• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

More 'Megaspiders' Sought For Milking (Australia)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Someone donated a notably large funnel-web spider to an Australian antivenom program, and now authorities are pleading for info on how to find more of them.
'Megaspider' is biggest of its kind we've ever seen, Australian reptile park says

A massive funnel-web spider with fangs capable of piercing human fingernails has been donated to an antivenom program in Australia, sparking an appeal for its anonymous donor to come forward.

Nicknamed "Megaspider," the arachnid measures 8 centimeters (about 3 inches) foot to foot, with fangs 2 centimeters (about 0.8 inches) long, the Australian Reptile Park said in a statement Friday. With a body measuring 5 centimeters (1.9 inches), it's the largest funnel-web spider the park has ever seen, it added.

"She is unusually large and if we can get the public to hand in more spiders like her, it will only result in more lives being saved due to the huge amount of venom they can produce," said Michael Tate, the park's education officer. "We are really keen to find out where she came from in hopes to find more MASSIVE spiders like her." ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/16/australia/megaspider-australia-venom-intl-hnk/index.html

“We are really keen to find out where she came from…”

giphy.gif

maximus otter

Eeeeeeekkkk! ,that's a big gnarly specimen in the vid.

Why did I watch the vid. Horrible things . Glad I'm not in Oz.

Back