• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Morning Glossolalia

gattino

Justified & Ancient
Steady.

I don't think I've ever mentioned it anywhere - except here once and briefly - so I'd don't know if it's just a personal idiosyncrasy or a common experience ( I suspect the former). Occasionally when I wake in the morning and stretch and yawn I don't merely inhale air but expel a slew of nonsense words which for all the world sounds like I'm speaking in an African or sometimes native American tongue. I'm conscious of doing it but not consciously deciding to do it if you see what I mean. Although I could easily not do it, so it's not like it's out of my control. What intrigues me is that it does genuinely sound like I'm speaking another language.

I'm sure the more imaginative members of the Fortean realm will hear "Native American" and immediately think of their frequent cliched associations with a medium's spirit guide. But it is assuredly nonsense I'm uttering.

Nonetheless I've a fantasy I'll actually be overhead one day by someone who identifies it as a real language and understands it . That would be delightfully unnerving.

Does anyone else do this? Or should I suddenly look sheepish and step out of the room because you're all staring blankly at me?

I sometimes yawn and accidentally do a passable impression of Chewbacca, if that helps.
I do too. I might also do a horse impression.

Steady.

I don't think I've ever mentioned it anywhere - except here once and briefly - so I'd don't know if it's just a personal idiosyncrasy or a common experience ( I suspect the former). Occasionally when I wake in the morning and stretch and yawn I don't merely inhale air but expel a slew of nonsense words which for all the world sounds like I'm speaking in an African or sometimes native American tongue. I'm conscious of doing it but not consciously deciding to do it if you see what I mean. Although I could easily not do it, so it's not like it's out of my control. What intrigues me is that it does genuinely sound like I'm speaking another language.

I'm sure the more imaginative members of the Fortean realm will hear "Native American" and immediately think of their frequent cliched associations with a medium's spirit guide. But it is assuredly nonsense I'm uttering.

Nonetheless I've a fantasy I'll actually be overhead one day by someone who identifies it as a real language and understands it . That would be delightfully unnerving.

Does anyone else do this? Or should I suddenly look sheepish and step out of the room because you're all staring blankly at me?

You should get a sound-activated voice recorder app. I had one and it was great fun.

The idea is to record your sleep-talking. What mine picked up was a lot of snoring/farting and the pets occasionally fighting.
There were also anomalous footsteps, ooer.

So yours would record your morning glossolalia and we could work out what language it is. :D

I often wake up with a nonsense phrase, an odd word, or a bad pun circling in my mind, typically one that is in no way related to anything I did the day before, anything I have planned for the day ahead, or anything I have watched or read recently. It's like the non-musical equivalent of an earworm.

I also get earworms, but that is probably because I listen to a lot of music with repetitive lyrics and melodies.

However, as far as I'm aware, all these strange words and sounds stay quietly private in my head.

Please do what escargot suggested! Funnily enough this morning when I woke up I had a song in my head that seemed REALLY loud, no idea why. I have heard it a lot on the radio recently but prior to this incident I'd never woken up with a song in my head, which made me wonder whether it was part of a dream.

Does this phenomena ever coincide with a dream gattino?

Last edited:
I once dreamed about a word whose meaning I TOTALLY understood.

Woke up with it still in my head, wrote it down, looked it up, it doesn't exist! :chuckle:

Last edited:
I once dreamed about a word whose meaning I TOTALLY understood.

Woke up with it still in my head, wrote it down, looked it up it doesn't exist! :chuckle:
What was that word?

I do the nonsense syllables thing sometimes when I stretch, in the morning or otherwise. I also frequently feel the need to say "Bart" when I burp - although a friend once said the proper name to use was "Ralph" (as in Kramden, not Fiennes.)

I know singers, actors, and announcers sometimes use sounds to "warm up" their voices. Maybe this is a way if making sure the parts of your throat are in a comfortable position for you after sleep or an involuntary body function.

I also frequently feel the need to say "Bart" when I burp
When we kept dogs we'd blame them for that sort of thing. I lived in Hungary for a while and was still in that habit.

There may still be perfectly respectable Hungarians who burp/fart and say 'Rocky! For God's sake, Man!'

I'm not sure you understand that I meant the burp comes out as "BART!"

That's a totally separate art form.

Anyway, 'Bart' is too easy. It's more creative to express multiple syllables.

s-l400.jpg

As an aside, I used to work near the Bart Spices factory and still pass it regularly. The aroma it generates has some interesting properties, which I described here:
Back on topic, I've long been convinced given the right conditions certain smells, like sounds, can have a "Whispering Gallery" effect, by which a non-overpowering scent can somehow be carried a very long way and manifest itself at full potency elsewhere.

