• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

More Vivid Dreaming During The COVID-19 Pandemic

Friend's husband was hacked this week by someone supposedly from the fraud squad and with an Australian number.
The bank said that actually the call was from New Zealand.

I had several very vivid dreams last night, but the one that has stuck with me is of watching my brother eating mashed potato.

My brother is IRL in his late fifties - in my dream he was a teenager. In the dream our father had just died and our mother was living with brother (as she did IRL) with dementia. I had gone to visit the house, where my brother was sitting eating. I put a parcel on the table, it was a Christmas present and mum (who died with dementia nearly four years ago) was sitting there, trying to open the parcel, even though I explained to her it was for Christmas. Then I saw my brother eating and told him I was worried about his teeth - which were gappy and rotting. He said something about getting them fixed. Then I saw what he was eating, it was like a big ball of mashed potato with other stuff mixed in, and there was human hair scattered through it in the most revolting fashion.

He carried on eating it, while mum fussed away in the background, giggling and tiptoeing around ( she had dementia in the dream too).

Very odd. And I wonder why I keep dreaming people as younger than they currently are? That's never really been a noteable feature of my dream life, but suddenly I can only see people as ten or twenty years younger than they are!

That's me and ramonmercado both having dreams about moving and losing all our money.... What is in the air?

I'm not sure that trashing economies is necessarily a deliberate action though, Myth. More a side effect. Nobody is coming out well from this..

And then last night I dreamed I was on a train with my late mother. She wasn't, obviously, late in the dream...

We were standing near the doors in one of the older type of trains, where two carriages join. She was holding her purse and we were talking about her not losing it, whereupon she zipped it into a pocket in the front of her bright blue, very modern looking, coat. I've never actually seen a coat with such a pocket, it was almost where the buttons would be and diagonally placed. She tucked her black purse away and zipped it up.

My mother wore very traditional coats during her life, of the 'macintosh' variety, and would never have considered putting a purse in a pocket - that's what (large, voluminous) handbags are for! And she definitely wouldn't have worn a coat of this bright blue with a darker pattern on it - she was a 'neutral colour' woman all her life. But it was definitely her in the dream.

I dreamt i was a prisoner in a room with a couple of other people with mattresses on the floor. The woman who was keeping us prisoner was trying to give me a drug but she ddn't realise she had spilled the powder. So I was only a little bit hazy. Somehow i left the room and was on a seafront. There was some kind of market, festival thing going on. I was waiting for my friends who were dressed as guests at a wedding. I kept trying to explain I hadn't got dressed yet and I would be ready soon. Then a friend who i haven't seen in a while bought us both ice lollies, they were a bit mushy. There was lots of shades of green in this dream,from the tents in the festival to the ice lollies.

Last night i dreamt I was at a new road junction on foot although it was definitely car based. It was huge with its lots of lanes and round abouts and complicated signage. I was at one side and I was being timed to cross to the Time exit (it was labelled on the green a road sign). As I started to cross the brass band was coming from the exit on my left and I had to speed up to try in get to the right exit but they were getting faster. Then I woke up and it was time to go to work.

I dreamt I was on a date with one of the women from work, we really don't like each other in the waking world and our working relationship is based on "only work will be discussed and there will be a stony silence otherwise"

In the dream we were a gazing at each other over a rather nice candle lit meal, occasionally our fingertips would touch across the table.

First person I saw at work this morning? Yes her "Paul wondered if you could double check these figures" she says attaching a huge spreadsheet to an email. ah well, back to normal.

Last night I dreamed I was in a deserted furniture store, shaking a small child who was actually the Devil. He had the slanted red goat's eyes and everything. I was shaking him fairly gently, back and forth, chanting, 'You will submit to me' over and over. I have the feeling I was trying to 'shake the devil out' or something.

Why I should choose to do this in a furniture warehouse, and why I would presume to get Satan to submit to me, are things I am a little hazy on...

