• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Monty Python

Pietro_Mercurios said:
I was referring to the amount of prurient wordage in the article...
Here is ALL the 'prurient wordage' from a very long article:
From her naked film roles..
Sue appeared stark naked in one of the most controversial films in British movie history – Monty Python’s Life Of Brian
In her big scene, with arms splayed she leaps in front of Graham Chapman – who plays Brian
Sue Jones-Davies remains the valiant ‘Welsh tart’ who took a naked leap into Brian’s heart and British comedy history
Awful, isn't it? ;)

More like:
The amazing Life Of Brian's girlfriend: From her naked film roles and the jailing of her ex-husband to becoming Mayor of Aberystwyth

Sue’s furrowed brow reveals how seriously she takes her civic duties – and as an ex-mayor of the town, it is only to be expected – but she has not always portrayed such a studious demeanour.
Thirty years ago Sue appeared stark naked in one of the most controversial films in British movie history – Monty Python’s Life Of Brian.

In her big scene, with arms splayed she leaps in front of Graham Chapman – who plays Brian – as his mother, played by Terry Jones, bellows the unforgettable line: ‘Brian, leave that Welsh tart alone!’

Judith_01.jpg

Controversial: Sue Jones-Davies appeared stark naked in Monty Python's Bible spoof

Sue says: ‘They wanted an actress who looked a bit Middle Eastern. The other girl had dropped out because she thought Monty Python were just using women and she didn’t like the nudity.

‘My feminine side at the time probably would have wondered what I was doing with them. But I read the script and just laughed.

‘The audition was completely nuts. They weren’t really paying any attention. Terry Jones, who was directing the film, was trying to do it properly and the rest of them were just mucking about, saying, “Oh give it to her, she’ll do.” I left not knowing whether I had got it.’

Sue, who had wild, jet-black hair, a beautiful figure and striking face, had just the sort of exotic good looks they wanted – together with a strong Welsh accent they appeared to find inherently comedic.

‘The most terrifying experience wasn’t the nude scene – but going carpet-hunting with Terry Gilliam. ...'

She may not give a monkey’s but after 32 years, Sue Jones-Davies remains the valiant ‘Welsh tart’ who took a naked leap into Brian’s heart and British comedy history – however hard she tries to bury herself under the humdrum concerns of the residents of Aberystwyth.
So much for the naughty naked Mayor of Aberystwyth.

The Holy Flying Circus show is coming up this Wednesday...

Holy Flying Circus
Watch : Next on:
Wednesday, 21:00 on BBC Four
Synopsis
In 1979, Monty Python made Life of Brian and the debate about what is an acceptable subject for comedy was blown wide open. This is a fantastical re-imagining of the build-up to the release of the film and the controversy it caused.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0162zbx

Followed by...

Friday Night, Saturday Morning
Watch : Next on:
Wednesday, 22:30 on BBC Four
Synopsis
Talk show, hosted by Tim Rice and featuring a discussion about Monty Python's Life of Brian, which had been banned by local councils and caused protests. Guests are John Cleese, Michael Palin, Malcolm Muggeridge, the bishop of Southwark Arthur Stockwood, Norris McWhirter and Paul Jones & the Blues Band.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b016bgt2

A review...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8826959/Holy-Flying-Circus-BBC-Four-preview.html

It raises points about freedom of speech, religious intolerance and the boundaries of comedy.

It’s also cheeky, fantastical and occasionally very funny.
However...

Pythons annoyed by 'inaccurate' portrayal of debate in BBC drama

and...

Controversy over Holy Flying Circus

Now billed as a "fantastical re-imagining" by the BBC and producers Hillbilly Films and TalkbackThames, the 90-minute programme from The Thick Of It writer Tony Roche was originally made out to be closer to a documentary dramatisation than a story merely based on real events.

Reminds me of the wonderful Not The Nine O'Clock Show sketch featuring a heated debate about a film which mocks Our Lord, John Cleese! :D

Anyone watch BBC Four's Python night, then? Holy Flying Circus was sort of OK, about a billion Python references but too intent on shocking to be all that funny. What did make me laugh was the bit that had nothing to do with the Brian controversy when we saw the head of BBC Four and his attitude to complaints.

