• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

More Vivid Dreaming During The COVID-19 Pandemic

Weird, weird dreams again last night – all with a similar theme of having unwelcome things in my mouth (no sniggering!).

In one I was drinking a mug of tea when I felt a tiny lump on the rim of the mug. I pulled at it with my teeth and it was a large clump of human hair, which appeared to be used in the construction of the mug. Eeek.

Next, I spat out three or four small white shells the size of human teeth. Eeek again.

Then, I had some chewing gum in my mouth (I haven't chewed gum for decades; I used to before I played football – always disposing of used gum properly, of course) and when I tried to take it out there was loads of it, a foot or so in quite large clumps. EEEEK!

And lastly, I expelled a large spider's web from my mouth, a cross between a real web and a comedy halloween web, but over a foot in diameter.

I don't feel especially stressed at the moment, and certainly not in one of my bouts of depression or anxiety, but something's going on in my brain when I'm asleep!!

Weird, weird dreams again last night – all with a similar theme of having unwelcome things in my mouth (no sniggering!).

In one I was drinking a mug of tea when I felt a tiny lump on the rim of the mug. I pulled at it with my teeth and it was a large clump of human hair, which appeared to be used in the construction of the mug. Eeek.

Next, I spat out three or four small white shells the size of human teeth. Eeek again.

Then, I had some chewing gum in my mouth (I haven't chewed gum for decades; I used to before I played football – always disposing of used gum properly, of course) and when I tried to take it out there was loads of it, a foot or so in quite large clumps. EEEEK!

And lastly, I expelled a large spider's web from my mouth, a cross between a real web and a comedy halloween web, but over a foot in diameter.

I don't feel especially stressed at the moment, and certainly not in one of my bouts of depression or anxiety, but something's going on in my brain when I'm asleep!!
Particularly good one last night. (This is all in the dream, not real) For some reason was going to Bradford and stopped at an 'indian' restaurant outside. There was a party of us, like a group going on an outing to a museum or something. None of us could understand anything on the menu. Eventually after members of our party had struggled to communicate with the waiters to find out what any of the menu items indicated I pointed at something at something that someone not known to us which appeared to be be a plate largely of meat.

When it turned up it was - beautiful grilled meats including a steak, bacon, lamb chops - like the ultimate grilled breakfast on a bed of noodles. I'm still feeling full now. Woke up after that.

Of course it makes no logical sense, but I wouldn't mind a repeat tonight.

I've had two ghastly dreams recently. One where I was in some sort of modern gladiatorial competition where I had to kill or be killed (I despatched about 5 people quite vividly, and there was one burly chap left when I woke up, I didn't know how I was going to beat him) and then another where people with crowbars were invading the house and I had to run off; I phoned the police but just got a long answerphone message, which was as you can imagine quite disappointing.

I'd definitely prefer a nice dream like yours, Cochise (mine would be the vegetarian version though). I don't think I get dreams involving eating very often? (it's all murder and peril these days hah).

A couple of nights ago I had a dream so vivid that I was on the verge of lucidity.

I dreamed that I was coming down the stairs in my cottage. It was just dawn, I could see the bright orange and red streaks in the sky and the sun rising and so I knew it was early. I couldn't quite fathom why I was up so early. I went into the kitchen to make myself a cup of tea, only to see my work colleage's wife sitting at my worksurface, doing paperwork. They used to live in the house next door to where I live now when I lived at the other end of the village, so I wasn't totally astonished to see her in there. I asked how she got in and she said she'd kept a key.

Now, this was all so improbable that I squeezed my hands together, saying 'this has got to be a dream!'. It hurt, so I was reassured it was real.

That's all that happened, but, seriously? I even KNEW it was a dream and managed to talk myself out of it!

I had a bad one a few nights ago. I was attacked by a man with an L-shaped head. I mean part of his head was missing, so what was left formed something like a capital L. Also his left arm ended at the elbow, but in his surviving hand he had a bloody great knife, with which he tried to skewer me while screaming and roaring something rotten.
I write novels (nothing published yet) and in one of them there is a character called Lance-Corporal Stoddart who has an L-shaped head! It was a horrendous injury suffered in World War 1, and he also was missing part of his left arm. So maybe I've been attacked by one of my own characters! I can't really blame him for being angry with me.

I don't know how I've missed this thread until now.

But yes, both myself and MrsCarlos have had consistently crazy vivid dreams for months now.

