More Drone Persecution

ghughesarch

Junior Acolyte
Or is it? Something's going on, but what? Man claims home plagued by midnight drone pests
Police are appealing for help finding the person flying drones in Brandon in the middle of the night.
A man has told police how his home was plagued by drones that hit his windows and interfered with his hearing aid in the middle of the night.
The first incident was reported on Saturday, March 2 by the man, whose home is in the Mayday Farm area of Brandon.
He told police the drone flew so close to his home it struck his windows, and also interfered with his hearing device and affected the television signal. At the weekend he said he saw about six drones.
Police said the man usually heard the drones from around 10pm onwards, sometimes until 3.30am the following morning. No other complaints from other members of the public have been made at this stage.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
Or is it? Something's going on, but what? Man claims home plagued by midnight drone pests
Police are appealing for help finding the person flying drones in Brandon in the middle of the night.
A man has told police how his home was plagued by drones that hit his windows and interfered with his hearing aid in the middle of the night.
The first incident was reported on Saturday, March 2 by the man, whose home is in the Mayday Farm area of Brandon.
He told police the drone flew so close to his home it struck his windows, and also interfered with his hearing device and affected the television signal. At the weekend he said he saw about six drones.
Police said the man usually heard the drones from around 10pm onwards, sometimes until 3.30am the following morning. No other complaints from other members of the public have been made at this stage.
Open window. Let drone in. Close window.

Claw hammer.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I'm good fiends with someone who lives in Brandon, I'll be sending this link to him to ask if he's heard anything about this, cheers.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member

Ermintruder

Existential pixelfixer
No other complaints from other members of the public have been made at this stage.
The competence of this complaint must be open to question. Sorry, but this sounds so extreme as to almost self-cancel.

Designs already exist of 4"/100mm diameter pipe-shaped compressed-air launchers, containing string-mesh nets edged by weighted balls (say 3ft/metres square) that will take-down drones from hundreds of yards away.

I would love to see the effect upon a drone of say a tight beamed megawatt of radiofrequency energy from a magnetron.

A mate of mine moved to Brandon a few years back,
Book 'm, Dano. If he has no alibi, and a crick in the neck, then I think we've got our man.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
It would be very helpful to learn the complainant's exact location. The Mayday Farm area lies in the middle of multiple towns, airfields, and the Stanford Training Area, and it's not densely settled.

It may be that the single complainant is located so as to be the only person who's close to the drone activity.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
I'd also like to know if the complainant's claimed observation of six drones at a time occurred at night or in the daytime. The report indicates the incidents occur mainly during nighttime hours, but it doesn't clearly state they've occurred only during nighttime hours.

Nighttime drone use implies infrared or night vision support - perhaps from a camera mounted on the drone. The associated comm link back to the controller would explain both the bumbling behavior (hitting the windows) and the electronic interference.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Good point ... That bothered me, too. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to control a group of 6 drones at night.

Ermintruder

Existential pixelfixer
This story is charcterised by perhaps both its poor reporting and the sheer improbability of scenario.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
I hate drones. About every time I've been on a beautiful, serene mountain top in the last few years I've been bugged by one of these whining, buzzing atrocities.

XBergMann

Fear not, I mean no harm to your planet
Good point ... That bothered me, too. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to control a group of 6 drones at night.
Controlling 6 drones is easy and according to this video so is controlling 1,374.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Controlling 6 drones is easy and according to this video so is controlling 1,374.
It's easy if and only if the drones are under automated control. I doubt the alleged Mayday Farm drone operators had the benefit of such automated support.

SIDE NOTE: I'm surprised no one's yet cracked a joke about "Mayday Farm", especially since this involves an aerial mishap.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
This awakens my old investigatory instincts.

My theory? His hearing aid is malfunctioning or has been poorly adjusted. He’s hearing noises and inferring drones.

References to “seeing” six drones are being interpolated by the hack.

maximus otter

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
This awakens my old investigatory instincts.

My theory? His hearing aid is malfunctioning or has been poorly adjusted. He’s hearing noises and inferring drones.

References to “seeing” six drones are being interpolated by the hack.

maximus otter
Or he has some form of paranoia?

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
A deaf Schizophrenic, paranoid old duffer, I think he should buy a shotgun and kill the banelings

Amoradala

Ephemeral Spectre
Black mould in his bathroom ? Causes hallucinations apparently.
(read that somewhere)

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Righto - that's cracked that one. A schizophrenic with a malfunctioning hearing aid & black mould in his bathroom. Next!

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Has he run out of baco foil?

All I can say is that he must have ticked someone off really bad to have six drones onto him, wonder if someone wants him out of his house for some kind of monetary gainn

Human_84

Somewhat human
Police said the man usually heard the drones from around 10pm onwards, sometimes until 3.30am the following morning.
At only ~15minutes of flight time per battery, the drone operator must have gotten dangerously efficient at charging / switching them out. :rollingw: