• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Monkey Language & Culture

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Monkey Language
Scientists say a rare Brazilian monkey has speech patterns that are similar to that of human beings.

They say the muriqui, or woolly spider monkey, uses at least 534 different phonetic phrases to communicate.

They talk most often after they wake up in the morning and before they go to sleep at night.

Scientist Eleonora Cavalcante Alvano said they have recorded 140 hours of the monkeys talking.

"There is no simian in the world with a language so close to humans," he told the Pesquisa science magazine.

Scientists from Campinas University in Sao Paulo say the species is also unusual because of the way they live.

Muriquis live in groups that are led by the best-loved - rather than the strongest - monkey.

Ther are among the world's rarest animals with fewer than 1,000 left in the wild. They live in the jungle northwest of Rio de Janeiro.
Anyone know anymore about this?

Muriquis live in groups that are led by the best-loved - rather than the strongest - monkey.

I like that - I wonder who would be leader of the human world on that basis? (Probably David Beckham or Ulrika Johnsen, depending how you interpret 'loved'! :D )

Less than a thousand left in the wild, now I wonder what caused their demise, couldn't be anything to do with humans could it ?

sceince

for what has been done in its name i formally appolgise for us all,
do they really think that they are that stupid if so we are all DOOMED.
its as bad as the inqusition all over again

This is a fascinating study which not only gives us insight into langauge potential but also into our own language evolution and even our potential evolution:

Aping Dr Dolittle

A Japanese researcher reckons he will soon have monkeys communicating with humans. And, Laura Spinney finds, it could reveal how language evolved.

Thursday November 25, 2004
The Guardian

In a laboratory in Saitama, central Japan, monkeys are behaving strangely. If someone sticks out a tongue, they do the same. If a person goes to unclip the latch on a box, the monkeys follow suit. If they need a rake to reach a piece of fruit, they ask for it with a special call. All of which is confounding experts, because none of it should be possible. Monkeys in the wild rarely ape, and as far as we know, they never, ever, ask for rakes.

The Japanese macaques raised in Atsushi Iriki's lab are not particularly gifted. But intriguingly, he expects them soon to be communicating with him vocally, using simple linguistic rules. This isn't just an elegant Dr Dolittle curiosity: it holds the real possibility of understanding autism in humans and unlocking the vast unused power of the human brain.

Iriki, head of the laboratory for symbolic cognitive development at the Riken Brain Science Institute, says his experiment will tap into neural systems monkeys always had, but have never been activated. He hopes to learn something about monkey thought, but more dramatically, about how language emerged in humans -and what happens when it breaks down in autistic children, for example.

So what lies behind Iriki's attempt? As the ape brain evolved, it accumulated the components of a language. By the time the vocal tract could support speech, we were already human. But our brains, according to Iriki, were "language-ready" much earlier. In the monkey, this happened in a more fragmented form. The only reason it did not emerge was that the conditions were never right. "Maybe in the wild, vocal communication was not necessary for monkeys to survive, or was even harmful," says Iriki. "Those functions were not expressed or were even suppressed, even though their brains were furnished with the machinery."

Iriki knew that monkeys would never be able to speak, lacking as they do the necessary vocal apparatus, but he became convinced he could perhaps exchange meaningful coos and grunts with them. To do so, he realised he would have to rear monkeys in an environment where to communicate in this way was not only safe, but in their interest. Could he encourage them to vocalise a primitive language? Would they use it to communicate not only with other monkeys, but even with him?

The experiment has excited his peers and won Iriki the Golden Brain Award, presented annually for brain research by the Minerva Foundation in the US. "This is a guy who is on to a really exciting research programme," says neuroscientist Michael Arbib of the University of Southern California. Monkeys in the wild produce a limited range of calls - alarm calls to warn of approaching predators, for instance. But, says Arbib, "the general consensus would be that the set of calls is pretty much innate. Iriki now seems to show that the call system may be much more flexible than we thought".

Iriki has a reputation for lateral thinking. Trained as a dental surgeon, he became interested in pain and by that route came to study the brain. Several years ago, he showed that a macaque trained to use a rake to grab a piece of fruit could operate just as skillfully whether it could see its own hand, or was prevented from seeing it and shown instead a video image of the hand, rake and fruit reward.

