• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Moon Landing: Hoaxed?

Another pointless pursuit...

Much speculation has been made over the possibility of helium-3 as a future energy source. Unlike most other nuclear fusion reactions, the fusion of helium-3 atoms releases large amounts of energy without causing the surrounding material to become radioactive. However, the temperatures required to achieve helium-3 fusion reactions are much higher than in traditional fusion reactions.

The abundance of helium-3 is thought to be greater on the Moon than on Earth, having been embedded in the upper layer of regolith by the solar wind over billions of years, though still lower in abundance than in the solar system's gas giants

(Wiki)

..Because vents...

The place is and always will be uninhabitable. Vents or no vents.

Waste of money.

INT21
Well it's highly unlikely that anywhere other than our planet earth will be a natural shirt sleeve environment for humans however many planets and moons have resources in abundance which can be used in an enclosed environment which supports human beings. All you need is enough power and some machinery and you can have a stab at a self sustaining colony.

There are a few things about the Moon landings that I don't understand (but then again there is lots that I don't understand about a great deal of things). I don't subscribe to the Moon landings being hoaxed but I wouldn't be surprised if certains images had been doctored or recreated.

The old tape of the landing when it was filmed has been brushed up and digitized because it was pretty shabby. If you compare the information from landing to landing however, the quality of the recordings does improve. I gave this conspiracy theory a solid investigation, and it has no legs imo.

Something that has always puzzled me is where did the probes/spikes on the bottom of the lunar modules feet go? The craft is light, descending at a slow pace. Would this have had enough force to drive the metal rods under the modules feet into the rock?

The assumption you are making is that the Moon is all rock. A good deal of it is actually covered in "lunar soil" and that is what the lander descended onto. I hope that helps clear that question up for you.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_soil

The Lunar Surface Sensing Probes collapsed as the LEM settled onto the surface, just as they were designed to do. See post #999.

The old tape of the landing when it was filmed has been brushed up and digitized because it was pretty shabby. If you compare the information from landing to landing however, the quality of the recordings does improve. I gave this conspiracy theory a solid investigation, and it has no legs imo.

The assumption you are making is that the Moon is all rock. A good deal of it is actually covered in "lunar soil" and that is what the lander descended onto. I hope that helps clear that question up for you.

I'm all good on these points as I've had my questions answered previously. As I mentioned, I'm not very up on the lunar missions or the lunar environment so I turn to people with more knowledge than myself. To assume, is to make an ass of u and me and assuming doth butter no parsnips, so thanks for the info AlchoPwn.

#joelycett

Jimv1,

If you are going to quote me (and by all means do so) then put the quote into context.

Finding any form of life will only answer one question.

'Can life in any form exist on any other place than Earth ?'.

That in itself will be interesting.

However..

It would be purely of scientific interest as we could not use Europa for any purpose.

It would rank somewhere along the lines of finding a indication that there was life as we know it on a planet 300 million light years away. Interesting, but no practical use to us.

Unless, of course, you're a fan of faster than light travel.

INT21 :)

I'm certainly no expert on exobiology...but there's no telling what we might discover if we find extraterrestrial biology/organics. Some very valuable discoveries have been made on earth in various locations regarding drugs for people both in situ and synthetic forms after the fact after we learned the chemistry.
We might find an organic chain from some microbial form that could cure all cancer for instance.
Yes it might be a slim chance based on odds but...if we don't at least look we would never know. There's also the possibility of discovering a new energy source...again I know nothing about physics but it's possible,
Of course.....would it be worth the time and expense involved....? Who knows...?

dr wu,

...would it be worth the time and expense involved....?

Of course it would. And always will be.

But we need to find cures for our social ills as well.

INT21.

dr wu,

...would it be worth the time and expense involved....?

Of course it would. And always will be.

But we need to find cures for our social ills as well.

INT21.

Good luck with that. How long has man walked the planet?

The Apollo 11 moon landing footage has been cleaned up, no news of a release date yet but here's the glorious trailer .. it'll be fun to wait for the conspiracy theorists claiming that this new clean up job has removed this, that and the other proof of fakery ..

The Apollo 11 moon landing footage has been cleaned up, no news of a release date yet but here's the glorious trailer .. it'll be fun to wait for the conspiracy theorists claiming that this new clean up job has removed this, that and the other proof of fakery ..

I'm certainly pleased with the picture quality. I remember seeing it all on TV when I was 8, and at the time I thought it was some really fuzzy picture quality. That was back in the days when all TV was fuzzy anyway.

I'm certainly pleased with the picture quality. I remember seeing it all on TV when I was 8, and at the time I thought it was some really fuzzy picture quality. That was back in the days when all TV was fuzzy anyway.
It's been made/cleaned up by the same team who produced this, The Last Steps, to give you a hint as to the high quality we can expect ..

