• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

More Vivid Dreaming During The COVID-19 Pandemic

I had a very involved dream last night. I dreamt that I was Joe Lycett's -who in the dream was a member of this forum under the name Big Kri-best friend and I was visiting him in hospital because he couldn't use his arms. After saving a talking cat from a savage fight, I took a wrong turn and ended u somewhere unfamiliar. It was meant to be the Isle of Man but it looked more like central Europe, there was a nice square with cafes, a church and a clothes market where I bought a lovely green silk dress for a tenner. I went to one of the cafes and saw a colleague who told me off for leaving the Isle of Man but I explained I hadn't. He then asked for 500 quid so he could show me the way to the hospital. Things start to look more familiar and I recognise a park, but there is also a shopping precinct and studios which I don't recognise, but I see another colleague who starts moaning to me about the co-op. I eventually get there but Joe has a new best friend.
Sorry that's not remotely interesting to anyone else but I felt the need to right it down.
Sometimes they just feel very complicated don't they ?!

A recurring theme in my dreams is being in a big city that I don’t recognise, then spending the entire dream trying to find my way home. It’s exhausting! It’s happening more often at the moment. I don’t understand what it means.

I've had some weird dreams in the past. Don't really like to talk about them. There's a particular group of people. If I were to ever draw them for you i would blur out the faces. You wouldn't want to know what they look like and what they can do.

Last night I dreamed I had travelled back into the past, and was in a city during WW2. I knew we were about to be bombed. I was walking down a street in a town - looking out over the roofscape from up on a hill, all the smoking chimneys (although I think the cars were modern!). Some planes flew low overhead, British planes flying out on a mission. I was with a family, mum dad and a couple of children, I think they thought I was one of their children, and Dad said what the planes were (I can't remember now). Then we started to hear explosions. A man ran out of a very large house nearby and told us to come and hide in his shelter, which was down a flight of steep mossy steps. We were all in a bed, mum and dad trying to sleep, the children all huddled under the covers.

I KNEW we were going to be near a detonation. I couldn't explain that I was from the future, so I told them I was going to hide under the bed and tried to persuade the other children to come with me, I knew the parents would be killed but I didn't know what happened to the children and thought I could save them. We crawled under the wooden bedframe and I hid my head under a pillow and tried to get the others to do the same - I knew the shock wave would blow our ears out if we didn;t.

I woke up still half-hearing the rumble of the approaching bombers.

Not a totally unexpected dream, I had been reading about the bombing of Exeter a few days ago and reading up about gas explosions and their effect on the human body as research for a new book. But the clarity and sense of dread in the dream was astonishing.

Yesterday I went to Kate Bush's house to do some re-mixing in her home studio, specifically on Hounds of Love. We had all the tracks up on the mixing desk & were going through it when it transpired her house which was situated somewhere in west London near the river, & it overflowed at high tide sending a steady stream of water flowing up the garden, through the back door, through the house & out the front door.

When this happened it seemed like a good time for a break & we decided to go to a pub for a drink but didn't go to a local hostelry, instead heading for one somewhere in the east - Tottenham I think. For some reason I was riding a motorbike, something I've never had. Then I woke up.

I worked for the Queen of England. We got along great and had a very informal working relationship. She elicited my take on things and appreciated my simplicity and candor. She wore her crown. She spoke with an American accent. We talked while I sat on the floor of the bathroom and she was in the bath. Very realistic, don't you think?

Something that has happened numerous times during c19 lockdown but I'm not sure I've had before, is that there will be some sort of malevolent entity in my dream, often invisible and I will angrily try to confront it, generally waking up in the process. In the dream, on at least a few of the occasions I wasn't lucid dreaming but was partially aware that I had some control over my reality or that reality wasn't quite "real". At least once, where I could see something, a figure in a mirror I think and it scared me but I then imagined it as "worse" and I think the appearance changed, though I don't recall specifics, it also radiated a greater malice than before. I was essentially wilfully scaring myself.

My dream very early this morning was a glittering, panoramic, cast-of-thousands musical production of "(I've Had) The Time Of My Life" from Dirty Dancing. Somewhere mixed in was the cast of Saturday Night Live and The Wizard of Oz. No, it did not transition from sepia to Technicolor. It was saturated, loud, and I was sitting in the audience thinking about how much I don't like this song.

I went to the pub again. I dream a couple of times a week of different pubs, none of these pubs exist in real life (thst i kniw of) but they are very nice. Perhaps I should switch to a career in pub design.

Another night of dreaming oddity: the strangest thing I can remember (and very Fortean) is that I was dead and seemingly a ghost. I was trying to talk to a couple of my friends and couldn't make myself heard even though I was shouting, and then we walked in front of a mirror I could see myself clearly with them, but with a mass of caked-on blood over my left eye. At one point I got the impression one of the people I was speaking with had some sort of impression of me...

As with some of my other recent dreams at one point I was missing footwear. Usually I'm missing both shoes but last night at one point I was wearing a single Doc Marten, and at another I was wearing a single training shoe.

