• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Money From Out Of The Blue (Cash Found Or Unexpectedly Received)

A

Anonymous

I just wondered if anybody has ever found a large amount of money on the street or received money in a strange way.

no, but i once dropped two hundred quid in readies without noticing and was gobsmacked and very relieved to be handed it (all) by a guy a bit further on down the street.

No large amounts, but my partner regularly (ie about once an hour) finds small denomination coins in the street. Either he's really lucky or trying to avoid looking at me too much...

I've had dreams about finding large sums of money. The most I ever 'found' was when a malfunctioning soda machine spat out approx 22 dollars. The most I ever lost was 30 dollars along with my wallet. I was in high school at the time, so it was a pretty big loss for me.

yeah, but overall you're only eight dollars down, surely?

Well, somewhere in Denmark there is a duffel bag laying hidden with 30 million Danish kroner in it.

I once found fifty quid in the street. There was no-one else around and I could see quite far up the street and didn't see anyone drop it. It was loose, not in a wallet or purse. I was on the dole at the time so I kept it!

Well if I'd handed it into th police what would they have done?

Maybe I should have but it's ten years ago now

A bank in Spain once let someone take £3000 out when there was nothing in someones account. Someone doesnt live in Spain anymore.

Four times so far I've found largish amounts of money in public. First, while I was on holiday in Cornwall, I found a purse with about £30 inside a phone box. The only identification in it was a film-processing slip, so I went to the chemists that issued it, persuaded them to give me the address, went to the cottage and knocked on the door. A woman opened it, I said "Did you lose this purse?" She simply said "Oh yes", snatched it from me and slammed the door! I waited for a couple of minutes, but she didn't reopen the door. :mad:
The second time I was on holiday in Wales, found a wallet outside the Post Office. It had about a £100 quid in it, plus stuff that indicated it belonged to a pensioner, so I handed it in to the Post Office, who confirmed that they knew the owner and that he was indeed a pensioner. They promised to give him my name and address, but I never heard anything more. :mad:
The third time, I found a purse stuffed with notes in the street i9n my town. This one had the owner's identification in it, so I posted it anonymously back. And got a really nice thank-you letter back! :) I had used an old padded envelope to send the purse back in, and she had discovered my address by peeling off the label that I had covered it with.
The last time, I was walking with a friend, and we noticed lots of notes blowing along the street. We collected up all that we could find - it amounted to around £70, and we split it between us. :D
I reckoned I had finally got my just reward for all my previous honesty!

I sometimes find the odd £5 note in a pub, and I've twice found a stray £20 note in the street, but I suppose if I found any more than £100 I'd definitely hand it in.

Although I don't really know what that would do, a bit like Annas story "Have you lost £100?" "erm.......yes I have" *yoink*.

I suppose if I lost anything more than £20 I'd be annoyed, but dropping a fiver isn't that big a deal really, if someone finds it and buys themself a few pints or a curry then I dont really mind :)

I found a handbag with a purse in it, no money but credit cards, etc. Handed it to the police and a few days later got a nice phone call from the owner - her handbag had been nicked from a filing cabinet at work, the money was taken but fortunately the cards left untouched.

And I found 20 quid in the street once, so I pocketed it and bought the kids a Playstation game with it.

Carole

Never found any large amounts of money in the street, more's the pity, but I once had an amazing run of luck in the Ship Ahoy pub in Bridlington during 1996.

If I had a few quid left after a sesh, I'd put one in a fruit machine on the way out. In this particular pub, I managed to win the £10 jackpot and repeat chance three nights on the trot. That meant I'd got sixty quid out of three, and I don't want to even think about the odds! My mate Jim's comment of "Jammy bastard!" says it all .

I tried again the following week and failed dismally. Just as well really, as the landlord would probably have barred me, or frisked me for a Q-like gadget!

When I was 15 during the summer holidays, me and my twin brother went to a friends house to stay over. Anyway, we decided to go for a walk through the countryside around Epping. We walked miles and miles until we reached a road bridge where we stopped. I looked over the bridge to see if there was enough water to play poo sticks. Instead there was a black suitcase, I pointed out to my bro. and friend. We decided to take a look to see what was inside. After much smashing against the bottom of the bridge it finally came open. Out poured loads of pennys, old 5 p's and coppers. It was worthless to us, so instead we walked all the way back to Epping Police Station leaving the bag under the bridge. We told the Police, the police having nothing better to do decided to have a look to see whether it was associated with any bank robberies or murders etc. We got lift there from the police, (who were nothing then empowered five year olds) playing with the siren and radio (doing moonlanding impressions "Houston, this is Apollo 11" etc. etc.). Anyway we got there and they picked it up and said if nobody claimed it, it would be are's to share. Or possibly if it helps to solve a crime, a reward.

I haven't heard anything since then, so I don't know what happened to the money. If anyone knows what happened to the money etc. etc. I would be very interested.

Earlier this year I left my wallet in Somerfield , of course they never found it and no -one handed it in , I work part time for minimum wage , all the money I had saved was in it , about £150 .
Whoever stole it has been having horrible nightmares ever since .:devil:

Marion

I've lost count of the number of £10 wins I've had on the lottery. I stopped counting when I reached £400 in tenners. Funny thing is though, I usually win the week I get paid - just when I don't need it.

But, they way I look at it, I'm winning the jackpot in installments.

And, before anyone asks, I don't use a fixed set of number just Lucky Dips.

