• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

More Vivid Dreaming During The COVID-19 Pandemic

To be honest, Scargy, I think it's just that I spend a lot of my working life staring at crisps. My till is right opposite the confectionary and crisps aisle and more of my time that is reasonable is spent lining in crisps and restocking that section!

To reassure you, a rekindled relationship wouldn't be bad for me, as such. Although you are right, I am independant, own home and income etc. This chap isn't unkind or unpleasant and may, to others, look good for me.

He's just so bloody boring...
Heh, the crisps, I was spot-on then! They represent work.

FWIW, here's how I'd parse it ...

"Boring" can work, but IMHO it won't work - or, more to the point, won't work well enough - for you and you know it. (I sensed this before seeing your follow-on comments, based on the apparent symbolism in the dream.)

The futile tile-wiping and swimming along with ex-husband and son was a metaphorical vision of the past as you see it.

The crisps were indicative of your current single life and the everyday routine(s) involved. It may be mundane, but it's a reliable reference point with which you're comfortable (hence your using it to calm yourself).

You were a passive player in the pool scenario with little control or chance of reaching a stopping point until / unless you declared an end to it. You'd exited the scenario by way of giving up.

I think your reflections while staring at the crisps were actually indirect references to the ex-partner rather than the ex-husband, or perhaps more accurately the category of persons to which they both belong.

The figure of the ex-husband was already in the scene, and for the sake of in-dream continuity you'd simply adopted him as a metaphor / surrogate for the ex-partner. This juxtaposition of two IRL persons was feasible because you weren't really addressing either man individually in terms of IRL identity, but rather the more general figure of "a man in my life."

You'd rather deal with the crisps (i.e., your current single life) on your own terms than to "get back in the pool" and be to some extent at the mercy of the waters you'd be re-entering.

The open issue is whether this preference is a result of fear (of commitment; of change) or committed belief.

I think the waters also had an element of 'powerlessness', you know, swept along in the current kind of thing.

I will not be reconciling with anyone though. Ex partner would love to, but I did eight years of his fussy eating, peculiar habits, pernickity routine-led dullness. Kind and sweet is good, but it's no longer enough for me! On with the nipple tassles and unicycle!*

*Not necessarily, but you get my point.

Hmmmm, dreams are damned weird aren’t they? I have a couple of recurring themes....the first is where I’m late for some kind of appointment such as an aircraft check in and I keep getting side tracked by trivial things.....the second common one is where I’m naked in public! I’m quite aware that I’m in the nude but I only become disconcerted by it as the dream goes on......I actually quite enjoy those dreams for some reason! There’s a third type of dream, which I don’t have very often unfortunately, where I have an overwhelming feeling of love (not randiness).....generally for some random tv personality, the last one being for some bint off Eastenders (I don’t even watch Eastenders) If that is what users of ecstasy experience then I can understand why they take it.......I’m not condoning its use but I can possibly understand it! Dreams....weird!!

Hmmmm, dreams are damned weird aren’t they? I have a couple of recurring themes....the first is where I’m late for some kind of appointment such as an aircraft check in and I keep getting side tracked by trivial things.....the second common one is where I’m naked in public! I’m quite aware that I’m in the nude but I only become disconcerted by it as the dream goes on......I actually quite enjoy those dreams for some reason! There’s a third type of dream, which I don’t have very often unfortunately, where I have an overwhelming feeling of love (not randiness).....generally for some random tv personality, the last one being for some bint off Eastenders (I don’t even watch Eastenders) If that is what users of ecstasy experience then I can understand why they take it.......I’m not condoning its use but I can possibly understand it! Dreams....weird!!

I frequently have the late for the flight dream as well. Quite often I'm in Russia when I get involved in all sorts of delays.

We used to have threads about dreams where we'd interpret each others'. I enjoyed those.

Just remembering a dream might mean it's significant. Y'know, when your subconscious needs you to shut up and LISTEN.

Are we all dreaming more about birds?

