• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

More Vivid Dreaming During The COVID-19 Pandemic

I’ve mentioned this before but this may be an ideal time to repost.
Donkey’s years ago there was a magazine called Omni. I remember picking a few up and got interested in a particular subject written in a series of letters (what we’d now call a thread) about the Omni Flying Club. Dream experimentalists would use lucid dreaming to guide their actions to progressively run across landscapes getting faster and faster, jump for further distances and then learn to fly in their dreams. I have flying dreams myself, but it’s more like a levitation than flying. In a dream, I seem to start sinking to the ground after a little bit but bouncing of a building gets me going again. Those are the best dreams.

I’ve mentioned this before but this may be an ideal time to repost.
Donkey’s years ago there was a magazine called Omni. I remember picking a few up and got interested in a particular subject written in a series of letters (what we’d now call a thread) about the Omni Flying Club. Dream experimentalists would use lucid dreaming to guide their actions to progressively run across landscapes getting faster and faster, jump for further distances and then learn to fly in their dreams. I have flying dreams myself, but it’s more like a levitation than flying. In a dream, I seem to start sinking to the ground after a little bit but bouncing of a building gets me going again. Those are the best dreams.
Omni - I loved that magazine.

I looked at a set of models on a workbench; one was a truly realistic model of a large ominous insecty thing, part centipede, part scorpion, black, coiled and still, about fourteen inches long. I was taken aback when my guide said "That's not a model. don't wake it up. Seriously. Don't wake it up."

Aha now, apparently dreams of insects are becoming more prevalent because of the pandemic:
(From the Guardian) -

Our pandemic subconscious: why we seem to be dreaming much more – and often of insects

This is explained by Dr Deirdre Barrett, clinical and evolutionary psychologist at Harvard Medical School.
Our dreams express our fears about something we know is dangerous but can't visualise.

Without singular images to focus on in dreamworld, we plug in our own visual metaphors.
When Barrett analysed dreams after the 1995 sarin gas attack on the Tokyo subway, she found that people reported “lots of monsters and invisible assailants rather than actual gas attacks”.
Some dreams she has collected during the current pandemic are literal – “people are having trouble breathing or spiking a fever” – but many are abstract. After all, we know coronavirus is there, but we can’t see it.
“There are earthquakes, tidal waves and tornadoes; every kind of uncontrollable disaster. But the biggest dream cluster is bugs; flying bugs attacking the dreamer, cockroaches swarming, masses of squirming worms.

Last edited:
This article seems to have all the factuality of a new skin cream ad but without the anchorage of the dubious statistics.

Last nights dream had a definite inner logic to the point that it was a good 10-15 minutes before I realised I did not need to take my "Big scissors" round to Gills.
Gill is a very gifted crafter, I dreamed she and another friend ( who is a bit of whizz with numbers and data) were making a 3D cushion/map of UK so we could look at variance in Male Pattern baldness to see if there was a correlation with C19 infection rates.

My role was to help cut the hessian which was really slippery in several pieces which needed to be joined along proper boundries. Our scissors kept dissapearing and the cutting marks wandering about. I was also designing the little icons for various types of baldness but various unknown baldies kept interfering. ( the whole thing ended up looking like a weather map with heads rather than clouds or suns)

I am having and remembering more vivid dreams than ever before, the best ones happen if I take an afternoon nap and seem to last hours, even though I'm only asleep for 40 mins or so. I had my best dream ever a couple of days ago, in it I went for a walk to get some exercise and took my full grown Bengal Tiger with me on a lead, I walked past some flats I used to live near years ago and the Tiger saw a group of people and started trying to get his collar off, so I wrestled with him to stop him getting away ( I could feel the softness of his fur - amazing ), after that I thought maybe its best to take him back to my car where I had a bit of trouble getting him in. After shutting him in the car I continued walking and ended back outside the flats, while there I saw an old friend I haven't seen or even thought about in over 20 years, while talking a police car turned up, the passenger leaned out the window and asked us if we had seen a Tiger walking around, this we denied but made me worry the Tiger had got out of the car, so when they drove off I hurried back to the car to find the Tiger waiting for me. I managed to get him back inside and drove home, with a hat and dark glasses on him so no one would notice. The dream went a bit strange after that but when I woke up I was very sad to realise I didn't own a Bengal Tiger. I'm hoping to have more dreams involving Tigers.

I am having and remembering more vivid dreams than ever before, the best ones happen if I take an afternoon nap and seem to last hours, even though I'm only asleep for 40 mins or so. I had my best dream ever a couple of days ago, in it I went for a walk to get some exercise and took my full grown Bengal Tiger with me on a lead, I walked past some flats I used to live near years ago and the Tiger saw a group of people and started trying to get his collar off, so I wrestled with him to stop him getting away ( I could feel the softness of his fur - amazing ), after that I thought maybe its best to take him back to my car where I had a bit of trouble getting him in. After shutting him in the car I continued walking and ended back outside the flats, while there I saw an old friend I haven't seen or even thought about in over 20 years, while talking a police car turned up, the passenger leaned out the window and asked us if we had seen a Tiger walking around, this we denied but made me worry the Tiger had got out of the car, so when they drove off I hurried back to the car to find the Tiger waiting for me. I managed to get him back inside and drove home, with a hat and dark glasses on him so no one would notice. The dream went a bit strange after that but when I woke up I was very sad to realise I didn't own a Bengal Tiger. I'm hoping to have more dreams involving Tigers.
Zo. Vould you like to lie back on ze chaise longue and tell us more about your archetypal animal alter-ego?

