More Tales From My Guests

gattino

Justified & Ancient
As frequently referenced i pay my bills and stave off the bailiffs by being a full time Airbnb host, and so over the last almost 2 years many many strangers have passed through my doors, and most make conversation.

In the past ive noted here what i termed a collective conspiracy of silence wherein if you touch on the subject of the spooky stuff with almost anyone they will regale you with tales of their own...suggesting the whole world is walking constantly through the twilight zone, yet each individual presumes they're doing so alone. I've recounted a few of my guests accounts here and there on these boards. I've another chap here at the moment with whom the conversation turned to the Fortean and he had a tale or two to impart. He started it. But first a neat little background detail.

I noted last week that on my late mother's birthday a guest with the same first name came to stay. So its doubly unusual that she is followed this week by a young man with my deceased brother's name. An additional flourish..when i later told him my long sagas of post mortem coincidences and came to the part where the homeless man gave my birthday, January 11th, as his own, my guest interjected "That's my birthday!"

Anyhow, a number of tales but ill get to the meatiest as best i remember him telling me an hour or so ago. When he was about 4 years old his parents moved to a house in Bolton. His account are the memories of his mother rather than his own, but strange things happened. Noises in the night and in particular a roof or loft hatch repeatedly opened by itself, with no wind present. The father attached two hooks to keep it in place. And yet, still, they wake to find the hooks have been unlatched and the hatch opened and turned. The mother replaces the hooks into their place and puts tape over them...noises in the night...next morning the tape is lying on the floor and the hatch is again open.

Finally dad has enough and gets the screwdriver and screws the hatch door firmly in place so it can not be opened at all. Things go quiet for a week or two..until the mother walking on the landing i assume stands painfully on a screw. Looking up she finds one of the screws dad had embedded deeply into the wood work has been unthreaded with exact precision, leaving no damage or disturbance as might be expected in most circumstances.

I can't recall is he mentioned a timeline in relation to the above but the second part of the tale was that his mum heard his 4 year old self talking to someone. When she entered the room he was gabbing away in full conversation with thin air. Who are you talking to, mum asked. "The little boy" he replied. "Which little boy?" "He's called Tom".

And here's the bit i omitted for the best ending. It was only a day earlier that the mum had found out the full story of the tragedy that had occurred there before they moved in. The previous owner's 10 year old son had fallen out of a window (or was it the hatch? ill have to check) to his death. His name was Tom.

Interstingly, charmingly, my guest emphasised "its my mum's story not mine" as he has no memory of it, but reports the look of sincerity and genuine fear in her face when she recounts it even now.

gattino

Justified & Ancient
Ok this is getting silly. Having told people last night about the guests with my mother's and then brother's names, and joking that if the next one is called Tiddles then I'm calling an exorcist.,..this morning I woke to find a new booking had been made in the early hours. By a man called...well...he has MY name.

(I ought to emphasise while none of the three names are outlandish they're relatively unpopular enough that I've never had anyone else staying with any of them. In fact I don't think I've ever addressed another person using my own name before. )

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Ok this is getting silly. Having told people last night about the guests with my mother's and then brother's names, and joking that if the next one is called Tiddles then I'm calling an exorcist.,..this morning I woke to find a new booking had been made in the early hours. By a man called...well...he has MY name.

(I ought to emphasise while none of the three names are outlandish they're relatively unpopular enough that I've never had anyone else staying with any of them. In fact I don't think I've ever addressed another person using my own name before. )
Better watch out. Might be your doppelgänger.

gattino

Justified & Ancient
I'll fill in some of the other things he told me.

It started with him talking about his fascination with dreams.

Then he told me , his father having died a couple of months ago, that he himself had been to/received reiki and during it...well...he struggled to describe it, but it appeared to me he appeared to be talking about the effects witnessed in so called IADC...that's to say he had a mental vision of his father and his grief and pain vanished completely from that point. The reiki practicioner seemed to have a knowledge of what had just happened with some curious comments she made.

Then he told me the story about the house and the ghost child.

When telling him what a previous guest had told me about his dying wife's room filling with light, he had an emotional response as it reminded him of a furhter incident. That two days after his father's death he was standing in the garden having a smoke when an extraordinary bright blue shooting star of some kind crossed the sky..again he struggled to convey how of the ordinary and visually strking it was. The significance of it to him being that his father had repeated the same phrase to him often (perhaps he said when he was dying?) to "Fly High". He hadn't quite known what he meant by it, and then when he saw this after the death it was filled with significance.

