• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mother Teresa: The Real Story

Can you give us an example of what you consider a good cult?
Hunck – Since societal views dictate which organizations are deemed a cult (for example, Jim Jones’ People’s Temple) and non-cult (for example, Episcopal Church), this is difficult to answer – based on one’s individual interpretation of cult. The word “cult” denotes pejorative attributes.

I think the American Medical Association (AMA) is a good cult, but does harm in how it shelters bad doctors.

Penn and Teller on Mother Theresa ..

I was gonna share this. You can find similar problems with Gandhi (his racism for instance) "never meet your heros" is good advice. I've had the pleasure of working with really fantastic nuns (I'm not Catholic but have worked alongside them) and have known some terrible ones. "Office culture" seems to apply to them too.

Hunck – Since societal views dictate which organizations are deemed a cult (for example, Jim Jones’ People’s Temple) and non-cult (for example, Episcopal Church), this is difficult to answer – based on one’s individual interpretation of cult. The word “cult” denotes pejorative attributes.

I think the American Medical Association (AMA) is a good cult, but does harm in how it shelters bad doctors.
The AMA sounds more like a professionals organisation than a cult. My idea of a cult is - charismatic leader, varying degrees of off-centre beliefs which the leader gets everyone to go along with until they become invested etc.

Back