• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Monsters

Many years ago, I lived in Coventry, and some friends of mine had next-door neighbours who were eerily reminscent of the half-human, half-batrachian Marshes of H.P. Lovecraft's 'The Shadow over Innsmouth'. They looked distinctly amphibian, and, as they drank in the same pub as us, we were able to note that they drank outside in the beer-garden on overcast damp days, but retreated to the interior of the pub in hot sunny weather. Its difficult to explain how very un-human they appeared, in looks and behaviour. They really did give the impression of trying to 'fit in' with the people around them, but doing it really badly.

Perhaps they were just unfortunates with some genetic disorder, or perhaps they really were monsters. To be honest, at this remove, the whole thing seems most unliklely to have really happened, and if it was just my recollection, I'd blame the psychedelics. However, I'm still in contact with some of the other people who noticed them, and their memories seem to agree with mine. Certainly they made enough of an impression to still crop up in conversations over 20 years later.

Evilsprout said:
That particular creature was in Longendale wasn't it? I remember reading it had huge white eyes that spun round while it slithered across the road. Scary.

Yup! On a September night in the 1950's John Davies, a railway signalman saw what he described as a "huge black slug" with "a white eye with a black pupil." Turned out two other people had similar experiences which took place near the hairpin bend known as The Devil's Elbow on the B6105. (Source - Supernatural Peak District, David Clark. Published by Robert Hale, 2000)

I have a feeling that a slug like beast was reportedly sighted near Loch Ness early on in the modern spate of Nessie sightings.

There was sightings of slug like creature/s by Loch Ness (early sightings). A large slug like creature was said to be seen on the road that runs along the length of the loch. Seems the appearence of Nessie has changed slightly over the years as it is now decribed as more of a dinosaur like creature. Where the sightings have takes place have changed silghtly too. From near the loch to in the loch.

luce

It never ceases to annoy me that after years of living near the Dark peak, I've never seen nowt, me.
No monsters, no lights in the sky, no black helicopters, no weird 'freeze rays' what kill sheep - nothing.

Actually, as I think I've mentioned before, there's an odd ghost story connected to an old park near here which some people interpret as being more 'monstrous' - a creature composed of glowing green mist which makes a whistling/crying noise as it floats about. I've never seen it, but I have heard an odd whistling in that neighbourhood, in the early hours of the morning. Probably just someone whistling for their dog, though.

A few people I know claim to have caught a glimpse of it, that said. Claim, I say, *claim*.

DanHigginbottom said:
It never ceases to annoy me that after years of living near the Dark peak, I've never seen nowt, me.
No monsters, no lights in the sky, no black helicopters, no weird 'freeze rays' what kill sheep - nothing.

I shouldn’t worry about it mate. During the winter months my brother drives a gritter overnight, in all weathers, through some of the most savage bits of the Peak and claims never to have experienced anything out of the ordinary. Mind you, I suppose
when you do a job like that even if a four-foot tall alien with a yeti on a lead did stop you and ask for directions you’d have to blank out the experience or you’d never get back in the cab.

Dark Peak

Me neither! Even when I've been strolling on the moors completely out of my tree!

I reckon THEY are making all these stories up - 3 people here and no-one's seen a dicky-bird? What are the odds on that - eh?

Re: Dark Peak

wintermute said:
I reckon THEY are making all these stories up - 3 people here and no-one's seen a dicky-bird?

Whoah, don't jinx us. If, next time I'm out on the moors, I get harassed by a huge white-eyed slug we'll be having words - once I've changed my trousers of course.

I think it is the lakemonsterologist and dragonographer Michel Meurger who suggests that some places have an atmosphere that demand a monster should haunt them. In other words that people in the past invented monsters to explain feelings that, well, they couldn't explain. I think that there are plenty of areas in both the Dark and White Peak that fit the bill.

While I was thinking about this I remembered the following story which I will try and find a source for. Just inside the Peak National Park, to the west of the A 53 between Buxton and Leek, beyond the line of rocks known as the Roaches, is a very small body of water known as Turner's Pool. The story goes that a woman from outside the area took a dip in this pool one very hot summer's day. Gradually she was overwhelmed by a sense of terror and something that she said she couldn't describe precisely but which was huge came out of the water and towered over her. That's all I can remember but I can find out more. Turner's Pool is way too small to contain any formal "real" type of water monster and this story always struck me more as fitting more in the mould of an encounter with some sort of guardian spirit. Water sources are pretty scarce over many parts of the Peak and for somewhere so far from the sea there are an awful lot of mermaid legends both in the Dark and the White.

Has anyone seen a demon or monster.

Recently my mother told me a story about when she was about 22 and I was just a tot.

This I believe is true as I have no doubt in my mothers honesty.
The event was short but scary, she waited over 19 or so years to tell anyone as she felt even her mother wouldn't believe her but as a an ameteur investigator of the paranormal and have a firm belief in the un-earthly she decided to tell me.

My mother was up late(ish) about 11pm to midnight or so and I had been put to bed so she was by herself(no Dad im afraid) as she was often in those days.

She heard a scratching and scraping at the window a few times and decided to look outside what she saw frightned her almost to death she said, A face and hunched body were looking back at her. she looked at it for a few seconds it was humanoid she explained but had an animals face and it either had horns sweeping back or hair and red large slit eyes it was about her size.

she leapt back and didn't look again but felt that it couldn't get in the house. she was horrified though. she tells me she was never comfortable in her house it was in Wellingborough England.

