• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

More Than A Dream

David staniland

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hi. First Post. Long time lurker.

Unsure if this is the right area of forum. But here goes.

Was on a school camping trip to North Wales in UK about late June 1987. So was about 13. Two man tent. On the first or second night I had this weird experience. Will try to explain it best as possible. Over the years I can recall how I felt at that time.

About 10pm looking over the hills about 2 or 3 three miles away I could see 6 large bright lights interchanging positions. Really fast. Went on for about 20 minutes. Nobody else seen it or if they did never mentioned it.

Anyway went asleep in tent. Our tent was on the edge of the camp area. About sometime woke up and turned to my friend next to me. He was not there,everything else was in the correct place not like in a dream. Remember feeling panic and sick. This happened 2 or 3 other times during night. Waking up nobody in next sleeping bag. Think by now I was shouting his name out. Must have then got back to sleep. In the morning when I woke it was light and was sleeping now with my head at the entrance to the tent. This time my friend was there and was surprised to see me sleeping that way. Just felt relieved. I did ask him if he left the tent in the night. He said no.

Over the two days he was ill and sick a few times. Still seem occasionally and I always bring this story up. He's quite relaxed about it but I can still bring back that fear of being in the tent alone.

People I've spoke to since have mentioned it's just a dream. But how real it was like touching things Feeling worried. I've never had the same since before or after.
Sorry if I've waffled on. Thanks.

Hi. First Post. Long time lurker.

Unsure if this is the right area of forum. But here goes.

Was on a school camping trip to North Wales in UK about late June 1987. So was about 13. Two man tent. On the first or second night I had this weird experience. Will try to explain it best as possible. Over the years I can recall how I felt at that time.

About 10pm looking over the hills about 2 or 3 three miles away I could see 6 large bright lights interchanging positions. Really fast. Went on for about 20 minutes. Nobody else seen it or if they did never mentioned it.

Anyway went asleep in tent. Our tent was on the edge of the camp area. About sometime woke up and turned to my friend next to me. He was not there,everything else was in the correct place not like in a dream. Remember feeling panic and sick. This happened 2 or 3 other times during night. Waking up nobody in next sleeping bag. Think by now I was shouting his name out. Must have then got back to sleep. In the morning when I woke it was light and was sleeping now with my head at the entrance to the tent. This time my friend was there and was surprised to see me sleeping that way. Just felt relieved. I did ask him if he left the tent in the night. He said no.

Over the two days he was ill and sick a few times. Still seem occasionally and I always bring this story up. He's quite relaxed about it but I can still bring back that fear of being in the tent alone.

People I've spoke to since have mentioned it's just a dream. But how real it was like touching things Feeling worried. I've never had the same since before or after.
Sorry if I've waffled on. Thanks.
Hi David, do you think your friend might have been sleep walking ? .. I only ask because at about the same age in the same year I was on holiday with one of my school mates, each morning we'd wake up and his bedside cabinet would be at an angle which we both obviously found a bit strange. I was awake when he was asleep one night and watched him punch the cabinet which we both found quite funny when I told him the next morning. I'm glad I wasn't next to him in a sleeping bag.

Have a suitable song to celebrate your first post. It's a tradition here. Every thread needs a song.

I'm wondering if you could accurately tell how long had passed between each interval of falling asleep and waking up. It might be that your friend had an attack of diarrhea (being ill afterwards) which he was embarrassed to mention, and you in fact woke up whilst he was out of the tent but slept and woke repeatedly during a short period of time. If your tent mate had only got up to go to the loo then he might not even remember doing it, and you could have registered it as being absent for a long period if you slept and woke frequently.

I used the American spelling. (And I did have to look it up first!)

Diarrhoea is a nightmare to spell...

There used to be a clipboard in the sergeants' office on which sick reports were collected. It had the word "diarrhoea" written on it in Snopake using large capital letters.

maximus otter

Let's talk about the lights. Can you describe their motion in more detail? Did all of the lights look alike or were they different? Do you recall if the lights illuminated the hills below them? Any sound associated with them? How did you determine that you had them in sight for 20 minutes? What happened at the end of 20 minutes? Did you lose interest of did they make some kind of exit? Anything that would make you sure that this was a real event and not a dream of some type?

Was what intentional? I was referring to the description in the original post and not the scatological posts that followed.

In the morning when I woke it was light and was sleeping now with my head at the entrance to the tent.
maybe in the night you had for some reason (disorientation ?) moved around somewhat, and when you woke up at those times, you were seeing the other end of your pals sleeping bag, rather than the head-end, making you think he was awol

Back