I remember two dreams from last night (which is two more than usual) and both were heavy on the anxiety. In the first I had to get to a seminar before 9 am, no problem as I've never been late before - distracted on the way to the bus, missed the bus, got another bus but left my bag on it. Retrieved the bag, entered the building (now 9:02 am), I know my tutor is being assessed by a Supervisor so students turning up late for class won't look good for him. Lift out of action, corridor diversion, now in the wrong building (9:30 am) ...
In the second dream I'm a bus/coach driver, I start her up and whilst faffing around making my seat comfortable, I look up and see the bus is rolling backward downhill. Foot hard on the brake but hardly slowing, handbrake on but makes no difference, try to select first gear and engine brake but gears won't engage. I'm trying to steer by the rear view mirror and I know I must hit something any ... second... now.
Oh and some twat left his bag behind.

. . . making a 3D cushion/map of UK so we could look at variance in Male Pattern baldness to see if there was a correlation with C19 infection rates.
Classic dream weirdness!

I remember two dreams from last night (which is two more than usual) and both were heavy on the anxiety. In the first I had to get to a seminar before 9 am, no problem as I've never been late before - distracted on the way to the bus, missed the bus, got another bus but left my bag on it. Retrieved the bag, entered the building (now 9:02 am), I know my tutor is being assessed by a Supervisor so students turning up late for class won't look good for him. Lift out of action, corridor diversion, now in the wrong building (9:30 am) ...
In the second dream I'm a bus/coach driver, I start her up and whilst faffing around making my seat comfortable, I look up and see the bus is rolling backward downhill. Foot hard on the brake but hardly slowing, handbrake on but makes no difference, try to select first gear and engine brake but gears won't engage. I'm trying to steer by the rear view mirror and I know I must hit something any ... second... now.
Oh and some twat left his bag behind.

You may appreciate ‘Something’s Gong Wrong Again’.

Last night I dreamed a good friend was driving my car whilst I sat in the passenger seat. She deliberately poured a cup of coffee over my lap. I was furious and told her that my seat would be wet for ages now and the car would smell of coffee, to which she just said 'no it won't, so I poured coffee over the driver's seat to show her how horrible it was sitting on a wet seat.

We'd previously been walking through the snow in those stupid slippers they give you in spas.

And no, I didn't wake up to find I'd peed the bed!

Last night I dreamed a good friend was driving my car whilst I sat in the passenger seat. She deliberately poured a cup of coffee over my lap. I was furious and told her that my seat would be wet for ages now and the car would smell of coffee, to which she just said 'no it won't, so I poured coffee over the driver's seat to show her how horrible it was sitting on a wet seat.

We'd previously been walking through the snow in those stupid slippers they give you in spas.

And no, I didn't wake up to find I'd peed the bed!
Did you wake up and smell the coffee?

I'm seriously missing my cricket.
Should have played 4 or 5 matches by now and that has clearly been on my thoughts, as it has permeated into my dreams.
At least these are more pleasant dreams than the waking nightmares I also get sporadically.

Last night in my dream I went out to bat and was facing one of those awkward, left-arm-around bowlers.
I asked the umpire for an unusual guard (middle and off), as I was hoping to pull any sloppy balls to the deep square leg boundary.
But, the ground was like quicksand and, when I tried to mark my guard, I ended up digging a sort of flooded trench.
This made it impossible for me to wield my bat properly and, sure enough, I was clean bowled.
As I stomped off, I suddenly realised I was no longer on the cricket pitch, but was in a huge pub, complete with fruit machines, a juke box and hand-pumped real ale.
I woke up soon after, with a profound longing for draft ale and cricket.

I'm seriously missing my cricket.
Should have played 4 or 5 matches by now and that has clearly been on my thoughts, as it has permeated into my dreams.
At least these are more pleasant dreams than the waking nightmares I also get sporadically.

Last night in my dream I went out to bat and was facing one of those awkward, left-arm-around bowlers.
I asked the umpire for an unusual guard (middle and off), as I was hoping to pull any sloppy balls to the deep square leg boundary.
But, the ground was like quicksand and, when I tried to mark my guard, I ended up digging a sort of flooded trench.
This made it impossible for me to wield my bat properly and, sure enough, I was clean bowled.
As I stomped off, I suddenly realised I was no longer on the cricket pitch, but was in a huge pub, complete with fruit machines, a juke box and hand-pumped real ale.
I woke up soon after, with a profound longing for draft ale and cricket.
Sounds traumatic even though the only technical term I understood was 'beer'.

Sounds traumatic even though the only technical term I understood was 'beer'.
slide20.jpg

My dream early this morning had me involved in a cigarette smuggling scheme with Christopher from The Sopranos. I blame watching the show before bed.

Masses of squirming worms?!!? :willy:
I have three wormeries and love my wormies. That dream would be great not a nightmare at all! No better sight. Apart from chocolate. Or booze.

ETA: I suppose it was a nightmare last night. I dreamt I gave birth. Not madly painful but not entirely fun. Have had five babies - the last nearly 18 years ago - and have never before had this dream!

Back