• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Most Haunted Places In Your Home Town

The White Horse Pub in Cromer is supposed to have a ghost foot that was seen a few times on the staircase .. a ghost foot I ask you !? .. that ghost tour was shit.

its legendary.
LOL .. It certainly is not Ramon (the tour that is) ... before the current owners who now run it as a credible bistro pub, Jan was the landlady .. she pretty much gave up on the place and would get drunk and fall asleep in one of the crooks .. she'd allow the customers to serve themselves to drinks with an honesty payment tray so of course a few people ripped her off. The electricity ended up being cut off so everyone brought their own candles and someone rigged up a generator on the last few nights of her occupation of the place .. my old flat mate ended up falling asleep in one of the upstairs rooms but in all the time I've known this place, nobody has ever talked about a phantom foot. Apart from the tour guide.

Now the Red Lion Hotel in Cromer was a bit more convincing as a haunted location although the owners didn't want the publicity ... here's exactly my old working spot and where most (but not all) the creepy stuff happened .. phantom footsteps, cold spots, irregular photographs and light bulbs burning out at an alarming rate, ghost investigators trying to channel the place .. I was told a woman ghost was fond of me because she thought I was the old bell boy somehow. Would that make me a spetrephiliac ?. Loads of weird stuff happened there :cool: ... apparently some other woman fell down these stairs but didn't die according to a medium ..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...hXhK8AKHVtJAZ8Q_AUIBygC#imgrc=1LG1gGyXLOYgQM:

Last edited:
Frankly not many in this village would buy illegal drugs They get them from their doctors. The cemetery is used for a drop point in the county. Mary wanna seems to be he drug of choice. During the year we probably have one or more drug busts. I mean, gee, you gotta get Home grown do to the fact its rather cheap.. Helps the local farmers.

1) Yes I know.
2) You didn't mention illegal drugs....you can be a prescription drug junkie.
3) You did...

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@54.901319,-4.378935,73.32h,-3.52p,1z

That man has possibly soiled himself, in the middle of the day, in the street and is busy apparently collapsing against that wall. He's probably off his tits on oxycontin and Copydex....

These small villages are always the worst...

Don't be so fucking facetious. I was speaking to Frideswide, and the tone of Brig's posts don't suggest that we're talking about prescription drugs.

Small ingrown villages are a wonder to see. Here, drugs are no problem yet. As to how many use them? Could be quite a few seeing as how low grade (weed quality), Merry wanna grows wild. The town population is probably 40% retired and their doctors keep them well supplied with legal drugs (can't verify that), however. You did know marijuana was raised by farmers during World War two to make rope? The weed grows wild in West Virginia and southern Ohio. In spite of easy availability, alcoholic beverages are still being made, that's, Moonshine. Some of my relatives over in the wilderness mountain areas of West Virginia still makes the stuff and sit around the kitchen table and brag about their escapades with it. I've tried it to be one with the family, but one old cuss makes the most vicious liquid fire you ever set fire to your tonsils with. And on top of that the stuff tastes like paint thinner. BTW they just love to get a green horn to chew teaberry leaves with them. Watch it; you can't speak plainly and your entire mouth is numb and stays that way for several hours. Mountain people use the very young and most potent teaberry leaves to numb bad teeth until they can go to a dentist or get them pulled by a friend. The tiny red teaberries, on the other hand are quite good (ever tried teaberry gum?)Very Similar.

What?! How many junkies do you think there are in Creetown, for example? And that's over double the population of Brig's town.

I was thinking of alcohol and prescription drugs - I should have said. :D

Unfortunately. I know several people who were put on OxyContin and got hooked on it. These people suffer intense pain so , I guess, I can understand to a degree their addiction. We have a local "doctor" who is way too willing to prescribe several addicting pain killers. He has been brought up on charges twice that I know of, but always manages to squirm out of it. What really bugs me are the "macho" dimwits" who use it to prove how macho they are. Then there are those who a plain bored, poor babies, wanting to try something different. I'm certain hard drugs will hit here soon enough. At the moment alcohol is the greatest problem.

drbates I could not have said it better. There's the problem. I realize it's no answer, but my strongest pain killer is powdered Aspirin. I had a young West Virginia doctor tell me over 50 years ago that powdered Aspirin taken with half a glass of whole milk would never cause the bleeding that a few people report. I am well aware there is pain that aspirin just not strong enough to dull. Also, did you know vitamin C taken with aspirin will double its effect.

