasions this has happened it has been when I most needed it

What did you do with money you found when you were a kid?

I remember exactly what I did with it, I went to lily whites (the original one) in picadilly and bought an ellesse tracksuit and a pair of nike trainers... I should probably tell you why... I grew up in Stepney in East London I am the eldest of 4 children and my parents could never afford to buy us all new clothes so I sometimes went a year between Christmases for new stuff, I used to see all my friends whose parents seemed a zillion times better off with the latest this and that and guess I decided that this was my opportunity to have something that they have.

Crazystuffhappens to me your story reminds me of when I was little. We were quite poor and while I was walking home from primary school, probably about grade 2 ,two one pound notes blew along the ground to my feet.
They were worth quite a bit of money in those days and it was a wonderful find.

Back