• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mothman & Popular Culture: Books, Films, TV, Merchandising, etc.

A

Anonymous

MOTHMAN

HEY EVERYONE,
I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE OUT THERE CAN TELL ME SOME STUFF ON MOTHMAN. FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT KNOW WHO I AM TALKING ABOUT I WANNA LET YOU KNOW THAT THERE IS A MOVIE COMING OUT ABOUT MOTHMAN STARRING RICHARD GERE. ITS BASED ON JOHN KEEL'S BOOK THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES.
ZERO

I have quite high hopes for the movie. The director Mark Pellington did the conspiracy themed Arlington Road, which I really liked.It was quite mad and intense, much better than the one with Mel Gibson or Enemy of the State.

Hopefully the book with get republished along with it and I'll finally get a chance to read it.

Also, is that toy the one here?:
http://www.legendarymonsters.com

Views from the set:
http://www.geocities.com/bb-gun/mothman/

Original newspaper clipping with (misleading?) illustration:
http://www.geocities.com/stalkerssuck/mothman.html

Justin -

Nope. That's the one from Nevermore productions. That one actually looks somewhat like the skeches that have been made of Mothman. I believe the one I was referring to, from Mezco, is shown at http://www.mezco.net.

And I, too, hope the book gets republished with the release of the movie. I did own a copy, but I lost it at school. Fortunately, I'd already read it at that point. :)

I,too am waiting to see how Hollywood and some La-La land writer will muck up Keel's book,a true classic and one of my Fortean favorites.I first discovered Keel as a drunken sailor back in the mid 70's,and whether "The Mothman Prophecies"is,as sometimes alleged,somewhat ah-embellished in places,it's still a hell of a read.

About bloody time too!

I waited about six months for my library to get this a few years ago. Damned fine book!

Can't wait to read it again...

Sweet! $6.99 US beats the $150 I've seen on eBay.

I'd suspect it's reprinting is a tie-in to the film that's due to be released here in the states on Feb. 2 (02-02-02). I'm unsure of what to think of the film, on one hand it's got that cheeseball Richard Gere, on the other it's the friggin' MOTHMAN! Don't know which of those two creeps me out more!

Dig a really bad streaming video version of the trailer at:

http://themothmanlives.com/

Seems adequately spooky, and I've read good things about the script. Hopefully, a less herky version of the trailer will show up soon, as streaming vid sucks.

~c_toast (who just LOVES having pneumonia in the midst of midterms - hack, hack)

I don't know where it's from, but it's probably logically impossible to judge the sanity of a universal mind by mere human standards.

("If it's too difficult I can't understand it..." ! )

I've always been proud of my British reprint version from the 70s, under the name 'Visitors from Space'. Which kind of lacks impact, I feel.

(wakes up)

They're making a proper film about it, based on the book??? Is it looking any better than that Hi-8 one which I think also featured Nazis (or was that based on the Cornish Owlman???)

Odd...

I suppose after Batman, the Jackal, Nighthawk, the Wolfman and Catwoman were taken, mutant creatures of the night had to start scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Hedgehogman, anybody?

Well, what about a Swamp Thing movie?

Anyway, the Mothman prophecies has been mentioned a few times on here. But what are they about? I remember some sightings of the Mothman some years ago, but they didn't seem like anything special. And I can't remember any prophecies.

The mothman sitings coincided with a spate of UFO incidents, animal mutilations, ghosts, EVPs, religious experiences, poltergeists, electrical weirdness, contactee stuff and, yes, prophecies. Most of which were recieved over the phone; on one notable occasion, they were left for John Keel in a hotel he'd only just decided to check into.

The prophecies had an average success rate; enough to convince Keel that the final one (a massive power failure/assasination type thing) might be true. At the allotted time, nothing happened - however, the Silver bridge in Point Pleasant (the centre of the phenomena) collapsed at rush hour, with a horrific death toll.

No further sitings were reported after this. Obviously, we only have Keel's word on this lot, but the book is fascinating. Incidentally, the film (apparently) plays up the crazy stuff and takes (ahem) 'liberties'.

Sadly, whereas about six months ago, a copy of Visitors From Space (who came up with that title!) could be had for around £2, I'm now seeing them for £30! For the paperback! And it's been republished! Madness, I tell you... MADNESS!

Hmm, just thinking... I hope the the new reprint hasn't got a cheesy cover with a still from the film on it! And a crappy banner saying 'Now a major motion picture!' at the bottom...

Yes,I've noticed this phenomenon here in the U.S.All of Keel's books,except,for some reason,"Jadoo",have gone up quite radically in price.A hardcover copy of"The Mothman Prophecies"can be up to $150.00,and even a somewhat ratty mass market paperback copy of"The Eighth Tower"might command up to $50.00.

There seems to be little logic to second hand book prices on the net.

Once, pricing was an (?educated) guess, much of the time. But now with the net you can look up the books you want to sell & decide a price based on what everyone else is asking. If someone wants the book badly enough they will pay the asking price, BUT if you try selling the same books to a 'dealer' even for a fraction of the price, they just don't want to know!!!!!

Go to a book fayre some time it's nearly all dealers, all trying for a percentage off the asking price, all planning to put the book up for sale again.

Like UK house prices, I reckon an inflationry spiral has set in.:(

Mothman movie

Sci Fi Channel will also be airing a documentary on the Mothman to coincide with the release of the movie. Met the guy who worked as gaffer on the Sci Fi documentary a few weeks ago.....

sureshot

Better than the book?

"...Nonetheless, the film never amounts to more than the sum of a few good moments, and it leaves the aftertaste of a second-tier X-Files episode, which is the sort of mystery even Keel might not be able to explain. The sense that Pellington never wants to play fair with his bogeyman probably has a lot to do with it. —Keith Phipps"
------------------------------------------------

http://uk.imdb.com/Title?0265349

"What amazed me about this film, however, was Richard Hatem's script -- he had a heck of a challenge in taking John Keel's lackluster, repetitive, scatter-shot book and crafting a story around the events in it (NOTE: DO NOT READ THE BOOK before seeing the movie! It will take away from your enjoyment of the film's climax! And like I said, it's not that good anyway)."

Out on 1st March 2002 in UK!

I just got back from seeing the film and I really liked it. A bit Hollywood, but it doesn't take to much away from the film. I thought it said that Mark Pilkington from FT directed it but it turned out it was just someone with a similar name!

I saw it Saturday afternoon.I liked it,but, like most Keel fans would probably agree,I wish it could have been more like the book.That said,it was still pretty good,suspenseful and scary.I thought the Silver Bridge collapse was well done too.

mothman prophecies--was the movie good?

hey,
I saw the movie yesterday and it was pretty good even though it was hollywood sugar-coated. It had its boring parts but over all it was a decent movie. the bridge scene is real trippy. But i would have to say that the only part i liked was the first scene of mothman when his wife sees him and crashes-that was a crazy. pretty good portrayal.
I would like to know what the people in here who read the book thought about the movie. I have never read the book so i would like to know what u guys think.
ZERO

i just saw the movie and i was really dissapointed. I did like the bit when his wife almost hit it with the car tho but as for the rest of the movie it almost sent me to sleep. Give this one a miss and go see brotherhood of the wolf instead.

Back