• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mothman & Popular Culture: Books, Films, TV, Merchandising, etc.

Its so frikken dull! i saw it a while back and was very un-impressed, you dont see no mothman. there's no action! and me wife fancys Richard Gere so i dont like him. the book and legend is fantastic and excites me everytime i read it. but not the film, its poop!

Thanks Mr. C. --

I'm afraid it'll be like a car wreck --
so bad you can't take your eyes off of it!

I'll have to watch it when I get time, but pass it on quickly...

TVgeek

Mothman ..?

I have to agree with mr chopper. The book is alot of fun to read as are Keel's other books but the film misses the mark entirely. No Mothman seen, only mentioned and no ufos or MIB shown onscreen which were all over the place at the time of the events. They added a love interest and turned Keel's lady reporter friend into a lady cop. What's the deal?
Once again, Hollywood screws up a book.

Bump! There are many Mothman threads. Here I've merged some of the Fortean Culture ones. (I will probably merge some of those in Cryptozoology too.)

The Mothman Prophecies DVD

What are you suggesting? Mothman fiddled with the traffic lights knowing of the bridges vulnerability?

"I was not interested in making a creature movie. I was not interested in making a sci-fi movie, -um- or even a supernatural movie. I've described it as a psychological mystery with naturally surreal overtones." -Director Mark Pellington.

Will Patton said Richard Gere calls it "a metaphysical thriller."

The 'In Search of the Mothman' documentary was a bit cheapy but it was nice to see and hear John Keel, Loren Coleman and the various Mothman witnesses.

"Very often the anus of the cow is removed and we know that radioactivity settles in the anus and whoever is doing it is checking for radioactivity influencing these animals." -John Keel.

By the way, I still think the film is pretty good on second viewing, and that it shouldn't be criticized for not being a literal translation of a book which doesn't actually have a story.

Debra Messing's 'temporal lobe tumor' was Y shaped. What do you think that means?

In the Drift

If you take a map of the drift patterns of radioactive fall-out from above-ground tests and lay in over a map of cattle mutilations, they match up with uncanny accuracy. Linda Moulton-Howe and others noticed this years back. Keel's right, they're taking core samples to check the spread of something, probably radioactivity, perhaps something worse.

THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES is a good movie, very well done, if one watches it with no expectations from the book. And yes, they did a good job of making a story out of a plotless account. It was metaphysical and pscyhological, and left the thinking people thinking, which is more than most Hollywood movies accomplish.

Didn't see the documentary, or if I did it's been flensed.

Hadn't heard about any tumor in Messing.

Ah, TV

That explains why I had no idea, I don't watch WILL & GRACE.

Re: In the Drift

FraterLibre said:
If you take a map of the drift patterns of radioactive fall-out from above-ground tests and lay in over a map of cattle mutilations, they match up with uncanny accuracy. Linda Moulton-Howe and others noticed this years back. Keel's right, they're taking core samples to check the spread of something, probably radioactivity, perhaps something worse.

Hello Frater, good to see you.
You said 'they're' taking core samples to ck for radiation or something worse. Who are they IYO, aliens or our govt? And where is this radiation coming from, Chernobyl etc..?

They Again

Wu - Who "they" are I've no clue.

The rads, if rads there are -- I specifically mentioned this as but one possiblility -- come from above-ground nuclear tests conducted for years at the top of the drift zones in which we find these mutilations.

Space aliens are so unlikely that they're more useful as a cover story for the fringe, I'd think. Makes things ever so much more easily deniable. Just laugh and shrug and say, "UFOs did it, huh?"

Disturbs me that the maps match so well, though. I simply don't believe in coincidences that conscientioius and thorough.

AEC may have to answer for much of this, if I'm forced to guess.

Re: They Again

FraterLibre said:
Disturbs me that the maps match so well, though. I simply don't believe in coincidences that conscientioius and thorough.

AEC may have to answer for much of this, if I'm forced to guess.

I have to agree, I have always suspected some govt involvement mixed in with natural causes for the rest.

mothman solved?

I think I may have solved, or at least tied together two seemingly separate strands of the mothman mysteries and everything else that happened in Point Pleasant or thereabouts.

1> Woody's contacts from another world spoke of Lanulos.

2> The mothman had red eyes and was bad tempered, partial to taking off suddenly and straight up.

Simply put Lanulos is almost an anagram of Anusol a hemorrhoid cream, this explains the second part.

I'll see you in time :eek!!!!:

Seriously thoug

I think the Mothman Prophecies was a pretty good movie, which if it didn't exactly capture everything that happened (which would have made for a very long and confusing film) it did capture a good feel for things paranormal and "Ultra-Terrestrial", not to mention reality, recurring patterns and the crossover between subjective/objective.

Also if you read the book again you see lots of things in it that have been sneaked in, maybe not in sequence or if in the right context but in there anyway.

Plus, and it's a big plus point, that soundtrack kicks ass!!!!!

Gets the Red Out

Perhaps Mothman mistook his Anusol for Clear-eyes, or vice-versa.

It's surely make ME see red.

Re: mothman solved?

Zavian Friday said:
I think I may have solved, or at least tied together two seemingly separate strands of the mothman mysteries and everything else that happened in Point Pleasant or thereabouts.