Last edited:
It would be purely of scientific interest as we could not use Europa for any purpose.

Mars is considered to be only marginally habitable and it is much warmer; and closer.

If one is going to do this kind of exploration then at least do it on a planet that we can send people to.

INT21
Europa turns out to be one of the most hospitable locations in the Solar System. This moon holds an ocean of water greater than that found on Earth, and enough carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen to support a large population.
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120524.html?

One thing that is scarce on this world is sunlight; but ample energy could be obtained from fusion power plants, or from the strong magnetic field of Jupiter (The flux tube of Io is one of the most significant sources of energy in the Solar System). Europa is inside the magnetic field itself, and the surface is exposed to the charged particles buried in that field- but by constructing habitats beneath a few metres of ice, the radioactivity would be reduced to nominal levels.

If we did find life there, then the population would probably consist mostly of astrobiologists and support staff- but if no life were found, then the moon could be colonised in earnest, and could support a reasonably large population (comparable to the population of the UK, if not more).

Last edited:
Europa turns out to be one of the most hospitable locations in the Solar System. This moon holds an ocean of water greater than that found on Earth, and enough carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen to support a large population.
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120524.html?

One thing that is scarce on this world is sunlight; but ample energy could be obtained from fusion power plants, or from the strong magnetic field of Jupiter (The flux tube of Io is one of the most significant sources of energy in the Solar System). Europa is inside the magnetic field itself, and the surface is exposed to the charged particles buried in that field- but by constructing habitats beneath a few metres of ice, the radioactivity would be reduced to nominal levels.

If we did find life here, then the population would probably consist mostly of astrobiologists and support staff- but if no life were found, then the moon could be colonised in earnest, and could support a reasonably large population (comparable to the population of the UK, if not more).
The big problem would be running the gauntlet of the radiation from Jupiter. You'd need a heavily shielded spacecraft.

4F9OiC2.gif

https://twitter.com/TheRealBuzz/status/1020724421131194368

You mean today is the 49 year anniversary of the moon hoax directed by Stanley Kubrick...?

;)

I hope the new footage has a commentary track by Kubrick, perhaps a few bloopers as well.

The big problem would be running the gauntlet of the radiation from Jupiter. You'd need a heavily shielded spacecraft.
Well, exactly. Luckily Europa has petagallons of the best shielding material- water. It can also be used as reaction mass.

Well, exactly. Luckily Europa has petagallons of the best shielding material- water. It can also be used as reaction mass.

I know an anecdote about water as a radiation shield, but it's probably more suited to the Scientology thread. Needless to say, they are not clever people.

eboracum,

..but ample energy could be obtained from fusion power plants,..

Maybe when we get that technology working we will have no need to go wandering around the Solar System.

INT21.

Fusion is undesirable in some ways, assuming we can get it to work. For example it uses hydrogen, deuterium and .or helium3 as a fuel, and these resources would be depleted over time.

There are at least two other methods of managing energy in the outer Solar System.
A swarm of aimable mirrors in orbit around Europa could concentrate sunlight onto selected regions of the surface; this might melt part of the surface, but this could be a bonus.
A larger scale version of this concept is the near-solar collimated beam- fire a mega-laser from near the Sun, powered by solar power, at any or all of the major frozen icy bodies of the Solar System, and they could support habitation for the foreseeable future without using the limited resources of the object in question. These two systems could be used in tandem. In a moderately advanced civilisation, power beams and swarms of this kind could be commonplace technology.

Fusion is undesirable in some ways, assuming we can get it to work. For example it uses hydrogen, deuterium and .or helium3 as a fuel, and these resources would be depleted over time.
Isn't hydrogen the most plentiful thing in the Universe?

;)

The Moon landing is fake.
Evidence: the Moon is not real.
However, Nasa, in order to hide the unreality of the Moon, hired Stanley Kubriuck to film a fake landing on the "Moon".
Kubrick, being a stickler for realism, did not fake a Moon landing in a movie studio. He insisted that NASA build him a Moon so he could film a fake Moon landing on location.
Once filming was complete, Kubrick has NASA dismantle the Moon so the sets couldn't be used as evidence of his faking a moon landing.

See, couldn't be simpler.

So if the US moon landing was fake, how come the USSR bought into it? If there were any irregularities the Soviets would have detected them immediately and mocked the USA unmercifully at the UN for months. The alternative being that if it were that easy to fake, the Soviets would have been all over it themselves, yet we have no Soviet moon landing and no Soviet claims that the USA cheated. The Soviets lost a lot of credibility by scrapping their moon program, so they gained nothing, and they never claimed the USA cheated. There is only one sensible answer. The Soviets knew that the USA actually landed people on the moon because they were monitoring the whole exercise closely.

Back