Incidentally, did anyone see even one trailer for that? Seemed they were trying to sneak it out under the moral guardians' noses.

But the Friday Night... Saturday Morning was fascinating, seeing the whole interview and while Muggeridge and the Bishop made good points, they were so obnoxious it was difficult to sympathise, whereas Cleese was very lucid and fair (Palin was very pissed off, it was plain to see). The Bishop's wisecrack about the Pythons getting their thirty pieces of silver was more offensive than anything in Life of Brian, I thought.

Plus Norris McWhirter as the other guest!

Terry Jones says Monty Pythons will reunite for film

The surviving members of Monty Python's Flying Circus are set to reunite for another film, Terry Jones has confirmed.
The star told trade newspaper Variety that he would direct the science fiction picture, Absolutely Anything.
"It's not a Monty Python picture, but it certainly has that sensibility," he said.
Jones revealed John Cleese, Terry Gilliam and Michael Palin were on board and he still hoped to sign Eric Idle.

The last time the five remaining members of the iconic comedy group appeared together was in 1998 at the Aspen Comedy Festival.

In the new CGI movie, the Pythons will provide voices for a group of aliens who grant a human being immense power, which eventually leads to all sorts of disruption.
A talking dog named Dennis will be voiced by Mrs Doubtfire actor Robin Williams.

Jones co-directed the 1974 film Monty and the Holy Grail with Terry Gilliam and was the sole director for Life Of Brian (1979) and The Meaning of Life (1983).

In June, it was announced that Cleese, Gilliam, Palin and Jones would voice a 3D animated film based on the memoirs of the late Graham Chapman, the sixth Python, who died in 1989.
However, Idle was not involved in the film, which is expected to be released later this year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16744299

There's a six part documentary about them on the Arts channel at the moment, I like Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam, and don't mind Eric Idle but my God does John Cleese turn my stomach.

Monty Python stars honour 'naughty boy' Graham Chapman

Monty Python stars descended on a pub in north London to raise a glass to the life of a "very naughty boy".
Michael Palin and Terry Jones were celebrating fellow Python star Graham Chapman's life at the unveiling of a plaque to the comedian.
The memorial to the comic, who died from cancer in 1989, was held at his "manor" - the Angel Pub in Highgate.

The plaque references Mr Chapman's role in the Life of Brian and says that he "drank here often and copiously".
It was organised by the comic's family and friends after budget cuts forced English Heritage to abandon its official plaque.
Comedians and former colleagues Barry Cryer and Carol Cleveland were also there to celebrate Mr Chapman.

Mr Palin said: "This was Graham's manor and Graham was a lovely guy.
"I spent many happy times with him, most of which I forget. This was where he was and we used to come up here to see him.
"Highgate was his patch and he should be celebrated because he was a very good, brilliant, funny, nice, wise, kind man, who occasionally drank too much."

He said he believed Mr Chapman would have been pleased that so many of his friends had turned out to celebrate his life.
"I think he'd be suitably impressed that we all came along. He would have stroked his sideburns a bit as he was known to do. I think he would have approved."

Mr Cryer described Chapman as "one of my best mates".
"We did an awful lot of writing together, but also an awful lot of drinking together.
"I think the pub is the perfect place to put the plaque. Very Graham, very silly."

Mr Chapman's life and times will be the basis of the forthcoming film A Liar's Autobiography - The Untrue Story Of Monty Python's Graham Chapman.
Based on his book, it stars the man himself through audio recordings.
The animated film brings the comic together with fellow Pythons Palin, Jones, John Cleese and Terry Gilliam for the first time in 23 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19512084

gncxx said:
Holy Flying Circus was sort of OK, about a billion Python references but too intent on shocking to be all that funny.
First broadcast in 2011, it's now back on iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ng_Circus/
In 1979, Monty Python made Life of Brian and the debate about what is an acceptable subject for comedy was blown wide open. This is a fantastical re-imagining of the build-up to the release of the film and the controversy it caused.

Duration
90 minutes

Available until
10:29PM Thu, 11 Jul 2013

sherbetbizarre said:
If you don't have a ticket for tonight's final live show, or are not planning to see it beamed into a cinema, then Gold in the UK are showing it "mostly live", what ever that means...

http://gold.uktv.co.uk/shows/monty-python-live-mostly/

I guess mostly live means a delay to get rid of the fucks and cunts used during the show as t is being broadcast at 7.30. Can't imagine the penis song or the female equivalent going down well at that time of day with some.