For example, a mile or two from the college at which I work there's a spice blending factory. There's a railway line, two main roads, several hundred houses and a large, hilly park between the two. Yet, on certain quite calm days you can smell different spices quite clearly from the main gates of my workplace - what's interesting and quite odd is that if you then travel towards the general area of the spice factory you can't smell the spices nearly as intensely, or indeed at all, until you get within a hundred or so metres of the factory itself. What's more, the predominant spice smell when you get there matches the one smelt at the college (I've tested this a few times as I go past said factory on the way home if I cycle a certain route.) So yes, smells can somehow be vectored and retain their integrity. Quite how, I know not.
Back OT, it's a fascinating thing. I know someone with a slight North Eastern accent having lived away from Sunderland for decades, but whose accent first thing in the morning is definitely stronger, as if it's reset overnight.

There's also the element of perception (eg see the different ways that dog's barks are rendered in different languages.)

I'm not sure how relevant this may be, but I have mentioned on another thread - the Minor Strangeness one, I think - that I have caught myself, very rarely, apparently sleeptalking in classes - classes in which I'm the teacher.

It goes like this: I have some one- to-one classes. In these I am a bit more relaxed than I would be than if teaching a group of people and if I am a bit tired (and real fatigue can be brought on by going in and out of warm buildings in the cold weather - which is a common situation where I am ) and - frankly - a bit bored...then sometimes I may fall into a very short microsleep.

When this happens, it seems that I carry on talking (If I had been before) rather than shutting up. I use real words -and sometimes I wake back up quickly enough to overhear them.

Once I mentioned `trapdoors` and another time was saying something about dogs. In all cases whatever it is that I briefly mutter in this way is off topic and causes a bit of mild consternation.

I think I have got away with it though as in all of these cases the student has been rather young - and probably just thought I was spouting some clever English which they didn't catch. (Hope so, anyway!)

(And the last time I mentioned this, concerned posters suggsted that I visit a doctor! Please don'r do so again. I have no intention of doing any such thing. I'm quite allright)

The falling asleep thing Zeke mentions above , your not alone. I've done something similar loads of times, when ive been tired. Was once in wetherspoons in Halifax with a friend, got some food. I fell asleep over the food and ended up with my face on the steak dinner , ha ha. Fell asleep just like that after a few mouthfuls of food ......Lots of very funny nasty looks and tutting from other customers (they prob thought I was on hard drugs , there's a lot if that about in Halifax n Hudds) , my mate woke me up obvs.

No drugs just pure tiredness n sleep deprivation.

Another incident was 2 yrs ago, when my little boy was 1. We were on a long bus ride home , from Hudds town centre to Grange Moor (nearly in Wakefield) where we lived at the time ( I'm nearer civilisation now thank god, it was middle of nowhere n a nightmare if you have no car, which got worse when lockdowns started, bus once every 4 hrs!!) ..... Anyway I digress, so yep me n little man , in a Pram which was overloaded to the hilt with shopping , nappies , food ect. Heavy bags . It was so heavy you could not push it far, but I knew I only had to cross the road when we get off bus , to be home , so thought we would be ok.

So I nodded off on this long bus ride didn't I, only for about 10mins, but long enough to now be far far from home ! I woke up, looked out into the darkness ( as it was winter and about 5pm so dark already) , I did not recognise the surroundings at all..... Panicked and asked driver where we were, turns out that we were now on a long country road to Flockton (women's prison is there with Rose West in - mad fact) , no houses , nothing but pitch black lonely fields either side . What a nightmare .

Anyway we got off n hoped to catch a bus coming other way back to my village, because I didn't fancy a 30 min walk in the pitch black with a now awake and hungry toddler and an overloaded Pram. He lets us off at the stop outside the lane that goes to the women's jail. . . Guess what , checked bus times over road , no bloody bus for an hour. I had no money for a taxi as I'd spent up in town. Money in bank but miles from cash machines. ... So I thought we will just have to walk it.

Most creepy nightmare of a walk ever. There was no proper footpath on this country lane , Pram was super overloaded so pushing it was hard work. Cars flying past nearly running us over . Then the carrier bags hanging off Pram handles started breaking and tins of food are rolling down the hill..... And it was just so pitch black , creepy middle of nowhere feeling. . . I didn't even know if I was walking right way to be honest , the road seemed never ending ....and With the creepy women's jail nearby , I started thinking stupid things like " what if some psycho woman has escaped and jumps out of a bush to attack us , Rose West is gonna jump out from behind a tree! " ... Ha ha ........Half hour walk but I was exhausted , pushing that Pram that weighed a ton had done me in, never been so glad to get in home and have a sit down, well not much of a sit down cos still needed to put shopping away and feed n change little one. :) . But glad we both got home in one piece because that walk was CREEPY as hell.

Sorry that's turned out a long one lol.

