• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

More Tales From My Guests

Been a while but a couple of new ones from the current guest.

About 9 years ago, for 3 months after the family cat was dead and buried , several times a week in a half asleep state she would hear and feel the cat jump onto the bed and pad around.

She "just thought I must be going mad"..until one night her young daughter was sharing the bed and suddenly asked "what was that?" "What?" asked mum. "It felt like ( cat's name) just jumped on the bed".....

Second tale.
Her one and only visit to a medium. The medium tells her there's something about scissors going missing - my guest says she had to repurchase children's scissors at least a dozen times as they kept vanishing "She's laughing as she says that her doing".

The identity of "she" became apparent when the medium reenacted the hairbrushing movement the deceased kept showing her over and over "it's more than the brushing it's something to do with the brush, she just keeps repeating it". My guest's late and beloved mother in law had apparently in life gifted her a very expensive high end brand hairbrush .

Not a guest, but several tales ive never heard before from a sister in law of mine.

When she was a child she and her mum or aunt went to see the alleged medium Derek Acorah on stage. It was as underwhelming as you might anticipate but she had desperately hoped to hear from her late Nan. At the end of the show Acorah said to the audience that if you hadn't received a message so far something will happen tonight at midnight, you'll get a sign.

Now she lived in the house and room of the deceased grandmother. On the strike of midnight a stuffed rabbit toy in her bedroom, with rubber suction cups that stuck it to the wall fell to the floor. It scared the life out of her and she spent the rest of the night hiding under the blankets. On another occasion in the same room she witnessed in her peripheral vision a pair of scissors on the side table...away from the edge and with no draught or vibrations... spontaneously move and fall to the ground.

But the story of most weight and interest was that as a teenager, she stood up "too quickly" as she went from the living room to the hallway, and suddenly collapsed to her knees and starting shaking uncontrollably.. A seizure in effect...and found herself grabbing tightly hold of the radiator. She then became aware of being above and behind herself watching herself doing this. To be precise she was "3 quarters of the way up the staircase" and was watching her body holding on to the radiator from a vantage point behind and through the "spindles" of the staircase. That's to say she vividly recalls seeing the struts/spindles/whatever they're called in front of her eyes and between her and the scene of her own body. That was the second point of interest and note...a pairs of eyes was all she could conceive herself as being as she was very much conscious of not having any physical form, or "astral body" as some might call it, appended to her centre of vision. No ghostly arms and legs dangling below her. She did not find this a pleasant experience and panicked at the realisation of being disembodied , willing and wishing herself back down into her physical form.

That's what I thought but they have packed with bubblewrap or something, though you would have expected them to have dumped that too.

It could have been homemade booze in plastic bottles, lots of cultures have their versions of moonshine.
My father and his cronies live in Cyprus, one of their lpleasures is to nip over the border in to the North and stock up on brandy in plastic bottles. It is evil stuff that clears all known sinus conditions and probably drains, cost about 50p a pint. I have always declined the opportunity to take a couple f litres home. Dad reckons the low covid rate among his peers is due to regular ingestion of this stuff.

It is evil stuff that clears all known sinus conditions and probably drains, cost about 50p a pint. I have always declined the opportunity to take a couple f litres home.
Don't ever buy 'Gordoons' gin in Egypt. That stuff will blind you. Cheap though.

Just heard a cracking story from R. He's an Indian guest and football fan who has stayed a few times. He came back here in April to see all the big end of season matches. He was supposed to go home to India about 3 weeks ago....but has basically taken root in my house to avoid going home as they're trying to marry him off again..so he's staying put til they give up.

But that's not the story. He told me about his middle brother's marriage. A passive, quiet laid back sort, he married his enthusiastic bride. As soon as the ceremony was over she went stone cold on him. On day 7, before the marriage certificate had even arrived, she declared she wanted out. That's how long the marriage lasted.

And why? This is the showstopper. The Disney movie they should have made but haven't. She was actually in love with someone else. Her parents wouldn't have approved of that match. She planned to run off with him, except ...she went to see a "tantric" ( psychic) who told her her first husband was going to die.

So obviously she didn't want her true love to be her first husband. So she married R's brother so he'd be the one to die instead!

Charming!

( For the record he's still alive 18 years later and married to another).

Just heard a cracking story from R. He's an Indian guest and football fan who has stayed a few times. He came back here in April to see all the big end of season matches. He was supposed to go home to India about 3 weeks ago....but has basically taken root in my house to avoid going home as they're trying to marry him off again..so he's staying put til they give up.