Based on those findings, Iriki argued that monkeys had a concept of body image that matched a nine-year-old child. The findings seemed to demonstrate a level of abstract thinking that nobody had suspected in monkeys - though researchers had long argued for it in chimps, orang utans and gorillas. And they created a dilemma for Iriki.

The problem was this: if monkeys have a relatively advanced view of themselves, how is it that they appear to be so oblivious to the behaviour of others, unable to follow the gaze of another monkey or imitate gestures, as even human toddlers can do? It mattered to Iriki because imitation and joint attention are considered key building blocks of the kind of shared understanding that makes communication possible. In the wild, monkeys rarely imitate. But two pieces of evidence suggested to Iriki that they could learn to - and they hinge on a recently discovered type of brain cell called a "mirror neuron".

Animal behaviour experts have very occasionally observed both imitation and joint attention - which lets one follow another's gaze - between mother and infant macaques in the wild. And, though macaques seem to show no interest in others' actions, activity in their brains suggests they do. It harbours a type of neuron that fires not only when it performs an action, but also when it sees another monkey perform the same action.

These mirror neurons were first identified by Giacomo Rizzolatti of the University of Parma, Italy, and colleagues in the early 1990s in an area of the macaque brain called the premotor cortex, and specifically in a sub-section called F5. Subsequently they have turned up in other areas. Luciano Fadiga at the University of Ferrara then found evidence that the human brain contained a mirror system of its own.

When Rizzolatti's group investigated the human brain more closely, using functional magnetic resonance imaging, they showed that, among other places, mirror neurons show up in Broca's area, which in the human brain is responsible for speech production. F5 in monkeys is associated mainly with hand movements, but is the anatomical equivalent of Broca's area.

There followed frenzied speculation about the role of mirror neurons. Rizzolatti and Arbib claimed that by providing the platform for imitation and shared understanding, they made language possible. Nevertheless, the question remained for Iriki: if humans and monkeys have mirror neurons, why are humans natural mimics while monkeys hardly ever imitate?

"Maybe monkey brains are unaware of the mirror neurons' potential," he says. "When their brains realised the possible uses of this system, perhaps due to the expression of a gene trig gered by some accidental incident in the course of evolution, that could have been the beginning of the explosion of intelligent functions."

Iriki suspects that a likely trigger for that realisation was human child-rearing practices. Using eye contact, mothers teach their babies to look in the same direction and to copy their actions. So in Iriki's lab, monkeys are reared as closely as possible to humans, with an intense relationship between the young monkey and its human carer.

In a study published last year, his group showed that three in four monkeys brought up in this way learned joint attention, and once they had learned it, began to imitate a human's actions without having to be taught.

Iriki is not the only scientist to experiment in this area. At Georgia State University, Atlanta, primatologist Sue Savage-Rumbaugh has taught a human-reared pygmy chimp to become adept at communicating with symbols. But the difference is that Iriki's macaques choose their own calls to express what they want. When he trained two macaques to use a rake to retrieve a fruit reward, and then to call for either food or the tool, he found the monkeys produced different cooing noises depending on what they wanted. "I think this is the evolutionary precursor of naming," he says.

Psychologist Klaus Zuberbühler of the University of St Andrews says that what Iriki reports is new: monkeys are not known to produce acoustically distinct sounds associated with novel events or objects - certainly not with a man-made tool.

Zuberbühler studies Campbell's and Diana monkeys in West Africa, whose calls are innate. "The acoustic structures of the different predator calls vary from one monkey species to the next, but those species are still able to understand each other," he says.

By contrast, Iriki's monkeys' new calls do not yet have much communicative power. Each monkey has a different call for a given object, and the sounds are not the same. Iriki thinks it might be possible to teach naive monkeys to imitate the calls of others, and in so doing, help them learn what they mean. They might then use the calls themselves, to express the same idea. He can envisage, say, a macaque calling to another macaque for a tool, which is then dutifully handed over.

"This is fascinating," says Fadiga, who thinks Iriki's work has the potential to reveal the origins of human language. But he also has doubts, not least that the monkeys will maintain any primitive language they develop. "The question is, do you think the monkeys need this language? Because if they do not need it, they will not teach others."