My theory is that because we're working from home, the morning routine is less stressful and time-sensitive so we're having much deeper sleeps. Not half-expecting the alarm to go off at any second to signal the daily mad panic to get to the office on time.

The alarm still goes off, but frankly if I'm still in my dressing gown and unshowered when I first log on then it really doesn't matter to anyone.

So I reckon I'm just sleeping better.

I had a bad one a few nights ago. I was attacked by a man with an L-shaped head. I mean part of his head was missing, so what was left formed something like a capital L. Also his left arm ended at the elbow, but in his surviving hand he had a bloody great knife, with which he tried to skewer me while screaming and roaring something rotten.
I write novels (nothing published yet) and in one of them there is a character called Lance-Corporal Stoddart who has an L-shaped head! It was a horrendous injury suffered in World War 1, and he also was missing part of his left arm. So maybe I've been attacked by one of my own characters! I can't really blame him for being angry with me.
baby-energy-drinks-father-crop.jpg

I had a dream which directly referenced covid this morning. It was a few years in the future and much the same as now but the world had fewer people in it instead of more. It was quiet out and I missed everyone.

I did not like this dream.

I don't know how I've missed this thread until now.

But yes, both myself and MrsCarlos have had consistently crazy vivid dreams for months now.

My theory is that because we're working from home, the morning routine is less stressful and time-sensitive so we're having much deeper sleeps. Not half-expecting the alarm to go off at any second to signal the daily mad panic to get to the office on time.

The alarm still goes off, but frankly if I'm still in my dressing gown and unshowered when I first log on then it really doesn't matter to anyone.

So I reckon I'm just sleeping better.

This is being given as a reason that many people are having more, and clearer, dreams.

But it doesn't apply in my case. My work routine hasn't changed at all - front line worker during lockdown, carried on working, no furlough, no WFH in my job. The only thing I have in common with others is that, because I work a late shift and therefore don't start until mid afternoon, I never have to be woken by an alarm and can sleep in as much as I need. But that's always been the case in this job, and yet I am having the 'more vivid dreaming during Covid' of the title.... odd.

Oh yes, and last night's dream.

I was convinced there was someone in the house, moving about downstairs. I could hear the windows rattle as doors were opened and closed, as if someone (or something) heavy was moving about. I then heard (still in my dream) someone open the door of the spare room and go downstairs and I thought 'oh, it's Will (my second son) going to find out what all the noise is about.'

I live alone, in a little, but yet unrattly, cottage. When awake, the only sounds I can hear if someone else is in the house, is the movement of the floorboards in the spare room, which ajoins mine.

I woke up from the dream still convinced someone had managed to get into the house without disturbing my hair-trigger dog. So I went down and had a wander about in case something had blown open or was making a lot of noise. There was nothing. It wasn't even a windy night.

My only conclusion is that dog was asleep outside my bedroom door and may have been dreaming, with the concomittent twitching of paws, and that has echoed on the landing floorboards and made me think someone else was in the house? It was very clear, and I really didn't realise I was asleep and dreaming that I was awake! That's the second 'house invasion' dream this week...

We've got a new bed and I'm not used to it yet. It's a bit hard so I am waking up a couple of times.

Last night I dreamt I had to get my friend from work and we had to go to a conference. We were joking that conference hall always have futristic foyers or corridors. The we were in a car and they had recorded me talking in my sleep and laughing at what I was saying. The video they were watching was in black and white.

Then we were in a room that looked empty with dust and a few bricks on the floor. There was a knock at the door. I looked through the window by the door and it was a man dressed in a blue top and baseball cap. He looked a bit like a someone you would see as a stereotypical American sitting on the porch in a film. He saw me and I tried to hide. I was trying to say "don't let him in" but I couldn't get the words out. But he waked around the corner and these of the panes of glass in the windows were broken. So he spat through the glass not just a spit, a stream ! My friend asked how he was managing to project so much , then he was suddenly in the room. I screamed then woke up! To find the dog had peed in the kitchen again !!!

Well,

The good news is toilet paper and peanut butter is more available.

But my dreams have been more bizarre.

The normal dreams like I am lost, and I am naked in public have been replaced by my dead family members coming to visit me.

This is freaking me out a little, and is not normal for me.

Anyone have an opinion to why this happening?

The normal dreams like I am lost, and I am naked in public have been replaced by my dead family members coming to visit me.

