• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Monoliths' Found In Utah & Elsewhere (2020-2021)

Or two of them and you'll have a stereolith.

1607377178680.png

Technicaly a sterolith

The pointy bits on obelisks are called...
cone heads.jpg . . . conehead heads.

Update on the IoW "Monolith".

Isle of Wight monolith: Designer claims responsibility for structure

A designer has told the BBC he erected a monolith on a British beach in tribute to others which have popped up around the world.
The pillar, similar to ones in the US and Romania, sparked global headlines after it was found on the Isle of Wight off the south coast of England.
Tom Dunford, who lives on the island, said: "I did it purely for fun."
The gleaming structure on Compton Beach has been attracting an influx of visitors since its discovery on Sunday.
The reflective structure sparked a stir on social media about who put it there and why.
Tom Dunford with monolith

Mr Dunford, 29, from Fishbourne, told BBC Radio Solent: "If the aliens were to come down I think they'd go for the safest place which is the Isle of Wight in tier 1 [Covid restrictions].
"I was convinced it would be stolen in the first couple of hours."
Mr Dunford, who works for a design company, said: "When I saw the first one pop up [in Utah] I thought it was brilliant, the second one popped up and I had a text from a friend which said 'you're the man that can do this on the island'.
"I'm absolutely fascinated in futuristic design, science and space. The actual idea sparked when I was walking back to the office and we had an old sheet of mirrored perspex."
Mr Dunford said he told a few trusted friends and relatives about his plan before he drove down to the beach at 04:00 GMT on Sunday to install it.
"I'm one of these guys, once I get a creative streak I have to just go for it," he added
(C) BBC.'20

Last edited:
"Line them all up and you'll have a colonnade. "
Or a very awkward conversation with conservationists and the police.

Tribute ... copycat ... art installation commentary?
So many excuses apart from any paranormal ones.

Another 'monolith' appeared in a shopping / restaurant area of El Paso, Texas sometime yesterday (December 7).

ElPaso-Monolith.jpg

Another mysterious monolith appears – in El Paso’s Upper Valley

The latest mysterious metal monolith to appear across America is here in the Sun City. It was found Monday night in El Paso’s Upper Valley.

Onlookers gathered to get their picture taken with the tall, silver, shining object near Sunset and Doniphan, across from an Ardovino's Pizza restaurant.

In recent weeks, monoliths have mesmerized people in a number of western U.S. states. ...

It's unclear what the point of these metal objects are, or whether or not they are related to one another. Social media has floated the idea that they are simply art pieces meant to create confusion for those who discover them. ...

FULL STORY: https://kvia.com/news/el-paso/2020/...h-appears-this-time-in-el-pasos-upper-valley/

Aaaaaand ... It's taken away ...
El Paso’s Upper Valley monolith abruptly removed by group of people who drive away with it

The latest mysterious metal monolith across America appeared Monday night in El Paso’s Upper Valley, but it didn't last long.

Hours after onlookers gathered to take pictures with the tall, silver, shining object near Sunset and Doniphan, across from an Ardovino's Pizza restaurant, it disappeared.

Video posted to social media by the group Fit Fam El Paso shows a group of people removing the monolith, pulling it out of the ground and loading it into a vehicle before driving off.

"And just like that... the El Paso monolith was gone," Fit Fam wrote.

FULL STORY: https://kvia.com/news/el-paso/2020/...ed-by-group-of-people-who-drive-away-with-it/

Another so-called 'monolith' - seemingly less mysterious than previous ones - has appeared in Albuquerque.

Monolith-Albuquerque.jpg

Mystery monolith appears in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where we love aliens

Albuquerque mayor Tim Keller tweeted a photo of the shiny object with the city's scenic Sandia Mountains in the distance on Monday. "We want to believe," Keller wrote, dropping an X-Files reference. "Monolith has been spotted in ABQ! What do you think it means?" ...

FULL STORY: https://www.cnet.com/news/mystery-monolith-appears-in-albuquerque-new-mexico-where-we-love-aliens/

... And a local woman describes her successful attempt to hug it ...
I hugged a monolith and it felt suitably mysterious

A monolith appeared in my town of Albuquerque, New Mexico, and even our mayor took notice. "We want to believe," tweeted Tim Keller (a noted heavy metal fan) on Monday.

I had to go see it for myself. Touch it. Look for signs of extraterrestrial origin. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.cnet.com/news/i-hugged-a-new-mexico-monolith-and-it-felt-mysterious/

Another 'monolith' mysteriously appeared near Sulzbach, Germany, at some point this past weekend.

Monolith-Sulzbach.jpg

Google Translation:
Mysterious column near Sulzbach

Sure, until recently many had never heard of Piatra Neamt in Romania or the town of Atascadero in California. And an area in the Utah desert that is especially interesting for sheep doesn't even have a real name. But since a shiny monolith can be seen in these places, they have received worldwide attention. So why shouldn't Sulzbach also have been haunted by aliens? Although one could well know the community because the oldest shopping center in Germany is located there. In a field very close to the Main-Taunus-Zentrum, walkers came across another shiny pillar on Saturday.

Like the models in America and Romania, more than three meters high, confirms the spokesman for the community, Holger Klink. He currently has to give more information on the phone. In contrast to its relatives, the Hessian monolith has not disappeared without a trace, it has just fallen over. The construction, held together inside by wooden triangles, according to Klink, sounds less like extraterrestrial technology than like a hardware store.