Rizzolatti, meanwhile, is excited by the possibility that monkeys have mirror neurons but are unable to use them. "That has some interesting implications," he says. "For instance, perhaps autistic children have the mirror system but cannot use it. Or perhaps it is there, but not fully developed."

One common symptom among autistic children is that they repeat words spoken to them without apparently understanding them - a phenomenon known as echolalia. At the same time, their language development is delayed, suggesting their mirror system may be malfunctioning. Rizzolatti speculates one could use tricks similar to Iriki's to improve the system's functioning in those kids.

Iriki does not think it too far-fetched to suggest that humans could one day tune into his monkeys' enriched repertoire of sounds, using it to converse with them at a simple level. Then there will be a debate as to whether it deserves to be called language.

"I think it's going to remain the case that language as we know it in humans is different from language that even the best brought-up ape is going to get to," says Arbib.

But Iriki is already thinking laterally again. If monkey brains have redundant capacity, why not human brains? "Human language and intelligence could be brought up to a much higher level than we are at now," he says.

"We are still in the middle of evolution. We can dream of the future."

---------------------------
Further reading:

www.brain.riken.go.jp/english/ Atsushi Iriki at the Laboratory for Symbolic Cognitive Development, Riken, Saitama, Japan

Mirror Neurons and the Evolution of Brain and Language by Maxim Stamenov and Vittorio Gallese, 2002 paperback (John Benjamins, Amsterdam). ISBN 1588112152

Source

It suggests:

1. We share the potential for language with our primate cousins and that it was the change in circumstances (growing group size, bipedalism, etc.) which allowed us to exploit that potential.

2. That we may have similar flaxiblity that could allow us to exceed wht we would think is possible for the brain. Its unclear what (as we currently don't need it) but lets speculate: telepathy, direct connections with computers, the rigours of living in space, manipulating extra limbs (organic or cybernetic), etc., etc. I occasionally read that some people think we will hit a wall where we really aren't smart enough to understand certain concepts (who knows we may not be smart enough to really understand the world around us and Forteana is the actual reality leaking through) but this would suggest that systems may adapt to extend our potential if we actually needed it.

More evidence that there's less difference between us and the other primates than some people would like to think.

Tool use confirmed in monkeys

UK researchers have collected the first hard evidence of monkeys using tools, Science magazine reports.

Cambridge researchers observed wild capuchin monkeys in the Brazilian forest using stones to help them forage for food on an almost daily basis.

Scientists have already known for some time that capuchins use tools in captivity, but have only occasionally observed them doing so in the wild.

But the latest findings confirm that the tool use was habitual, or routine.

The monkeys used tools for digging, for cracking seeds and hollow branches, digging for tubers (nutritious plant storage organs such as potatoes that often lie below the ground) and for probing tree holes or rock crevices.

They captured the monkeys on video in the Caatinga dry forests of northeastern Brazil.

Monkeying around

Digging was the most frequent type of tool use observed. The monkeys typically held the stone with one hand and used it to hit the ground quickly three to six times, while simultaneously scooping away the soil with the other hand.

In Science, Antonio Moura and Phyllis Lee write that the results suggest wild capuchin monkeys are far more skilled at understanding cause and effect than previously thought.

"We think these findings are extremely important for understanding the role of tools in cognitive evolution," said Mr Moura.

"I'm looking forward to returning to the field to try to specify more about the nature of the tools."

But the Cambridge anthropologists also propose that the monkeys may only use tools under certain ecological conditions, such as the long dry seasons of the Caatinga.

When food availability is stretched, using tools may be crucial, allowing the monkeys to obtain nutritional foods such as tubers that are otherwise inaccessible.

Antonio Moura observed the monkeys using tools a total of 154 times from October 2000 to March 2002.

The routine use of tools is well known in great apes such as chimpanzees. But making the step between these crude tools and those made by early humans required a giant cognitive leap.

Chimps can be shown how to strike flakes of stone from a "core" to use as cutting tools, as our early ancestors did.

