• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Money From Out Of The Blue (Cash Found Or Unexpectedly Received)

I carry one of those magnets on a little telescopic pole gadgets, looks like a pen, which is good for some.

I only recently found out that certain British coins are magnetic, I don't think it's always been the case. The new 5p, 1p and 2p definitely are but 20 and 50p aren't.

I only recently found out that certain British coins are magnetic, I don't think it's always been the case. The new 5p, 1p and 2p definitely are but 20 and 50p aren't.

I already know this! :evil:

At work I often pick up loose change from the floor. Some of my colleagues swear they can collect £10 a month this way! I carry one of those magnets on a little telescopic pole gadgets, looks like a pen, which is good for some.
One of my sons worked in a hipster bar in central Manc for a while, when he was a student. And on one of his first nights, he found £30 on the floor. Apparently, it was a perk of the job - lots of drunk people with more money than sense - so £s on the floor was a by-product. He had nights when he found more money than he earned. I forgot that til I read your post!

Just before Christmas I was given £50 in ten pound notes from a neighbour whose electric fence runs off my power system (£50 is hugely overpaying, but he's generous like that and knows I'm poor). It seemed bad form to unfold and count the money in front of him, so I stuck it in my pocket, thanked him, and then put it away 'somewhere safe'.

Fast forward to March and I was desperate for money, but could not find that bloody £50. i searched high and low and eventually concluded that I must have left it in the envelope which had got thrown away in a post Christmas clear out (this is most unlikely, nobody ever throws anything away in my household). No sign of it.

I asked aloud, but still no sign. I went upstairs to bed and there, beside my bed was my pink notebook that I use to make middle of the night notes. Sticking out of the top if it, very visibly, were the ten pound notes. I have no idea how they could have been there since Christmas without being spotted, I hadn't moved or touched the notebook at all in months...

I often find money (and other useful things) here and there. My wife is always impressed by my luck! I had an experience earlier today that I found to be truly serendipitous and worth sharing.

I live in New Orleans and was riding my bike in the park during my lunch break. As I rode (and sweated!) I had the sinking feeling that my rear tire was getting flat. I stopped and, sure enough, it was losing pressure and not road-worthy. Naturally, this occurred at the point on my route farthest from my office! As I got off the bike, I immediately noticed a shiny nickle. "Not bad," I thought. "That will put a nice dent in the cost of a replacement tube" ;)

As I waited for my wife to very graciously come rescue me (the park is very close to our house) I walked over to the drinking fountains for a bit of relief from the heat. Unfortunately, they were locked up since this part of the park is out-of-season right now.

As I walked back to the agreed-upon rescue zone I thought about reading this thread earlier today and appreciated my happy habit of finding money.

At THAT VERY INSTANT I looked down and saw a nice, crisp $5 bill!

I've noticed some people seem to think they are above picking up coins. There was a two pence piece lying on the pavement near my office earlier this week, I was walking behind 3 people who had got off the same bus as me and they all ignored it. I stooped and picked it up shamelessly!

I stooped and picked it up shamelessly!

No shame in that, Gloucestrian! I pick up pennies etc. all the time. I believe in a responsive universe. By picking up wealth (even a small fractional amount) I believe I am showing respect for wealth and am thus more likely to come across it. I find small change most of the time, but I find bills fairly often, too! I think a pair of $20s was my best hit...

I've noticed some people seem to think they are above picking up coins. There was a two pence piece lying on the pavement near my office earlier this week, I was walking behind 3 people who had got off the same bus as me and they all ignored it. I stooped and picked it up shamelessly!
Every coin is a tiny artwork .. :cool:

There's something to this. I am one of the lucky ones. I seem to find money on a routine basis. So much so that I don't give it much thought any longer. It began when I was quite young and found some money in the water while I was visiting friends of my parents on an island. My biggest haul was an envelope with $700 USD in it. Most of the times though it's spare change. Just today I found a nickel and two pennies. A week ago I was pulling some weeds in the yard and found another nickel and a penny.

It's kind of crazy, and sometime's I dream about finding money, like I had this one where I was faced with difficult choice of getting a job, or just searching the outdoors because I could make as much finding money as I could working for it. LOL! If only...but it's a little weird. However it can cut both ways. Sometimes it can just grow legs and leave for while. Sometimes a long while, but it comes back most times. You just have to wait.