Sooooooo, me going about my daily business in the nude whilst everyone else is fully dressed signifies what do you reckon?

Sooooooo, me going about my daily business in the nude whilst everyone else is fully dressed signifies what do you reckon?

It is very common, possibly even normal, to dream of being naked in public. It's usually explained in terms of everyday anxiety or worry about one's work or image. Nakedness is vulnerability.

I think that I just like being “au naturale”......if that’s the correct term!

In Last nights dream I was on the operating table and the surgeon asked me to count back from 10. When I got to 2 I felt myself go unconscious and my hand fall from the table. As it happened I heard him say "what the f... " and then I snapped back but he couldn't hear me and I woke up.

The other night I dreamt I was in a see through plastic box that was full of water but just enough so I could lift my face to breathe. I sank back and stared to choke and woke up!

I think there might be a theme here...

Last night I dreamt that I noticed at some point that the person I was talking to had two heads. (I can kind of imagine where this comes from, I've been trying to separate my rambling background monologue from my non-thinking 'awareness', in an effort to sort my sh*t out). But my point is, for goodness sake - how can you be so much in a dream state (literally unconscious) that you aren't shocked into lucidity or awakeness by such an obviously unlikely sight? The human mind eh. I just thought 'oh, right, ok'.

Last night I dreamt that I noticed at some point that the person I was talking to had two heads. (I can kind of imagine where this comes from, I've been trying to separate my rambling background monologue from my non-thinking 'awareness', in an effort to sort my sh*t out). But my point is, for goodness sake - how can you be so much in a dream state (literally unconscious) that you aren't shocked into lucidity or awakeness by such an obviously unlikely sight? The human mind eh. I just thought 'oh, right, ok'.

It's because the dream is symbolic of something else. The subconscious is in control so your disbelief is suspended, as when you're watching any form of drama.

When your favourite TV show comes on you don't say 'Oh 'old on, these people on the screen are just acting! They're snogging away when I bet they don't even LIKE each other really!'
You allow yourself to believe the story and enjoy the situation.

That's very interesting, the suspension of disbelief, I'd not thought of it like that.

So Escargot, does that mean dreaming has a purpose? That it's there to send useful ideas to the conscious mind? It's not just a muddle of all the things you've done during the day? I mean that's quite a persuasive thought. But in that case, why don't we remember our dreams better? Most of the time I wake up and pfff it's gone in a flash, although it was crystal clear half a second before. That would be more use if it were a Helpful Suggestion. Why wouldn't my murky subconscious want to share its epiphanies with the conscious bit of me?
(It's all right I don't really expect The Answer, I guess nobody really knows :)

(I'm very good I think at believing films and tv. I get entirely drawn in. Perhaps most people do?)

Epona, in my dream my brain was forcing me to concentrate on those bloody crisps so hard, as though it was trying to tell me 'this is important, remember this'. I have to conclude, as Scargy says above, that these crisps were representative of something and my mind was trying to tell me something. Through the medium of Monster Munch, which is a first.

Epona, in my dream my brain was forcing me to concentrate on those bloody crisps so hard, as though it was trying to tell me 'this is important, remember this'. I have to conclude, as Scargy says above, that these crisps were representative of something and my mind was trying to tell me something. Through the medium of Monster Munch, which is a first.

That's how the subconscious is. It sometimes rubs the symbolism in our faces!

So the crisps (I think, though it's not my dream; but sometimes it's more obvious to someone else!) represent your work. As you've mentioned, it's what you see all day. Maybe when your mind wanders you find yourself staring at them? I dunno.

Can't find the post now but a while ago I mentioned on one of the dream threads that my subconscious was so sick of my shit over some situation or other that it directly ordered me to sort it out.
No symbolism or pussyfooting around, just 'Do this NOW and get it over with!'
I did as I was told.

That's very interesting, the suspension of disbelief, I'd not thought of it like that.