But that's not the story. He told me about his middle brother's marriage. A passive, quiet laid back sort, he married his enthusiastic bride. As soon as the ceremony was over she went stone cold on him. On day 7, before the marriage certificate had even arrived, she declared she wanted out. That's how long the marriage lasted.

And why? This is the showstopper. The Disney movie they should have made but haven't. She was actually in love with someone else. Her parents wouldn't have approved of that match. She planned to run off with him, except ...she went to see a "tantric" ( psychic) who told her her first husband was going to die.

So obviously she didn't want her true love to be her first husband. So she married R's brother so he'd be the one to die instead!

Charming!

( For the record he's still alive 18 years later and married to another).
The stuff of folklore! Reminds me of those stories of the Devil helping a mortal with some task, with the condition that he take the first soul to use the completed item, bridge, whatever, and the clever peasant always outwits the Devil by sending someone else...

Taking the fortean part of the story in its own terms - ie assuming a world in which the psychic really could and did foresee the bride's future - i gave myself a headache trying to disentangle what feels like an insolvable philosophical conundrum.

First it feels like the story is overlayed with shadows of the fable of the man who saw death in the marketplace. Or the linked phrase "we meet death on the road we take to avoid him". Yet that didn't happen of course. She did - in this parallel hypothetical world - escape her presumed destiny of losing her True Love (TL) to death.

So what still bugs me? Her action to avoid him being the foreseen fatality seems simultaneously totally logical...and completely illogical.

It's illogical because nowhere is it claimed that the "tantric" was placing a curse on her. She wasn't handed some power to determine who lives and dies. The fate of a man of her choosing wasn't sealed by the gods. Yet her action in marrying another so the prediction would be fulfilled through him instead of the TL is substituting a mere prediction about her own future for the piece of paper Nial MacGinnis would slip in a chosen victim's pocket in Night of the Demon. Isn't it?

There may be in fact be two ways to interpret the power and meaning of this prediction:

1) "If I marry A, A will die, but if i marry B, B will die". Death of her spouse is the inescapable part.
2) "B will die and i am destined to marry him." Marriage to B is the inescapable part.

But the second version , while more logical, involves the age old problem of successful prophecy. She only married who she did precisely because she was told the prediction. So which came first?

A non psychic speculation...given the prophecy was horseshit and caused her to not marry her TL initially at least, do you suppose her family could have suggested the "your first husband will die" to the psychic to pass on to her to stop her running off with him? That's an even better plot. Get Disney on the line, now!

Slipping back to the bizarre coincidences element of these posts (which I'm loving btw) let me give my own Doozy...

I went to school in Birkenhead, Merseyside during the 1970's and 80's a very very troubled time for that parish, Heroin and consequent crime were rife and a lot of good folk were lost to addiction and the criminal justice system.

One of my good friends at that time was a lad called Peter King or 'Kingy' who was a really good guy, he was sporty and popular with the girls but drugs and the spiral there caught him and took him away from his mates and family. I'd put him down as lost and, as the years passed he slipped from memory and life went on.

As soon as possible, after school years, I left home at 16 and moved to the south coast where i ended up training as a Nurse and then went on to be a medical equipment rep, I rose through the ranks and ended up as a Marketing manager for a big U.S healthcare firm but, all the while, i was developing my own addiction to alcohol and painkillers. I was functional as there was a big drinking culture in the European offices, but, when I was sent to the U.S offices I found a very sober environment where drunken meetings were absolutely a no go and arriving at work hungover was career limiting. I was struggling with this and losing, my life was in the toilet as i sought ever more desperate ways to manage my addiction...balancing it with cocaine and codiene. Eventually I was sent to Los Angeles for a big project and arrived at LAX in a total state. I hired a car and was on the offramp to the freeway just in time to meet one of the famous L.A rushhour traffic jams. I was sitting in the car with the aircon at max just thinking, and paniking about my D.Ts and how the f**k was i goong to sort out my s**t.

I started to notice a loud horn blowing repeatedly from next to me, it was a coach sitting alongside and eventually I just couldnt ignore it any more, I wound down the window and stuck my head out to see what the problem was, I could see the driver, basically out of his seat in the doorway leaning back to honk his horn then i saw the drivers beaming face, he was shouting "Nickymac" my nickname at school, and waving.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the driver was Pete King, "Kingy" was the driver! he was shouting over and asking where I was going...by now traffic was moving but Kingy and I held a shouted conversation despite the impatient honks and shouts from the folk behind us, agreeing to meet later at my hotel.

