• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Drone Mischief (Harassment; Crime; Pranks; Etc.)

Someone was harassing me with a drone last night. :rage: I was walking on the beach, no-one else nearby when this thing came at me from the sea. It flew back and forth over my head a few times then back out to sea. 10 minutes later it was back and flew round me a few more times. Apart from the first time to confirm the annoying buzzing noise was a drone, I didn't look at it again. No sense in giving the scum what they want. We all should be licensed to have airguns to shoot those bastards out of the sky. :fire:

Someone was harassing me with a drone last night. :rage: I was walking on the beach, no-one else nearby when this thing came at me from the sea. It flew back and forth over my head a few times then back out to sea. 10 minutes later it was back and flew round me a few more times. Apart from the first time to confirm the annoying buzzing noise was a drone, I didn't look at it again. No sense in giving the scum what they want. We all should be licensed to have airguns to shoot those bastards out of the sky. :fire:
A bit like the situation in Edinburgh where the residents are granted permission to use council approved machete’s during festival time?

How close did it come? Bring a walking stick next time, if it's in range then whack it.

What is one's legal position if one does this? or swung a coat/blanket at it and brought it down?

Asking for a friend :sdevil:

What is one's legal position if one does this? or swung a coat/blanket at it and brought it down?

Asking for a friend :sdevil:

Claim self-defence. You thought it was out of control and about to hit you. Plus, under UK law you're not allowed to fly a drone within 150'/50m of another person so if it's within smacking distance the owner's breaking the law.

Not sure if you're allowed to keep the drone and hang it on the wall as a hunting trophy, though.

I definitely /would/ be scared and intimidated :(

This poses an interesting legal dilemma. If you shoot a drone down over your own property, I suspect, as by deed you control the airspace over your house to the ultimate limit of space, that you would be within your rights, providing the bullet didn't wind up on someone else's property. I should add that as a property owner I am rather proud of my burgeoning multi-galactic empire, even tho its territory tends to shift quite a lot. To quote Life of Brian, it's "Up and down like the Assyrian Empire".

A good long bullwhip might do the trick. Also good for fending off chuggers and scientologists.
Wow Tribble, I thought you'd be chuffed at the opportunity to do a free survey or donate money to a worthy cause. (jk, they're a plague)

I wonder how the law stands on black widow catapults these days. I've got one of those, I reckon it could bring down a drone in theory.

Depends on intent. Carrying one in public isn't (AFAIK) illegal unless it involves another crime (shooting it at people/property, etc.). There's also the risk of a projectile going astray and taking someone's eye out.

Could always fire ice cubes. If it hits anyone you can blame freak hailstorms.

Jamming a drone's control signal is illegal. Only police/armed forces get to play with those kinds of toys. (Think some drones can be set to return to base on loss of signal)

Not sure on law regarding EMP weapons. Portable anti-drone EMP devices have been developed, e.g.

https://techlinkcenter.org/heres-th...rifle-attachment-for-taking-out-small-drones/

I was surprised to read recently that drones are not a new thing, having been used during WW2 , operated by radio control, although not of the hovering variety.

Depends on intent. Carrying one in public isn't (AFAIK) illegal unless it involves another crime (shooting it at people/property, etc.). There's also the risk of a projectile going astray and taking someone's eye out.

Could always fire ice cubes. If it hits anyone you can blame freak hailstorms.

Jamming a drone's control signal is illegal. Only police/armed forces get to play with those kinds of toys. (Think some drones can be set to return to base on loss of signal)

Not sure on law regarding EMP weapons. Portable anti-drone EMP devices have been developed, e.g.

https://techlinkcenter.org/heres-th...rifle-attachment-for-taking-out-small-drones/
Never thought of firing ice cubes from it before :cool: .....

Couple arrested over the drone attack receive £200,000 compensation for wrongful arrest – I think the facts that contribute to the large payout are contained in the following paragraphs:

"Mr and Mrs Gait were arrested when 12 armed police officers swooped on their home just before Christmas 2018. They were then held for 36 hours before being released without charge.

"This was despite the fact they did not possess any drones and had been at work during the reported sightings."

I'd like to think that before 12 armed police come to my home they might have first ascertained my whereabouts at the time of the offence! But apparently not.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...le-arrested-payout-compensation-a4468526.html

Couple arrested over the drone attack receive £200,000 compensation for wrongful arrest – I think the facts that contribute to the large payout are contained in the following paragraphs:

"Mr and Mrs Gait were arrested when 12 armed police officers swooped on their home just before Christmas 2018. They were then held for 36 hours before being released without charge.

"This was despite the fact they did not possess any drones and had been at work during the reported sightings."

I'd like to think that before 12 armed police come to my home they might have first ascertained my whereabouts at the time of the offence! But apparently not.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...le-arrested-payout-compensation-a4468526.html
What made them pick on this couple, I wonder?

Back