The farmer who owns the field has nothing to do with the matter. Nor is it an idiosyncratic form of city marketing. "We will watch the matter," says the spokesman. Not to see if extraterrestrial life is stirring. But whether the community has to pay for the disposal.

SOURCE: https://www.faz.net/aktuell/rhein-m...ysterioese-saeule-nahe-sulzbach-17091855.html

However, it fell victim to the same rapid demise as the others ...
Gone-olith: Mystery 10-foot pillar in Germany destroyed

A mysterious 3-meter (10-foot) tall metal pillar that appeared on a field near the central German town of Sulzbach over the weekend has been reduced to scrap.

German news agency dpa reports that the pillar, one of many so-called monoliths that have appeared without explanation around the world in recent weeks, was destroyed by unknown persons late Tuesday.

It quoted a local official in Sulzbach saying Wednesday that the debris has already been taken to a junkyard to avoid endangering passers-by. ...

SOURCE: https://apnews.com/article/oddities-germany-f194921105ae08c50025995ff409fc99

Just as mysterious as the monoliths are the folks who spirit them away. Maybe there's just one monolith and it's doing the rounds globally? Watching Have I Got News For You a few days ago, I saw Dr Hannah Fry pointing out the first one was replaced with the words "Bye Bitch" written on the sand, and a patch of urine. What was (possibly) a bit of fun has turned a bit nasty.

Just as mysterious as the monoliths are the folks who spirit them away. Maybe there's just one monolith and it's doing the rounds globally? ...

No - they're not the same. The photos and sketchy descriptions suffice to demonstrate the earliest ones were different in terms of size, features, etc.

The mysterious appearance of this North Carolina mini-monolith (minilith?) occurred a week ago, but wasn't reported until day before yesterday.
Mysterious monolith appears in downtown Fayetteville

Just 15 days after an 11-foot, metal monolith was first sighted in a Utah desert, a similar-looking, smaller piece mysteriously appeared in downtown Fayetteville.

The 3-foot-tall structure was installed upright in a raised flower bed located on the sidewalk on Hay Street.

The three-sided, bare structure immediately sparked the curiosity of downtown’s merchants, residents, and visitors alike. The monolith has left them questioning who is behind it and how it arrived here. ...

On Dec. 3 at 5 p.m., a camera captured a man getting out of a white van from the Blashfield Sign Company. Glass couldn't release the video but said that "someone is clearly putting the pillar in the dirt."

WRAL News approached the the sign company to inquire. The owner, Matt Blashfield, didn't want an interview. When asked about the installation, he chuckled and mentioned that he had stopped to take a picture of the monolith but didn't put it there. ...

Fayetteville police say that whoever put it there will not be cited.

FULL STORY:
https://www.wral.com/mysterious-monolith-appears-in-downtown-fayetteville/19419308/

Glastonbury Tor: 'Not Banksy' monolith appears on hill

A mysterious metal monolith bearing the words "Not Banksy" has appeared on top of Glastonbury Tor.
Walkers discovered the large chunk of metal lying on its side on Wednesday morning - it is believed to have been placed there overnight.
Michelle Cowbourne said "I couldn't believe my eyes" when she spotted the monolith at the National Trust site.
Since a monolith was photographed in Utah last month, similar structures have popped-up around the world.
A stencil drawing of a rat, similar to the style used by the Bristol street artist Banksy, featured on the structure.
Ms Cowbourne saw it at about 07:30 BST on Wednesday while on her regular morning walk.
"I walked up the long slope side and this was on the other side and when I saw it I couldn't believe my eyes," she said.
"I just thought what on earth is that."
She said it was lying on its side but with the help of some other walkers on the ancient hilltop, they moved it upright - with difficulty.
(C)BBC. '20

Here's a photo and news article about a Hungarian specimen. (News item is Google-translated; published 11 December).

Monolith-HU-201211.jpg
After Utah, a mysterious metal column also appeared at the New Palace

In terms of country image, Santa Claus did not drop the first lucky monolith in the middle of a grassy plain, with the gray concrete strip of the Újpalota housing estate in the distant background. According to our readers, the export is also quite Hungarian:

"Not solid, but riveted to a metal frame"

... he wrote after visually inspecting the strange object. Shortly after the first letter, several people reported to our newspaper about the Hungarian metal column in Újpalota. The dog of one of them suspiciously sniffed the strange structure, which rises on the large, grassy pampana surrounded by the Rákospalota border road and Szentmihályi út.

The strange monolith first appeared in the United States, in the state of Utah, in the desert, and then disappeared. This was followed by another in California, which was soon removed by a group of men while reportedly chanting, among other things, “Jesus Christ is King”. and that "we don't want illegal aliens from Mexico or space!"

The monolith then arrived in Europe: a similar one was found in Romania and Belgium.

It is not yet known who will stack the strange metal poles in different parts of the world. The most likely assumption so far is that the first mysterious metal columns may have come from a group of New Mexican artists. Whoever made the first one quickly found followers in Europe as well.

SOURCE: https://telex.hu/szorakozas/2020/12/11/utah-femoszlop-monolit-ujpalota

Back