• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Most Horrible Day Ever?

Gizmos Mama

Ephemeral Spectre
So, as I mentioned in another thread, I am in the process of buying a boat. It is on the west coast, in Washington, USA. I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Just about 1000 kms away. I drove out Thursday/Friday, to do the sea trial, (test drive and inspection, basically). Everything was great with the boat! Stayed over night in the States, and was going to power through and drive all the way back in one shot. So far, so good.

Well, did I mention that 800 km of that drive is over the rocky mountains? The weather turned bad about 1/4 of the way back, like really bad driving, with driving rain, turning to snow as you go up in elevation. Crappy. I decide to stop and get fuel. Outside the gas station is a young lad, stranded. He offers to pitch in for gas, and is going to Calgary. I don't usually, (ever!) pick up hitch hikers, but something just said this guy needs a ride. Off we go.

4 hours later, my ass needs a break, and my bladder needs to be emptied, so pit stop. He's in the bathroom for a while, but I'd didn't think anything of it. We grab a snack and hit the road for the most difficult and dangerous part of the road. Hair pin corners, with cliff on one side and nothing on the other. Semis on coming on the narrow road. NO SHOULDERS AT ALL.

We head out, and I'm right in the thick of this winding road. Buddy is talking away, and all of a sudden, he starts slurring his words, really bad. I look over, his eyes are rolling back, and he is hardly breathing! I start shaking him, and yelling that he has to wake up. I pinch his arm sooo hard. Nothing. Now he is turning blue.

Holy Effing Crap! I'm pretty sure he is overdosing, and is dying beside me in my car. And I can't stop anywhere on this road.

I finally find a chain up area, (like a pull out for semis to put chains and break check). There is one trucker there, just getting back into his truck. I lay on the horn, and pull in front of him so he can't pull out. I wave my hands and yell I need help, while I pull the guy out of the truck and onto the ground. He is blue, no pulse, nothing. I have taken first aid training about 10 times in my life, so I do know CPR, but was a bit panicked.

I knew he needed oxygen, but didn't have a mask. I had to do it anyway. He was dying. I know the risk of infection is low (no blood transfer) but I hope I don't regret that later. Started chest compressions. Couldn't keep count, because the groaning he was doing as I was pressing his chest was freaking me out. After 2 rounds of 2 breaths and 30(ish) compressions, I could actually see his heart start pounding again.

Some other people started coming around, and a very nice couple of ski patrol girls saw from the other side of the highway, and turned around to help. I'm glad, because I wasn't sure what to do for a pulse, but not breathing, because I was totally blank on what FA says about that. Trucker says Ambulance is on the way. He's still not doing very good, pretty blue, and not taking regular full breaths.

Ambulance comes, gives him antidote, and gets him oxygenated again. He doesn't wake up before they take him away, though. I ask what I should do about the mouth to mouth, and they say go on your way, but stop in at the hospital at home. I sit in the truck and shake and cry, from all the adrenaline. I just watched someone die in front of me. And I helped bring them back. WTF?

I get back on the road, still pretty shaken, and the weather is getting even worse. Snow is building on the road. Finally get out of the mountains, and then it is a total whiteout. Traffic slows. Traffic stops. On the main Highway across Canada. Highway is closed. Dozens of cars, trucks, buses in the ditch. Traffic backed up for tens of km, with no exits for 40 km.

Did I mention that because I jumped out so fast to rescue the guy, I left the truck running the whole time, using up fuel. Now I'm under a 1/4 tank, and even if traffic goes now, I'll barely make it to the next fill. Have to turn the truck off. Which makes ice form, which means i have to keep getting out to clear the wipers every time we inch ahead. Finally inch to the first exit, and crawl through the back roads. Get to the station on fumes. Fill up. Whew, that was close.

Now, I can get to the hospital, and get some advice on what I need to do in case he had something. Oh wait, Hospital is under construction, and I have to park far from Emerg. Slog through the more than ankle deep slush/snow, only to find my winter boots both have really bad leaks. Now I get to sit in emerg at 2:30 am, with soaked feet, and get tested for communicable diseases.

After driving/stuck in traffic for 18 hrs out of 24, I'm finally home 10 hours later than I planned, had no lunch or dinner, have passed through tired, and exhausted, and come out the other side. I'm worried for the guy. I'm concerned that it was too long before I could stop and give him a breath. I'm worried that because I gave him breaths, now I might have long term health consequences.

So I've typed this up, mostly because I need to let get it out, and nobody is awake for me to talk to.

I've also had some other (more Fortean) thoughts on what happened today, but will share those later, as I can't type anymore now.

FU, most horrible day ever!

Yup, what a day!
Absolutely brilliant work there, doing the resuscitation. If he doesn't pull through it's not because you let him down, you didn't, you did a sterling job.
I'm sure you'll be OK re infection, but you're covered anyway.

Get some rest!

Last edited:
OMG, Gizmos Mama!

Hope you recover from the stress.

That truly is a crazy day, but the best day ever.
You saved a life.