Naturally in between this i was telling him all my various tales. And of course we noted the whole odd coincidence of the names.

Next day...yesterday...he came in from work and said "something weird happened today". He's a surveyor or some such for a housing trust so basically goes into countless strangers (in every sense!) houses. First one he went into the morning after our conversation the woman starts telling him about the aura around him, that she hadn't seen one like that in a long time, that he had lost someone recently...and gave him a small heart shaped stone she insist he keep with him as protection.

Apart from the new age weirdness of the unsolicited conversation, the timing of it within hours of our paranormal chat was equally striking.

Addendum: he was here for 3 nights (he'll be back over several weeks) but the first night he was here he'd asked for a second room for his friend and workmate, Ben. After the latter had left, the next day - in fact it was the trigger for our initial conversation about dream stuff - he said Ben had had a sleep paralysis episode that night in my house. Not too much detail was offered and non asked, except that it involved the belief there was a snake in the bed. Very freudian. But what i didn't tell him as i didn't want to creep him out, is that my own very few sleep paralysis experiences in the past had happened in that same bed, the one clearly remembered being when i thought myself awake, with something tail like and furry in my hand (steady!), which i was then shocked to realise was physically growing out of my chest...before a voice said "the eyes..the eyes follow you round the room" and i woke up a second time with a jolt. The similarity between a perceived cat's tail and a snake may be of note. Who knows.

gattino

Justified & Ancient
He was back this week so i had a chance to flesh out the reiki incident a bit.

He went along shortly after his father's death, with unresolved tensions, emotions, grief etc. His understanding was that it would release these bottled up feelings. It involved him laying down and being covered up and the practicioner passed her hands over him...without (as he understands it) ever coming into contact. An important point as the first uncanny thing was that he felt the sensation of touch throughout the experience.

His eyes were closed. He prefers the word vision rather than dream as it had a separate quality..its general vividness and the fact he remembered it on "waking" with the clarity of a real experience rather than the usuaul fading whispiness of a dream. And essentially he "saw" hs father...and his equally deceased grandmother. The activities in the "vision" were of no great import - or at least i can't recall them now in retelling his account - it was more that he was seeing them right therein front of him. There was no conversation or interaction except right at the end when his father turned around and looked back at him and said something to the effect of it "its going to be ok. Fly high."

He was woken from his reverie by the reiki practicioner at that moment. For him it had lasted a couple of minutes, but in fact she informed him he'd been there for 45.

Next oddity is that the reiki lady rather than trying to sell him more informed him she wouldn't see him for a long time, years perhaps, but he'll know when the time is right.

Finally his mum who had also had a session - before or after he did i'm not sure - reported the exact same vision of the same two people.

onetwothree

Sigils, Prosecco and crying are my main talents.
Love this thread! It's absolutely fascinating; am looking forward to reading more!

gattino

Justified & Ancient
Well this afternoon i've googled the subject of visions during reiki and interestingly find a number of people, who have clearly had such an experience themselves, asking how normal this is. The answer seems to be its not standard but is far from uncommon. Which is fascinating.

As for its - to me - obvious similarities to Dr Alan Botkin's so named "Induced After Death Communication" process*, I showed my guest a chapter in a book describing it. He read it and said it wasn't the same in his eyes, though the reasons he gave seemed to be entirely functional..thzat IADC was deliberately induced whereas his was spontaneous. He also emphasised a lack of conversation between him and the deceased, which again parted from much of the IADC accounts. But these seem to me to be minor matters. The subject matter and vivid nature of the visions, plus their grief healing outcome, seem to me to be too similar to be unconnected.

*for the unfamiliar Botkin discovered quite by chance a process whereby finger/eye movements suggested to patients while reliving their core sadness stemming from whatever grief or trauma caused them to have spontaneous extraordinary and healing visions/interactions with the deceased. The process has been and is replicated many times...and, if the account in his own book is to be credited, it goes way beyond mere visual imagery. In some cases he reports other people in the room also experience what the patient is seeing.

http://www.induced-adc.com/experiences/

WierdExeter

Junior Acolyte
Great posts, and relevant to my own experience working in hotels from the age of 17 until my late-30s. Much of that time was spent in rural locations and it seems there is nothing like a few drinks and a crackling log fire on a dark winter’s night to bring out the paranormal experiences of guests. In fact, it was this aspect of hotel life that kept my childhood fascination with the paranormal alive during my rather hectic late-teens and early-20s...!

