• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Monty Python

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Monty Python is Fortean no? Certainly helped redefine weirdness on TV (or spread Milligans weirdness further depending on your wont ;) ) .

Anyway they are casting for the young pythons in the upcoming autobiographical film (it would be great if some of the FTMBers with kids could sneak their kids in ;) ):

WORLDWIDE OPEN AUDITIONS BEING HELD TO PLAY YOUNG MONTY PYTHONS IN GRAHAM CHAPMAN BIOGRAPHY FILM

press release from Hippofilms
Friday, 6 February 2004

Los Angeles, CA (February 2, 2004) -- Hippofilms, a Los Angeles-based film production company, has announced a worldwide casting call for the roles of the young members of Monty Python, for the upcoming theatrical film, Gin and Tonic, a comic-drama based on the life and times of late Python Graham Chapman.

Visit the Gin and Tonic movie website for more information

The first open audition is scheduled in Hollywood, California, on March 20th, 2004. It will be supervised by Hippofilms president, David Eric Brenner. Subsequent auditions, in New York, London and Tokyo will be announced in the near future.

Hippofilms will work closely with The Literary Executor of Graham Chapman estate, Jim Yoakum, to select six young actors to portray the world-famous comedians (Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin).

Brenner stated, "We wanted to cast as wide a net as possible for the Pythons. Our goal isn't just to find six look-alikes, but to discover six incredibly talented performers who embody that Pythonic brilliance and lunacy."

The auditions will also be an opportunity for Python fans to display their unusual brand of fanaticism. Outside the audition hall, local actors and die-hard fans will perform original comic sketches for their peers on a community stage.

"We want these auditions to be fun, somewhat silly affairs that Graham would be proud of. That's why we're giving away prizes for the most absurd costumes," says Brenner.

Toy Vault, a U.S.-based toy company, will unveil their latest prototypes of Monty Python-related toys -- including a stuffed bunny with huge, pointy teeth -- at the Hollywood audition.

Those seeking further information about the auditions can visit the GIN AND TONIC movie website: http://www.ginandtonicmovie.com

The address for the Hollywood audition is 5540 Hollywood Boulevard, Hollywood, California 90028. Reservations: 310-445-9157, ext. 4.

Hippofilm's last movie was the 2002 romantic comedy, Rent Control, written and directed by Brenner, and starring Melissa Joan Hart, Ryan Browning and Carmen Electra. Also in development at Hippofilms is the Olympic-themed motion picture, Pepper in the Blood, which Brenner is co-producing with Brian Dyson, former Vice-Chairman of The Coca-Cola Company.

Prior to founding Hippofilms in 2001, Brenner spent four years in the international distribution department of Alliance Atlantis Entertainment. He was also a playwright in New York City.

For more information or interview requests, please contact: Tex Wall, Director of Creative Affairs, Hippofilms, (310) 445-9157 or [email protected]

http://www.dailyllama.com/news/2004/llama227.html

The official website:

http://www.ginandtonicmovie.com

Emps

g&t

The casting should be interesting. In comedy terms, it's like trying to cast for the Beatles.

Re: g&t

condreye buch said:
The casting should be interesting. In comedy terms, it's like trying to cast for the Beatles.

Well, even though he's probably too old, it seems patently obvious to me who should be one of the cast members: Jim Caviezel (the star of The Passion) as Graham Chapman (Brian). A certain Australian movie star would go apoplectic, I think.

And it would provide a useful opportunity for an experiment. If Caviezel was not struck by lightning during the filming, I think some interesting conclusions could be drawn. :D :eek:

Graham Chapman's autobiography is worth a read, although how much is true I don't know. He certainly had his problems.

John Cleese's "reading" at Graham Chapmans funeral,.......classic..

I can definately see Jack Black complete with half coconut shells as Patsy, King Arthurs faithful steed.

Become a Monty Python

Saw this report on IMDB today:

Want To Join the Circus?

Hippofilms says it is looking for six young actors with a talent for silliness to play the members of Monty Python's Flying Circus in a feature movie about their early days. As reported by Britain's Empire magazine, the production company plans to hold open auditions for the roles in London, Los Angeles, New York and Tokyo (?). "Our goal isn't just to find six look-alikes," producer David Eric Brenner told the publication, "but to discover six incredibly talented performers who embody that Pythonic brilliance and lunacy." The movie is based on the memoirs of the late Python member Graham Chapman.

