• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Most Haunted Places In Your Home Town

:)

The village I grew up in is right out of a traditional creepy British village textbook. Remote church, only two roads in and out, both through deep forest, historic legends, deer calling like shrieking victims in the night. I grew adept at driving in and out at night without using my rear mirror or shifting my eyes off of the straight-ahead view.
I thought you were Scottish. :huh:

I get the impression that the most interesting paranormal sites in Worthing are not within the town itself but various areas just outside it, i.e. Chanctonbury Ring and Clapham Woods. My own recent possible experience on the bus looks to be the only ghost sighting in the town in a while, which is a strange in a town that seems so dead most of the time...

Cromer Pier is meant to occasionally have phantoms strolling up and down the place. I've been on the pier on hundreds of occasions at all times of the year and for all sorts of reasons and never experienced anything spooky .. in fact, our flat window overlooked the pier .. one of my mates died 'tombstoning' off the pier about 5 years ago, the plaque dedicated to him is on one of the groins directly to Yvette's left in her opening shot in this below video. It was a bit uncomfortable gently explaining to the tourist why it might upset the locals that they were filming the RNLI rushing about that day. Griff's body was found washed up the next morning hanging over the same groin that now has his dedication on it. Me and the Mrs watched some of this below episode of the TV show being filmed although no one except the cast and crew were allowed on the pier itself. The over acting starts at about the 20 minute mark if you want to skip that ..

The Red Lion Hotel overlooking the pier is a different story though ... 'she' likes young men and is occasionally spotted as a shadow being .. I saw her myself one night, I 'lived in' for nearly two years as a night porter there. It's posher now then when I worked there ..

http://www.redlioncromer.co.uk/

Last edited:
Interesting statement. Please extend to description of the experience and feel very free to embelish if necessary. We love that shit.
'She' was a perfectly formed woman walking past an open door way that I was looking at directly at the time. This wasn't a 'seen out of the corner of your eyes so probably bull shit illusion', I just happened to be looking directly in that direction, admittedly late at night. My brain didn't compute why she was only a dense shadow at the time, the lighting in the narrow corridor definitely couldn't have created that effect. She was roughly the same size as my female boss and looked in a bit of a hurry so I moved around to the only cut off point to avoid missing her and there was no one anywhere with absolutely no room or time for anyone to hide.

I can only describe what I saw as a mixture of a human female figure shape that was mat black paper non reflective coloured walking past and I suppose say she moved like an animated character from the A-HA take on me animated video .. a stupid sounding comparison I know but I definitely saw her and she was solid in form.

Prior to this, and I don't know if this is connected, one of my friends was testing a new mobile phone by taking a random picture of a corner of the room we were sitting in then said he'd photographed a shadow shaped body .. then lost the photo, he admitted only because he didn't understand how the phone worked yet .. I was sat next to him when he told me this. At the end of my shift, I walked up the grand stair case of the hotel to get into my inner door night porters flat. My mate was waiting outside and told me that he saw a strong shadow of someone walking up the stairs behind me (through big stained glass windows). He was in the car park waiting for me to finish so we could have a few beers. Obviously it was only a repeat shadow of me as it was low lighting inside so I didn't really pay it much thought ..

My experience of seeing the shadow woman walking past the door happened at the end of this tale so he wouldn't have been pre armed with the knowledge to play a prank. I suppose his prior comment could have influenced me to see a jet black female shape walking past a door although I didn't take his experiences seriously enough to dwell on it then ...

I was in my same flat (same hotel) a few months later when I got a call from Kerry at reception .. a few local ghost event organisers had been asking questions and she wanted to know if I'd like to come down stairs to talk to them so I did. To cut a long story shorter, the next time they came round was hush hush because my boss didn't want bad publicity so I gave them an un official tour.

One woman claimed (modestly in tone) to be a psychic. I got the distinct impression they weren't just trying to blag me into sorting our place out as the next venue for there ghost tours .. they rarely even looked at me.

Amongst a few details, I was told by this woman I'd never met before that there was a ghost of a female, she lived here and 'Billy' the night porter was her rock when she was waiting for her husband to come home from the war. That was why 'she' liked me I was told. I hadn't told this psychic woman anything about our previous experiences.

I probably told Kerry at some point but I can't remember to be honest. Maybe this woman scooped the info from Kerry and built up a con act .....

The woman walking past the doorway in my plain sight is the one I'm finding the hardest to explain away.

Thank you for your candour, Swifty. And how did you feel when you saw the apparition? Was it a recognition of something that shouldn't be or merely a regular everyday double-take? You seemed to have taken it in stride.