I think that there seriously is something with this topic. That money can just somehow teleport. Either you are doing it or for some reason it can be attracted to to you. It is a weird thing.

Last edited:
I think I wrote some time ago about finding coins after my husband died.
Anyway I have been sorting out clothes I took out from the cupboard ( which had been washed and put away last Winter) but after I moved a couple of piles I had folded I found some coins again.
The last one was a 5cent coin and when I looked at it it was 2006 ,the year he died.

The mechanic who serviced my car yesterday rang to ask if he had left his torch in the back of the car.
I didn't find it but did find 5 cents with the 2006 year.

Honest people in a village in County Durham keep handing police large bundles of cash which are being mysteriously left in the streets.

Since 2014, 12 packages of £20 notes, totalling nearly £2,000, have been dumped at different locations in the former pit community of Blackhall Colliery.

https://news.sky.com/story/villager...ery-bundles-of-cash-found-in-streets-11864400

I thought it had been discussed on another thread that the police don't deal with lost property anymore unless it's something like a phone, laptop or wallet where there is a risk of identity theft?

I suppose there could be a drug-dealer aspect to this.

Two “good Samaritans” have identified themselves to police as the mystery benefactors who left tens of thousands of pounds on the streets of a tiny pit village in the hope it would be picked up by people in need.

The village of Blackhall Colliery, in County Durham, became the focus of global intrigue when detectives revealed that bundles of cash totalling at least £26,000 had been left anonymously scattered through the village, often on pavements, since 2014.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...sh-wads-left-in-pit-village-since-2014-solved

Mystery solved, good. But you know, even if they had tried to hand over thousands of pounds in the street, I wonder how many would have taken the wads no questions asked? You'd be suspicious of its origin, wouldn't you?

Boy Finds €100,000 Floating In Danube, Austria

Police notified & divers recover 100 & 500 Euro bills. No-one has claimed the money & the boy who found it is entitled to 5-10% of the value. According to the report, if it's unclaimed for a year he may be entitled to the lot.

87074451_87074450.jpg

It's odd - we're not hard up, but the Medic was warning me earlier in the year that there would be a bit of a pinch point in the spring (flash family holiday to pay off), and suddenly we had a number of other expenses that made me think, "A few bob more would come in handy." Then unexpectedly my dad said that he had "too much money" sloshing about in his current account, and he was going to divide it between my sister and I to "spend on our holidays". A very unexpected four figure sum appeared not long after that. I said a big thank you to my dad, and also a quieter thank you to Them for facilitating this. (Although I hope they're not responsible for the coronavirus, which is likely to cancel our holiday and save ALL the money!)

Thinking about it, a number of years ago our boiler died and we had to have it replaced, just as we'd spent some money upgrading the children's sleeping arrangements (new beds and mattresses abounded). I didn't even ask Them for a loan, but unexpectedly I received a letter and another 4-figure sum from HMRC as it turned out my employers had failed to move me off an emergency tax code for something like three years. Forteanly fortuitous!

At least this fellow can claim to have been a millionaire for a while. I really like his philosophical attitude ...
Indiana man finds mysterious $8.2 million in bank account

An Indiana man awaiting his $1,700 stimulus payment said he checked his balance at an ATM and instead discovered a mysterious sum of $8.2 million.

Charles Calvin of New Chicago said he visited the ATM at his local Family Express on Friday to take out $200, and he then decided to check his remaining available balance to see if his stimulus payment had been deposited yet.

Calvin said he was shocked to see his balance was $8.2 million.

The volunteer firefighter said he called his bank Monday morning and was told his account balance had returned to normal, but his $1,700 stimulus payment had arrived.

"It kind of sucks," Calvin told WGN-TV. "You go from being a millionaire one second then back to being broke again. But hey, once you're poor you don't have anywhere else to go but up." ...
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...ous-82-million-in-bank-account/3921586880344/

Do US current accounts pay interest? Even a day's piddling interest on that would be nice.

Savings accounts pay interest, though interest rates are quite low nowadays. Most regular checking accounts do not pay any interest or dividends on account balances, though some do.

My guess is that no interest would be payable if the mistake occurred and was corrected within a single minimal accounting cycle (e.g., a single day). I'd also suspect banks (etc.) would have general policies regarding mistakenly attributed funds qualifying for interest and / or minimum timespan for a deposit to qualify for accruing interest.