There has to be a logical explanation for something that occurred last evening. Many of you will remember that almost a year ago I lost one of my dogs very suddenly. Last night I sat down at the computer to read my E mail. Shadow, my little black schnauzer wanted up in my lap and as I have spoiled her rotten since we lost Rowdy, I picked her up and made room for her on my lap. I had just gotten her settled and was turning my attention back to my E mail when I heard a distinct thump ,(like a dog jumping off a chair), and the rattle of collar tags. I looked around immediately, of course, there was nothing there. Shadow did not react. Up to that point I was not thinking of Rowdy. But it was his favorite chair. I really don't know what made the sounds, Shadow was lying half asleep on my lap. She didn't shake her head nor did she jump down. The sounds were plain, they were there. I just cannot explain logically where they came from.

There has to be a logical explanation for something that occurred last evening. Many of you will remember that almost a year ago I lost one of my dogs very suddenly. Last night I sat down at the computer to read my E mail. Shadow, my little black schnauzer wanted up in my lap and as I have spoiled her rotten since we lost Rowdy, I picked her up and made room for her on my lap. I had just gotten her settled and was turning my attention back to my E mail when I heard a distinct thump ,(like a dog jumping off a chair), and the rattle of collar tags. I looked around immediately, of course, there was nothing there. Shadow did not react. Up to that point I was not thinking of Rowdy. But it was his favorite chair. I really don't know what made the sounds, Shadow was lying half asleep on my lap. She didn't shake her head nor did she jump down. The sounds were plain, they were there. I just cannot explain logically where they came from.

Brig, I think you already established that there are some extra dogs at your place. It's kind of nice.

Monday was cool but not cold, the sky was clear and the sun shone brightly. I was working on the second floor, gathering up odds and ends to either throw out or put away. Suddenly with out warning I was startled by a very loud crash. A jarringly loud, sharp, noise; but of very short duration. Shadow, my miniature schnauzer, jumped and ran in circles. I don't know if she was trying to determine where the sound came from or just didn't know where to run to get away from whatever. If a medium caliber pistol had been discharged right next to me, I think the sound would have approximated what occurred. As usual I checked out the entire house looking for anything that could have caused the noise. As loud as it was, you would surely think some sort of remnant would be left behind. I seriously doubt it was weather related this time. The sky was clear, the weather cool, and only a very light breeze outside. These loud bangs are not uncommon for this house. Some times they are explainable and other times they remain a mystery. About every year as Christmas approaches these "explosions" occur. Most of the time no explanation is found.

The only place in Iowa you ever hear of being haunted is the Villisca House. But I've heard of the Squirrel Cage Jail in Council Bluffs (pretty much my hometown) being haunted. Also the General Dodge House and some ULs about an angel statue in a cemetery. But I don't think any mind-blowing 'haunts' in the town.

KHammers there are very few mind-blowing hauntings. Usually such matters occur to only one or two people or maybe a family unit. As I have said before and from personal experience, very few people believe in "hauntings" until they experience one themselves. I was a total skeptic until my early 30's and, Oh my, I lived in a place of pure evil for about a year that quickly changed my mind.

Pure Evil of a different sort that that small town in West Virginia had lots of superstition. drugs, and alcohol to go with it. It mainly served as a residential area for members of the mob. I think they have cleaned up a bit over the past 20 or 30 years.

