• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Most Haunted Places In Your Home Town

Older British officers were sometimes so uptight that we joked they had a broom handle rammed up their posteriors. But they knew how to run a war. When I say "older" I'm referring to the older generations. I'm not familiar with todays Brit officers.

I got ahead of myself didn't I. You were referring to the noise at the wife's store. This is a whole new ball game. Getting onto that store's roof is a major challenge. However, all chimneys that once adorned that 1800's building were long ago removed and roofed over. Only a small vent pipe for the furnace is now in place and I have no idea what else could crash like that without obvious damage.
Maybe a large bird fell onto the roof?

Would you be referring to a very large metal and brick bird? he crashes were metallic and rocky sounding. The biggest birds around here are Canadian geese and wild turkeys. Neither of which would be large enough to make that much racket. I suspect they would simply "THUD".

Well my shop is well stocked for ghosts. I’ve heard rumours the Boots is a bit freaky although it’s a new building built in the shape of an old Inn on the spot. I’ve posted on here an interesting picture from a pub’s basement with what looks like water but there was no water down there. The oldest pub in town is supposed to be haunted. And then of course there’s this

Our shop has a culvert in the basement and I do wonder if the presence of water can help things. It probably goes up the high street too.

PS I think most of what they found on MH was :bs:

I have been told by several sources that paranormal happenings can be activated by a very near water source. My house was built over a spring in 1857. The spring was useful as a cooling station for butter and milk and anything else needing refrigeration. In 1857 refrigerators had not been invented. Numerous attempts to shut off this natural spring have only been partially successful. I have a wet, damp basement. Unfortunately the spring water today carries several pollutants and is no longer useable as a water source. It constantly runs into a drain on site.

To the best of my knowledge there is no running water near the old store (circa 1840) my wife runs.

Cute girls, really dorky guys but it appeared to be more a style show than a ghost hunt.

The weather here in Ohio has changed from cold 40's to high 80's. That's typical for this state. It goes from winter to full summer in three days or less. This year we had roughly a three day spring. I'm hardly at the house enough to detect anything paranormal. We spend most of our time at my wife's store and on the road. But we had a really major crash at the store. Both my wife and I heard it as well as a couple of shoppers. Sounded like something major fell off the wall taking out merchandise below it. Even the shoppers joined in looking for the catastrophe. But everything was in order. Nothing out of place. The crash definitely sounded like it was inside and very close by. But nothing was found.

The store has a very simple layout. There is the main showroom with home décor, curtains, candles, rugs, etc. Directly off of it is room number two. It is "L" shaped and features whatever strikes my whimsy from pictures, cross bows, archery supplies, collectible toys, wildlife plates and Rockwell plates, and general merchandise that might be more attractive to the male population. Directly behind this room is the backroom which is totally closed off from the main store. Sound does not seem to carry well from this backroom. I have dropped glass windows and vases but the sound did not carry out into the store.

We get these gosh awful crashes from time to time but only once did we find a cause. It is unnerving when it occurs but we have gotten to the point where we really don't expect to find anything amiss. Nonetheless, when it occurs you do check it out.

I have been told by several sources that paranormal happenings can be activated by a very near water source. My house was built over a spring in 1857. The spring was useful as a cooling station for butter and milk and anything else needing refrigeration. In 1857 refrigerators had not been invented. Numerous attempts to shut off this natural spring have only been partially successful. I have a wet, damp basement. Unfortunately the spring water today carries several pollutants and is no longer useable as a water source. It constantly runs into a drain on site.

To the best of my knowledge there is no running water near the old store (circa 1840) my wife runs.

Out here in the antipodes, the Old People have a healthy respect for water, and its propensity for being associated with spirit beings.

A few decades ago it wasn't unusual for the Old Ones to warn their young girls to stay away from specific pools and billabongs for the simple reason that that is where baby spirits come from. If they sat down near the water, or drank from it, according to their cosmology, there was a good chance that they'd quicken a baby.

I have an old friend who won't just walk up to water but will raise his voice, or throw a pebble in the water to let the water people know that he's coming - they can be a little 'cheeky' if caught unaware, he reckons, and can cause a bit of strife.