Who from this board should try out, and for who? :D

I wanna be Carol Cleveland.....she must be in the film.

I'm sure they need look no further than the FTMB!

Carole

Pity I don't look remotely like any of the Python team ... I'd dearly love to take part! If I was able, I would've liked to have played Terry Gillam.

Why don't they ask the members of Monty Python for their ideas on who should play them?

Oooh tricky. Very tricky indeed - I'd be honoured to be any of them. Having read and re-read Chapman's memoirs (it's on my fave booklist, wherever that is, in chat), it'll make a fascinating movie.

At a push, it'd have to be Cleese, or Palin. Can't decide.

I don't think I could play any of them either. Maybe Terry Jones if I dyed my hair, shaved. My Welsh accent isn't very good, though.

I could play Marty Feldman. If I hunched down to look shorter. And lost some weight. And put ping pong balls over my eyes.

I wonder if they'll leave all the sex in. Chapman was a tad obsessed, even before he realised he was gay.

Well Carol Cleveland is already taken, and I don't think I can pull off any of the other characters even on a good day. I do think I could be in the background in the Ministry Of Silly Walks though. Think they will take me? :D

Odd there isn't a specific thread but hey ho.

Some relevant discussion:

Gin and Tonic: Python biopic
forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13527
Link is obsolete, and the thread has been merged into this one.

Terry Gilliam
forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23790
Link is obsolete. The current link is:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/terry-gilliam.23790/

Herds of Majestic John Cleeses...
forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13410
Link is obsolete. The current link is:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/herds-of-majestic-john-cleeses.13410/

---------------
And some upcoming DVD releases:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Deluxe Edition) in February

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Monty Python and the Holy Grail ("Extraordinarily" Deluxe Edition) for 21st February 2006 priced at $29.95 SRP. Released to capitalize on the huge popularity of the Tony Award-winning Broadway hit musical “Spamalot” this three-disc set includes all the features from the Special Edition release plus the original motion picture soundtrack and an all-new featurette filmed on the opening night of “Spamalot”.

www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=59523

and this counts too:

Erik the Viking (Director's Cut) in February

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Erik the Viking (Director's Cut) for 21st February 2006 priced at $19.94 SRP. Erik the Viking gathers warriors from his village and sets out on a dangerous journey to Valhalla, to ask the gods to end the Age of Ragnorok and allow his people to see sunlight again. A Pythonesque satire of Viking life.

Previously unavailable on DVD the Director's Cut version will also boast an audio commentary with director Terry Jones.

www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=59522

Pre-ordering:
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000CQQ ... enantmc-20

Last edited by a moderator:
What the BBC really thought of Monty Python
Chris Hastings, Arts and Media Editor, Sunday Telegraph
Last Updated: 1:14am GMT 10/12/2006

It was at the peak of its popularity, pulling in 10 million viewers each show. But new documents reveal that BBC bosses were shocked by the content of Monty Python's Flying Circus, describing it as "sadistic" and "disgusting".

The documents disclose that the corporation's senior management believed that the six stars had developed a "death wish" and no longer knew what was acceptable in terms of taste and decency.

The papers also reveal that John Cleese, the highest-paid member of the team, considered quitting after just one series and that Terry Gilliam, the show's American-born animator, was almost dropped in a dispute over pay.

They also show that several episodes in the first series had to be edited at the behest of the Postmaster General after Sir David Frost's home address and telephone number had been included in a sketch.

Minutes of a programme review board held on December 23, 1970 show that BBC bosses were particularly appalled by the last programme in the second series, which had been aired the night before. A sketch called The Queen Will Be Watching, which lampooned the National Anthem, and another called The Undertaker's Sketch, starring Cleese as a man unsure of how to dispose of his mother's body, were considered unacceptable.

In the second skit, an undertaker, played by Graham Chapman, tells Cleese's character: "We can bury her, burn her or dump her." It ends with Chapman offering to eat the corpse.

The minutes state: "Aubrey Singer (the head of features group) said that he had found parts of this edition disgusting. Controller BBC1 said the programme was continually going over the edge of what was acceptable: this edition had contained two really awful sketches – the death sequence had been in appalling bad taste, while the treatment of the National Anthem had simply not been amusing.

"The Managing Director Television said it must be recognised that in the past the programme had contained dazzle and produced some very good things but this edition had been quite certainly over the edge and the producer Ian McNaughton had failed to refer the show to the BBC when he should have done.