Mwahaha, my daughter told me she had been dreaming that someone was trying to kill her by injecting her with something. After a while the injection site became very sore and swollen. So she went off to find Granny Weatherwax, who squeezed a big larva and some small black ones out of the site, which made it better. Later she squeezed a few more of the tiny black ones out to cure my daughter.

The Teenager is blaming me completely for this as I have finally got one of my offspring interested in the Discworld bu starting her on "Equal Rites" and progressing to "Wyrd Sisters". (Extra bonus points that she is doing "Macbeth" for GCSE!). Also, I spend quite a lot of time squeezing lymph out of larvae, which might have permeated her subconscious. Perhaps she has a point? Apparently it was "gross".

Mwahaha, my daughter told me she had been dreaming that someone was trying to kill her by injecting her with something.
Covid vaccine?

Had a dream about the late wife last night. First time for years since the enigmatic one I described on another thread. Actually quite comforting, despite the initial sadness of waking up and realising it was a dream. I do seem to be coping better now - a dream like that last year would have broken me up for days. .

Dreamt about my parents again last night, I was in an airport terminal with my mother, "where's your father?" she asked. I walked outside the terminal building and he was stood looking around, he looked quite young and healthy, early middle aged I'd say "come on mom's waiting for you" I said and lead him back inside.

I dreamt about my late uncle last night, I was in an unfamiliar house which seemed to be his, but he had painted all the surfaces with green paint and there was nowhere for me to stand, never mind sit. He was his usual self otherwise.

Not much has changed, if at all, in my sleeping patterns despite working from home. I'm still having the usual insomnia when I first go to bed, followed by waking up at around 2:30 or 3am then again at 5 or 5:30am. But I am finding that I am having some quite vivid dreams between my 5/5:30 wake up and when I finally get up around 7am.

I had two quite interesting ones, one this morning and t'other yesterday morning.

This morning's dream was one of those which seem to go on for quite a while. I was living in some sort of dingy, old building, there was another woman there (can't remember what she looked like, wasn't someone I knew) who was unlocking the door while I waited to go in. Can't remember exactly what it looked like, just a metal door with two locks, looked old-ish. Inside there was just a staircase down to the rest of the accommodation, which seemed to be just a big area with some boxes piled at one end and perhaps a door on either side, again with metal walls I think.

At one point Mr Zebra appeared, but bizarrely I referred to him as "my brother" when I asked the woman if he could come in and visit. Mr Zebra suggested we go into my room to talk, which happened to be the door on the right of the pile of boxes. Inside this room there was a bed straight in front of us. To the left was an old fireplace but it had curtains over it and when Mr Zebra opened these, there was a window.

To the right of the bed was another window, and when I opened those curtains I saw the most beautiful scenery outside - a lawn and loads of colourful flowers, with buildings beyond. (Very vivid colours of flowers). This seemed very important to me, as if telling me that it didn't matter how horrible the place was inside, there was a very nice place outside and I shouldn't forget that.

Mr Zebra and I talked, and at first I wanted to ask him if there was any way he could find me a nicer flat than this (I got the impression Mr Zebra had found this place for me), so that I could look after my mum (although she wasn't in the dream at all). But as I was thinking this, I thought how I'd need to find a job and how would I do that, and then I said to him it would be much easier if I could move back in with him, and mum could stay with us. She could look after the dogs while we were at work, etc. (I have no idea why we were apparently living apart in this dream). Mr Zebra seemed to agree with this idea.

Then the dream changed to a view of the house we were apparently now sharing, showing a white house to the left, a garage in front and an 'annexe' sort of building to the right. This seemed to be owned by someone I used to work with at a prior job (at least, in the dream it did) but I couldn't remember his number to text him to ask if it was alright to move in. The house/courtyard layout didn't resemble anything I know of in real life.

