• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

More Vivid Dreaming During The COVID-19 Pandemic

It's funny to think that animals dream. Our little cat (not quite "all there") appears to dream frequently - her whiskers twitch and all 4 legs go as if she is running. I gently stroke her when this happens and she relaxes. I wonder what they dream about.

They seem to dream more when they are very young and very old. My dogs have always twitched away (and barked, funny squeaky barks) most as puppies or, in the case of old dog, when they became elderly and a bit infirm they seemed to dream of chasing things, even when they could no longer chase in real life.

I recall a strange fragment of a dream last night. ISIS type terrorists were going around towns leaving caps on benches and like places with propaganda written on them. They placed them there in the hope that people will like them and wear them.

Last night I had a version of the 'back at school sitting an exam' dream.

Only, for some reason I was sitting an exam I was massively overqualified for. I was sitting outside reading over the rules, and then I had to open a box that was sealed with masses of sellotape (but, in waking life I've been dealing with a lot of deliveries lately, hugely overpacked and sealed, so that's where that comes from). I took out the papers and read the 'bandings' - apparently if I achieved top marks it would qualify me as a 'tramp'.

I was quite looking forward to doing the exam, not anxious at all, and aware that I could pass it easily. I wonder if I'm becoming a wee bit complacent in real life...

My dream could have come straight from a dated sitcom. I dreamt I found what I thought was a rare stamp worth millions and quit my job in spectacular fashion, telling the management exactly what I thought of them, only to then discover it was worth less than 50 quid and had to go grovelling to get my job back.
I also dreamt I had a talking cat but he was really, really boring - think Ralph from Dear John - type boring.

Last night I had a version of the 'back at school sitting an exam' dream.

Only, for some reason I was sitting an exam I was massively overqualified for. I was sitting outside reading over the rules, and then I had to open a box that was sealed with masses of sellotape (but, in waking life I've been dealing with a lot of deliveries lately, hugely overpacked and sealed, so that's where that comes from). I took out the papers and read the 'bandings' - apparently if I achieved top marks it would qualify me as a 'tramp'.

I was quite looking forward to doing the exam, not anxious at all, and aware that I could pass it easily. I wonder if I'm becoming a wee bit complacent in real life...
I took exams for the best part of 20 years and was then involved in setting exams and marking papers for another 10 years. I frequently have dreams involving having to sit an exam where I have done no preparation whatsoever and wake in a bit of a sweat. Given up trying to fathom that one out!

I think that's a standard anxiety dream PeteS, that's why I was dubious about my 'total lack of anxiety' exam dream!

No sexy tramping here. No tramping of any kind. Maybe I failed the exam!

I got home late last night and was extra tired, after playing in my first cricket match of the year.

Had a vivid dream that came very much out of left field and I cannot even speculate what caused it or what it meant.

We had guests over from France - my brother in law, his wife and their daughters.
We wanted to take them somewhere spectacular and I recommended going to a visitor centre.
We paid our entrance fee and went first to a large cafeteria area with a panoramic window. The view was of an unimaginably vast bridge, vaguely resembling The Forth Bridge, but orders of magnitude more massive, miles in width, with individual girders the size of skyscrapers and the bridge's length seemingly stretching into infinity. Awestruck, I paused to take some photos on my smartphone. The next room featured virtual reality viewers that showed the historical construction of the bridge - I got the impression that it had taken centuries, if not millennia, to build. Finally we passed through a gift shop selling colourful little tokens, like commemorative coins or pendants, at either £10 or £7 each. I was contemplating buying one, but then my alarm woke me.
A shame the photos I took on my dream phone can't be posted here!

Last edited:
As with Bless, I was extra tired last night after two back to back late shifts.

Firstly I dreamed that I was going to bed in a large dormitory type room with my boss, her husband and a couple of other people. As we lay down, someone was shouting elsewhere in the house. We all looked at each other - nobody else was supposed to be there. When we went downstairs, there was a whole family sitting around my dining table about to eat a roasted chicken that's in my freezer right now. I was furious! I'd started to attack the man carving the chicken - and a large, Alsatian dog, very elderly came pottering in to see what the fuss was about.

Very odd.

The other dream was something I was watching on TV. It had started with the usual TV detective series pre-credit sequence, some people on an island where something mysterious was happening. Then we cut to David Tennant, playing an older man, a detective, in a small fishing boat with a woman and several other men. He and the woman were a couple, kissing and joking and laughing as the boat headed towards an island. The island was strange in that it had no coast, it just seemed to start, no cliffs or beach or anything, just sea - and then sudden flattish land.