"Stephen Hearst (the head of arts features) was critical of the fact that the values of the programme were so nihilistic and cruel… Bob Reid (the head of science features) felt the team seemed to wallow in the sadism of their humour. Controller BBC2 thought they also shied away from their responsibility. D.P. (the director of programmes) Television said the episode had been a sad end for the series. Bill Cotton (the head of light entertainment group) said it would be sad if the BBC lost the programme; the team seemed to have some sort of death wish."

Michael Palin makes no reference to the controversy in his diaries, published this year. In fact, he regards some of the second series as the team's best work. Yesterday he said the BBC's concerns were news to him. "I was unaware of the comments. The BBC tended to leave us alone at the beginning and we had freedom to do what we want. It was only when the show became very popular that they began to keep a closer eye on what we were doing."

A diary entry Palin wrote in 1972, as the third series was being made, notes that the BBC was trying to censor the team for the first time.

The BBC's shock at series two was ironic, given that the corporation's bosses had struggled to get it off the ground in the face of Cleese's reluctance to continue. A letter to Cleese from Michael Mills, the head of comedy, dated November 27, 1969, states: "Barry Took told me before he left that you had reservations about doing another 13 shows quite as soon as this. I do hope that you will be able to take part – both as a writer and performer – because the show will lose a great deal if you are not one of the team."

A letter to Jack Beale, in contracts management, shows that Mr Mills was prepared to go ahead with the series even if Cleese quit.

The documents also show that Gilliam faced an uphill battle to persuade bosses that he was worth more than he was being paid. A memo on Gilliam's fees from Duncan Wood, then the acting head of light entertainment, states: "It is quite possible that we shall reach an impasse on this issue and he may not in fact take part in either the next seven programmes or the further six."

Cleese quit Monty Python after the third series and the show ended after a fourth series was broadcast in 1974.
http://tinyurl.com/yydnzx

I don't actually like Monty Python. There - I've said it! It's just one of those things that one is somehow obliged to find funny. Because it's wacky, and well loved.

H_James said:
I don't actually like Monty Python. There - I've said it! It's just one of those things that one is somehow obliged to find funny. Because it's wacky, and well loved.
I was brought up in the 60's, on all the stuff that went before, which prepared the way and helped make Monty Python the huge success that it became: The Telly Goons (I missed the original radio Goon Shows); Beyond the Fringe; That Was The Week That Was; the programme with John Bird, John Fortune and unbelievably sexy Eleanor Bron (that I can't remember the name of); Michael Bentine's It's a Square World; Not Only But Also; I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again; Marty Feldman's shows; Spike Milligan's stuff (I may have watched the first Q series, I'm not sure) and Do Not Adjust Your Set. I'm sure that's not all of them.

By the time Monty Python's Flying Circus actually came on BBC2, in 1969, the pump was already well and truly primed. Trouble is it's sunk so far into the foundations of what came after that anybody born after that date must get a strange sense of deja vu when they actually see the original rather than any of the many shows it influenced.

Monty Python team to get special Bafta award
The Monty Python stars are to be honoured with a special award from the British Academy of Film and Television (Bafta) to mark their contribution to comedy for over 40 years.
Published: 4:15PM BST 18 Aug 2009

John Cleese, Michael Palin, Terry Jones, Eric Idle and Terry Gilliam will receive the prize at a special screening of a new documentary about the Pythons in New York on October 15.

It will be the first time all five remaining members of the team will have been reunited since Spamalot, the hit musical based on Monty Python And The Holy Grail, opened on Broadway in 2005.

Cleese said he was pleased to be honoured with his fellow Pythons: ''I believe these trinkets are more important than people think."

The new film, Monty Python: Almost The Truth (The Lawyer's Cut) will feature interviews with all of the surviving Pythons, along with archive footage of Graham Chapman, who died in 1989.

It will also include interviews with guests including Steve Coogan, Bruce Dickinson, Jeff Bridges, Eddie Izzard, Stephen Merchant, Dan Aykroyd, Tim Roth and Hugh Hefner.

The Pythons will collect the Bafta after a screening of the film at New York's Ziegfeld Theatre on October 15, 40 years after the first edition of Monty Python's Flying Circus was broadcast by the BBC.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... award.html

A look back at "Life of Brian" (too long to paste in full):

What did 'Life of Brian' ever do for us?
Monty Python's 1979 film, ‘Life of Brian’, is rightly considered a comedy classic. But, thirty years on, it wouldn’t be made today, argues Sanjeev Bhaskar.