Gordon

My above comments not withstanding I should not post until I am awake. Mostly Live is the name of teh series fo shows and it refers to the fact that you will see most of the Pythons live on account of Graham Chapman being dead - as the t shirts say - one down five to go!

gORDON

Life of Brian screened in Truro for first time since 1979 ban

Monty Python's film the Life of Brian is to have its first ever screening in a Cornish city after it was banned by the council more than 30 years ago.
The comedy, about a man named Brian who is mistakenly hailed as the Messiah, was banned across the UK in 1979 for its "blasphemous" content.

Truro's Plaza cinema tweeted it would hold a charity screening of the film in December.
The city council said it would not enforce any ban.

The movie tells the story of Brian Cohen, a young Jewish man born at the same time and near Jesus Christ, who is frequently mistaken for the Messiah and finally crucified.
But parallels with Jesus caused controversy on both sides of the Atlantic, with claims it satirised Jesus's life.
The Monty Python team has always rejected accusations the film was blasphemous.

Truro City Council said it would not enforce any ban on the city's Plaza cinema
The film was a huge box-office success, earning the fourth-highest takings in the UK in 1979, and the highest for any British film in the US that year.
BBC film critic Mark Kermode, who is to host the screening, said the film "considered by many to be the funniest British film ever made", had never had its ban in Truro rescinded.

Truro City Council clerk Roger Gazzard said he was uncertain if any ban was still in force, but he did not the think the council would impose it for the planned screening.
He said: "It's up to people if they want to watch it or not."

The Life of Brian currently has a 15 certificate from the British Board of Film Classification.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-29423932

Cornwall finally gets into the 20th century! 8)

rynner2 said:
Life of Brian screened in Truro for first time since 1979 ban

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-29423932

Cornwall finally gets into the 20th century! 8)
Life of Brian Screening
7:04am 6th December 2014

He is not the messiah, but a very naughty boy comes to Truro.
The Plaza cinema is screening The Life of Brian for the very first time.

The city council said it has "blasphemous" content and banned it more than 30 years ago.
The ban was never lifted.

Film critic Mark Kermode and cinema bosses asked permission and the new council was more than happy to screen it.
All proceeds from ticket sales will go to Macmillan cancer.

Stuart Jenkins runs the cinema, he said: "It was a bit of an off the cuff remark to Mark Kermode orginally, I said to him 'oh do you know that The Life of Brian has never been shown at the Plaza', he sunk his teeth into it, and we decided we would chat with the council and see if it was worth us pursuing.

"They were on board right from the word go, with Carrick District Council being no more, they were the original body who banned it, then with the council change and with the change in the film licensing act, they were happy for the BBFC to certificate it as a 15 and that is where we are now."

http://www.piratefm.co.uk/news/latest-n ... screening/

At last, the Absolutely Anything trailer:

Not only the final Python movie, but Robin Williams' last movie too. Just wish it looked a bit better, that's all.

Oh, I don't know. It made me laugh.

I, for one, welcome our new cinematic overlords!

The film seems to be based on an old and revered SF story, crossed with HHGG and Python surrealism - what's not to like?

:p

Ha ha! Another citadel of resistance finally falls:
Monty Python's Life of Brian goes public in Bournemouth after 35 years
By Hannah Bewley BBC News Online

Monty Python's Life of Brian has received its "first-ever" public screening in Bournemouth, 35 years after a battle with censors saw it banned from the seaside town.
The legendary comedy was blocked by councillors in 1980, who slapped it with an X rating.
But the 19-seat Bournemouth Colosseum has shown the film after the authority recently relaxed its stance.

Cinema boss Paul Whitehouse described the historic showing as "a bit of fun".
Mr Whitehouse, who runs the cinema underneath a cafe, laid on a three-course meal as part of the special event.
It is thought to be the first time the Life of Brian has been shown in public in the town since the row over its certificate.

"The council has relaxed its attitude now but in the early 1980s there was a very different view and they felt empowered to judge what the residents should watch," Mr Whitehouse said.
"I remember at the time when it came out people just went to Southampton to see it.
"It doesn't get better than a film when phrases from it become part of British language."