But they seem unable to understand that making useful cutting flakes depends on striking the core at the right angle and with the right force - a skill that seemed to come naturally to even the earliest human tool-makers.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/s ... 083517.stm

Published: 2004/12/09 20:01:08 GMT

© BBC MMIV

There was a programme on last night about those Capuchin monkey's. Wildlife on one. Fantastic and it probably should have been given more air time and promotion than it received, i luckily stumbled accross it while channel surfing. The programme compared captive and wild monkeys and how the reacted to different situations. It was thought that captive monkeys were more intelligent because they were set tasks and had to solve them whereas wild capuchins were only tested when environmental factors demanded that the had to adapt. It really brought home to me how wide spread intelligance (not just trial and error) could be in the animal kingdom. These wild monkeys displayed not only problem solving but planning, foresight and preparation for weeks and months in the future. They even carried rocks heavier than themselves miles from rivers to the place where they cracked open the nuts. They had slots in the anvil stones (the flat rocks where they cracked the nuts) for holding different sized nuts. They reckon from the state of the anvils that these monkeys and there ansestors had been coming there for hundreds of years.

How long will it be before these monkeys are setting up there own stonehenges in the brazilian rainforests :D

I saw this to and was impressed with the monkeys defensive tactics against a wild cat (cant remember which one).They shot up a nearby cliff face and started pushing large rocks off the side to scare it away!! Class.

They were chasing a Jaguar away, i have to say its the first time ive ever seen anything like that on a nature programme, normally at the first sign of danger you won't see the monkeys for dust. I wonder will this programme start to question the belief that you have to have a certain body mass and brain size in order to be intelligent. Surely some of our ancestors (admittadly probably our earliest ancestors) were only as intelligent as these capuchins despite being bigger and we consider them to be part of the immediate human family tree. Maybe its a case of not how big your brain is but what you do with what you have.

Posts moved over to monkey language thread from the equivalent chimp one because chimps aren't monkeys ;)

Apology's for intruding on the Chimps Thread i only posted the capuchin stuff on that thread because i didn't see the monkey langague thread and waslulled into it by timbles post. I guess i should do a little extra checking for the right thread in future incase i end up making a monkey of myself again......sorry i couldn't resist that i'll get my coat.

Feen said:
Apology's for intruding on the Chimps Thread i only posted the capuchin stuff on that thread because i didn't see the monkey langague thread and waslulled into it by timbles post. I guess i should do a little extra checking for the right thread in future incase i end up making a monkey of myself again......sorry i couldn't resist that i'll get my coat.

Oh well we all know it was Timble's fault ;)

Don't make me start on the macaque jokes!!!!

Emperor said:

Sorry, I didn't spot the other thread either... :(

Timble said:
Emperor said:

Sorry, I didn't spot the other thread either... :(

No worries - it is part of my job to keep track of these things. ;)

Its a great report but makes much more sense here - when alongside chimps it doesn't seem quite as remarkable but in context it is an excpetionally important development. One of the reasons we know so much about chimps and their culture is that they have been so closely studied and different populations have been under near continupus study for decades. As we focus our attention on other animals we are finding similar abilities there which has big implciations for the evolution of our own abilities, etc. (interestingly the same issue of Science has an article comparing crows and apes - I'll post that on the crow intelligence thread).

The paper is:

de A. Moura, A.C. & Lee, P.C. (2004) Capuchin stone tool use in Caatinga Dry Forest. Science. 306 (5703). 1909.

Wild capuchin monkeys inhabiting dry forest were found to customarily use tools as part of their extractive foraging techniques. Tools consisted of twigs and sticks, often modified, which were used to probe for insects and, most frequently, of stones of a variety of sizes and shapes used for cracking and digging. The use of tools for digging has been thought to be restricted to humans. These monkeys, living in a harsh dry habitat, survive food limitation and foraging time constraints through their extensive tool use.

That monkey can read your mind

Jennifer Viegas
Discovery News

Tuesday, 8 March 2005

Monkeys can deduce what other monkeys and humans think, want and see based on visual cues, according to a new paper.

The study, in this week's issue of the journal Current Biology, is the first to show that monkeys, like humans, not only react to visual information, they can also use it to reason about the behaviour of others.

The findings suggest that certain human cognition skills are not as rare as once thought.

They also indicate that the ability to reason did not evolve in humans. Instead, the brainy trait probably passed down to us from our ape ancestors.

US researchers studied a population of free-range rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta) that live on the island of Cayo Santiago in Puerto Rico.

Despite their apprehension at getting close to humans, the monkeys sometimes try to swipe food from visitors to the island when the visitors are not paying attention.