All that bloody trouble though all because I nodded off on a bus eh!,

We live near shops, cash machines n busy bus routes now, so that won't happen again, I got my landlady to move me start of lockdown, cos once that started , living in that isolated village with no car was a nightmare. Glad I'm out of that place . I'm in a nice area n no creepy country lanes or jails nearby to get lost near.

Last edited:
The falling asleep thing Zeke mentions above , your not alone. I've done something similar loads of times, when ive been tired. Was once in wetherspoons in Halifax with a friend, got some food. I fell asleep over the food and ended up with my face on the steak dinner , ha ha. Fell asleep just like that after a few mouthfuls of food ......Lots of very funny nasty looks and tutting from other customers (they prob thought I was on hard drugs , there's a lot if that about in Halifax n Hudds) , my mate woke me up obvs.

No drugs just pure tiredness n sleep deprivation.

Another incident was 2 yrs ago, when my little boy was 1. We were on a long bus ride home , from Hudds town centre to Grange Moor (nearly in Wakefield) where we lived at the time ( I'm nearer civilisation now thank god, it was middle of nowhere n a nightmare if you have no car, which got worse when lockdowns started, bus once every 4 hrs!!) ..... Anyway I digress, so yep me n little man , in a Pram which was overloaded to the hilt with shopping , nappies , food ect. Heavy bags . It was so heavy you could not push it far, but I knew I only had to cross the road when we get off bus , to be home , so thought we would be ok.

So I nodded off on this long bus ride didn't I, only for about 10mins, but long enough to now be far far from home ! I woke up, looked out into the darkness ( as it was winter and about 5pm so dark already) , I did not recognise the surroundings at all..... Panicked and asked driver where we were, turns out that we were now on a long country road to Flockton (women's prison is there with Rose West in - mad fact) , no houses , nothing but pitch black lonely fields either side . What a nightmare .

Anyway we got off n hoped to catch a bus coming other way back to my village, because I didn't fancy a 30 min walk in the pitch black with a now awake and hungry toddler and an overloaded Pram. He lets us off at the stop outside the lane that goes to the women's jail. . . Guess what , checked bus times over road , no bloody bus for an hour. I had no money for a taxi as I'd spent up in town. Money in bank but miles from cash machines. ... So I thought we will just have to walk it.

Most creepy nightmare of a walk ever. There was no proper footpath on this country lane , Pram was super overloaded so pushing it was hard work. Cars flying past nearly running us over . Then the carrier bags hanging off Pram handles started breaking and tins of food are rolling down the hill..... And it was just so pitch black , creepy middle of nowhere feeling. . . I didn't even know if I was walking right way to be honest , the road seemed never ending ....and With the creepy women's jail nearby , I started thinking stupid things like " what if some psycho woman has escaped and jumps out of a bush to attack us , Rose West is gonna jump out from behind a tree! " ... Ha ha ........Half hour walk but I was exhausted , pushing that Pram that weighed a ton had done me in, never been so glad to get in home and have a sit down, well not much of a sit down cos still needed to put shopping away and feed n change little one. :) . But glad we both got home in one piece because that walk was CREEPY as hell.

Sorry that's turned out a long one lol.

All that bloody trouble though all because I nodded off on a bus eh!,

We live near shops, cash machines n busy bus routes now, so that won't happen again, I got my landlady to move me start of lockdown, cos once that started , living in that isolated village with no car was a nightmare. Glad I'm out of that place . I'm in a nice area n no creepy country lanes or jails nearby to get lost near.
Ah Grange Moor, Huddersfield and Halifax. Brings back great memories for me, sounds like a bit of a nightmare for you.

I'm not sure if I do it much now but in the past I have performed oral gymnastics while performing my morning stretch.

More like squeaks, trills, growls and plosive noises than anything that sounds like a language.

Fell asleep on t'sofa and woke up in the middle of a discussion of the life and times of Tobloth who is some previously unknown cousin of Cthulhu.

I do the nonsense syllables thing sometimes when I stretch, in the morning or otherwise. I also frequently feel the need to say "Bart" when I burp - although a friend once said the proper name to use was "Ralph" (as in Kramden, not Fiennes.)

I know singers, actors, and announcers sometimes use sounds to "warm up" their voices. Maybe this is a way if making sure the parts of your throat are in a comfortable position for you after sleep or an involuntary body function.
Hi, Ralph is barfing...as in, calling ralph on the big white phone

Well,

At my age I am happy I am not waking up in a coffin, and my wife next to me is scratching my butt.

Hi, Ralph is barfing...as in, calling ralph on the big white phone
Used to listen to Piccadilly Radio (local Manchester station) in the '70s when in the early hours they'd play albums by comedians such as Fred Wedlock and of course Mike Harding.

Can particularly remember one describing Isle of Man ferry passengers on a choppy Irish Sea leaning over the side to call out to friends and relations.
'Uncle!', 'Huey!' and 'Ralph!' were popular cries. :chuckle:

Back