Dave Harvey, who was at the screening, said: "It is one of my favourite films.
"Monty Python films are iconic comedy from the 60s and 70s and I am looking forward to watching it at the first screening in Bournemouth.
"I didn't realise tonight that I was going to be making local history."

Life of Brian - the story of a man born in a stable next door to Jesus Christ and subsequently mistaken for the Messiah - sparked accusations of blasphemy when it was released.

Bournemouth council's environmental services committee saw the film and decided to raise the certificate from an AA to an X, meaning only those over 18 could see it.
The distributors had said it could only be shown in areas where it had an AA rating.
It was only after Mr Cox asked the council to reconsider their stance that it could be shown.

Colin Robinson gave the film 9.5 out of 10 and said: "I couldn't understand why they banned such an amusing film.
"It is like reliving my student days.
"It is the freedom that the Monty Python squad gave to life, without any care at all." :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-34714865

Caught up with Absolutely Anything and I'm pleased to say it wasn't as bad as I'd feared. Took a while to warm up, but once it got going it was pretty funny, no classic, but deserved a better reception. Quite sweet by the end, too. Terry Jones said he was inspired by H.G. Wells' The Man Who Could Work Miracles (also a film).

Terry Gilliam says he is resurrecting his troubled Don Quixote film because it is "a dream nightmare" he wants to be rid of.

"I want to get this film out of my life," he told reporters at the Cannes Film Festival.

Filming on The Man Who Killed Don Quixote will resume in October, with Michael Palin as Quixote and Star Wars's Adam Driver as Sancho Panza.

Palin, he went on, would be "perfect" for a character he described as "old, ridiculous, arrogant and foolish".

Yet he insisted the 73-year-old's casting as Miguel de Cervantes' ageing dreamer would not lead to a reprise of the Pythons' famous Spanish Inquisition sketch.

Nor would Gilliam tolerate casting other members of the Monty Python team, claiming they were "too old and miserable" and "impossible" to work with.

Not only that, said Gilliam, but he was "actually reading the book" - the first actor to be involved in the production, he claimed, who had ever bothered to do so.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36323322

Hmm
Terry Gilliam says he is resurrecting his troubled Don Quixote film because it is "a dream nightmare" he wants to be rid of.

"I want to get this film out of my life," he told reporters at the Cannes Film Festival.

Filming on The Man Who Killed Don Quixote will resume in October, with Michael Palin as Quixote and Star Wars's Adam Driver as Sancho Panza.

Palin, he went on, would be "perfect" for a character he described as "old, ridiculous, arrogant and foolish".

Yet he insisted the 73-year-old's casting as Miguel de Cervantes' ageing dreamer would not lead to a reprise of the Pythons' famous Spanish Inquisition sketch.

Nor would Gilliam tolerate casting other members of the Monty Python team, claiming they were "too old and miserable" and "impossible" to work with.

Not only that, said Gilliam, but he was "actually reading the book" - the first actor to be involved in the production, he claimed, who had ever bothered to do so.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36323322
Hmm, I wish him luck. So far the project has defeated him, as it did Orson Welles for decades.

It was sad enough to hear that Terry Jones has dementia (let alone that the one he has is so utterly terrifying: Primary Progressive Aphasia. My love of words means that that particular form of dementia is my ultimate nightmare) but when I saw him on stage receiving his BAFTA Cyrmu award and heard him speak my heart just broke, and his lovely son, so proud. I've never wanted to hug a stranger more.

Saw that last year, and found it massively underwhelming. It's strange, because I like everyone involved, and it's a good concept on paper, it just didn't seem to come together for me. And the excellent Warrick Davis is once again utilised as nothing more than a comedy dwarf, which is a shame.

Bugger. I thought the ensemble was a bit of a mishmash, but sometimes these things can gel.
Oh well. I'll seek it out for a viewing with low expectations, and it just might surprise in a few places.

the excellent Warrick Davis is once again utilised as nothing more than a comedy dwarf, which is a shame.

The role of the small guy in Game of Thrones has raised the bar too much! Warwick Davis should be a national treasure. He was in Doctor Who years ago as a talking alien worm-king or summat. (Filmed at those petrified waterfalls in Turkey.)
Should have taken the title role.

Back