• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Monkeypox / Monkey Pox

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
I have never heard of monkey pox.

A person coming from Nigeria went into a Dallas Hospital with monkey pox.

As I understand it, monkey pox is not as bad as small pox but it still can cause death.

You learn something every day !

The CDC on the scramble again as person in Maryland returned from Nigeria with monkey pox.

Monkey pox is spread by respiratory droplets.

After being absent for 40 years, monkey pox is spreading through Nigeria.

Usually one person in ten dies from monkey pox.

The American CDC has asked American doctors to familiarize themselves about monkey pox.

Usually confined to Central and Western Africa, the CDC is not sure why monkey pox has quickly spread in the world.

It was thought that it is hard for people to contract monkey pox, so what is different now ?

Countries having monkey pox is Australia, U.S., U.K., Germany, and France.

Last edited:
The American CDC has asked American doctors to familiarize themselves about monkey pox.

Usually confined to Central and Western Africa, the CDC is not sure why monkey pox has quickly spread in the world.

It was thought that it is hard for people to contract monkey pox, so what is different now ?

Countries having monkey pox is Australia, U.S., U.K., Germany, and France.
What is different may be compromised immune systems, after covid and all the injections.

The medical professionals do say that the smallpox vaccine would most likely prevent it. No one has been vaccinated from smallpox since the 1970's (not sure if that is a worldwide date, or just North American one).

Dr. Teresa Tam, Canada's top government doctor has stated that Canada has some vaccines, but the number is considered sensitive info and so won't actually say the number of vaccines we have.

And, yes, researchers are now investigating if the virus has changed in any way.

Exhibiting the symptoms from initial contact with the virus can take months...even years, and seeing as it's a xoonotic disease, originally seen in Laboratory animals in the fifties, and recently seen in Africa during the seventies, there's a good chance that it has been brought out of Africa to the rest of the world.

It is spread by droplet, so, mask on?

President Biden while in South Korea warns the world that countries should be concerned about this outbreak of monkey pox.

Oyewale Tomori representing the World Health Organization claims he is “ stunned “ as more countries are added to the list of being infected.

This disease is not supposed to spread easily to humans, maybe extremely occasionally to a person.

He claims this is a great mystery.

Not a mystery.
They are testing us for our reactions.

I am old enough to have had a small pox vaccination.

Maybe I am protected from monkey pox ?
I'm pretty sure I had one when I was a kid.
Not sure how effective it is now.

Some cases explaining the mysteriously rapid and widespread proliferation of this latest monkeypox outbreak relate to sexual transmission.
Monkeypox cases linked to adult sauna, fetish festival

Outbreaks of monkeypox have been linked to an adult sauna and a fetish festival, as it emerges some cases of the virus are likely being sexually transmitted. ...

A “sexual form of monkeypox” is being blamed for the global spread of the virus, with outbreaks now linked to an adult sauna and fetish festival.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) suggested human-to-human transmission is occurring between people who are in “close physical contact” with cases who are symptomatic, with officials also investigating a number of cases that have been linked to the gay community.

“Based on currently available information, cases have mainly but not exclusively been identified among men who have sex with men (MSM) seeking care in primary care and sexual health clinics,” WHO said.

An adult sauna in Spain has been linked to many of the monkeypox cases that have emerged in the city of Madrid. ...

The Paraiso sauna, a gay-friendly establishment in the heart of the city, revealed on Twitter that it was temporarily closing.

“The Paraiso sauna will remain closed for the next few days, a precautionary measure in the face of the alert … over the emergence of so-called monkeypox infections in the Madrid region,” it said.

Enrique Ruiz Escudero, a health official for the Madrid region, told reporters authorities had recorded 21 confirmed cases and 19 suspected cases.

“Most people who tested positive have a link to this source,” he said, referring to the sauna. ...

Three confirmed cases in Belgium have also been linked to a large-scale fetish festival in the city of Antwerp.

Darklands Festival is a four-day event which encourages visitors to “explore their sexuality and develop a safe and sane interest for the many fetishes in our community”. ...

Organisers of the event recently issued a warning to attendees that the three monkeypox cases officially identified in Belgium have been linked to visitors at the festival.

“There’s reason to assume that the virus has been brought in by visitors from abroad to the festival after recent cases in other countries,” the organisers said in a statement. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/h...l/news-story/cebc3d3f423ac3afdbfdd720e5a4638d

I write in complete innocence: what's the homosexual angle here?

It was emphasised for a couple of days and then notably de-emphasised in the UK/US media, but I don't know whether that's because the purported link turned out to be spurious or coincidental, or because the media/government thought they were risking stigmatisation.

I'm not clear whether transmission happened to have flourished among gay networks or whether the transmission has some specific novel sexual mechanism.

Edit: immaculate timing from Enola Gaia.

I write in complete innocence: what's the homosexual angle here?

It was emphasised for a couple of days and then notably de-emphasised in the UK/US media, but I don't know whether that's because the purported link turned out to be spurious or coincidental, or because the media/government thought they were risking stigmatisation.

I'm not clear whether transmission happened to have flourished among gay networks or whether the transmission has some specific novel sexual mechanism.

Edit: immaculate timing from Enola Gaia.

"You're extremely unlikely to have monkeypox if:

• you have not recently travelled to west or central Africa
  • you have not been in close contact with someone who has monkeypox (such as touching their skin or sharing bedding)"
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/monkeypox/

maximus otter

I am old enough to have had a small pox vaccination.

Maybe I am protected from monkey pox ?
Funnily enough me and my friend were trying to work out if we were old enough or not to have had the vaccine or not. Might be quite handy if so.

I find it strange that prior to this outbreak of Monkeypox the only way to catch it was by an exchange of body fluids. i.e. snogging, sex, etc.

As each day goes by there seems to be more ways to catch it.

The U.S. stopped small pox vaccinations in 1972.

Spain claims their 23 cases are linked to a gay sauna near Madrid, Spain.

Funnily enough me and my friend were trying to work out if we were old enough or not to have had the vaccine or not. Might be quite handy if so.
The smallpox vaccine was given up to 1971 in the U.K.
My skin n blister tells me that her son born in 1970 was given the jab, but her daughter born in 1972 wasn’t.
My sister, born early 1950‘s received the jab as a baby and had a second jab a few years later due to a local outbreak.

From what a doctor said on TV, supposedly casual contact does not usually pass the virus.

One has to contact for a while or exchange body fluids.

I've got a little scar on my left upper arm, presumably from a childhood smallpox inoculation. I doubt it is still effective after about seventy years.

I did not think about, but after seventy something years, my scar is hardly there.

Back