Then at some point Mr Zebra and I were on a train, going to visit his family, and pleasingly neither us nor any of the other passengers were wearing masks. Then someone said "the transport police are coming" and straightaway collectively the entire group of passengers groaned and we all pulled up our t-shirts to act as makeshift masks. We got off the train with me holding an envelope over my mouth/nose as we walked past the police in case he turned around and saw we didn't have masks (he was facing the other way in some 'office' near the exit of the train).

And that was about it.

Goodness, that was quite long, wasn't it?

Last night I dreamt that I was in Sloane Street (in the Knightsbridge area of London) and saw that a side street had been roped off by police tape.

I asked strangers what was happening, and they told me that Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, had been found dead in a car parked in the side street, about 150 yards south of Harvey Nicholls.

P.S. Can this thread be moved to the Covid section?

P.P.S. The Museum of London is collecting Covid dreams.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ndon-asks-londoners-for-covid-pandemic-dreams

Usually at this time of year I am preparing for a trip out to visit my daughter in Australia. Actually, due to other things, I wasn't going this year, so Covid can't be blamed on me not going.

However, last night I dreamed that I was flying somewhere within the Middle East. We'd got off one plane and were on our way to transfer to another. I asked someone (who was an old school friend of mine) what time it would be when we landed - for some reason I was concerned with it not being dark for our arrival. She was wearing two watches, and consulted one, telling me it would be around two pm. I was trying to work out how long it meant that the second flight would last.

Then we were being moved through corridors toward the next plane. I remember smiling at workers who were stocking the plane with food, as we embarked. At first we were climbing over brick ruins to get to the plane, and I was thinking 'this is exactly like one of those dreams, where you can't get where you are supposed to be going!' The brick ruins grew higher and eventually became an enormously high brick built viaduct which we had to cross. It was very narrow and the idea of going onto all fours to crawl across came to me, but I looked down and it was so high that I chickened out and turned around. I woke up in a dreadful panic.

Then we were being moved through corridors toward the next plane. I remember smiling at workers who were stocking the plane with food, as we embarked. At first we were climbing over brick ruins to get to the plane, and I was thinking 'this is exactly like one of those dreams, where you can't get where you are supposed to be going!' The brick ruins grew higher and eventually became an enormously high brick built viaduct which we had to cross. It was very narrow and the idea of going onto all fours to crawl across came to me, but I looked down and it was so high that I chickened out and turned around. I woke up in a dreadful panic.

@catseye, I had a dream about a year or so ago - before Covid at any rate - in which I was trying to board a cruise ship, and we had to get there through a shipyard full of obstacles to climb over and under, and gangplanks over water - a very similar principle to this. I remember thinking at the time that it was all very "Jumanji"-esque (the Rock version rather than Robin Williams!)

A survey of dream reports indicates dreamers have been shifting more toward stressful dreams indicative of mental suffering during the pandemic.
Dream Reports During the COVID-19 Pandemic Reflect Mental Suffering and Fear of Contagion

Dreaming during the Covid-19 pandemic: Computational assessment of dream reports reveals mental suffering related to fear of contagion.

The current global threat brought on by the Covid-19 pandemic has led to widespread social isolation, posing new challenges in dealing with metal suffering related to social distancing, and in quickly learning new social habits intended to prevent contagion. Neuroscience and psychology agree that dreaming helps people to cope with negative emotions and to learn from experience, but can dreaming effectively reveal mental suffering and changes in social behavior?

To address this question, we applied natural language processing tools to study 239 dream reports by 67 individuals, made either before the Covid-19 outbreak or during the months of March and April, 2020, when lockdown was imposed in Brazil following the WHO’s declaration of the pandemic. Pandemic dreams showed a higher proportion of anger and sadness words, and higher average semantic similarities to the terms “contamination” and “cleanness.” ...

FULL STORY:
https://scitechdaily.com/dream-repo...flect-mental-suffering-and-fear-of-contagion/

FULL RESEARCH PAPER (PLOS ONE):
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0242903

Last edited:
That's a very small sample size...

