• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Moonraker's Dolly'—Braces Or Not?

Whenever I see this thread title I think of Dolly's Brae, a loyalist song about slaughtering Catholics.

Agree with the above posts. I think a lot of this is just a reflection of the woeful geographical ignorance of a lot of North Americans, in particular. Also the diferences between the appearance of maps on a globe and flat maps.

However, I can't account for the lack of New Zealand on the map in `Dazed and Confused`!Likewise there's a woman on Facebook who grew up in Galveston inTexas who is adamant that Pelican Island, off the coast there is radically different than the one she knew as a child. (I've been trying to post the link for this but, for some reason it just doesn't take. Just Type in Mandela Effect, Galveston. New Pelican Island and that should take you there). Either she's totally barmy, or there's more to this than one might at fisrt suppose.
These?

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/rus...from-online-maps-as-north-korea-fires-missile

And now the pacific Island of Sakhalin - near Japan, but owned by Russia - has disappeared from the Yandex map service (the Russian equivalent of google maps). This has been blamed on a `technical glitch`, but it does coincide with North Korea's testing of missiles in the region.

Make of that what you will.
Wouldn't Russia now be at war with North Korea if the unthinkable happened?

Has anyone mentioned the alternate ending to Big (1988) yet?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094737/alternateversions
Some believe that a home video release of this movie in New Zealand included an alternate ending. The alternate ending allegedly shows young Josh sitting in his classroom at school when he turns around to notice a young female classmate of whom who he recognizes as Susan- who went back to the fairground machine and wished that she was Josh's age. Some claim that this version was also seen on Latin American television. The Book of Lists, Canadian Edition, 2005 includes the following account: "During test screenings, an additional scene was included at the end, in which Josh is back at school, and a new girl named Susan arrives. The implication is that Susan used the same machine to make herself young to grow up with Josh. Due to audience feedback, this scene was cut, and so the movie ends when Josh goes back home."
I have an open mind towards alternate universe theories, but it seems that this alternate ending has never existed in this universe.

One one hand.... there were rumors for years that insisted a final episode existed of the Dungeons and Dragons episode where it was revealed that the teen heroes had died on the ride from the first episode and were actually being tortured in Hell. This has since then been proven false. Here's a link to a little of that: http://www.cbr.com/dungeons-dragons-tv-show-end-with-death/

On the other hand... I have actually seen a film that has been altered from it's home release. I saw the 13th Warrior in theatres (two weeks in a row - I'm a fan!) and my brother and I saw scenes that no longer exist in the current version. Apparently author Michael Crichton wasn't happy with the film after it was released and reedited it again for the home release.

A whole host of people - some with very detailed memories of the "original" version - shocked to notice South America seems to not be where it used to be!

https://www.reddit.com/r/MandelaEffect/comments/3pm6vs/south_america_has_shifted_too_far_right/

I just read some of those comments, opened up Google Maps and had a look. South America seems to be in the right place for me but I was genuinely surprised (almost shocked) to see how small the USA is. I zoomed out to the maximum distance allowed. Is it just me or is the USA wildly out of proportion (in relation to say, the UK)?

https://www.google.com/maps

so there was no inclusion in the book of lists canada ?
That's the weird part - the 'Book of Lists' did mention this 'alternate version, but they were only repeating the myth. There is, and never has been, an alternate version where the woman becomes Small, but lots of people remember it.

They are probably conflating it with another film that came out at about the same time, 14 Going on 30, which had a similar plot and ending. Big was only one of several films with this sort of trope in that decade, but it was the most successful one.

REBRACIFICATION! Molly has braces and all is well with the world! (Sigh!)
Screenshot_2017-09-03-20-49-33.png

Don't get excited:I do need to make clear that this is just the work of some guy who has - openly - digitally manipulated the image to supply the missing braces. It's not an original print, or anything like that.

The same person has done the same thing with some other alleged missing items from supposed Mandela Affected shots too.

REBRACIFICATION! Molly has braces and all is well with the world! (Sigh!)
So someone just made this, right?

Watching it now it strikes me that the shot showing her teeth isn't held long enough to sell the joke/message. It cuts away too quickly which strengthens the argument that it the whole thing was a visual joke on their height difference.

its weaker writing to give her braces anyway, might as well have gone the whole hog and given her gigantism ... surely some 007 nerds can confirm from the book ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bond_and_Moonraker
Probably not! Quoting from the wikipedia page:

The only noticeable differences between the novelization and the screenplay for Moonraker is that there is no mention of Dolly, Jaws' girlfriend, and his characterization stays true to Wood's description as being a mute...

so the character of dolly wasnt even in the movie until she was mandela-ed in recently ...

so the character of dolly wasnt even in the movie until she was mandela-ed in recently ...
No, what is meant by this is that Dolly was in the film, and Fleming's original book. But she was dropped from the novelisation of the film (written by Christopher Wood, the screenwriter).

Unless you're suggesting that this was in itself somehow a subset instance of the Mandela Effect?

Don't get excited:I do need to make clear that this is just the work of some guy who has - openly - digitally manipulated the image to supply the missing braces.
Yes, that's noted. But that doesn't make it feel any less correct / familiar.

its weaker writing to give her braces anyway
You think? Seriously? Well, it seemed to be such an effective comedic trope to witness, that many of us remember it fondly, despite the current fact that it (officially) never happened and we never saw it.

it strikes me that the shot showing her teeth isn't held long enough to sell the joke/message. It cuts away too quickly...
Well, it appears to, in this version of reality and/or in this edit version of the film.

the whole thing was a visual joke on their height difference.
I understand your point, but, you know, that doesn't really work. Because Jaws just was exceedingly tall, and she was exceedingly-average in height for her sex/build. That's perilously-close to the reductionist perspective that the visual joke was, she was a woman, and he was a man. Yes, that one fell flat, too.

I understand your point, but, you know, that doesn't really work. Because Jaws just was exceedingly tall, and she was exceedingly-average in height for her sex/build. That's perilously-close to the reductionist perspective that the visual joke was, she was a woman, and he was a man. Yes, that one fell flat, too.

The way the scene is shot, you can see that she is meant to look very small. The camera looks down on her and up on Jaws - with the camera being your eye level. So, no matter your size, she is smaller than you and he is bigger.

And there's another thing that people today either have forgotten, or never remembered to begin with. And that is that they both looked like freaks - at the time. Jaws I don't need to explain, but Dolly? She looks a bit cute today.

But back then, her glasses, her dress, her hair-do all were of the least fashionable variety. She looked terrible by the standards of the day. By 2017, all of these things have come back in and out of fashion, so it doesn't stand out as much.

It's not the scene that has changed. The audience has.

But back then, her glasses, her dress, her hair-do all were of the least fashionable variety. She looked terrible by the standards of the day. By 2017, all of these things have come back in and out of fashion, so it doesn't stand out as much.
Oh, I don't know. At the time, I thought she looked attractive.

Oh, I don't know. At the time, I thought she looked attractive.

Well, I didn't mean her cleavage...

I was 15 in 1979, and blue jeans and curly hairdos were all the rage. Pig tails and "Heidi" dresses definitely were not. Round glasses were late 1960s, not late 1970s - to me, the way she dressed was way old fashioned and weird.

Back