This inspired Jonathan Flombaum, a graduate student in the psychology department at Yale University and colleague Assistant Professor Laurie Santos to test the monkeys on their ability to assess the visual perspectives of others.

Grape expectations

Flombaum and Santos devised six experiments. All involved a human holding a grape next to a curious monkey. For the first experiment, the human grape holder stood either facing the monkey or turned away from it.

In experiments two to five, the humans varied their positions relative to the monkeys and altered the monkeys' view with platforms and barriers.

For the final experiment, the human held up a small rectangular cut-out that blocked either the human's eyes or his mouth.

The experiments revealed that the monkeys would snatch grapes whenever the human could not see the monkey or when the human was not paying attention to the fruit.

Flombaum says that competition, in this case the desire for food, triggers a monkey's powers of deduction.

"What our studies certainly demonstrate is that in situations where the animal does deduce what another individual sees, that the animal uses the most reliable information in this context, namely, where that individual's eyes, and not any other part of their head, are pointing," he explains.

"We know that cells in the monkey superior temporal sulcus [part of the brain] encode this information.

"So in the contexts that the animal does come to deduce what another individual sees, the animal's brain just needs to ask itself, 'What occupies the coordinates in the world where that other monkey's or that person's eyes are pointing?'

"In our experiments, for example, if the answer the animal got was 'one of the grapes', then the animal knew this was not a good grape to approach."

Flombaum thinks other competitive situations could cause monkeys to make deductions about the knowledge and perspectives of others. For example, he says they might do this when trying to attract mates or when protecting offspring.

"If we are right that rhesus monkeys can 'mind read' in the ways that we say they can, then our own similar abilities probably did not evolve in us," Flombaum says.

"Instead, we appear to have been lucky enough to inherit them from our rhesus monkey and chimpanzee relatives."

While Flombaum does not believe in true psychic phenomena, he thinks that humans experience intuition based on such deductions; for example, when a person gets a sudden feeling that a situation should be avoided, or when a bad vibe suggests that someone is lying or staring, even when the possible victim cannot be sure.

Many of these skills are derived from the interchange between visual information and the brain's ability to encode it.

Linked with autism?

People with autism appear to have a hyperactive amygdala, part of the brain that deals with emotions and negative feelings.

A study in the latest issue of the journal Nature Neuroscience found that some autistic people tend to avoid making eye contact because anyone, even a mother or friend, can be perceived as a potential threat.

Flombaum believes that, in future, his work might help scientists to learn more about autism, its possible causes and potential treatments.

Dr Brian Hare, a researcher and postdoctoral associate at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, studies chimpanzees. And he says the new monkey study presents "welcome findings".

"The study on rhesus monkeys shows what many people have suspected, but didn't have the beautiful data to back up their theories with," Hare says.

"I hope to see more of this type of work in future because it is fun to learn more about monkeys and chimpanzees. This information also can tell us what makes humans so special and interesting."

Flombaum currently is testing monkeys with even trickier constraints than before. He has a human "accidentally" roll grapes down a ramp.

During the experiments, the human or the ramp are blocked in various ways that sometimes suggest to monkeys that the human does not realise the grape has rolled away.

So far, Flombaum says monkeys are making the expected assumptions about what the human sees, using this clever guesswork to steal quite a few grapes.

Source

Naughty monkey

And how could I resist this??

Monkeys like porn too

Jennifer Viegas
Discovery News

Tuesday, 8 February 2005

Pay-per-view television channels prove that humans will shell out cash to see sex and celebrities; now a new study reveals that monkeys also will pay to see sexy photographs and images of high-status individuals within their own social groups.

The study is the first to show that monkeys appraise visual information for its social value and can then use this data to spontaneously discriminate between images of their fellow monkeys.

Because many of the findings also apply to humans, the researchers say their findings could lead to a better understanding of neurophysiological disorders, such as autism, which affect how individuals view themselves and others.

Duke University Medical Center scientists publish their research online in the journal Current Biology.

Twelve adult male rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta) participated in the study. Researchers observed the macaques, housed in captivity, to determine their social order. Males and females were either high-status or low-status relative to their cage mates.