I dreamed of being stuck in a very crowded train that was caused by general travel chaos last night. Everyone was scared of getting covid and a pregnant woman sat next to me started having a panic attack. That was pretty much it but I know the dream lasted a long time because I kept waking up and then falling asleep back into it again. I've been a mess today.

That's a very small sample size...

I dreamed of being stuck in a very crowded train that was caused by general travel chaos last night. Everyone was scared of getting covid and a pregnant woman sat next to me started having a panic attack. That was pretty much it but I know the dream lasted a long time because I kept waking up and then falling asleep back into it again. I've been a mess today.

Avoid the news before bed and I hope you get a good night's sleep tonight. It can happen that way, one troubled night followed by deep slumber all next night.

I'd make no connection to the pandemic , but this morning I , spontaneously, had my first ever bona fide, utterly vivid, lucid dream . Everyone I talk to claims to have them a lot but I never have .

I believe I had the beginnings of one once before but there was no doubt that this time really was that thing I've always read about but never personally experienced before. I woke excited and exhilarated, not by the pedestrian content but by the sheer sensation of witnessing the muted hazy dream world becoming solid reality around me. I was somewhat panicked by this sense of this setting being real life for me now as by definition it didn't feel like a dream. Until I decided to test that I was still dreaming by willing myself to grow as tall as the ceiling and had a huge sense of relief as well as amazement when it worked. I knew then that this was a temporary dream world. I woke soon after that.

One revelation to me, which I'd never heard clarified by others before, was that being lucid didn't mean the details were more easily retained in the memory once you woke. They began to fade just as quickly. But that I had been conscious inside the dream I have no doubt.

(The only other novel observation was that the "real" world I remained aware I belonged to and wherein I understood myself to be presumably sleeping while having this dream was not in fact the "real world" at all but rather was the dream scene which had immediately preceded the lucid one. )

Another night of weird dreaming nonsense. I've been trying to keep track of whether I dream in colour and whether I read in dreams, and a few other things.

Last night's dreams were all over the place, but I was watching a county-level cricket match being played indoors in an area that included a bar and in a building that had large glass windows. Odd, though I had a similar dream recently, with cricket being played in the nave of a church, while the church was full with people. At one point last night I was wearing a wool cycling jersey in green, white and red...

In other parts of my dreams I was much younger than I am now, either at school age or where I was living in the 1990s. At school I was reading Private Eye on a small square table with the magazine perfectly lined up with the edge of the table. One of my English teachers came over dressed in dark blue surgical scrubs!

... walking through a school playground with very, very high walls as if in a courtyard and there were pupils playing football, and I thought to myself, I'll join them and play football next time I'm there.

... swimming along the Kennet and Avon Canal and it was lovely, mossy, filled with wildlife, frogs and fish and it wasn't cold! I reckon I'd survive about a minute in it these days! After a while I stopped at a building at the water's edge and read a book while I was still in the water; it was illustrated with wildlife picture sort of in the style of Gary Larson!

... it was getting dark so rather than swim back I decided to walk/run along the towpath; my bike light/torch was failing and in taking it apart I found it had a tiny battery and cog wheels (no wonder it didn't work!); on the towpath a teacher was trying to round up some unruly kids, and I hauled up a very young child by his collar – he was about 2-3-years old and I was worried he'd fall in the canal...

... in the North-East at a railway station. I've got my bike, there's a stationary coal train to my right with a Diesel engine at the front. Up ahead there's another coal train being pulled by a steam engine that had a large flywheel spinning on its side, above the driving wheels.

Hey ho. Pull the bones out of that load of nonsense, Sigmund!

Last edited:
I actually dreamed a proper Covid-related dream the other morning where I was in a shop waiting for the rest of the family, and some random stranger turned round and deliberately coughed on me. How very unkind of him.

I actually dreamed a proper Covid-related dream the other morning where I was in a shop waiting for the rest of the family, and some random stranger turned round and deliberately coughed on me. How very unkind of him.
I do find that I'm dreaming about mask wearing and social distancing at present, or people not social distancing.

Back