...The film premiered in America in August 1979 and immediately caused a brouhaha. The Rabbinical Alliance declared the film “foul, disgusting and blasphemous”. The Lutheran Council described it as “profane parody”. Not to be outdone, the Catholic Film Monitoring Office made it a sin even to see the film. Audiences, however, loved it, making Brian the most successful British movie in North America that year.

...Mary Whitehouse failed to prove that the film was blasphemous, particularly since Christ and Brian are distinctly shown as different people. Nevertheless, a number of local councils banned it – including some that didn’t even have a cinema. The result was coach parties being organised in places such as Cornwall (where it was banned) to cinemas in Exeter (where it wasn’t). The Swedish marketed the film as “so funny it was banned in Norway”. :D

...the closing song has come to represent a sort of British resilience – laughing in the face of adversity. It has been appropriated by football fans, chosen as the final song at funerals, and, movingly, during the Falklands War, the sailors on the damaged HMS Sheffield sang it while awaiting rescue. 8)

* Sanjeev Bhaskar presents He’s Not the Messiah, He’s a Very Naughty Boy on Radio 2 at 10.30pm on Tuesday

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... or-us.html

I bet it could get made today. As a stage musical. If Eric Idle decides he needs even more money.

I think this comes under "etc"!

Graham Taylor appointed manager of Monty Python philosophers' football team
Graham Taylor, the former England football manager, may still be reeling from his 0-1 loss to Germany at Wembley in 1991.
By Murray Wardrop
Published: 7:30AM GMT 24 Feb 2010

But his latest appointment could give him an opportunity to set the record straight as he leads a team of the nation’s sharpest minds into battle in a recreation of the Monty Python Philosophers’ Football Match sketch.

The 65-year-old will have to summon all his mental strength as he pits his Socrates Wanderers team of comedians, including Tony Hawks and Mark Steel, against “German” rivals Nietzsche Albion, whose ranks include British philosophers Dr Stephen Law and Julian Baggini.

The game is being organised by The Philosophy Shop, a group which promotes philosophy among primary schoolchildren, and is scheduled for May 9.

Taylor, whose 10-year stint as Watford manager pushed the team from the Fourth to the First Division, has been drafted in as manager to boost the Greeks’ chances and is reportedly putting them through a gruelling training scheme.

And he will hope that history will repeat itself with the Greeks stealing a 1-0 victory, as Eric Idle secured with a last-minute header playing the part of Socrates in the 1970s comedy sketch.

Taylor, who played for Grimsby Town and Lincoln City in the 1960s, said: “As the sole genuine footballer in the Greek team, I’m definitely a surprise appointment.

“I’m well versed in tactical worries, but need to hone my approach to metaphysical concerns, clearly.”

Taylor will no doubt feel intimidated by the mental agility of his rival in the German dugout – A C Grayling, the celebrated author and university professor, who has dedicated his career to studying the theory of knowledge, metaphysics, and philosophical logic.

Speaking from his study, knee-deep in unwashed kit and copies of the Friedrich Nietzsche novel Also Sprach Zarathustra, Grayling said: “The German squad have experienced team problems but I’m not worried.

“Having already beaten England's famous midfield trio, Bentham, Locke and Hobbes, I feel confident in their forthcoming performance. We Moderns expect to give those Ancients a good kicking – Taylor at the helm or no.”

Come match day, at Wingate & Finchley’s Harry Abrahams Stadium in north London, Taylor will not be able to summon the likes of his 1990s England side.

However, his veteran striker Gary Lineker will be providing support from the sidelines alongside John Humphrys, the BBC presenter, Laurie Taylor, presenter of Radio 4’s Thinking Allowed show, Anthony Seldon, the author.

So far the team sheet includes comedians Steel, Hawks, Arthur Smith and Ariane Sherine, for the Greek and philosophers Baggini, Law, Nigel Warburton, Simon Glendinning, Angie Hobbs and Mark Vernon for the Germans.

Peter Worley, director of The Philosophy Shop, said: “It’s going to be a fantastic sporting and Monty Python-influenced event and we are delighted with the news of the dual appointments.

“With such sporting and philosophical prowess, it’s a true meeting of minds and feet.”