When we got together I learnt that he had migrated to the U.S after eventually being one of the tiny few who got off Heroin successfully and he was now the founding member of an L.A chapter of Narcotics anonymous...He saved me that day. I went along to N.A for the first time the next night and every night for the two months I was there. Kingy got me my mentor in my home town there and I'm clean now. 15 years sober. I still attend N.A once a week and have tried my best to help others suffering from addiction.

Alongside this intervention from the upper realms of Forteana, it also transpires that a girl I had briefly dated on a kibbutz in Israel in the late 80s was his sister I thought it was enough of a coincidence that she hailed from Birkenhead too. We were not a good romantic pairing but we were otherwise friends when we parted. She hadn't mentioned him to me when we dated because she was ashamed of him then. We're all still in close touch due to this, what i consider, fantastic co-incidence. A real life saver.

Its been a while since i asked a guest for any stories from the twilight zone, so its as well that today one volunteered his. And it's...well...the holy grail of its kind. You'll see why.

An elderly but still working gentleman is currently staying here. He's returned home as his 93 year old sister who lives nearby is sadly on her way out so he knows this is likely the last time he shall see her.

I would not by any means call him an eccentric - there is no affected oddness about him - but its a tempting word as he occupies the same space as one would expect an eccentric to occupy. A character, then, or rather an adventurer. Someone who has had a full life, brushing against fame and history, and if he's not written a memoir he needs to. His stories are often long and go off on a multiverse of tangents, but they're nearly all fascinating.

In any case its not the place for those. They main fact to note is that he has lived for the last 52 years in Ethiopia of all places.

This morning he told me this:
Back in 1968, returning home from a stint in Northern Ireland (he's a chartered accountant/auditor who has been posted around the world), his sister asked him to drive her to see what he says was a very famous local medium at the time called May (Mae?). She lived in a top floor flat and he waited outside while his sister was up there. She came down and told him May wants to see *you*. Perplexed, and not interested in mediums, but obliging he went up to see what on earth she wanted to see him for. An elderly, clearly immobile, old lady greeted him "I've been waiting for you" she said "I'm so glad i got to see you. As I'll be dead next week". (!)

She told him he would move to Abyssinia. That he would marry a woman called "Vlahopoulou" (!!), would have 3 kids and would be rich.

He later found out she had indeed died the following week. But his interest being politely sceptical at best and the prophecies being so out there he essentially never thought about the incident again..even when 2 years later he was posted to Ethiopia where he has lived ever since. Ethiopia is how the country was always labelled in his stamp albums, so though an educated man he simply never connected it to this past Abyssinian reference. In 1973 he met the half greek ethiopian lady who was to become his wife and, yes bear him 3 children. She lived with her uncle whose name was the rather exotic Agamemnon Pytharas. That was therefore her surname too. Eventually he takes his bride home to liverpool to meet the family. At one point his sister is left chatting alone with the lady. She comes running out to her brother "Alan! Alan! Do you remember...May, the medium? Remember what she said? You'd live in Abyssinia and marry a woman named Vlahapoulou?!" His memory jogged, he mumbled...ok...but her name is Pytharas. His sister informed him what she had just learned from conversation with the bride to be...Pytharas was the uncle's surname, not hers. Her actual last name from birth was....

Do you really need me to say it? Vlahopoulou

Now I have no doubt whatsoever that he told me an accurate and honest account as he knows and recalls it. Which begs the obvious question...how on earth could any fraudulent or self deluded medium cold read, guess, or even psychically intuit such a unique and improbable and utterly unfamiliar name 5 years ahead of time?

Its been a while since i asked a guest for any stories from the twilight zone, so its as well that today one volunteered his. And it's...well...the holy grail of its kind. You'll see why.

An elderly but still working gentleman is currently staying here. He's returned home as his 93 year old sister who lives nearby is sadly on her way out so he knows this is likely the last time he shall see her.

I would not by any means call him an eccentric - there is no affected oddness about him - but its a tempting word as he occupies the same space as one would expect an eccentric to occupy. A character, then, or rather an adventurer. Someone who has had a full life, brushing against fame and history, and if he's not written a memoir he needs to. His stories are often long and go off on a multiverse of tangents, but they're nearly all fascinating.

In any case its not the place for those. They main fact to note is that he has lived for the last 52 years in Ethiopia of all places.