The other bit I can remember is that I was in a museum, or at least a building with a memorial display to actors who had died young... Sean Connery, Roger Moore and Christopher Lee. It turned out somebody had been travelling back in time to kill the actors in James Bond films, in order to replace them with a character called 'Sloane Patrol' who wore a badge with VP on it! Bonkers.

The other bit I can remember is that I was in a museum, or at least a building with a memorial display to actors who had died young... Sean Connery, Roger Moore and Christopher Lee.
Young?

Yep, that was the point. In my dream they had died in the 1960s, before Bond really took off, as a result of time-travelling film-makers in the present day, or something like that!! In reality they lived to 90, 89 and 93. And while I like Bond, and have read all the Ian Fleming books, it's not an obsession of mine, and not a theme I dream about regularly unlike the lack of footwear, which is a regular theme. (And just as I'm writing 'footwear', the word 'footprint' is mentioned on Newsnight.

I am sleeping in my own spare room at the moment (no, I haven't fallen out with myself and shut myself out of my bedroom, I'm decorating in there). Which may explain last night's weirdness.

I dreamed I woke up and went to the staircase. Downstairs, in a hallway I don't have, was a couple. A gingerish older man with a 1950's haircut. i shouted 'what are you doing in here?' and he just smiled and walked through to the kitchen. I went down and there was a different couple in the kitchen, which appeared to be old fashioned. A woman with grey curly hair was making tea and she smiled at me. I realised that these were the people who lived in my house before me.

Then I dreamed I and another daughter were stuck somewhere rural. I called my middle daughter to drive over and pick us up. On the way home she was talking about an old school friend and, as a result took a wrong turning and we ended up having to turn around in a gateway. Then we were shopping in a large town and middle daughter said to me 'It's the sixth today' in a meaningful way. I then realised it was the birthday of other daughter who was with us (whose birthday, in real life, isn't anywhere near the sixth of anything) and I'd forgotten! She was being very nice about it but I was overwhelmed with guilt.

I KEEP dreaming of there being other people in my house. Either burglars, or just people going about normal business, pretending that they have every right to be there! What's that all about, someone?

... I KEEP dreaming of there being other people in my house. Either burglars, or just people going about normal business, pretending that they have every right to be there! What's that all about, someone?

IMHO dreams are the picture show side-effect of your memory processes performing housekeeping during sleep. Memory operates via fluid / flexible associations. The dreaming mind is in an active (near-waking) state - a state within which (as in waking life) you are constantly attempting to 'situate' yourself by fleshing out the scene or situation within which you find yourself.

Perhaps for you your house is the most familiar and ready-to-hand context for framing the figures, their actions and their relationship to you as they randomly bubble up from memory.

IMHO dreams are the picture show side-effect of your memory processes performing housekeeping during sleep. Memory operates via fluid / flexible associations. The dreaming mind is in an active (near-waking) state - a state within which (as in waking life) you are constantly attempting to 'situate' yourself by fleshing out the scene or situation within which you find yourself.

Perhaps for you your house is the most familiar and ready-to-hand context for framing the figures, their actions and their relationship to you as they randomly bubble up from memory.
But they are always strangers - which leads me to think it's the actual act, ie, someone being in my house, uninvited, that is the unexplained thing. I'm not dreaming about people I know.

But they are always strangers - which leads me to think it's the actual act, ie, someone being in my house, uninvited, that is the unexplained thing. I'm not dreaming about people I know.

The 'stranger' is framed with regard to your house, and then you 'construct' the visible character to represent the 'stranger' (which in turn might be a personification of 'intrusion' or 'something wrong'). Which elements of the scene / scenario are innate to the impulse versus which are synthesized to flesh out the scene / scenario can vary. No matter what it may be that seeds the tableau you're filling in the remainder with available parts.

I am sleeping in my own spare room at the moment (no, I haven't fallen out with myself and shut myself out of my bedroom, I'm decorating in there). Which may explain last night's weirdness.

I dreamed I woke up and went to the staircase. Downstairs, in a hallway I don't have, was a couple. A gingerish older man with a 1950's haircut. i shouted 'what are you doing in here?' and he just smiled and walked through to the kitchen. I went down and there was a different couple in the kitchen, which appeared to be old fashioned. A woman with grey curly hair was making tea and she smiled at me. I realised that these were the people who lived in my house before me.

Then I dreamed I and another daughter were stuck somewhere rural. I called my middle daughter to drive over and pick us up. On the way home she was talking about an old school friend and, as a result took a wrong turning and we ended up having to turn around in a gateway. Then we were shopping in a large town and middle daughter said to me 'It's the sixth today' in a meaningful way. I then realised it was the birthday of other daughter who was with us (whose birthday, in real life, isn't anywhere near the sixth of anything) and I'd forgotten! She was being very nice about it but I was overwhelmed with guilt.

I KEEP dreaming of there being other people in my house. Either burglars, or just people going about normal business, pretending that they have every right to be there! What's that all about, someone?
If you woke up with a headache, then I'd say paint fumes.

I've discovered a new type of dream for me....