It's not uncommon to dream about departed friends and family members - particularly if there's some sense of 'unfinished business' and / or you're anxious or stressed.

We have an extensive thread on people's reports and thoughts about dreaming of the dead:

Dreaming Of The Dead
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/dreaming-of-the-dead.53692/

... where you can review others' similar dream experiences and speculations about their possible causes.

Well,

The good news is toilet paper and peanut butter is more available.

But my dreams have been more bizarre.

I often dream of a certain friend (who is very much alive) when I am stressed and the setting is always my university town even if the geography is very different.

Last night I dreamed I was walking a spaniel. (My dog is not a spaniel). We were walking along a ridgeway, and the dog was investigating some stables and a yard we were passing. I whistled for the dog and called her - her name was, apparently, Sal.

Then I found myself on a sea front, being asked to take photos of a couple who were walking on the sand. It was quite crowded, and the person getting me to take the photos told me 'it's the couple with the headphones.' I pointed an old-fashioned camera at the people I thought, and the other person leaned over me and began using my hand to press the shutter. The shutter had a very 'soft' action, but I could hear the click and feel the camera in my hand.

Ok. I am so old I rarely dream, or at least I never usually remember them but there was a vivid nightmare a few nights ago that’s stuck.

I lost my car and my dad and some random girl offered to help me find it. I trudged through the streets pinging the key fob in the hope I’d see the lights go off somewhere. Suddenly my attention was distracted by a tie, still looped as it would have been worn by the owner drift to the ground. I looked up in the sky to see a bunch of tornados heading towards us. Then, I see what is controlling those tornadoes. A giant hand. A Djinn which is only visible from the waist up and a giant raptor. All monochromatic. We ran down the street to find shelter as the storm blew in with icy coldness. As we progressed, I found my car and attached to it, the frozen body of a young girl frozen in mid air while desperately clinging on to the door handle. At that point, the raptor came down and the huge talons gripped around me and slowly closed the grip. It was a horrible feeling and that was the point I ejected from the dream.

Ok. I am so old I rarely dream, or at least I never usually remember them but there was a vivid nightmare a few nights ago that’s stuck.

I lost my car and my dad and some random girl offered to help me find it. I trudged through the streets pinging the key fob in the hope I’d see the lights go off somewhere. Suddenly my attention was distracted by a tie, still looped as it would have been worn by the owner drift to the ground. I looked up in the sky to see a bunch of tornados heading towards us. Then, I see what is controlling those tornadoes. A giant hand. A Djinn which is only visible from the waist up and a giant raptor. All monochromatic. We ran down the street to find shelter as the storm blew in with icy coldness. As we progressed, I found my car and attached to it, the frozen body of a young girl frozen in mid air while desperately clinging on to the door handle. At that point, the raptor came down and the huge talons gripped around me and slowly closed the grip. It was a horrible feeling and that was the point I ejected from the dream.
At least some random girl offered to help you. Look on the positive side.

Two more nights of weird and vivid dreams:

The night before last I dreamt I was in Birmingham (I live in Bath) and spent most of the dream running from collapsing buildings, large glass, brick and stone skyscraper-sized structures. Loads of them were collapsing and I was continually running to try to find cover. As with my other recent dreams this would at least suggest a level of anxiety that I'm not feeling in real life!

Last night's dream was just plain odd, but it had a feature of other dreams I've had, that I don't know whether other people also experience – that of returning to people and places that I've only ever met or been to in dreams, never in real life, sometimes in dreams separated by years. And last night's was one.

It started with me going into a courtyard, where I was meeting someone to buy something illegal I'd ordered online (not drugs, though I can't remember what it was). On the right was a small glass-fronted shop. I went in and explained that I was there to buy something and got short short shrift from the occupant, an old, grizzled, gnarled bloke like something from a fairytale, and he tried to throw his drink at me.

I left and walked further on in to the courtyard where, to the left was a grand, very wide and luxurious black-and-white stairway or ramp that descended into a large and very opulent room. Not only had I been to this room in a dream years ago but I was met there by a very tall man, smoking (as was somebody else) and with a thick black beard. I was expected, we chatted and there was a table with a piece of paper on it – with my name and showing that I had reserved the table. Though the piece of paper itself was crumpled and was out of keeping with the opulence elsewhere.

Looks like my brain is really working hard at night. No wonder I'm tired!