So Escargot, does that mean dreaming has a purpose? That it's there to send useful ideas to the conscious mind? It's not just a muddle of all the things you've done during the day? I mean that's quite a persuasive thought. But in that case, why don't we remember our dreams better? Most of the time I wake up and pfff it's gone in a flash, although it was crystal clear half a second before. That would be more use if it were a Helpful Suggestion. Why wouldn't my murky subconscious want to share its epiphanies with the conscious bit of me?
(It's all right I don't really expect The Answer, I guess nobody really knows :)

(I'm very good I think at believing films and tv. I get entirely drawn in. Perhaps most people do?)

Ah now, Dream Theory is a thing and there are many strands to it. Fascinating to read about!

(I once bought a book about to which my sister coveted, and then saw the same one in better condition in a charity shop which I immediately purchased and posted to her. We'd analyse each other. Disturbing.)

For example, both Jung and Freud believed dreams to be messages from the subconscious. As the subconscious is a murky place, full of unspeakable attitudes and desires, we have be shown the messages through symbolism.

There is discussion about whether there is a set of universal symbolism that everyone has, or if it is more personal. I tend towards the 'personal' symbolism but that's just me.

Also, all our dreams might be about ourselves. So that weedy plant I dream of suddenly seeing in my garden, is that really my feeling of shame about my lack of fitness or out of date clothing?

In dreams, real-life situations can be reversed as a way of showing us how much trouble they're causing us. So we might dream of fancying someone at work whom we actually despise. Our subconscious is telling us that we're getting as dangerously obsessed with them as if we WERE in love with them!

This is why I say about other people's dreams 'If I dreamed that it might represent...' because I don't know what it means to them.
Sometimes though the meaning is clearer to someone else.

I keep having dreams in which I discover I have no shoes on or someone has stolen my shoes - In all sorts of different situations and places. I guess it must be a lesson on being too attached to material things..or I need new shoes..

I occasionally have dreams about walking barefoot in public. I never go barefoot, either outdoors or indoors, and am in fact put off by the thought of it. I would guess that those dreams reveal a fear of vulnerability.

I think the teeth one is another manefestation of anxiety. Some say it represents a fear of loss of youth or attractiveness, but I never had any of that in the first place. Attractiveness, I mean. I had youth, once. Ah, it was a Saturday afternoon, as I recall...

Never had the 'walking barefoot' dream, but then I go barefoot in real life a lot.

What is it with this teeth thing? Perhaps grinding teeth at night precipitates the dream?

An interesting thought, but I was a teeth grinder as a child, and I can only remember one specific instance of a dream where my teeth fell out - and there were no spaces in my mouth for the teeth to have come from. Considering how crap my teeth actually are, I'm surprised I don't dream about this more frequently.

I go barefoot in real life a lot.

Catseye, I too am a barefoot contessa.

I had a very vivid dream early this morning. The ambiance stuck with me all day. I was a guest of an enormously wealthy aristocratic woman who was gray haired and tiny, but energetic. Her home was a palatial building furnished with sumptuous drapes, carpets and elegant chairs and sofas. The interior was airy and bright, and the grounds were park like. It was like an enormous and ancient family estate, surrounded by a wall so it was very private. There were other guests in the background, and a butler or someone like that who I noticed more than the others. Nothing much happened, I was just there, enjoying the beauty of it.

My dreams never occur in such places, and I don't watch movies of super rich people and sigh, "oh! If only I were rich!" Life is so much simpler on a modest scale.