I have a few distinct "types" of dreams, but this is a new one. I call them "Scripted Dreams". Seems like my mind wants to create, doesn't have an outlet (owing to covid and such) and so I've been dreaming scripts of shows that I've watched in the past. Like, my mind writes an entire script and I'm somehow both a bit player and the camera.

So far it's been X-Files, NCIS, Law & Order, and a host more that I can't think of at the moment.

Morning, sorry not to have been on this awhile,busy and all that. Anyhow, the dream I had last night was a bit of a dozy for me and quite upsetting. I'm in a waiting room and there must of been about 15-20 people there, can't remember why we were waiting but it felt like we were dead!!!! While I was there a woman started to scratch my back really hard , argued with her to stop it but she wouldn't,managed to get away from and ended up on a bench at a shopping mall but it wasn't covered over. Anyway , I saw a busker entertaining the shoppers who were passing by and some next to me started to play his guitar,when all of a sudden I burst into tears and woke up. God's knows what that woneas about but when I woke up I really wanted to start crying.

Last night I was being fired. I was working in a job that was an amalgam of jobs I've done before, and I'd got a letter that my boss was going to close down the school. My immediate boss, someone I don't know in real life, was impressing me by being very sharply dressed in a white suit with waistcoat and very smoothly shaved and he was going to try to plead for our jobs.

I woke in a very real panic, heart hammering, with the fear of being redundant, and the impossibility of paying the bills or getting another job, post 60. When I realised it was a dream, not a memory, I was so relieved, but it took a while for my heart to settle down.

Had a very vivid dream that I only recall part of, but as far as I can remember, it is an unprecedented type of dream for me. I met my soul mate! He was a sort of scruffy and innocent Johnny Depp style guy, not a look alike but a look-similar, sort of. There was not much action of any type, but there was a voice over narration and music, as the dream was somewhat cinematic in a very low key way.

My "soul mate"and I lived in the same apartment building, and shared a common entry area where there was seating. In this area, he arranged for a "performance" by black haired women, somewhat punk/goth style, who sat around and didn't say anything. I watched, had some alcoholic drink, and then went back up to my apartment. The stairs had turned into a ladder, and my "soul mate" helped me up. It felt highly romantic, and not at all erotic. I missed him when I woke up, and hope I get to dream of him again!

Had a very vivid dream that I only recall part of, but as far as I can remember, it is an unprecedented type of dream for me. I met my soul mate! He was a sort of scruffy and innocent Johnny Depp style guy, not a look alike but a look-similar, sort of. There was not much action of any type, but there was a voice over narration and music, as the dream was somewhat cinematic in a very low key way.

My "soul mate"and I lived in the same apartment building, and shared a common entry area where there was seating. In this area, he arranged for a "performance" by black haired women, somewhat punk/goth style, who sat around and didn't say anything. I watched, had some alcoholic drink, and then went back up to my apartment. The stairs had turned into a ladder, and my "soul mate" helped me up. It felt highly romantic, and not at all erotic. I missed him when I woke up, and hope I get to dream of him again!
I'm a scruffy and innocent Johnny Depp style guy.

In my dreams, like - in my dreams. :)
OK, remove the Johnny Depp bit - that's me.

Reactions: Ger
I was dreaming about driving somewhere - maybe Crediton - with my former boss, and the road we were taking was inexplicably diverted, but we didn't believe the road sign and kept driving. This led to us bumping down a grassy slope towards a river, and eventually IN the river (in my trusty red Mini). Somehow we turned out of the river to park between two buildings, next to Office Angels, and when I queried whether we were allowed to park there, my companion said, "Oh, it's alright, where I'm going is right next to Office Angels". The she trotted off, leaving me worried about getting a parking fine...

I was dreaming about driving somewhere - maybe Crediton - with my former boss, and the road we were taking was inexplicably diverted, but we didn't believe the road sign and kept driving. This led to us bumping down a grassy slope towards a river, and eventually IN the river (in my trusty red Mini). Somehow we turned out of the river to park between two buildings, next to Office Angels, and when I queried whether we were allowed to park there, my companion said, "Oh, it's alright, where I'm going is right next to Office Angels". The she trotted off, leaving me worried about getting a parking fine...
Oh Crediton! That's a blast from the past. My dad and I used to go to Crediton on the bus and then walk back to Exeter over the hills (back in the day when the hills were fields, not housing estates).

Here's one that's left me feeling "off" all day: I was in hospital in the dream, with Covid, and to make myself feel better I started eating one of the nurses. She didn't seem that bothered. This is some Armie Hammer shit, except unlike him when I woke up, as a vegetarian I felt pretty ill. Not sure I want to analyse this one...

I have been having quite a few dreams which involve me meeting up with people I know to be dead. At first it was confined to famous (to me) people but now more increasingly people I knew.

I haven't noticed any real change in the vividness of my dreams but... I have to admit I was basically a lone wolf before Covid and so the only change it's pushed on me is working from home and using MS teams for meetings. Which I'm okay with since it let's me browse the web while I am supposed to be in meetings. Plus I have vivid dreams anyway so, for me, no change.

Back