I left and walked further on in to the courtyard where, to the left was a grand, very wide and luxurious black-and-white stairway or ramp that descended into a large and very opulent room. Not only had I been to this room in a dream years ago but I was met there by a very tall man, smoking (as was somebody else) and with a thick black beard. I was expected, we chatted and there was a table with a piece of paper on it – with my name and showing that I had reserved the table. Though the piece of paper itself was crumpled and was out of keeping with the opulence elsewhere.

Looks like my brain is really working hard at night. No wonder I'm tired!
Maybe this represents a future job offer?

Last night's dream was just plain odd, but it had a feature of other dreams I've had, that I don't know whether other people also experience – that of returning to people and places that I've only ever met or been to in dreams, never in real life, sometimes in dreams separated by years.
Yes, I've had this. There was a dream version of San Francisco I used to dream about. The terrain became very familiar. There was a zoo, and an area of shops that I really enjoyed going to in my dreams. Over the years, it evolved, I learned more about it and I saw the shops and other areas improve and grow more interesting and lovelier. The last time I dreamed about it, however, my favorite shops and a Zen meditation center were being gutted in preparation for them to change business. That was about five years ago. It made me sad.
an old, grizzled, gnarled bloke like something from a fairytale, and he tried to throw his drink at me.
ROFL

A very impressive building had just been opened, with LCD bricks that could light up different colours and make patterns (variations on the Norwegian flag, for some reason). It was a huge construction, and I wondered why more buildings didn't use this effect.

I haven't had more vivid dreams, but have had several over this period of covid that are obviously related to the times.
My first dream that I recall was of my mom and sisters and I attending a gathering somewhere and me wondering why we were there as large gatherings were not allowed. This happened when much of the world first went into lockdown.

My other two dreams, with the last one being last week, now involve being in crowded places and some people not wearing masks.

The recent one had me at a subway stop in Toronto with my brothers. Lots of people and lots without masks. I couldn't figure out what train I was to take and lost my brothers while trying to navigate the area.

None of the dreams cause me great anxiety, but general worry. I don't live in a heavily populated area, but am 2 hours drive from Toronto.

Last night's dream was horrific and so vivid that I woke up doing that 'breath intake' thing and had to lie very still for a while until I realised it wasn't real.

I'd sold my house to get back together with my ex husband. We now lived in a single room. We spent the first night there, and then the next day I was arranging the furniture in the room to try to give us more space - asking him where he wanted me to put the bed, and that sort of thing. Then it slowly began to dawn on me what I'd done. I had to travel to work the next day, and took my dog with me - as we'd now moved somewhere so far from home that it would mean her being alone for hours and hours (she's left at home while I work IRL, but my commute is three minutes). I had to travel by train and change several times, and work appeared to be doing something in an office like a converted portacabin. There was nowhere to put the dog.

I dissolved into floods of tears, realising that I'd sold my lovely house, given myself a massive commute which meant I'd no longer be able to keep my dog, and all for a man I KNEW would change his mind and leave me again. I was crouching down in my 'office' hugging my dog and absolutely sobbing. I remember shouting at him that he was going to leave anyway and how could he let me uproot my life like this.

I was extremely glad to wake up.

I think the dream came from a lot of places - I'm currently in the middle of writing a book about a woman who's had to sell her home and move into a shared house, I was concerned about my dog as she cut her ear yesterday (running through a rose bush to try to chase the cat, sheesh) but, as far as I am concerned, I am utterly over this ex husband, and fairly unstressed generally. But it was, again, the clarity of the dream that was so distinctive, plus the emotional impact.

Not vivid inasmuch as I can't remember all the details, but last night I dreamed I was talking to my dad, I can't remember what we talked about which is a great shame because I didn't have a great relationship with him particularly in my teens and early twenties.

There was a lot left unsaid when he died which was mainly my fault. Felt a bit sort of "regretful" when I woke up

Yesterday, I dreamt that all the disorganised students, which were in greater number before the pandemic came all at once (about a dozen) at the library where I'm working and before closing time, not wearing masks. Then I woke up, fell asleep again and dreamt something more interesting...

A couple of days ago I woke up after having a mad dream, not got a clue what the dream was about but the VIVID colours were amazing. I know people say we don't dream in colour but I did. The reds and greens really stood out, like I said I've no clue what the dream was about apart from the colours. Anyone else had anything similar?

NOTE: For further discussion of dreaming in color, please go to:
Do You Dream In Colour / Color? With Or Without Sound?
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...-in-colour-color-with-or-without-sound.18368/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back