As for you having a disease, I very much doubt it.
Get tested for STI's in three months, but from a short period of contact with saliva only, the risk is very minimal.
I have worked in the catering industry, and you might be surprised how many sets of cutlery and glasses are not properly washed...yet nearly all of us eat in restaurants with no ill effect.

I would see my doctor anyway now, and see if there are some preventative drugs you can take in the meantime.

https://www.healthline.com/health/sexually-transmitted-diseases/std-from-kissing

Last edited:
What a day, hope you recover from what you've been through. It might be worth finding someone you can talk things over with to help come to terms with the events.

The hardest part is not being able to find out if he made it, as privacy concerns are only doubled because it happened in another province, and I don't even know his full name.

And none of the paramedics, (ok I get that, they are busy helping him), but no other fireman or emerg responder even asked my name.

I sadly feel like they probably see this many times a day, and to them it's routine, but it's petty traumatic to see some one dying beside you for "average" people.

So, as I mentioned in another thread, I am in the process of buying a boat. It is on the west coast, in Washington, USA. I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Just about 1000 kms away. I drove out Thursday/Friday, to do the sea trial, (test drive and inspection, basically). Everything was great with the boat! Stayed over night in the States, and was going to power through and drive all the way back in one shot. So far, so good.

Well, did I mention that 800 km of that drive is over the rocky mountains? The weather turned bad about 1/4 of the way back, like really bad driving, with driving rain, turning to snow as you go up in elevation. Crappy. I decide to stop and get fuel. Outside the gas station is a young lad, stranded. He offers to pitch in for gas, and is going to Calgary. I don't usually, (ever!) pick up hitch hikers, but something just said this guy needs a ride. Off we go.

4 hours later, my ass needs a break, and my bladder needs to be emptied, so pit stop. He's in the bathroom for a while, but I'd didn't think anything of it. We grab a snack and hit the road for the most difficult and dangerous part of the road. Hair pin corners, with cliff on one side and nothing on the other. Semis on coming on the narrow road. NO SHOULDERS AT ALL.

We head out, and I'm right in the thick of this winding road. Buddy is talking away, and all of a sudden, he starts slurring his words, really bad. I look over, his eyes are rolling back, and he is hardly breathing! I start shaking him, and yelling that he has to wake up. I pinch his arm sooo hard. Nothing. Now he is turning blue.

Holy Effing Crap! I'm pretty sure he is overdosing, and is dying beside me in my car. And I can't stop anywhere on this road.

I finally find a chain up area, (like a pull out for semis to put chains and break check). There is one trucker there, just getting back into his truck. I lay on the horn, and pull in front of him so he can't pull out. I wave my hands and yell I need help, while I pull the guy out of the truck and onto the ground. He is blue, no pulse, nothing. I have taken first aid training about 10 times in my life, so I do know CPR, but was a bit panicked.

I knew he needed oxygen, but didn't have a mask. I had to do it anyway. He was dying. I know the risk of infection is low (no blood transfer) but I hope I don't regret that later. Started chest compressions. Couldn't keep count, because the groaning he was doing as I was pressing his chest was freaking me out. After 2 rounds of 2 breaths and 30(ish) compressions, I could actually see his heart start pounding again.

Some other people started coming around, and a very nice couple of ski patrol girls saw from the other side of the highway, and turned around to help. I'm glad, because I wasn't sure what to do for a pulse, but not breathing, because I was totally blank on what FA says about that. Trucker says Ambulance is on the way. He's still not doing very good, pretty blue, and not taking regular full breaths.

Ambulance comes, gives him antidote, and gets him oxygenated again. He doesn't wake up before they take him away, though. I ask what I should do about the mouth to mouth, and they say go on your way, but stop in at the hospital at home. I sit in the truck and shake and cry, from all the adrenaline. I just watched someone die in front of me. And I helped bring them back. WTF?

I get back on the road, still pretty shaken, and the weather is getting even worse. Snow is building on the road. Finally get out of the mountains, and then it is a total whiteout. Traffic slows. Traffic stops. On the main Highway across Canada. Highway is closed. Dozens of cars, trucks, buses in the ditch. Traffic backed up for tens of km, with no exits for 40 km.

Did I mention that because I jumped out so fast to rescue the guy, I left the truck running the whole time, using up fuel. Now I'm under a 1/4 tank, and even if traffic goes now, I'll barely make it to the next fill. Have to turn the truck off. Which makes ice form, which means i have to keep getting out to clear the wipers every time we inch ahead. Finally inch to the first exit, and crawl through the back roads. Get to the station on fumes. Fill up. Whew, that was close.

Now, I can get to the hospital, and get some advice on what I need to do in case he had something. Oh wait, Hospital is under construction, and I have to park far from Emerg. Slog through the more than ankle deep slush/snow, only to find my winter boots both have really bad leaks. Now I get to sit in emerg at 2:30 am, with soaked feet, and get tested for communicable diseases.