"In our colony, when we give treats - for example, dried fruit - to the monkeys, the higher-status monkey usually gets the lion's share, and the low-status monkey will generally give a submissive gesture [such as lowering its head] in this potentially stressful situation," says author Dr Robert Deaner, a postdoctoral research associate in the centre's neurobiology department.

"Higher-ranking animals usually, but not always, enjoy priority of access for food, coveted spatial locations, and mating opportunities," he adds.

Photographing monkeys' behinds

Next, the researchers took photographs of the macaques and loaded them into a computer program. Some females were photographed from behind, so that the image showed a close-up of their hindquarters. Other pictures were head shots of both males and females.

Four of the male monkeys then sat in front of computer screens. They were rewarded with juice whenever they shifted their gaze from one image to another. Some images resulted in more juice than other photos.

When given the choice between a photo of a low-status male with a high juice reward and a photo of a female's hindquarters, the male test subjects refused the extra juice so that they could gaze at the sexy female images. They also "paid" with juice to see photos of high-status males.

Conversely, the male monkeys required extra payment, meaning more juice, to view the faces of low-status males and females.

"We think that the monkeys value orienting towards all kinds of social information, but some types of information are worth more than others," says Deaner.

The study determined that when males look at high-status males they pay attention, but do not make sustained eye contact. Deaner says long looks could signal aggression and, under normal circumstances, could pose a potentially costly threat of violence.

Males did not look away as quickly when they admired the females' behinds.

"Viewing the hindquarters of a female, on the other hand, may provide a benefit, but no potential cost," Deaner says, and added that males likely check out the colour and size of the female's perineum, or her genitalia. A large, red perineum generally means she is ovulating.

In another phase of the test, Deaner and his colleagues placed the male monkeys in front of mirrors. While animal experts do not believe that rhesus macaques possess self-recognition, high-status monkeys spent 41% of the mirror time looking at themselves, while low-status monkeys only gazed at their reflections for 19% of the session time.

How is money involved?

Professor Colin Camerer at Caltech is an expert on neuroeconomics, an emerging field that uses detailed evidence about brain mechanisms, including cross-species comparisons, to improve our understanding of human economic behaviour.

Camerer says it is "no surprise" that male monkeys "really like looking at female posteriors". But he is puzzled that males would pay with juice to see high-status males, but would not look at them for very long.

"It is like a star-struck fan who waits for hours to see a favourite movie star, say Brad Pitt, but then is so star-struck that she immediately averts her eyes downward shyly," Camerer says.

The human link to the monkey findings could extend to autism.

"One of the main problems in people with autism is that they don't find it very motivating to look at other individuals," says Deaner's colleague Assistant Professor Michael Platt. "And even when they do, they can't seem to assess information about that individual's importance, intentions or expressions."

Platt says he and his team in future hope to use the findings to not only learn more about monkeys, but also to model how social motivation is processed by both macaques and humans.

Source

Published online: 17 May 2006; | doi:10.1038/news060515-11

Shouting monkeys show surprising eloquence

Monkeys string sounds together to create meaning.

Michael Hopkin

It may not be exactly poetry, but a species of monkey has demonstrated an unsuspected level of articulacy. Researchers working in Nigeria have found that putty-nosed monkeys can use their two warning calls as 'building blocks' to create a third call with a different meaning. It's the first example of this outside humans, say the researchers.

Putty-nosed monkeys (Cercopithecus nictitans) live in family groups, usually led by a dominant male who keeps a wary eye out for their two main enemies — leopards and eagles. A circling eagle will cause a male to warn his troop by making a series of calls called 'hacks', whereas a lurking leopard will prompt him to shout out a string of 'pyow' sounds. Different predators require different warnings because the treetops are generally the safest place to hide from a leopard, but staying under cover is more advisable when an eagle is around.

These two calls seem to be the only sounds in the putty-nosed monkey's repertoire. Researchers had observed that the monkeys sometimes use these calls in an apparently non-meaningful way: to yell at a fellow monkey, for example, without communicating a specific message.

But now zoologists have realized that at least one combination of these sounds has its own distinct meaning: up to three pyows followed by up to four hacks seems to mean 'let's move on'. This call sequence is given both in response to the presence of predators or simply as a sign to head for new terrain.

"Whenever a male gave these sequences the group would move on and leave," says Klaus Zuberbühler of the University of St Andrews, UK, who carried out the research in Nigeria's Gashaka Gumti National Park with his colleague Kate Arnold.