Strange things still occur here. Some times we just tend to overlook them. As I have mentioned before I installed motion lights in our upstairs hall because that hallway has no light sources except through the rooms on each end. The other night, Tuesday night I think, We got in rather late. Our dog had been rather active all day and skipped her afternoon nap. I was really tired too so she and I went upstairs around 9 pm to turn in. My wife stayed downstairs as she had computer messages and etc. I played with the dog for 15 minutes or so and while we were playing the motion light in the hall came on. I thought maybe my wife had changed her mind and was on her way. Nothing happened so Shadow and I resumed play. We were both facing the southern bedroom door which opens onto the long upstairs hall when the motion light again came on. This time shadow reacted with her ears totally erect. Still nothing occurred. Shadow was ready to sleep as she made a turn or two and flopped down in her usual spot at the foot of the bed. But I decided to wait and watch to see if the light came on a third time. It did. I was out of bed in a flash and the motion got Shadow up and with me as well. There was nothing to see in the hall. My dog can activate that light, but nothing smaller than her ever has. I even went downstairs and my wife was still typing away at some E mail. This is the second time since we installed the motion lights that they have activated with no known cause. The first time was just after we had put them in. That time it was my wife who witnessed their strange behavior and it wasn't me or our dog.

Once again my wife has a strange experience. When we get home from the wife's store we generally have supper and I do whatever I need to do on the computer. My wife is generally tired from running her store and retires to the upstairs "Noah room" to unwind. She generally comes downstairs around 9 or 9:30 and takes her turn at the computer.
Last night, around 9:30pm she come into the computer room (Library) and said, " When you were upstairs why did you open the bedroom door (Noah room) then close it without saying anything". "Whoa there, I replied, I haven't left here since I started" (around 6:30pm). "Shadow and I have been right here". "Seriously, she says, about half an hour ago, I was reading the paper" (laying on the bed, which parallels the wall the door of the bedroom is located on). "Someone opened the door about this wide (indicating six or eight inches) and when I said, "Yes?" the door closed, completely". "And it was not you?" "It was not me," I replied.
Those bedroom doors do not open easily. They are made of oak or walnut and their hinges are original and pretty much used. They do not open hard; however, they open hard enough to stay in place when movement subsides and remain in place until further force is used. In other words they do not swing freely. The hall is well enclosed and unless the attic door is open is not subject to noticeable drafts. Finding doors open that shouldn't be are much more common here than actually watching a door open and close.
The exterior doors to this house are generally kept locked; even when we are home. The only door we use commonly is the kitchen door and we lock it because it does swing freely and we do not need the loss of heat or cool air, depending. of course on the season. And to keep flies out. Our dog generally reacts noisily when anyone other then my wife and I enter the house. I have no idea why her bedroom door opened and closed. That's just one of the mysteries of living in a really old house.

Our local pier is haunted I'm told but I've never seen anything weird .. me and the Mrs watched some of this being filmed .. it's not very exciting if I'm being honest.

I had an interesting experience today. I had to run my wife's store which is located roughly ten moles from our home. It is situated in another old, small, town.

I arrived about 10:15 am to open. The official open hours are 11 am to 5 pm. We try to get in a bit early to take care of opening procedures. My wife was having a badly swollen leg and needed to stay off it. So I would be running the store
alone.

The morning went uneventfully and it being so near Christmas, we had lots of customers. A friend came in and gave me a break in the later afternoon so I could grab a sandwich for lunch.

Closing time came around and our customer base faded into the streets for home. My volunteer had left by 3 :eek:o pm and I was totally aloe in the store At about 4:50 I began bringing merchandise we had displayed outside inside. Next I turned out the unnecessary lights inside the store. At this point I heard, not faintly, but very loudly someone walking on a wooden floor with very heavy boots. Only the main showroom has wooden floors the rest are concrete. At that point I was in the back showroom and I hurriedly moved to the front showroom wondering who on earth had come in so near closing. There was no one in sight. There is nowhere a person of any size might hide. The walking stopped. I checked all the rooms anyway. There was no one around. I decided to pay the ;av a visit before I leave for the day. While I was in there the walking sounded again. This time sounding like it was coming up the center isle of the main showroom. I hurriedly made my way back to the main showroom (the is in the rear of the store). By the time I reach to main showroom, again no sign of anyone. BTW I locked the door before going back to the lav. No one was in sight anywhere and the only car in the parking lot was mine.

So here we go again. Ghost? Or a more logical explanation.

Back