The Monty Python sketch depicted a spoof match between the two sides at the 1972 Munich Olympics. It starred John Cleese as Archimedes, Graham Chapman as Hegel, Michael Palin as Nietzsche, Terry Jones as Marx, Terry Gilliam as Kant, and German footballer Franz Beckenbauer was the only real, and somewhat bemused, player.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... -team.html

(With video of original sketch.)

BBC to dramatise unholy row over Monty Python's Life of Brian
Holy Flying Circus to focus on comedians' struggle with church, councils and critics in runup to release of controversial film
Ben Dowell guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 21 June 2011

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy" is one of the most oft-quoted lines in British comedy history. But the religious controversy that engulfed the Monty Python film in which the quote featured, Life of Brian, on its 1979 release was no laughing matter – and is now to be the subject of a BBC drama.

Holy Flying Circus, written by Tony Roche, a co-writer of the political satire The Thick of It, will air this autumn on BBC4 and aims to use the Life of Brian controversy to explore the subject of free speech.

Monty Python's irreverent take on the story of Jesus Christ revolved around Brian Cohen, a reluctant fictional Messiah in first century Judea who is eventually crucified. Church leaders in the US and the UK protested, claiming it mocked Christ, and the film was banned in several countries including Ireland and Norway as well as by several UK local authorities.

BBC4's 90-minute drama leads up the famous Life of Brian debate featuring John Cleese and Michael Palin on the BBC2 show Friday Night ... Saturday Morning, chaired by lyricist Tim Rice.

The film was heavily criticised by fellow guests, the Roman Catholic journalist and satirist Malcolm Muggeridge and the Bishop of Southwark, Mervyn Stockwood, in a series of barbed exchanges. It was later claimed that Muggeridge and Stockwood had arrived late to a screening of the film and did not know that Brian and Jesus were different characters.

In the BBC4 drama Cleese will be played by Darren Boyd, with Charles Edwards taking the role of Palin. Comedian Steve Punt has been cast as Eric Idle, while Terry Jones will be played by Rufus Jones. Tom Fisher has been cast as the late Graham Chapman, who played Brian, while Phil Nichol takes the part of the only American Python, Terry Gilliam.

Jones told the Guardian: "How Muggeridge and the bishop had the gall to slate the film when they'd missed the first 15 minutes is quite extraordinary. It is a very good story."

BBC4 has broadcast a series of dramas based on the lives of British TV and film stars – including Tony Hancock, Kenneth Williams and Hattie Jacques – although the subjects tend to be deceased.

None of the surviving Pythons are involved with the creation of Holy Flying Circus. However, a BBC spokeswoman stressed that they have all been notified about the project and were given time to register their comments or raise objections, which none of them have done.

"Holy Flying Circus is not a biopic, but a fantastical reimagining of the Pythons' struggle with censorship in the runup to the release of Life of Brian," she added. The drama will incorporate "surreal cutaways" including puppetry and animation, according to the BBC.
The script for the independently made Talkback Thames/Hillbilly Television co-production is "witty and humorous in tone", the BBC added.

Richard Klein, the BBC4 controller, said: "This is a smart and witty take on both the nature of censorship and the world of Monty Python. Tony Roche's script is both bold and entertaining, a wonderfully warm homage to one of the most original of British comedy teams."

Co-producer Kate Norrish added: "Holy Flying Circus takes a moment from our recent past to shed light on the present. When Palin and Cleese were called to defend Life of Brian, they were fighting not just for the future of their film but for their artistic credibility. It was a moment when freedom of speech was pitted against religious belief and is a debate that is just as precariously balanced today."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/ju ... e-of-brian

The amazing Life Of Brian's girlfriend: From her naked film roles and the jailing of her ex-husband to becoming Mayor of Aberystwyth
By Emily Hill
Last updated at 11:31 PM on 27th August 2011

The clock ticks as Aberystwyth town councillor Sue Jones-Davies flicks through a list of concerns from local residents.

There are complaints about the lack of parking spaces, calls to upgrade the local skateboard park and worries that the seaside town’s seagulls are beginning to rival the aggression of Daphne Du Maurier’s Birds on bin day.
Sue’s furrowed brow reveals how seriously she takes her civic duties – and as an ex-mayor of the town, it is only to be expected – but she has not always portrayed such a studious demeanour.
Thirty years ago Sue appeared stark naked in one of the most controversial films in British movie history – Monty Python’s Life Of Brian.