Back in 1968, returning home from a stint in Northern Ireland (he's a chartered accountant/auditor who has been posted around the world), his sister asked him to drive her to see what he says was a very famous local medium at the time called May (Mae?). She lived in a top floor flat and he waited outside while his sister was up there. She came down and told him May wants to see *you*. Perplexed, and not interested in mediums, but obliging he went up to see what on earth she wanted to see him for. An elderly, clearly immobile, old lady greeted him "I've been waiting for you" she said "I'm so glad i got to see you. As I'll be dead next week". (!)

She told him he would move to Abyssinia. That he would marry a woman called "Vlahopoulou" (!!), would have 3 kids and would be rich.

He later found out she had indeed died the following week. But his interest being politely sceptical at best and the prophecies being so out there he essentially never thought about the incident again..even when 2 years later he was posted to Ethiopia where he has lived ever since. Ethiopia is how the country was always labelled in his stamp albums, so though an educated man he simply never connected it to this past Abyssinian reference. In 1973 he met the half greek ethiopian lady who was to become his wife and, yes bear him 3 children. She lived with her uncle whose name was the rather exotic Agamemnon Pytharas. That was therefore her surname too. Eventually he takes his bride home to liverpool to meet the family. At one point his sister is left chatting alone with the lady. She comes running out to her brother "Alan! Alan! Do you remember...May, the medium? Remember what she said? You'd live in Abyssinia and marry a woman named Vlahapoulou?!" His memory jogged, he mumbled...ok...but her name is Pytharas. His sister informed him what she had just learned from conversation with the bride to be...Pytharas was the uncle's surname, not hers. Her actual last name from birth was....

Now I have no doubt whatsoever that he told me an accurate and honest account as he knows and recalls it. Which begs the obvious question...how on earth could any fraudulent or self deluded medium cold read, guess, or even psychically intuit such a unique and improbable and utterly unfamiliar name 5 years ahead of time?
Perhaps being literally at death's door, she was able to access "stuff" from beyond the veil? You here of people making such predictions close to death even when they don't claim to be mediums.

What I'd want to know on reflection - and presumably can't expect him to have any answer to half a century later - is what was the nature of her needing and wanting to tell him this stuff? I mean it wasn't a warning ..it didn't cause him to take or avoid any course of action. So who or what was puportedly keen that he should be informed of it? A deceased person? Who? The Psychic's own unconscious mind displaying precognition? But why ...this is another person' life and events taking place after her own death. What compelling force, internal or external , lead her to have or need to share these insights?

Once my Sri Lankan friend was at the local shopping centre when a woman she didn't know approached her.
She said that she had been waiting to see her and proceded to tell her various things that were going to happen.
Then she left and my friend never saw her again.
So perhaps some people have an urgent impulse to do these things.

If there are "other powers" communicating, perhaps the whole point of the communication is to shake up the world view of the recipient (or their immediate family/friends) for some reason.

Once my Sri Lankan friend was at the local shopping centre when a woman she didn't know approached her.
She said that she had been waiting to see her and proceded to tell her various things that were going to happen.
Then she left and my friend never saw her again.
So perhaps some people have an urgent impulse to do these things.
Did those various things ever transpire?

I'm not sure, she chose not to tell me what they were.
It might have been about the dreadful partner she had at the time which would not have surprised us.

This has many tropes I've heard before - the person receiving the message being a sceptical relative who wasn't intending to visit the medium, the later reveal of a detail - the surname.

The predicted imminent death of the medium sounds like something that is there to validate the other prophecy and add an extra layer of poignancy and oddness.

When he got back last night i questioned him in more details on the things that i thought invited speculation.

The compulsion to tell him: he didn't quite see it in those terms. The actual quote from "May" was a rather gallows humour "I've been dying to see you" rather than my more urgent sounding paraphrasing of "I'm so glad i got to see you"

He says she certainly didn't know him from Adam, nor know he was there (though its hard to imagine his sister didn't at least say "my brother is downstairs"). Either way his personal understanding/explanation/processing of her gift and the fact of telling him his future was devoid of messages from the other side. He perceived that - whether he was told this or deduced it for himself - this housebound woman's gift was projecting herself into other places and lives and she got pleasure and distraction from doing so. A sort of Rear Window scenario. She was aware of someone in her proximity destined to the exotic and far off sounding Abyssinia which thrilled her so that's who her , lets call it astral self for convenience, honed in on and perceived details about. She was focused on him because his future life got her attention and peaked her interest.

An interesting and novel understanding.