Has anyone had similar things happen to them? not just in thier house but outside too or had any type of crossover to the 'underworld' ?

Think on this, what triggered off the conversation where my mother told me this was when I said "I'm telling you thier are worst things than ghosts roaming earth" look at Cryptozoology and Esoterica on this site. please reply my mother needs to know.

My BF was playing around with ouija boards and table-tipping, as you do in your 20s, and found that he and his friends seemed to have summoned something.
It was a sort of black smudge which hung around the corners of rooms for a while, exuding terrible hatred. Fair rattled him.

To Escargot
My BF was playing around with ouija boards and table-tipping, as you do in your 20s, and found that he and his friends seemed to have summoned something.

I've always thought Ouija boards were a scary thing to mess about with, you could summon up anything. how do they work any way? do you need any skill whats the worst thing that could happen? :eek!!!!:

Any answers to this and my original question any one else.

Well, I think the problem with ouija boards is that you are supposed to open your mind and make it more receptive when you use them. This can make it easier for whatever may (if you believe that kind of thing) be out there, to jump in and take over.

That's the way I've always understood it anyway, in my simple laymans manner.

I have a hard time accepting the idea that Milton Bradley has managed to create a portal between our world and another...

I have a hard time accepting the idea that Milton Bradley has managed to create a portal between our world and another...

Hate to be a pain in the ACE;) but who in the name of Crowley is Milton Bradley. I really need to know I think:confused:

I think Milton Bradley are a games company who make ouija boards :)

Adrian Veidt said:
I think Milton Bradley are a games company who make ouija boards :)

Exactly! Unless you're working with an authentic board (and no I don't know what I would say qualifies as authentic) me thinks that it is mostly in your noggin. :)

Originally posted by Glensheen'sGirl

Well put, GG. Would ToysRUs sell these if there is anything to it? Somehow I doubt it. Has anyone ever recorded a ouija board on video while in use in a double-blind test? Parker Brothers would love to see the results, I'm sure.

BTW, are demons cryptids? Is this thread in the wrong forum, or does anyone here think they're not supernatural? Not trying to sound like a wiseacre, I honestly wonder if anyone considers them earthly creatures?

Glensheen'sGirl said:
Exactly! Unless you're working with an authentic board (and no I don't know what I would say qualifies as authentic) me thinks that it is mostly in your noggin. :)

Well, my earlier point was that it wasn't the board itself, but the mental state which would cause the danger (if any) If someone is in a susceptible state then it doesn't matter if they are using a glass and letters written on paper, or just staring at a blank wall.

Are demons cryptids? Depends if you classify them with Black Dogs etc. I suppose that there's no way of knowing if the horned beast in the garden is supernatural in origin or just a really cool Bigfoot variant. Could explain the minotaur legend, finally dismissing that silly explanation about Mithras worship (irony).

Has anyone seen a demon

What exactly constitutes a demon? Is it a soul persecuted to the point of negative reaction or perhaps a form of destructive energy. I,ve never been sure and would like this cleared up .

here is one definition of what a demon is.

the site(after a little trawl) has this to say too:

"DEMON
Various entities that have never lived, which allegedly have the ability to intervene in the affairs of humankind. Demons are evil and are the minions of Satan. Their sole purpose is to tempt and torment people and lead them into sin. They can take on any form."

and

here is an definition from an RPG called 'Sorcerer'.

and dictionary.com says:

dai·mon (dmn) also de·mon or dae·mon (dmn)
n. Greek Mythology

1. An inferior deity, such as a deified hero.
2. An attendant spirit; a genius.

[Greek daimn. See d- in Indo-European Roots.]

hope this helps! :D

Adrian Veidt said:
Well, my earlier point was that it wasn't the board itself, but the mental state which would cause the danger (if any) If someone is in a susceptible state then it doesn't matter if they are using a glass and letters written on paper, or just staring at a blank wall.

Yes, I would agree with that statement.

According to biblical reference a Demon is an evil angel that followed satan in his break away from god.

They live as entities as they have had the power of taking on full physical form and there fore they resent humans and lead them into evil. but i think we should go onto religion.

My question was has any one seen a supernatural entity of any kind my mother has no explanation of what her experience was but it was un natural could.

this was the only thread i could think of to put it in if i should re-publish it which thread shall i put it on?:confused:

I don't think the concept of Demon comes from the bible. It might have been used in the bible in later translations of course. But I think originally it was used in greek as an expression for some kind of higher creature. Something more powerful than human and magical, I think they used the word daimon. And it doesn't have to be evil, it could just as well be good. I think Jesus would actually come under the definiton of a daimon.

Daimonion, I think it was. It just doesn't look right in Roman characters...

All cultures (for the most part) have their evil and good spirits I do tend to believe that the evil ones do try to scare humans but for the most part humans need it

Because they got the hick-ups?

I just mean the term demon was from ancient greece. And it wasn't anything like the ones you see in Buffy or other horror flicks.

Yeah I know what your saying Xanatac.

I'm just saying can you imagine where humans had conquered their fear of the supernatural or not scared of it anymore.

Humans need that fear at the back of their head a restraining thought even the most hard core scientist might be freaked to see his teenage child on ouija board, why? because it can exist god can exist and therefore a balance of evil higher powers too.

But that is just an observation of man kind.

Hmm, I don't have to forgive, you didn't do anything wrong. I was just trying to clear up some misconceptions you have on the term demon. I was just trying to say that classifying what your mother saw as a demon was probably wrong.

Back