Thank you for your candour, Swifty. And how did you feel when you saw the apparition? Was it a recognition of something that shouldn't be or merely a regular everyday double-take? You seemed to have taken it in stride.
Thank you skinny and when I saw the woman I didn't feel anything other than "Shit! ... why's my boss here and why is she rushing around?" ... it wasn't until after I realised it was impossible for anyone to have been there that ... I was more intrigued to tell the truth, not frightened, I don't know why I felt that way but the black 'cut out' woman shape definitely walked past that door way, from right to left as I was looking at it. I never felt frightened when I was there. I always felt a bit spooked out for some reason in the restaurant after lock down, the same psychic woman also told me a woman had once fallen down the stairs that are located next to the restaurant but didn't die from it. My direct vision happened about 10 foot away from that revelation ...

I realise that when you work long hours in a Victorian hotel and are a tired barman sat drinking a pint and it's night time, your imagination can play tricks on you. That shadow ghost woman came out of the blue though and was very vivid. I'll never be able to prove if it wasn't just that I was tired. I don't think so, I've been tired before and never seen anything like that before.

Last edited:
'She' came out of the doorway on the far left of this picture (with the white light shining through the window), I tried to cut 'my boss' off by rushing through the doorway in the centre of this picture .. and no one was in the receptionist's office on the middle left of this picture. I was sat at the bar facing the direction this pic's been taken from.
red lion hotel.jpg

edit: I didn't take this pic, I found it online .... and I didn't see 'her' in the location of this picture .. it was through a doorway further left behind the 'white light shine through' doorway .. I should have found my boss or 'her' exactly here about 5 seconds later.

Last edited:
So real you could almost smell it. I get it mostly. I imagine its like seeing something digital right in front of your eyes. Perhaps that's what it is, digital. I'm on the verge of something similar myself. Since I went onto anti-deps I'm getting closer to the apparitions. Dreams and waking are slightly blending for me currently. I strongly feel my zone of experience will be away from buildings and infrastructure. I talk to the air out there, by myself of course. There are people in the atmosphere out there in the Isolation. They haven't shown themselves physically yet, but they call me. They're friendly.

So real you could almost smell it. I get it mostly. I imagine its like seeing something digital right in front of your eyes. Perhaps that's what it is, digital. I'm on the verge of something similar myself. Since I went onto anti-deps I'm getting closer to the apparitions. Dreams and waking are slightly blending for me currently. I strongly feel my zone of experience will be away from buildings and infrastructure. I talk to the air out there, by myself of course. There are people in the atmosphere out there in the Isolation. They haven't shown themselves physically yet, but they call me. They're friendly.
Say Hi from me mate ..

My wife and myself went to Manchester today to have a noz around the Science & Industry Museum and have a nice lunch. On the way from Albert Square we passed what was once a pub, upstairs used to be a church (the one that was featured on Most Haunted). I've tried to get up there in the past but to no avail.
I noticed that it is now a German bar and restaurant called Schloss (or something similar). I was surprised to see that upstairs is open. There were tech crews from a band taking stuff upstairs. It would be interesting to see up there someday. Not my home town, but allegedly haunted. I know that the staff from the pub in its previous incarnation didn't like having to go up there.

I get the impression that the most interesting paranormal sites in Worthing are not within the town itself but various areas just outside it, i.e. Chanctonbury Ring and Clapham Woods. My own recent possible experience on the bus looks to be the only ghost sighting in the town in a while, which is a strange in a town that seems so dead most of the time...

Happy New Year fellow Fortean fans!

A few months after Clapham Woods featured on Most Haunted, I had a day off work during the week and decided to drive the 40 miles or so south to explore them for myself.

It was broad daylight, around 14:00 if I recall. There was no-one else around. Initially, the main track through the woods didn't feel at all spooky. I was maybe two or three hundred yards inside the woods, far enough for any traffic noise to have disappeared and the large trees formed a cathedral-like canopy far above my head, when I spotted a natural break in the trees alongside the track to my left and I decided to head that way. I found myself in a roughly circular glade maybe 20 yards in diameter, with one large tree in the centre. I walked around it clockwise but, when I got back to where I thought was the point at which I had entered the glade, I was unable to find the gap in the trees leading back to the main track. I retraced my steps anti-clockwise and found a small gap on the other side of the glade, which I pushed through and eventually found a narrow path which I followed to the right and it eventually led back to the main track.

I do have some photos on my hard drive somewhere which showed some slightly odd-looking vine-like appendages dangling from the upper branches of that central tree. I will revisit my photos when I can and post any which look interesting.

When I had reached the far side of the woods, which peter out into some rather mundane farmland where sheep were grazing, I headed back along the main track, without taking any further detours. I was, though, completely unable to spot the entrance to the glade I had entered earlier and which should have now been on my right.