With my sceptical hat on i questioned how certain they could be after 5 years that the name of his wife was indeed the same one he had been told by the psychic. After all even though ive heard it multiple times now, written it down,seen it written down, I still can't recall it accurately after minutes, let alone hours. Could she not have just said some generic made up vowel-filled foreign sounding name, which only in retrospect he and his sister convinced themselves had been Vlahapoulou?

To this he said with both confidence and casualness that he had had no thoughts or recollection of the incident with the medium from the day it happened until his sister alerted him to it's fulfilment. He himself wouldn't have remembered the name at all. However he says his sister has a remarkable and unusual memory. He thought about it afterwards and declared to himself that yes "That WAS the name she'd said!".

Not a guest tale, but another random story recounted to me so I'll throw it in here.. especially as its very much a FOAF tale and I'm unlikely to access more direct details from the original source.

Brother 3 just messaged me and told me Brother 1 had a tale i would be interested in. I'll message B1 tomorrow to see if i can flesh it out a little more, but the summary as told by B3 is as follows:

A man known to B1 had told him how his daughter and her bf were on holiday in Spain. They hired a car and drove up into the mountains. Skimpily dressed in shorts etc, when it suddenly got very cold and a mist descended over the mountain, they returned to the car, but it wouldn't start. Panic started to set in. But then "from the side of the car near the mountain edge side" a man appeared. He placed his hand on the bonnet of the car and the engine "burst into life". The man walks off into the fog and the couple managed to get safely down the mountain.

I shall try and find out tomorrow such questions as did the man actually speak...the bare tale gives the impression he didn't.

Not a guest tale, but another random story recounted to me so I'll throw it in here.. especially as its very much a FOAF tale and I'm unlikely to access more direct details from the original source.

Brother 3 just messaged me and told me Brother 1 had a tale i would be interested in. I'll message B1 tomorrow to see if i can flesh it out a little more, but the summary as told by B3 is as follows:

A man known to B1 had told him how his daughter and her bf were on holiday in Spain. They hired a car and drove up into the mountains. Skimpily dressed in shorts etc, when it suddenly got very cold and a mist descended over the mountain, they returned to the car, but it wouldn't start. Panic started to set in. But then "from the side of the car near the mountain edge side" a man appeared. He placed his hand on the bonnet of the car and the engine "burst into life". The man walks off into the fog and the couple managed to get safely down the mountain.

I shall try and find out tomorrow such questions as did the man actually speak...the bare tale gives the impression he didn't.
Please keep us posted! You have the most marvelous life, full of weirdness and wonder. I am envious.

Ha..I appreciate it but im not sure how much this reflects my life being full of weirdness..it's an incident many times removed from me personally.

I've now messaged Brother 1 to ask him to confirm or elaborate on the story. The first thing i did was to show him B3's summary of his words and ask if it was correctly conveyed. In a strong example of the dangers of Chinese Whispers, a couple of details were very inaccurate. Apparently it was not the girl's bf with her but her mate, and they never left the car...it was just the journey was taking a lot longer than anticipated and they decided to turn back but the engine just died.

The account of the man's appearance and disappearance remains unchanged. B1 confirms his understanding that he never said a word. Location wise he believes it was somewhere in the Canary Islands.

The source of the the tale was the man who runs a meditation group he's in. It was told as a personal example of an angelic-type encounter.

He will if he gets the chance probe him for more details.

Nothing more on the above, but a new brief one from a youngish American guest.

He tells me his mother who had lifelong medical problems developed schizophrenia from opiate use (she has recovered from the latter). He said there were occassions when she would spontaneously and creepily begin to speak in a deep, deep, much deeper than his, voice ala the hollywood depiction of possession. On one occassion - he implied there were many more stories to tell but withheld telling them - he and his then girlfriend were visiting her. When they passed from the garage where they were with her into the house proper, his (but not his gf's) hair inexplicably stood upright on his head as if being raised by static. A bizarre experience in isolation but made curious and creepy by his mother reacting with the words "Oh I'm sorry, Honey"....with the clear implication this phenomenon had something to do with her.

Edit: I forgot a bit! Later ( possibly that night) his gf woke him and asked him about the cat. He didn't know what she was talking about. She said she'd just seen a black cat walk past in the room.

There was no cat.

Last edited:
New guest tale. A young woman whose father died at 57 of a heart attack. On the day of his death, in the family waiting room the hands of the clock were inexplicably and to their fascination spinning round at speed and continued to do so until the moment the consultant enter the room to inform them their father had just passed, at which point it stopped dead.

