• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Most Haunted Places In Your Home Town

As much as I wish we still have open fireplaces; my insurance company refused insurance until they were all closed off. We have several chimneys in this place. The bats exit areas of the roof and the bees have two exit points between exterior wall bricks. Sitting on the upper tier of our double porch; you have an excellent view of the departing bats. As I am not much of a drinker (my doctor and I both recommend one 5 oz blackberry wine at bedtime, if needed). So I cannot say it enhances the bats foraging antics.

Bats're great though, do we have a thread on them?

When I once bragged to a new neighbour that we had them living nearby, he didn't believe me; one immediately buzzed him.

My main gripe with bats is that many of them carry a form of rabies. I found out the hard way. I got nicked by a bat; didn't even draw blood. The local health department insisted I bring the creature in for testing. The bloody beast tested positive for rabies. I had to have the run of shots, which, by the way, are not as complicated or painful as they once were. Then I was told that bats are so very sociable the entire colony could be infected. Bat rabies are not violent like typical rabies. Just as deadly, you just go to sleep rater than become violent or so I was told.

Stephen King's Cujo would have been a very different book if the dog had fallen asleep after getting bitten by the rabid bat.

BTW, one thing doctors do not tell their patients. Unless the vaccine has improved over the past five or so years, it is only effective about 60% of the time. Don't mess with bats.

Preston Manor
Park View Hotel
The Stag public House
Stanmer Park (wildly under reported)
The Druids Head PH
Royal Pavillion
Theatre Royal

All obviously in dear old Brighton.

Preston Manor
Park View Hotel
The Stag public House
Stanmer Park (wildly under reported)
The Druids Head PH
Royal Pavillion
Theatre Royal

All obviously in dear old Brighton.

I didn't know about the Stag, where is it?

There's also the Black Horse in Rottingdean, supposedly haunted by none other than Cary Grant!

No rabies over here in the UK. There are bats in my local belfry, and in many of the barns, on summer evenings it's like the opening credits of a horror film.

One poor sod got it a few years back from a bat just east of Lancaster
so it must be about.

I didn't know about the Stag, where is it?

There's also the Black Horse in Rottingdean, supposedly haunted by none other than Cary Grant!

Rottingdean is a whole other town fella. There's plenty going on over there. The Swan by the town pond is a case in point.

The Stag is just off Eastern Road almost opposite Brighton College in Kemptown.

The Park View was my local for years and it was relatively quiet on the paranormal front until Jim Liddle took over the licence. His family were practically hounded out of the flat. Apports, moving wardrobes, doors locking them in rooms, his mum confronted by full apparition on the stairs up from the bar.

There was a paranormal investigator came in to write it up and their account appears in the very well written Haunted Brighton and Hove.

It's now a real hipster real ale gourmet food gaff..no self respecting ghost would bother with it these days.

My main gripe with bats is that many of them carry a form of rabies. I found out the hard way. I got nicked by a bat; didn't even draw blood. The local health department insisted I bring the creature in for testing. The bloody beast tested positive for rabies. I had to have the run of shots, which, by the way, are not as complicated or painful as they once were. Then I was told that bats are so very sociable the entire colony could be infected. Bat rabies are not violent like typical rabies. Just as deadly, you just go to sleep rater than become violent or so I was told.

I have two bat instances in my life.

1. I was a Boy Scout camping in Wales and one of my six was fly fishing in the river next to our field at dusk, he flicked his lure back to cast and as he flung forward a bat took the hook in flight and splashed into the river. We retrieved said little mammal a bit soggy but otherwise OK. It gave him a good nip when freeing him.

2. As a heavy metal loving teen I had long hair, I was sitting on Worthing beach at twilight next to a breakwater near the pier and as soon as I stood up WHACK a bat flew into my curly locks and got hopelessly trapped. I was making my move on my girlfriend at that moment but all romance was lost when she spent about 10 minutes untangling said bat from my flowing Barnet.

Turns out there was a massive colony of Bats living under there.

Last edited:
Everyone seems to think that bats have really bad eyesight and rely on echo location to manoeuvre in the dark but when we had one flying about in the bathroom it seemed intent on escaping through the mirror, which it wouldn't have done if it was using it's ears. I had to switch out the light and wait for it to land on my jumper before helping it out of the window.
Can anyone remember hearing bat's squeaks when they were young? It's something you're not supposed to be able to hear as an adult. I don't hear anything from them now but I remember being able to feel the sound on the back of my throat when I was a child.

I can remember having bats in the neighbourhood when I was a kid. It was easy to test in the evening by throwing a stone right up into the air and bats would try to catch it.

I have a home made bat detector, it works but they have to be close,
on the other hand it detects the radar on ships up to 2 miles away.
Anyone lives near Garstang north of Preston the river behind the main st is alive with
bats on a nice night.

The Stag is just off Eastern Road almost opposite Brighton College in Kemptown.

Ah yes I know the one - I used to live just round the corner from there but I never ventured in. It always looked closed!