We were told that the island was a 'kerridge', which meant that it just ended in water that went down for miles, no slow tapering into deep water, and all the rivers on the island were the same; immediately extremely deep.

I think the drama was called 'Steep'.

It actually sounds like a good premise, now I come to think of it!

As with Bless, I was extra tired last night after two back to back late shifts.

Firstly I dreamed that I was going to bed in a large dormitory type room with my boss, her husband and a couple of other people. As we lay down, someone was shouting elsewhere in the house. We all looked at each other - nobody else was supposed to be there. When we went downstairs, there was a whole family sitting around my dining table about to eat a roasted chicken that's in my freezer right now. I was furious! I'd started to attack the man carving the chicken - and a large, Alsatian dog, very elderly came pottering in to see what the fuss was about.

Very odd.

The other dream was something I was watching on TV. It had started with the usual TV detective series pre-credit sequence, some people on an island where something mysterious was happening. Then we cut to David Tennant, playing an older man, a detective, in a small fishing boat with a woman and several other men. He and the woman were a couple, kissing and joking and laughing as the boat headed towards an island. The island was strange in that it had no coast, it just seemed to start, no cliffs or beach or anything, just sea - and then sudden flattish land.

We were told that the island was a 'kerridge', which meant that it just ended in water that went down for miles, no slow tapering into deep water, and all the rivers on the island were the same; immediately extremely deep.

Do you have any connection to the village of Kerridge in Cheshire?

Your dream island made me think of Bermuda. Located on a volcanic pedestal, the coast drops straight down into very deep water.

I didn't know there was a village called Kerridge - although I could have picked the name up subliminally.

And I did not know that about Bermuda either.

Well, my sleeping brain is clearly more intelligent than my waking one.

Write a screenplay.

I was dreaming of work this morning, but that dream melted away and segued into another, vivid, sequence:
I was starting to watch a movie on DVD. In the opening credits it said, in big pink words that took up the whole screen, "This is an X-rated movie!" I was very surprised, since I'd borrowed it from the public library, and they don't offer X-rated anything. Immediately after that, the first scene of the movie opened. It was an animated movie, and two cartoon men were facing a cartoon black bear. Suddenly, the black bear bit off a hand of one of the men. Then my alarm went off.

What's up with all these bears in my vivid dreams?

The most vivid dream of my childhood - I must have been about 7 or 8 - finished with me putting my hand out of a letterbox and a bear immediately trying to bite it off.... :oops:

I had a "hand bitten off" dream too when I was little. Except it wasn't a bear doing it, it was a giant frog on a beach as I balanced on top of a roll of corrugated iron.

My dream was all about movie star comedian Jerry Lewis. For some reason I had been welcomed into his inner circle, and we all went to see his latest comedy at the cinema. Trouble was, I was painfully aware how unfashionable his comedy had become, so as the audience sat in stony silence he grew increasingly angry and I had to usher him out, explaining people would respect him for his performance in The King of Comedy, honest.

since going back to work, my vivid, although quite dull dreams have sidelined. definitely it was being able to sleep properly during furlough that enabled me to get through my dreaming rather than being horribly interrupted by the evils of the alarm clock.

however, it being the weekend i got a full 8 hours and was dreaming I was watching a film on tv. it was called The Man from Myrwm or some such unpronounceable welsh word.
a young welsh bloke is travelling in australia. while there he gets involved with a sexy older woman who keeps him 'occupied' in her home, whilst also keeping 2 other young men as 'slaves'. there were sordid sexy undertones to the film but it wasn't graphic. it was however a horror film. people started getting murdered and losing body parts. the implication was it was the woman who was a serial killer.
plot twist! about half way through the film it is revealed the woman is actually an undercover police officer. there is a scene in which she is in the police station talking with her boss who was played by a well known american actress doing a bad australian accent. they are saying how 'he is definitely the one'- the welsh bloke is the killer!

i don't know how it ended though because in the dream it was getting late and i needed to be up for work in the morning, so in a ad break i was trying to set the dvr to record the rest of the film, and it wouldn't work properly and my dad was giving me really unhelpful advice, which is ridiculous because he would never watch a film like that or be up that late!