(Not at the correct time, before you ask)
I have spent time in offices where the clocks did this - they are Wi-Fi these days looking for the official time signal and if they need replacement and they find they are a second off they sometimes spin for a while until they are happy with the signal. They can also be jogged to start or stop the spin behavior by a good jolt, like a door opening or closing.

So the young American mentioned in my last post was here a couple of days, went away for most of the week, and is back again. And the stories are multiplying in very intriguing ways. I don't know where to start.

Yesterday i told him my own long sagas of brushes with paranormal seeming coincidences, reported often around these boards (the disappearing/reappearing cross, the recurring theme of the book the Prophet by Kahlil Gibran etc). At various points things i said reminded him and, for him, validated incidents from his own past.

When i said i'd read in a book that if the deceased send signs it would be something specific to them - "not just perfume, but Aunt Mary's favourite perfume" it triggered one such flashback. He reports that after the death of his grandfather, the night of the funeral - which for reasons, he didn't attend - he woke to the "overwhelming" smell in his room of lavendar, with no discernible source. Lavendar was, he says, a smell he very much associated with his grandfather who loved it. He was thinking of it as i was telling my tale and my words on the subject of heaven scent aromas punctuated his thoughts and startled him.

When i mentioned the connection to Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet, he was one of those rare people i mention it to who is very familiar with it....it again grabbed his attention as personally meaningful as it was one of his 3 favourite books, which he kept. He reported a weird connection of his own.... as a singer/songwriter among his talents, he had once written a song about someone called /refered to as Amena Divine, a seemingly invented name of his own , only to be mystified when he later discovered Amena Divine is a character is one of Gibran's other works.

Finally in terms of personal stories he opened up to the fact that from earliest childhood - before conscious awareness of the subject matter of the Holocaust - he has had recurring dreams of being a victim of it, of living in that time and place. He was recently in Krakow. Though he didn't go to Auschwitz he's aware the city itself holds memories of terrible things. He says walking along a particular street with a female local friend he felt himself suddenly "overwhelmed" and literally started sobbing uncontrollably. He began to throw up. He said the trigger was looking up at some random building or other and this flood of emotion and despair overcame him.

I've remarked on here previously about such things being reported by visitors to preserved concentration camps...the insinuation is usually that the place itself holds emotional energy. In his case however it seemed to suggest the memories were personal.

Anyway they're his personal additional tales but now a separate weird dream sequence connected to him.

A few days ago i had a dream. He wasn't in it per se, but it was clearly from all the details inspired by/a representation of him. So i did my now usual routine of messaging the dreamed of person to enquire if the dream related to something recently passing their awareness. There was very little to ask him about however. Just two unusual visuals. The movie star Jimmy Stewart lying , naked, face down on the floor in what i assume to be hitchockian rear window type movie perhaps. And the American and I searching for Mickey Mouse cartoons.

He was fascinated by the dream (he works peripherally in Hollywood) but couldn't link it to anything immediately relevant. As i say he came back yesterday and i mentioned the dream again in person, which no doubt accounts for the fact that i dreamt of JS again this morning.

I woke from a dream at 5am, realising it was about Stewart again i reached for my phone and recorded the details i could recall. In the dream im sitting on the sofa with..well, again i didn't see him but assume it must have been the american... and pick up a book from the coffee table and a polaroid photo of Jimmy Stewart falls out. On the back is a handwritten paragraph in which the actor explains "Here I am at the ranch/on the set of...." and dated some date in 1997. Half awake i muttered the date several times, 1997...and comment dismissively on it as i do so that "he'd have been long dead by then". If forced to guess id have estimated JS die in the mid to late 80s. Still now the thought was in my head i was unable resist the temptation to wake myself and check it out on my phone. Turn out he actually died in July..... 1997. This is not something i had any conscious awareness of.

Perhaps overegging the pudding but there's a potential significance to the Mickey Mouse allusion too. Seem JS's last movie credit, 13 years after his penultimate one, was as a voice actor in... An American Tail 2:Feivel Goes West. An animated mouse movie, of course.

I told the American guest all this this morning. He interrupted me twice. An American Tail (the first one) was his favourite childhood film. Ho hum. But more intriguiingly he woke from a dream that he had ...well.. woken at 5AM and started recording his dream. Let me rephrase that for clarity. *HE* dreamt he was doing what *I* really was doing and in his dream he was doing so at the time I was really doing it.

Back