Ah yes I know the one - I used to live just round the corner from there but I never ventured in. It always looked closed!

It's a mad little pub that one. It's sitting there, obviously one of the older pubs in Brighton, low timbers etc. But it's now in a kind of post 1950s urban setting all squat and dumpy with a massive Bingo hall diagonally across from it in the old Kemptown rail yard.

It's very haunted. Apparently the main spectre being "leather apron" a former landlord with a bad attitude.

I remember the odd thing was that, at precisely 5pm without fail, the door to the saloon bar would open and all the regulars would chorus "hello Jack" as this was the tradition in there at that time (circa 1989)

I recall that the Stag dates to 1500s and was a smugglers pub long before Thomas Kemp built the whole suburb around it.

It got a really bad rep in the later 80s and 90s with drugs from Whitehawk being the issue and basically turned into a massive dive. Shame.

I have a home made bat detector, it works but they have to be close,
on the other hand it detects the radar on ships up to 2 miles away.
Anyone lives near Garstang north of Preston the river behind the main st is alive with
bats on a nice night.

Really..how, or rather why would you need a "bat detector" surely bats are fairly innocuous little blighters?

If your device is a radar detector..do you radar detect the bats? How does said device work? Are bats causing issues in Preston?

Bats, generally, are only a problem when they come into your living quarters. I think it is by accident as they seem to have no purpose there. I've tried humane methods of getting them out of the house but open windows and doors don't seem to work. I use a tennis racket to whack them down then carry them out. The colony has cut way down on our local mosquito population. I just wish they'd house some where else.

I suspect the parade of bats leaving here in the twilight was one of the main reasons local children was afraid of the place and called it the "haunted house". The house was empty for 8 years before I bought it. It was three or four years before Halloween Trick or Treaters would even stop here on beggars night. Now, after living here since '79, we average between 150 and 400 trick or treat ghosties.

This is the third day of rain here. I spent the days at my wife's store. Nothing unusual occurred until today. On three separate occasions about an hour apart we experienced a tremendous crash. Twice we had customers in the store; at the other time it was just the wife and I. Keep in mind this s not a huge store. There are two showrooms, a backroom, a very small office just off the second showroom and a relatively small workroom also just off the second showroom.

On each occasion all areas were carefully searched and nothing appeared to be out of place. The racket was loud and one would think whatever caused it would be easily evident. Like I said it has been raining for three days, however, we have not experienced and thunder. Actually the noise didn't sound like thunder anyway. The noise was metallic sounding like something falling off a wall and hitting the floor.

Admittedly our backroom and storage area is not the neatest it could be. But anything large would certainly be noticeable. Probably some mundane explanation. I just haven't found it yet. The customers also heard the crashes.

There are plenty of haunted place in India but one which i have heard about the most is "Bhangarh Fort" . It is also called as the most place place in india.

This is the third day of rain here. I spent the days at my wife's store. Nothing unusual occurred until today. On three separate occasions about an hour apart we experienced a tremendous crash. Twice we had customers in the store; at the other time it was just the wife and I. Keep in mind this s not a huge store. There are two showrooms, a backroom, a very small office just off the second showroom and a relatively small workroom also just off the second showroom. On each occasion all areas were carefully searched and nothing appeared to be out of place. The racket was loud and one would think whatever caused it would be easily evident. Like I said it has been raining for three days, however, we have not experienced and thunder. Actually the noise didn't sound like thunder anyway. The noise was metallic sounding like something falling off a wall and hitting the floor. Admittedly our backroom and storage area is not the neatest it could be. But anything large would certainly be noticeable. Probably some mundane explanation. I just haven't found it yet. The customers also heard the crashes.
Thought of looking on the roof?

Actually yes. An elevated highway runs past the rear of my property. Driving up on this road, which does not have heavy traffic except during the county Fair, I can get a clear view of the entire roof of my house. So far no chimney's have fallen or lost brick. That, however, was a good suggestion.

I got ahead of myself didn't I. You were referring to the noise at the wife's store. This is a whole new ball game. Getting onto that store's roof is a major challenge. However, all chimneys that once adorned that 1800's building were long ago removed and roofed over. Only a small vent pipe for the furnace is now in place and I have no idea what else could crash like that without obvious damage.

There are plenty of haunted place in India but one which i have heard about the most is "Bhangarh Fort" . It is also called as the most place place in india.

I read a story some years ago about a hospital in Mumbai that had the ghost of a British officer terrorising the patients. Pretty hairy tale as I recall. The guy sounded like a total psychopath. Might have been in FT but not entirely sure.

Not my home town but .. I knew that San Francisco's Golden Gate Bride was a suicide jumper's hot spot, I hadn't heard about the ghost jumper sightings ..

I read a story some years ago about a hospital in Mumbai that had the ghost of a British officer terrorising the patients. Pretty hairy tale as I recall. The guy sounded like a total psychopath. Might have been in FT but not entirely sure.

Idi Amin (NCO) served in Kenya as a British Soldier, as did murderer Donald Neilson (the Black Panther).

Back