After driving/stuck in traffic for 18 hrs out of 24, I'm finally home 10 hours later than I planned, had no lunch or dinner, have passed through tired, and exhausted, and come out the other side. I'm worried for the guy. I'm concerned that it was too long before I could stop and give him a breath. I'm worried that because I gave him breaths, now I might have long term health consequences.

So I've typed this up, mostly because I need to let get it out, and nobody is awake for me to talk to.

I've also had some other (more Fortean) thoughts on what happened today, but will share those later, as I can't type anymore now.

Absolutely well done, you reacted amazingly. Please don't beat yourself up worrying whether you didn't react quick enough, or didn't do enough, or whatever. You did more than enough. :) You did a lot more than many would do (I for sure could not have handled that situation), and you stayed calm enough to do what needed to be done. So you should be proud of that.

Also, try not to worry about the infection thing. I understand; I would worry, in your shoes, cos I'm an innate worrier. But as others have said you're probably at very little risk (if at all) and there's no point in fretting about it unless and until there is something concrete to worry about.

Well done Gizmos mama, you should be proud of what you have done, hope it turns out ok for him and i pray your results are clear.

Gizmos, you truly are awesome.

I feel humbled reading what you did. What a great human being you are, I'm privileged to 'know' you.

Please cherish yourself, it is well deserved.

Gizmos_Mama.jpg

First of all well done that was amazing!It sounds like it was "fate"that you picked that guy up.

Bloody hell what a nightmare story! It's like something out of a Tarantino movie. It sounds like you did everything you could for the guy. Full marks for that. Must've been horrific & traumatic.

It's be interesting to know what happened to him. If you knew what hospital he was taken to you might be able to find out..

[
Bloody hell what a nightmare story! It's like something out of a Tarantino movie.

UPDATE!!!!

Holy F*CK!!!
Hunck, You are a prophet, sir.
And my life is a f*cking Tarantino movie, for real.

This story just got WAY CRAZIER than it already was, if that is even possible.

So, I've been trying to find out what happened to him, but privacy laws are stupid, so no dice there. Period.

So, I was thinking over things he casually said during the drive and remembered enough that I found him. (Online, of course).

Ah, yeah, so... turns out this young guy of 25 has done time for 3 bank robberies, a HUGE credit card skimming scam and child porn, which is just the lowest of the low.

I don't even know what to say. I'm absolutely stunned, and goddamned disgusted, and really confused and angry.

Of all the people out there who deserve a second chance at life, I bring back a loser wanna be Al Capone. Yay, me.

I will admit that I actually feel I might regret saving this POS's wasted life. I try to ask myself, if I knew what I know, would I have done what I did? The answer is, I'm not actually sure the answer would be yes.

Does that make me a terrible person? Maybe I'm just angry right now, and I'll see that I did the right thing once I calm down.

I'm trying to see the positive, like, maybe this will be what turns his life around, and I was the one who gave him that second chance... but I doubt it. He's already OD'd at least once before, if the online gossip is true. I guess one positive is that he didn't murder me? Or that, as Lord Lucan mentioned, at least he wasn't alone when it happened.

It also makes me feel IN_F*CKING_CREDIBLY STUPID for letting this total creep in my car. Gawd! WTF, gut instinct, way to look out for me!

At least I'm glad the Dr. insisted I get the major Hep B shot, and a full course of vaccine. Which I had to take the afternoon off work to go get. Again, thanks, Buddy!

And the worst is, it makes me question whether I should ever help out strangers again. That sucks that I might second guess someone really in need, and not help.

I really don't know how to feel about all this.

Like, seriously, is this a test, because, WTF????

Thanks again for listening, Everybody. You all have been so kind and encouraging and it helps so much. I don't have many friends, which I'm mostly ok with. But when shit gets heavy, it's always good to have an avenue to vent. And, you know, I don't know if it would be good to talk to family, as they would have a hear attack if they knew about this guys history.

So thanks for being here for me, Internet Strangers, and my Fortean Family!
:kiss:

Of all the people out there who deserve a second chance at life, I bring back a loser wanna be Al Capone. Yay, me.

It is an extraordinary story...and I do think it can form the basis for a film.
But I do not wish to trivialise the day you had, nor the subsequent emotional effects, nor the update revelations.

Some points:

1.) Good that you saw the doctor.

2.) Most religious people would think that this man can repent and lead a productive life, that G-D prefers live sinners to dead saints.
Even someone into the odious crime of child pornography.

3.) Your actions lead him into the hands of law enforcement.
If you had not given him a ride, he may have injected himself with something, gone for a walk, and died alone in the wilderness?
Perhaps the police were looking for this man, and you have now helped them catch him?
And in the course of their investigations they are able to recover stolen money and property, or to unravel a network of child pornographers?
And they can now at least lock him up to prevent him harming others.

You did the right thing.

And in future, can also do the right thing.
The right thing you did was save his life, but there is no onus on you to give anyone a ride, especially if you are alone and unarmed.
You can always buy someone a hot drink, or give them a small amount of cash instead etc.

Back