There ought to be a word for the wicked pleasure felt in squandering
a windfall fiver, fantasizing that it had belonged to a poor
person. I bet the Germans have a word for it.

Widow's Mite Pleasure or something like WitwesPfennigLust?

But I was glad to hear that Redtom is a poo sticks fan - it's
much more fun than boring old Pooh-Sticks, water or no water.
:eek:

Well, James, I went in a ladies' in a country pub once and couldn't believe what I saw . . . no, I won't go on!

I like the way the Germans bung several words together to make another one. My favourite is Drachenfutter, literally 'Dragon Food', which is the name given to the box of chocs or bunch of flowers a bloke brings home to appease his wife after he's had a particularly lengthy night out with the lads.

Carole

a word for the wicked pleasure felt in squandering
a windfall fiver...

How about

schadenfraud

:D

There have been random acts of kindness involving strangers just handing out dosh, but it's never happened down my road.

Found:eek:ne pink fluffy wallet with unsigned credit card in! all sorts of fun envisaged, owner one french 14 yrold with ID card next 2 CC handed in and thanked!

I have had some strange experiences with finding or receiving money. the first one was when I had not long been married and we were stoney broke, we lived in a flat in what was a very unsavoury road, my wife whent shopping and found a wallet on the pavement containing £190 which was in those days a lot of money, we took it round to the police station and when the desk sergeant found out where we lived he shouted into the back office, "hey heres some one from M**** Ln found a wallet and PASSED IT IN , the guy who claimed it gave my wife a fiver, I wont say what iI thought of that.

The next occasion was when I was having a bath and found £200 ,but I dont want to bore you

On a family holiday in Wales when I was 11, I lost the £5 note that was my 'holiday money'. After much bawling, my Dad kindly replaced it. A few days after arriving back in London, I found a fiver on the street. I can't recall if I offered it to Dad or not(probably not), but it seemed that Fate itself had decided to replace the lost money.

I recall an item from a past issue of FT in which a guy had marked (defaced) a note with a pen, only for it to be handed back to him as change some months later in a different part of the country...

The Lecky Mouse said:
The next occasion was when I was having a bath and found £200 ,but I dont want to bore you
Oh go on... Bore us silly!

OK, prepare to be bored.
One day I came home from work feeling whacked and scruffy so I said to my wife I was going for a long soak in the bath, she said " ok I'll bring you up a cup" so I picked my library book and went up to the bath room. When my wife brought me a cup of tea I leaned over the side of the bath to put my book on the floor when to our astonishment £10 notes started to fall out from between the pages of the book,20 of them.
I phoned the library and asked if anyone had reported leaving money in a book, the librarian asked me how much, I said thats for the person who lost it to say, she said "no, but bring it in , in case someone reported it." I said no chance, I'll phone back again in a week . After two weeks of phoning nobody had reported leaving money in a book so I kept it.
I did feel a bit guilty about it. Was I wrong to keep it.

I would have done the same thing Lecky.

don't worry they were probably old and would have died soon anyway

I'll get me coat

don't worry they were probably old and would have died soon anyway

I'll get me coat

I worked it out that it was a bloke who didn't get out much and if he was an old feller, reading these kind of books might have stressed his heart, or maybe he was saving up to pay for a hooker.

I'll get my coat as well

Mysterious Generosity

In 1950 or so, my parents were on their way back from a visit, introducing my mother to her future in-laws. Driving back from North Carolina to Wisconsin, they were stopped by a passing motorist as they were going into a diner. The man driving the car asked my father if he and his wife needed money. My father explained that they were not yet married and couldn't afford to just yet. But they didn't NEED money, he explained. "We're not hurtin'" he actually said. The man in the car asked him if he belived in God, and my father answered yes. The man handed him an envelope and drove away. The envelope contained $500, which back then was like receiving $2500+ today. My parents went to the police, and there was a lot of uproar, disbelief on the part of the authorities (who just gives away money!?) and a lot of local media coverage on it. I have some of the newspaper clippings. The mysterious driver gave out money two or three more times in various amounts always asking the recipient if he or she believed in God. My father and mother got to keep the money and it paid for their wedding and gave them a start they would not have had without that gift.

For the first couple of years in London, i was perpetually broke. Literally every quid had to be looked after. One day I was leaving work when I came across £20 *stuck* to the pavement. I looked around but saw no-one, so I took it, rang a mate in the same financial position and we went to the pub for the first time in a fortnight. Bliss, them pints were, as we speculated if it was a money angel sticking notes to the ground. Not the greatest story, but there ya go... :spinning

At least the money you found was put to a very good use, zygmunt!

Carole

If I find money or valuables I ALWAYS try to return them as I'd like that done for me.

My son (about 13 then) once followed a trail of fivers and tenners on a convoluted path through a crowd of drunken revellers at a rugby club barbecue. He took them to the club secretary and found the £80-odd to be the bar's early takings, cashed up for safety (sic) and supposedly on their way to the safe via the treasurer's pocket. All the money was there and Junior was praised to the skies for his honesty.

To take a lower tone, I once saw a fiver fall out of a young lad's pocket as he cycled past into a sports ground. I followed him in, on foot, and eventually caught up.
I said, 'Did you just ride up Smith Street on your bike?' and he said words to the effect of, what if I did, you f*cking nosy old cow, to cheers from his mates. I was so angry at his rudeness that I held up the £5 which I'd been about to return to him, said, 'enjoy your game!' and walked off. No doubt he realised too late where his pocket money had gone! I bought my own polite kids a treat and laughed long and hard to myself.

Back