• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Monty Python

Lets settle on calling it the Derry Air!

giphy.gif

maximus otter

I have a “London Derrière”

Correct.

Re my post #159, in the Invent a New Word! thread:

Derriere: Homophonous euphemism – used to indicate evidence of broken wind in Northern Ireland’s second largest city. eg Feck me, Orla - someone's left a fierce derriere in this lift.

Londonderry Air: Slang for a cockney’s backside.

I'm in the process of petitioning the OED for inclusion.

I'm sure I recall the old "London derrière" gag first appearing in an early Monty Python sketch, accompanied by a b&w photo of a young lady's rump.
Got a feeling it also made it into Douglas Adams' 1982 Meaning of Liff book about comical invented toponyms and etymology.

liff.png

I'm sure I recall the old "London derrière" gag first appearing in an early Monty Python sketch, accompanied by a b&w photo of a young lady's rump.
Got a feeling it also made it into Douglas Adams' 1982 Meaning of Liff book about comical invented toponyms and etymology...

Yeah. It's kind of obvious. I wouldn't claim sole rights to that one.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/scotland-now/abandoned-scottish-mine-starred-monty-28919780

The abandoned Scottish mine that starred as a Monty Python filming location​

Tomnadashan Mine was used as the filming location for one of the most iconic Monty Python scenes, but before that, it was a functional mine constructed to gather copper, gold, and sulphur.
Nestled away in Perth and Kinross is an abandoned mine that may look unimpressive to most, but will be instantly recognisable to any Monty Python fan.

Tomnadashan Mine was constructed in the 19th century by John Campbell, 2nd Marquess of Breadalbane, in an attempt to mine copper, gold, and sulphur. This venture proved unsuccessful and the mine was deserted after his death.

It wasn't until over 100 years later that the mine would gain a second life as the backdrop for one of the most iconic scenes in comedy history. Those who have seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail will no doubt be familiar with the Rabbit of Caerbannog.
The current TripAdvisor page for the location:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...ine-Aberfeldy_Perth_and_Kinross_Scotland.html

Back