Long-distance calls

The team discovered this unknown ability in the putty-nosed monkeys when playing them recordings of either a leopard's growl or an eagle's shriek, to investigate their response. As expected, the monkeys usually produced the corresponding warning call.

But the monkeys also produced puzzling strings of pyow-hacks, which at first the researchers dismissed as simple mistakes. Then they realized that the monkeys tended to move in response to these calls, leading the researchers to suspect that they have a distinct meaning.

By tracking the movements of one particular group, they confirmed that the monkeys were significantly more likely to move on if the male produced a pyow-hack call. The researchers present their discovery in this week's Nature1.

Building blocks

This is the first example in the wild of a non-human using building blocks to create forms of communication, says Arnold. Although chimpanzees have been led to use rudimentary 'language' in the lab, they are usually taught by humans.

The trick is a handy way for putty-nosed monkeys to expand their vocabulary, Arnold adds. "Monkeys can't learn new calls," she explains. "But if they can combine calls, their repertoire might not be quite so limited."

www.nature.com/news/2006/060515/full/060515-11.html

Monkeys Monitor Weather, Too

Monkeys account for the weather when foraging, a behavior that may have contributed to the evolution of primate intelligence.

The Weather Channel reaches over more than 89 million households in the United States, but it might soon find its way to a whole new demographic: monkeys.

In an article published in the June 20th issue of Current Biology, a team of Scottish researchers reveal that monkeys may be able to remember past weather trends and act on this information when searching for food.

A team of researchers from the University of St. Andrews in Scotland monitored a group of gray-cheeked mangabeys (medium-sized monkeys that live in the rainforests of central Africa) over a period of 210 days, as the monkeys traveled from tree to tree in search of fruit.
Advertisement

A Mangabey's diet is high in figs, which ripen faster when the weather is warm. Since figs ripen intermittently, mangabeys will return to trees that previously held unripe fruit in order check on the fruit's progress.

"There is a lot of competition for fruit, so it would pay to be able to arrive first," said primate researcher Karline Janmaat, the study's lead author.

Janmaat and her fellow researchers discovered that after a period of warm and sunny days, monkeys were more likely to revisit trees where they'd previously found unripened fruit than after a stretch of cool and cloudy days. They also seemed to return sooner to the trees that had the most fruit if the weather since their last visit had been consistently warm.

"I really searched for other explanations, especially because the temperature differences we found were really small, like one degree [Celsius] average difference," said Janmaat, who was able to ruled out many other confounding factors, such as ability to smell or see ripe fruit or increased level of physical activity during warm weather.

So far, the weather explanation looks solid, said Michael Platt, a neurobiologist at Duke University who studies primates. He addeds that the finding provides new evidence for an alternate theory of the origins and function of primate intelligence.

"This would, at the least, require an episodic memory for recent weather patterns and their associated patterns of fruit rewards," said Platt. "This study adds to the very few that suggest a prominent role for foraging behavior in the evolution of primate intelligence."

Traditionally, research has suggested that primates developed large brains to help them negotiate the social world, since primates that live in larger groups have larger brains relative to their body size, Janmaat said. But primates with diets rich in ripe fruit, which is harder to find than many other food sources, such as leaves, gums or insects, also have larger brains.

"It's interesting to find out why fruit-eating animals would need large brains," Janmaat said. "This gives us more insight into what challenges could be influencing intelligent behavior."

source

Monkeys made stone tools 50,000 years ago that were discovered in Brazil - study

Stone tools that are estimated to be roughly 50,000 years old were found in Pedra Furada in northeastern Brazil, and that these tools were made by monkeys who lived in that time, according to a study that was first published in November.

The tools found at the sites are characterized 'by the use of immediately available raw material,' the study says.

The researchers also state that they're 'confident that the early archeological sites from Brazil may not be human-derived but may belong to capuchin monkeys.' The peer-reviewed study was published in the journal The Holocene.

Capuchin monkeys are usually found in the tropical forests in Central and South America. They are considered to be the smartest New World monkey.

https://apple.news/AgRtxQN9ZQGybCLGzQ3dDiA

The report in Holocene:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/09596836221131707

maximus otter

Back