And then we have the old views on springs and water sources in the UK with all sorts of associations with things like the Kelpies that our Albanach bretheren associate with their myth and legend - and possible dire outcomes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_spirit

I have had numerous conversations with Mormons. They are very sensitive about water (rivers, streams, lakes, pools, etc) at certain times of the year. As for me; if the water is still or running slowly and not above my neck I'm not especially worried about it.

The village of Hambleton about 4 miles from here is supposed to be haunted by the ghost
of a friendly black dog, I have not seen it but do know 2 others that swear they have,
it walks at the side of people on Carr Lane but when they put there hand down to it
to tell it to go home it as gone.
I wounder if this as anything to do with Jack there is a memorial to him in the river wall
about a mile from there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ministry/5814285881

Some time ago I posted the above, now a few days ago I was driving on Carr lane I pass this way at least twice a week usually more and I notice a chap walking along, what caught my attention was that he appeared to be talking to something and was bending slightly to the left and reaching down as though to pat or control a dog, non of us in the car could see any sign of a dog or anything else but both agreed it did look as though that's what he was doing, maybe he could see something we couldn't or maybe he was just having a animated conversation on a hands free mobi.

Speaking of dogs. I've been having some weird episodes with what appears to be a 20 or 30lb black dog of undetermined breed; though it is a short hair. Or perhaps I'm losing my mind in my old age. The thing is I've never experienced anything similar in the past.

I'm cleaning up in the bathroom. Our bathroom is rather large because it use to be bedroom for guests The room is perhaps about 14 by 18 feet. Twelve ft. ceilings. The room is well lit plus having large windows (one on the western side and one on the eastern side. The phenomena occurs both in the daylight and also after dark. At times I am seated when I catch a glimpse of a four footed shadow moving into an across the room. As soon as I look in the direction of the shadow, it disappears.

The shadow has occurred several times over the past two weeks. The shadow even occurred when my black schnauzer was in the room with me. She did not react, so I assume she didn't see it. The crazy point being that if I don't avert my eyes to this shadow it remains longer.

Once I saw its legs moving very naturally all the way across the room. At that point I was sure I had a true intruder. But as soon as I looked at it, it disappeared. This shadow dog has much longer legs than my schnauzer. but I have never seen the dogs body in other than a shadow. I put off writing about it figuring it was a mind-trick. But seeing the shadow cross the room on four legs Pretty much convinced me I had something beyond a mind-trick.

Except for this last episode the house has been pretty quiet So I guess we could have spooks galore and not know it. Shadow, my schnauzer is home most of the time but she's not talking. At least I think it has. Truth be told we aren't here much in the daylight hours with running my wife's store taking up most of the daylight hours. When we get home we're usually so pooped we turn in early.

I haven't found a spy camera yet that I can operate. So setting up possible capture photos is not at present possible.

In my home town there is a house that used to be a bar. It is haunted by a ghost of an Irish lad who was telling a tall tale and ended it by saying "and may God strike me dead if I tell a lie", who promptly fell over dead. I am acquainted with the family who live there. They say that the ghost performs pranks such as hiding the childrens' homework and flipping religious iconography around to face the wall. One friend who visited them arrived to find the door open, and called out to announce themselves (they were expected), then entered to find and the house empty and abandoned, with not a stick of furniture in it. They wandered out again to find a member of the household approaching with drinks, who let the bamboozled friend into the house where a happy get-together was going on, and the house was fully furnished. It was as if they had momentarily wandered into the twilight zone, they said.

Fifteen years ago, no problem. Today I know no children. But your solution to the problem is correct. I'm a twentieth Century man trying to live in the twenty first century.

The shadow-dog episodes have almost stopped. I still haven't figured out what causes them. The last episode was night before last; the shadow came out of the southern wall shelves and toward the upstairs hall leading from the bathroom. It traveled right past me. I did not look toward it and it continued until it went behind a short wall just inside the doorway. I know that had I looked the shadow would have disappeared. I was conscience of four long legs on a nondescript shadow body but it had ears like a German shepherd. I wonder if I'm just seeing things. But why black dogs and why only in the bathroom.