also we were eating a snack like rice krispies, by dry without milk. only it wasn't puffed rice it was puffed couscous and it was called Spiced Krispies.

since going back to work, my vivid, although quite dull dreams have sidelined. definitely it was being able to sleep properly during furlough that enabled me to get through my dreaming rather than being horribly interrupted by the evils of the alarm clock.

however, it being the weekend i got a full 8 hours and was dreaming I was watching a film on tv. it was called The Man from Myrwm or some such unpronounceable welsh word.
a young welsh bloke is travelling in australia. while there he gets involved with a sexy older woman who keeps him 'occupied' in her home, whilst also keeping 2 other young men as 'slaves'. there were sordid sexy undertones to the film but it wasn't graphic. it was however a horror film. people started getting murdered and losing body parts. the implication was it was the woman who was a serial killer.
plot twist! about half way through the film it is revealed the woman is actually an undercover police officer. there is a scene in which she is in the police station talking with her boss who was played by a well known american actress doing a bad australian accent. they are saying how 'he is definitely the one'- the welsh bloke is the killer!

i don't know how it ended though because in the dream it was getting late and i needed to be up for work in the morning, so in a ad break i was trying to set the dvr to record the rest of the film, and it wouldn't work properly and my dad was giving me really unhelpful advice, which is ridiculous because he would never watch a film like that or be up that late!

also we were eating a snack like rice krispies, by dry without milk. only it wasn't puffed rice it was puffed couscous and it was called Spiced Krispies.
Write a screenplay!

My spouse had to wake me this morning, unusual in that I am usually awake long before them.
I was deeply engrossed in cleaning skulls with a selection of paintbrushes and decorating them with orange and turquoise beads. Very badly as they kept dropping off, probably because I was using a fake pritt stick.

No idea what that was all about.

So last night i dreamt about tornados. Dozens of them, in the sky but not really touching the ground. They would sort of flash in and out, one would vanish and instantly be replaced by another. In between them were rainbows, but columns of rainbows not arches.
Oh and the birds were terrified. Whole flocks were landing in gardens and roofs and hunkering down.
It was wild, chaotic, scary and apocalyptic and also very beautiful.

Last night's dream was exceptionally vivid. My XH came back into town; he'd lost weight, was driving a white sports car and wearing a white suit. I was going out for dinner and his whole family turned up at the same restaurant (we live a very long way apart IRL and I haven't spoken to any of them since he left. Nor him either, actually). He pulled up alongside me in his car and started to try to make conversation, I kept walking and just said 'I see you've become a travelling salesman...'

We went inside the restaurant and I was reassured because it was owned by my friend and I knew that one word from me would have him thrown out...

Another very vivid dream last night - I was watching a little boy in a white T shirt, playing with some friends. I was distracted for a moment, and when I looked up the little boy was gone. I was searching for him, across an open field and then into a crowded indoor market place, where my son and his Cosplay friends (dressed, for some inexplicable reason, as Samuri) were on guard duty. I was telling them to keep an eye out for the boy, aged eight or nine.

I had no idea who the boy was or why I was so sure he was lost/snatched versus just having gone home.

Another very vivid dream last night - I was watching a little boy in a white T shirt, playing with some friends. I was distracted for a moment, and when I looked up the little boy was gone. I was searching for him, across an open field and then into a crowded indoor market place, where my son and his Cosplay friends (dressed, for some inexplicable reason, as Samuri) were on guard duty. I was telling them to keep an eye out for the boy, aged eight or nine.

I had no idea who the boy was or why I was so sure he was lost/snatched versus just having gone home.
White seems to be common in your dreams. Connected to your writing perhaps?

I noticed that too, Pete. White clothing. I wonder if it has some deeper meaning

A few nights ago I had a really brief nightmare that every floor I attempted to walk on was covered in broken glass. Not just any glass, glass from broken lightbulbs--you know how tiny those shards can be.
The first thing I saw online in the morning after was as affirmation-ish fb post from a recently widowed friend , illustrated by a pic of a broken bulb, about how when your light bulb is broken, your own light is free to lighten everything
I was glad for her, but it did not comfort me, that early, I still had shard nightmare jitters.

I had a strange ''work' dream a couple of nights ago. I was in some kind of trouble, but it was like school when you have to go and sit by the teacher because youve been naughty. So i had moved desks, not a very interesting dream. However the next nights dream literally picked up where it left off!
'Tedious yet vivid dreaming 2; where are my pens?'

Back