• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mosquito Tornados / Tornadoes

kamalktk

Antediluvian
pictures at the link. I think I'm off to buy some mosquito repellent now.

http://io9.com/why-this-tornado-is-...utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

While visiting Leziria Grande at Vila Franca de Xira in Portugal recently, photographer Ana Filipa Scarpa noticed something off in the distance that resembled a funnel cloud. But it wasn't a tornado, or even a funnel for that matter. Rather, it was something... alive.

"Earlier this year, I was finishing-up my photo shoot for the day, and I began to pack my things — when suddenly I saw in the sky [something] that I thought was a wind twister," Scarpa told io9. "It was a very high funnel swinging to the left and to the right. I pointed my camera and began shooting before it hit me. But the funnel did not move toward me — and I thought it was so strange — so I got into my car and started to drive towards it, and that's when I realized it was a mosquito twister."

As she drove nearer, the mosquitoes actually started entering into her car.

Leziria Grande de Vila Franca de Xira is a highly fertile breeding ground for mosquitoes, Scarpa told me, because there are many water branches to assure water to animals and harvests.

Scarpa says the swarm extended about 1,000 feet high and was nearly a quarter mile (300 meters) from her position. It was taken with a Nikon D3 and a 200 mm lens; perspective makes the leading edge of the swarm appear smaller and thus tapered.

Multiple mosquito 'tornadoes' created a surreal scene in Argentina.
Mosquito swarm makes tornado-like formation in Argentina

Motorists in Argentina were faced with a confronting sight as they drove towards what appeared to be a forming tornado recently – but on closer inspection, it was actually something else entirely.

Footage filmed by a person driving along Route 74 between General Madariaga and Pinamar revealed the dark tornado-like formation was actually a huge swarm of mosquitoes. ...

The video was shared online where it quickly went viral, attracting horrified reactions from social media users.

The bizarre scenes occurred after the Buenos Aires region of Argentina recently saw an explosion of mosquitoes after consistent heavy rains. ...

FULL STORY (With Video):
https://www.news.com.au/technology/...a/news-story/08ad6dc686caed1a720334cded4c6d74

Here's a recent sighting of massive mosquito tornados / tornadoes on the Kamchatka Peninsula.

Millions of mosquitoes swarm darkening the sky

A Russian motorist captured video while driving through a huge ‘tornado’ of millions of randy mosquitoes looking to mate.

The unusual phenomenon was filmed in the village of Ust-Kamchatsk in the far-eastern Russian region of Kamchatka Krai on July 17. Alexei Ponomarev, a resident of the Ust-Kamchatsky region, took the video.

Ponomarev said he was driving for hundreds of yards through the swarm and was unable to see properly. He described “pillars” of insects that formed, dispersed and reformed in the sky above him, and said he “didn’t dare” open the car windows. ...

Previous studies of the phenomenon suggest the “pillars” form around “swarm markers” on the ground, such as puddles or other objects. ...

According to local media, the phenomenon is nothing new to locals, who witness the ritual every summer, and the number of mosquitoes varies each year along with the weather conditions. ...
FULL STORY (With Photos / Video): https://www.komonews.com/news/offbeat/millions-of-mosquitoes-swarm-darkening-the-sky

Back