The shadow-dog episodes have almost stopped. I still haven't figured out what causes them. The last episode was night before last; the shadow came out of the southern wall shelves and toward the upstairs hall leading from the bathroom. It traveled right past me. I did not look toward it and it continued until it went behind a short wall just inside the doorway. I know that had I looked the shadow would have disappeared. I was conscience of four long legs on a nondescript shadow body but it had ears like a German shepherd. I wonder if I'm just seeing things. But why black dogs and why only in the bathroom.

Have you had your eyes checked recently, Brig? Could it be Charles Bonnet syndrome?

It's been almost two years since I had my eyes checked. I'm due to go again in April. Yes I'm ancient I'm pushing 80 in less than a year. I've had cateract surgery in one eye and the other will soon need it. However, eyesight at the last exam was still 20-20 though some fogging has occurred in the eye with a cataract. But none of this explains why these black dog mists occur only in the upstairs bath and why black dogs? Lunacy generally conjours Pink Elephants (joke). I am not familiar with Charles Bonnet syndrome. It all seems a phase anyway. A few weeks back I saw these dark canine shapes nearly daily, then they were occasional, now they have nearly stopped

Continued from above. When these shadows appear' turning your eyes toward them they vanish. As I said earlier on the last sighting I did not allow my gaze to go toward the shadow and it did NOT disappear but went out of sight behind a wall. Yes, I do own a black schnauzer, but she has been present on many of the episodes. She does not seem to take notice of them. She is definitely not the cause. Gee can a guy just go crazy in one room of his house?

It's been almost two years since I had my eyes checked. I'm due to go again in April. Yes I'm ancient I'm pushing 80 in less than a year. I've had cateract surgery in one eye and the other will soon need it. However, eyesight at the last exam was still 20-20 though some fogging has occurred in the eye with a cataract. But none of this explains why these black dog mists occur only in the upstairs bath and why black dogs? Lunacy generally conjours Pink Elephants (joke). I am not familiar with Charles Bonnet syndrome. It all seems a phase anyway. A few weeks back I saw these dark canine shapes nearly daily, then they were occasional, now they have nearly stopped
Charles Bonnet syndrome is a possible side effect of macular degeneration.

Seeing large black dogs (and spiders) is also a common symptom of alcohol withdrawell .. no idea why but those are the two most common reported hallucinations.

I've been tested several times for macular degeneration. Thank the good Lord, I've shown no signs of it yet. Swifty, I do not drink alcohol unless advised to do so by my doctor. Laugh all you want but my total alcoholic consumption is less than 2 bottles per year . Besides that I doubt macular degeneration occurs in only one room of my house.

I've been tested several times for macular degeneration. Thank the good Lord, I've shown no signs of it yet. Swifty, I do not drink alcohol unless advised to do so by my doctor. Laugh all you want but my total alcoholic consumption is less than 2 bottles per year . Besides that I doubt macular degeneration occurs in only one room of my house.
I hope I haven't offended you Brig, I wasn't calling you an 'alcy' or anything, just noticing a shared anomaly experience and I take on board that it is weird that it's only happening in only one location, your bathroom. To expand on the black dog thing and going off on a wild tangent, I wonder if there's any correlation between phantom black dog sightings in folklore and your experiences? .. doesn't make those any less real of course.

Actually most people laugh when I say the doctor prescribed wine. Fact is the guy picks and makes his own blackberry wine. He says the state and feds are so silly about using anything stronger than asprin that he frequently prescribes a shot of wine at bedtime to relax tense patients. Not that the medical profession advises it, they don't, but it works for him. Often works for me. You just use it in moderation. No more than 5 ozs recommended. BTW I do not drink it in the bathroom,lol.. I see the black dogs most any time of the day, if I'm home. But they were more frequent, generally, after 5 pm.

I did just wonder if it might be a combination of eyesight failing and the bathroom being the smallest, darkest room in the house? And a particular combination of lighting/shadows being interpreted by your brain as a dog. Because you have a dog, a low-down, dark shadow moving in a way that a dog would move might cause your brain to conjure up the 'image' of a dog. The fact that the shadow *isn't* the exact same shape and size as your schnauzer might be why your brain makes it into a GSD. Have you ever owned a GSD type dog?

Back