My hostess had been traveling on business, and returned. Her two dogs, some kind of special long haired, short legged breed larger than dachshunds, and particular to her ancestors, greeted her warmly. I was impressed by their large brown eyes, which glowed with adoration for her. When they left the room I was staying in, I started getting the heebie-jeebies really bad. I realized I hadn't seen any of the other guests for awhile, and had no idea where they'd gone. Everything looked beautiful and wonderful, but I knew there was something really evil afoot. The atmosphere felt like the horror movies Christoper Lee starred in, only worse. It felt like my hostess was worse than a vampire, serial killer and mad scientist combined. To give myself space to think about what to do to save myself, but without arousing her suspicions, I lowered a huge silk blind with a cloth of gold border along the top. (I tell you this was an extremely vivid dream!) I started sensing the other guests, who were no longer there. I heard the voice of the one I had seen most recently, a young blond woman. The voice said, "I used to be a school teacher . . . "

I had a very vivid dream early this morning. The ambiance stuck with me all day. I was a guest of an enormously wealthy aristocratic woman who was gray haired and tiny, but energetic. Her home was a palatial building furnished with sumptuous drapes, carpets and elegant chairs and sofas. The interior was airy and bright, and the grounds were park like. It was like an enormous and ancient family estate, surrounded by a wall so it was very private. There were other guests in the background, and a butler or someone like that who I noticed more than the others. Nothing much happened, I was just there, enjoying the beauty of it.

My dreams never occur in such places, and I don't watch movies of super rich people and sigh, "oh! If only I were rich!" Life is so much simpler on a modest scale.

My hostess had been traveling on business, and returned. Her two dogs, some kind of special long haired, short legged breed larger than dachshunds, and particular to her ancestors, greeted her warmly. I was impressed by their large brown eyes, which glowed with adoration for her. When they left the room I was staying in, I started getting the heebie-jeebies really bad. I realized I hadn't seen any of the other guests for awhile, and had no idea where they'd gone. Everything looked beautiful and wonderful, but I knew there was something really evil afoot. The atmosphere felt like the horror movies Christoper Lee starred in, only worse. It felt like my hostess was worse than a vampire, serial killer and mad scientist combined. To give myself space to think about what to do to save myself, but without arousing her suspicions, I lowered a huge silk blind with a cloth of gold border along the top. (I tell you this was an extremely vivid dream!) I started sensing the other guests, who were no longer there. I heard the voice of the one I had seen most recently, a young blond woman. The voice said, "I used to be a school teacher . . . "
That's a weird dream. Do you by any chance enjoy visiting country houses, National trust properties and the like?

I dreamed that I had gone back to the part of Exeter I used to live in to pick up a motorbike I used to own. I remember walking past the next road down to where I lived, past the house of a friend which I know (IRL and in the dream) belongs to her brother. I half wanted to pop in and say hello but didn't know if we would even recognise each other after so many years. Then I'd picked up the bike and was in a car park, with two young men, one was sitting in his car looking at me out of the driver's window, and holding a black and white cat. I was trying to kick start the bike, but it wouldn't catch. Instead, the engine made a sort of electric tinkling noise and I burst into song, singing 'Now love, love, it don't come easy...' and then most of the way through the first verse and chorus of 'You Can't Hurry Love'. Everyone in the car park joined in, and we were having a great time singing along together.

Very very odd.

And last night I dreamed I was walking through crowded city streets, with one of my children (I'm not sure which one, youngest daughter, I think). I wanted to buy chips, kept seeing people eating chips covered in salt and my mouth was watering. She wouldn't let me buy any, as they were 20 euros a bag (I'm in the UK, never use euros...) and I need the money to buy school uniform (my kids all left school ten years ago or more).

We eventually find ourselves in a shop and I decide to buy something to eat. It was full of coconut products, coconut cream in tins, coconut ice cream, coconut hair products. We are served by a lovely, smiley assistant and informed that all the products are from Surinam. I told the assistant that my best friend is from Surinam (she isn't), and the girl grinned and said 'I'm from Canterbury.'

I have no connections to Surinam or Canterbury (and I'm not even sure where Surinam is..)

I've googled it. It's Suriname now,

That's a weird dream. Do you by any chance enjoy visiting country houses, National trust properties and the like?
No. I like going to museums for the art and the history, but I don't even like staying at fancy hotels, much less going through fancy houses to gawk at the fancy furnishings.

Back