In her big scene, with arms splayed she leaps in front of Graham Chapman – who plays Brian – as his mother, played by Terry Jones, bellows the unforgettable line: ‘Brian, leave that Welsh tart alone!’ :D
Released in 1979, Monty Python’s Life Of Brian is now a comedy classic. And Sue’s star turn as Brian’s feisty girlfriend, Judith Iscariot, was the most significant role the Pythons ever gave to a woman.

This autumn, the BBC is to screen a new 90-minute comedy drama, Holy Flying Circus, which will focus attention, once again, on the furore created by Life Of Brian.
‘The film is phenomenal,’ says Sue, in a rare interview. ‘But when we were making it I don’t think many people thought it was going to do very well. It was very left-field.
‘When the money man, Bernard Delfont, finally read the script he pulled all the money out, just days before we started filming. The Pythons were very worried about getting distribution.’

They were right to fret. Their tale of Brian Cohen, who is mistaken for the Messiah and ends the film being crucified as Eric Idle sings Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life, caused a riot of religious controversy. Banned in Ireland, Norway and in large parts of Sue’s native Wales, it enraged churchgoers from Mary Whitehouse to the Bishop of Southwark.

And of course audiences flocked to see it where they could. Billed as ‘the film so funny they banned it in Norway’, it made more than £15 million at the box office – a fortune in those days. Today it is still widely considered one of the funniest movies ever made.
‘I had no idea the film was going to create such a fuss,’ says Sue. ‘Or that 30 years on, all these blokes would still be quoting the dialogue at me – particularly “Brian, leave that Welsh tart alone” and “He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy.”
‘You want to say, “Oh get a life.” ’

She adds: ‘I’ve never been a Python fan. I never even had a television. But the film is still so popular.
‘People often tell me that if I’d had a penny for every time the video went out, I’d be rich. But back then I was paid £300 a week, which seemed like masses of money.’
As a 62-year-old local councillor, yoga teacher and grandmother who likes nothing better than to hike up a mountain and recite poetry, Sue’s life is now wholly different from the one she led in the late Seventies.

Back then she was married to fellow actor Chris Langham and would regularly perform alongside comedy legends, including French & Saunders and Victoria Wood.
Sue’s past often intrudes now, sometimes very painfully. Four years ago, Langham was sent to prison for downloading child pornography.

Sue had split from him acrimoniously in the mid-Eighties, due to his spiralling drink and drug problems.
She moved back to Wales to raise their three sons, Siencyn, now 33, Dafydd, 28, and Glyn, 25. When, after two decades of separation, the child pornography scandal broke, Sue and her boys were in for a nasty shock.
‘It was hysterical,’ she recalls. ‘The Press were camped outside, offering me money to tell “my side” of the story. I used to have to climb in and out of the back window.

etc...

In 2009, Sue played her own role in reviving interest in Life Of Brian – when as mayor of Aberystwyth she overturned a 30-year ban on the film in the small Welsh town.
‘Soon after I was elected, somebody at the BBC called me up and asked me if I knew that The Life Of Brian had been banned in Aber.’

A story about the ban was then put up on the BBC website and Sue’s phone began to ring off the hook. ‘It was very hard to say I couldn’t give a monkey’s if it was banned or not. Suddenly my stint as mayor was obviously to un-ban this film.’
When the town clerk had a heart attack, Sue had a brainwave. She would screen the film at the local arts centre to raise money for the British Heart Foundation.
‘I rang Terry Jones and asked if he wanted to come, and he asked if he could bring Michael Palin. They didn’t want a fee, they didn’t take expenses. They were just delightful, witty, and everyone adored them. Photographers came from all over the world.’

She may not give a monkey’s but after 32 years, Sue Jones-Davies remains the valiant ‘Welsh tart’ who took a naked leap into Brian’s heart and British comedy history – however hard she tries to bury herself under the humdrum concerns of the residents of Aberystwyth.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... twyth.html

Pietro_Mercurios said:
What a filthy prurient arse wipe scandal rag the Daily Mail has become.
I thought it was a good human interest story.

The only scandal attached to the ex-husband of the woman interviewed; it was widely reported in all the press at the time, and even generated a 12-page thread on the FTMB. Many well-known posters contributed (including P_M) - does that make us a 'filthy prurient arse wipe scandal' message board?

I was referring to the amount of prurient wordage in the article devoted to a brief glimpse of nudity in a film made so long ago that people have been born raised and had children of their own in the intervening period.

The only thing missing to make it an archetypal contemporary Daily Mail article is a reference to the woman's cellulite.

Back