Family goes for a drive; they pick up two bags of apparent trash from the road; find almost a million in cash inside the bags ...
Virginia family out for ride finds nearly $1 million in road

A Virginia family out for a ride to get a change of scenery after being holed up due to the coronavirus found nearly $1 million in two bags lying in the road.

David and Emily Schantz left their Caroline County home with their children last Saturday and drove their pickup truck over what they thought was a bag of trash, then stopped and picked it up as well as another bag nearby, news sources reported Tuesday. The Schantzes tossed the bags in the back of their pickup truck and kept riding, according to Emily Schantz.

Only when the Schantzes returned home did they discover the bags contained money, she said.

“Inside of the bag, there were plastic baggies and they were addressed with something that said ‘cash vault,’” Schantz told WTVR.

They contacted the Caroline County Sheriff’s Office, which sent deputies to the home. The deputies took inventory and determined the money totaled nearly $1 million.

Caroline Sheriff’s Maj. Scott Moser said authorities have since determined where the money was headed, but are still trying to figure out how it ended up in the middle of a road in Goochland County. Moser would not say specifically where the money was going. But he said he hopes the recipients offer the Schantzes a nice reward. ...

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/08f49a80f469931b235453838b0629f8

There's a dilemma.. if you found $1 million in cash would you hand it in or sit on it for a while?

Shades of No Country For Old Men.

There's a dilemma.. if you found $1 million in cash would you hand it in or sit on it for a while?

Shades of No Country For Old Men.

Sounds like it fell out of a security van or something. So that van would reach its destination, they'd find an open door and the balance would be off by a million dollars. That's a couple of security guards in deep doo-doo.

If all the money is recovered they'll still be dismissed for gross incompetence but at least they won't be arrested for grand larceny.

(Much as I'd like a million dollars, I'm a bit too honest. I'd take a few photos but turn over the money, otherwise my conscience would be burning a hole in me for a very long time... plus there's the problems of traceable bills - if any notes get traced back to me I'd be up on that grand larceny charge. And if the money belongs to, say, a criminal gang... well, then it's time to say hello to Mr. Boltcutters and Ms. Blowtorch who would dearly like to enquire as to the location of THEIR GODDAMN MONEY)

Sounds like it fell out of a security van or something. So that van would reach its destination, they'd find an open door and the balance would be off by a million dollars. That's a couple of security guards in deep doo-doo.

If all the money is recovered they'll still be dismissed for gross incompetence but at least they won't be arrested for grand larceny.

(Much as I'd like a million dollars, I'm a bit too honest. I'd take a few photos but turn over the money, otherwise my conscience would be burning a hole in me for a very long time... plus there's the problems of traceable bills - if any notes get traced back to me I'd be up on that grand larceny charge. And if the money belongs to, say, a criminal gang... well, then it's time to say hello to Mr. Boltcutters and Ms. Blowtorch who would dearly like to enquire as to the location of THEIR GODDAMN MONEY)

Yes but remember in the film, he made the mistake of firstly going back, & was then found because of a tracker. Inspect the money for trackers, keep schtum for a good while, & bob's yer uncle.

Haven't we had another thread about the difficulty in tracking banknote numbers?

French boys find gold

The boys, both aged about 10, asked to build a makeshift hut in the garden using branches, leaves and sheets.

Their father, a businessman in his 60s, told them that they could use their late grandmother's sheets, which were in a spare room.

When they went to collect them "two fairly heavy objects" fell out, Philippe Rouillac, a local auctioneer, told BFMTV. "They didn't pay attention to them and put them back."

But the boys soon told their father about the discovery. "He asked them to go and get them," Mr Rouillac said. "But he initially believed they were knife holders that belonged to the grandmother."

He contacted Mr Rouillac's company to double check and, after sending a few photographs, he was told the good news.

The objects were not knife holders, but two gold bars weighing 1kg (2.2lb) each.

Both bars are now listed on the auctioneer's website with an estimated value of 40,000 euros (£35,800; $43,800) a piece.

It turned out that the bars were purchased by the grandmother in 1967 and even come with a proof of purchase.

Moreover, the price of gold has increased due to the coronavirus pandemic. "We are going to wait for the price of gold to rise a little more," Mr Rouillac said. "They could get at least 100,000 euros."

Image shows one of the discovered gold bars

Back