1> Woody's contacts from another world spoke of Lanulos.

2> The mothman had red eyes and was bad tempered, partial to taking off suddenly and straight up.

Simply put Lanulos is almost an anagram of Anusol a hemorrhoid cream, this explains the second part.

Actually, the Man In Black said he was from Lanulos, not Mothman who never spoke to anyone.
But it could explain why those MIB's are always so tight lipped and uptight...LOL>..

Howdy again board peeps.

Having recently watched The Mothman Prophecies (which I was wholly impressed with) I was just wondering how much of this story was actually true, and which parts were filled-in to make the plot flow nicely.

Having read about Mothman several years prior to the movie release, I noticed which events I know are true. But can anyone offer a more approximate separation of fact and fiction?

I'm mostly interested about the whole Indrid Cold thing... Did this happen?

Thanks.

PS, links to good webpages on this would be nice too. :)

Great film, very creepy!

Like it says at the end the bridge collapsed and several people were killed ...

Some bits [most of what Richard Gere did] were made up for dramatic/explanitory purposes ...

Having read about Mothman several years prior to the movie release, I noticed which events I know are true. But can anyone offer a more approximate separation of fact and fiction?

:_pished:

I'm familiar with the Indrid Cold contactee stuff, but wasn't aware of the relationship he/it may have had to Mothman. Care to divulge (I haven't seen the film)?

Well, apparently, Mothman either is Indrid Cold, or they are, in a way, top-buddies.

Is it Indred or Indrid? So's I know what to search for.

It's spelled Indrid.The film isn't really much like what John Keel alleges to have happened in the book.The Indrid Cold/Woody Derenberger contactee incidents were going on in a different part of West Virginia the same time as the Mothman stuff was happening in Point Pleasant and Keel was going back and forth between those two places and the New York City/Long Island area investigating several different incidents.

The phenomena of Indrid Cold is one of the many supernatural occurances to affect the town and vicinity of Point Pleasant, West Virginia, in 1967 - 1968.

Indeed, at least 500 people reported disturbances of varying types - poltergiest activity, ghost sightings, UFO sightings, stalkings, mothman and MIB sightings and corespondance with a self - professed extra-terrestrial named Indrid Cold.

Indrid Cold is credited with prediciting a power failure to the town on the date of 15 December, at 1 pm; no power outage occured however, this was instead the date and time of the Ohio river bridge collapse.

Indrid Cold appears to be a seperate entity from the mothmen in much of what I've read, and I think he made it into the movie due to the "power failure"(cryptic terminology?) prediction.

I've never heard of him referred to outside of the Point Pleasant case, has anyone else?

Ah, I seem to remember IC phoning up Keel, or something like that? The info I know about IC doesn't refer to the Mothman.

A contactee called Woodrow Derenberger claimed that IC landed his saucer in front of his car on the night of 2nd November 1966. They spoke for ten minutes, and Derenberger later told the police about his experience. The next day IC contacted him telepathically and told him about his family, and also that IC came from Lanulos, 'near the galaxy of Ganymede'. Later, IC took Derenberger to various planets in our solar system (i.e. he saw Saturn, which was shaped like a bowl), and then to Lanulos. When Derenberger later appaeared on a radio show and talked about his experiences, someone called in an also said that they had met IC. Derenberger added details to what the caller said - the only problem was, the caller was a hoax...

I find this facinating. I'm suprised this isn't talked about more.

You talk about a book, I wasn't aware there was one. I gather the book offers alot more than the film does, as is usually the case. This book, is it actually called The Mothman Prophecies?

I'll see if I can get me a copy.

Yep, there's a book of that title by John A. Keel - the film is indirectly based on the book, and is much less weird.

TMP is an essential Fortean read, either as a insight into the shady world of Ultraterrestrial intelligence, or at least as a highly entertaining headfuck.

As for whether or not its true... well Keel's preface describing the (probably apocraphal) tale about him being mistaken for the devil because he was an out of place suited man with a beard in the dead of the West Virginian night is very telling. That is, he is saying that his subsequent telling of the Mothman tale is more than likely a fantastical version of possibly mundane events. Maybe.

Still a damn good read. As for the Indrid/Mothman relation... well, do we ever really find out? It's just a very localised instance of high weirdness.

Note that Derenberger's meeting with Indrid Cold predates the Mothman events.

Beware the new Mothman book, which is abridged to match the film closely. Unfortunately it would appear to have dumped some of the best bits. I had a 1970s copy of the book, but some *&^*er borrowed it and never returned it :furious: and now, it would appear, its not to be had.
From what I recall of the book, all the bits in the film that seem bizarre and weird are purported to have happened, whereas those bits in the film that make sense were added to make the thing watchable by the average punter :D

The Richard Gere Mothman movie is terrible! Nothing like what really occurred, but then again, the more things you believe the more likely it is they start to happen! How much of Keels' work is true is dificult to tell, but during that period strange lights, dark strangers etc, often came in waves in the same way cattle mutilations, crop circles and UFO sightings do nowadays. Ingrid Cold....who knows!

The book is essential reading...far better than the movie. Is it true? well.......who knows really. The bizarre MIB encounters and the Indrid Cold connection is some great reading though!

sureshot

Back