Not enormously Fortean, I'll grant you, but a genuine example of how easy it is to become disorientated in dense, ancient woodland. Anyone with an interest in Forteana would do well to visit Clapham Woods.

South of Berkeley (pronounced locally as BURK-lee), is Oakland and this has to be near the top of the creepy list if true.

Of course some patches of Oakland are scary on their own, and this area whispers, "there's nothing for you here."

From a thread 5 years ago, here's the story of the Clarke Mansion.
http://forum.forteantimes.com/index...fornia-the-clarke-mansion.46747/#post-1152790

I've never been to Oakland, but my husband got lost there once. He approached a police officer to ask for directions, and the cop nearly jumped out of his skin. He thought "well, this is a bad sign!"

H. did describe the area he was in as eerily desolate.

Clapham Woods and The Friends of Hecate pop up in The Black Alchemist by Andrew Collins as well, great book but with the benefit of time and cynicism, probably complete tosh. I've had a wander myself, it is certainly an odd feeling place, but then I find a lot of dense woodland to be mildly disconcerting. It's easy to forget when you're used to the sanitised and well pathed New Forest that natural woodland can be so confusing to the modern eye.

If you're down that way, the equally odd Chanctonbury Ring is worth a visit. This appears to be an active site of neo-pagan worship and again there certainly is an odd atmosphere.

As far as I know Southend-on-Sea - where I grew up - is one of the _least_ haunted places on Earth.
I live in Southend, have done all my life and we've never been visited by Yvette Fielding and the Most Haunted crew, so you're probably right. The Cluniac priory (Priory Park) is supposedly haunted by Monks, and for years the guide based in the old museum next to the priory showed visiting kids photo's of the ghosts, but eventually one of my pals was employed there and yes, they were all fakes. I was joking about Most Haunted by the way, what they have proved over the years is that nothing, anywhere, is haunted.

Clapham Woods and The Friends of Hecate pop up in The Black Alchemist by Andrew Collins as well, great book but with the benefit of time and cynicism, probably complete tosh. I've had a wander myself, it is certainly an odd feeling place, but then I find a lot of dense woodland to be mildly disconcerting. It's easy to forget when you're used to the sanitised and well pathed New Forest that natural woodland can be so confusing to the modern eye.

If you're down that way, the equally odd Chanctonbury Ring is worth a visit. This appears to be an active site of neo-pagan worship and again there certainly is an odd atmosphere.

I've been to both places quite a few times, and they're both pretty atmospheric, agreed. I remember my dog at the time wouldn't go within the trees at Chanctonbury. Absolutely refused, and he wasn't a dog that sppoked easily.

There's also the disappearing man that my parents saw there, which I've already mentioned in another thread.

The path from Rawcliff Rd parallel with the lines towards Walton
Station once had a bad reputation, people spoke of a feeling of
being watched and dread, there used to be some disused railway
cottages along there. I imagine things have changed by now,
anyone live round there fancy a walk and report back?

The path from Rawcliff Rd parallel with the lines towards Walton
Station once had a bad reputation, people spoke of a feeling of
being watched and dread, there used to be some disused railway
cottages along there. I imagine things have changed by now,
anyone live round there fancy a walk and report back?
I find a Rawcliffe Road near Walton Station on Merseyside. Is that where you mean? If so, sorry, I'm too far away to check it out.

• Yes sorry missed the "e" and didn't give a area.
I don't get down that way but if I do will have a look
likely nothing to it but I always wonder how these places
get a reputation.

I find a Rawcliffe Road near Walton Station on Merseyside. Is that where you mean? If so, sorry, I'm too far away to check it out.
According to google maps, Rawcliffe Road runs on almost into Walton Park Cemetery. I merely offer that as an observation. The entrance onto the footpath is just before the railway bridge, and is none too inviting, but I guess security fencing and graffiti can do that to a place. Sadly the streetview car couldn't fit through the style thingy at the end and afford us a virtual stroll down the path itself.

According to google maps, Rawcliffe Road runs on almost into Walton Park Cemetery. I merely offer that as an observation. The entrance onto the footpath is just before the railway bridge, and is none too inviting, but I guess security fencing and graffiti can do that to a place. Sadly the streetview car couldn't fit through the style thingy at the end and afford us a virtual stroll down the path itself.
This stile thing?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Rawcliffe Rd, Liverpool, Merseyside L9 1AN/@53.4545326,-2.9670767,3a,90y,12.46h,79.12t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sezZqJQJbsH_oLqkKiw3vvA!2e0!6s//geo1.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=ezZqJQJbsH_oLqkKiw3vvA&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=52.033928&pitch=0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x487b23c5ba8a6e79:0x57c690624430258

Edit: Ah, I just noticed you added a link.

Back