• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Monster Fish Of Japan

The Sado Island ferry met with a sea monster in March:
Japan news report

Around 80 people injured and the hull damaged when it collided with... something. Some say a whale, others say something like a giant squid, but no culprit was found. I don't want to say Godzilla, but...

The Sado Island ferry met with a sea monster in March:
Japan news report

Around 80 people injured and the hull damaged when it collided with... something. Some say a whale, others say something like a giant squid, but no culprit was found. I don't want to say Godzilla, but...

The boat is described as being capable of 80 kph, which is roughly 50 mph. At that speed, any substantial piece of flotsam could have caused extensive damage. There is no evidence in the report that unequivocally shows that it hit something animate — let alone a giant unknown species.

A serious hazard for yachts and small to medium vessels is things like shipping containers, waterlogged tree trunks, and partly full storage drums (oil, chemicals etc.) which float at or near the surface, but completely awash. You don't see them until you hit them, and you may never know what you hit.

It happens quit often even round the UK I was involved in
repairing a big cruiser as in gin palace that had hit something
wile doing 30 knots out in Morecambe bay tore the center out
of one of the props, and a year or two back one of the RoRo's hit
a wale impaling it on the bulb, the bit that sticks out under water
from the bow, they tried full astern to wash it off but no luck and
some poor sod of a dock worker got a grizzly job.

Back