Of course there were sceptics, but it never ceased to amaze me how many guests would report haunting, ghosts, ufo encounters etc and consider themselves somewhat unique. Furthermore, the places I worked in had their own ghosts, including:
  • Housekeepers reporting poltergerist activity in the newly-renovated annexe of a hotel in Barnstaple
  • Hampshire: A grey lady ghost who had been immortalised in an oil painting by a guests who witnessed her in the 1950s (painting hung in back of reception). A member of staff had seen her in the 1980s, too.
  • Dartington Hall, Devon: a plethora of well documented hauntings, although during my nine years it was the sighting of a glowing figure in a cloak by a waiter and poltergeist activity in the kitchens that stood out.
  • Somerset: before I joined the Globe Inn at Milverton as a relief manager, the building had been extensively renovated and had subsequently been plagued by a very malevolent poltergeist. The owner had the building exorcised and a light installed in a certain corner to appease the spirit. This was non-nonsense stuff and it had clearly been an unpleasant episode.

Jacket_Potato

Junior Acolyte
Great posts, and relevant to my own experience working in hotels from the age of 17 until my late-30s. Much of that time was spent in rural locations and it seems there is nothing like a few drinks and a crackling log fire on a dark winter’s night to bring out the paranormal experiences of guests. In fact, it was this aspect of hotel life that kept my childhood fascination with the paranormal alive during my rather hectic late-teens and early-20s...!

Of course there were sceptics, but it never ceased to amaze me how many guests would report haunting, ghosts, ufo encounters etc and consider themselves somewhat unique. Furthermore, the places I worked in had their own ghosts, including:
  • Housekeepers reporting poltergerist activity in the newly-renovated annexe of a hotel in Barnstaple
  • Hampshire: A grey lady ghost who had been immortalised in an oil painting by a guests who witnessed her in the 1950s (painting hung in back of reception). A member of staff had seen her in the 1980s, too.
  • Dartington Hall, Devon: a plethora of well documented hauntings, although during my nine years it was the sighting of a glowing figure in a cloak by a waiter and poltergeist activity in the kitchens that stood out.
  • Somerset: before I joined the Globe Inn at Milverton as a relief manager, the building had been extensively renovated and had subsequently been plagued by a very malevolent poltergeist. The owner had the building exorcised and a light installed in a certain corner to appease the spirit. This was non-nonsense stuff and it had clearly been an unpleasant episode.
Absolutely fascinating! Did you find out anything else about the poltergeist in Somerset episode?

Mrs Migs

Junior Acolyte
Well this afternoon i've googled the subject of visions during reiki and interestingly find a number of people, who have clearly had such an experience themselves, asking how normal this is. The answer seems to be its not standard but is far from uncommon. Which is fascinating.

As for its - to me - obvious similarities to Dr Alan Botkin's so named "Induced After Death Communication" process*, I showed my guest a chapter in a book describing it. He read it and said it wasn't the same in his eyes, though the reasons he gave seemed to be entirely functional..thzat IADC was deliberately induced whereas his was spontaneous. He also emphasised a lack of conversation between him and the deceased, which again parted from much of the IADC accounts. But these seem to me to be minor matters. The subject matter and vivid nature of the visions, plus their grief healing outcome, seem to me to be too similar to be unconnected.

*for the unfamiliar Botkin discovered quite by chance a process whereby finger/eye movements suggested to patients while reliving their core sadness stemming from whatever grief or trauma caused them to have spontaneous extraordinary and healing visions/interactions with the deceased. The process has been and is replicated many times...and, if the account in his own book is to be credited, it goes way beyond mere visual imagery. In some cases he reports other people in the room also experience what the patient is seeing.

http://www.induced-adc.com/experiences/
A friend of mine had some reiki sessions following the deaths of her parents fairly close together. She has described to me seeing and speaking with both parents over several sessions, until her father told her that she’d be fine now, and he wouldn’t be seeing her again for a long time. Sure enough, next reiki session, all she had was a feeling of complete calm.
Me? The only thing that ever happens to me in a reiki session is I fall asleep. I feel nothing. Sensitive as a stick, me...

escargot

Beloved of Ra
A former friend of mine had a reiki session, even though she's sceptical, and told me of her interesting experience.

Her eyes were closed but she saw a vertical eye-shaped opening, like a window in front of her face, through which she could clearly see everything in the room. This lasted for some minutes until the 'window' closed when the session was ending.