• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mothman & Popular Culture: Books, Films, TV, Merchandising, etc.

Yes, I watched and stuck through the whole thing.

I am absolutely pissed that John Keel's name was
not mentioned once... but they brought up
Richard Gere every chance they could.

Sure, it is aimed at the "general populace" (not us!)
but the complete lack of knowledge among those on camera
was appalling. One of the researchers was imitating Mothman
cries while camping in the woods?!? WTF!!!

Give me "most Haunted" anytime over this rubbish...
:evil:

TVgeek

Yup. Typical of the standard of the stuff that's been on SciFi and Discovery, etc, of late unfortunately.

Hopefully, soon there will be some producers who aren't afraid to take a chance and mix things up a bit, WeirdTV-wise.

Watch this space!

I've seen the film, I've read about it and I'm still not sure what its all about.

That's the beauty of The Mothman Prophecies - the author doesn't pretend to know what it was all about, or if it was about anything, or if all of it was, strictly speaking, true; in fact, he seems sure that some of it is not (and that makes sense if, as some indications are, he made up some of it); facts and people's interpretations of facts and people playing silly buggers and natural phenomena that looked weird and weird stuff that looked natural. Anybody can just explain stuff.

Reality is infinite. Your brain is finite. Only when you're a little confused are you in touch with reality.

Tell you the truth i think it,s a load of CRAP.... Iam not going to believe this stuff.... EARL....

Believe? What does believing have to do with anything?

PeniG said:

SURELY you are not going to tell me that when this THING TURN,S UP, THAT STUFF HAPPENS .... PLEASE PLEASE DON,T.... earl....

staploe said:
PeniG said:

SURELY you are not going to tell me that when this THING TURN,S UP, THAT STUFF HAPPENS .... PLEASE PLEASE DON,T.... earl....

MIND you can you get MOTH WOMAN, Last week i was fixing the down pipe on the side of my house when my wife came out and gave me a cup of coffee, i said thanks, BUT she then JUST STOOD THERE LOOKING AT ME and that,s when things WENT WRONG. Was it the STARING OR WAS IT SOMETHING ELSE....LOL,,,,

staploe said:
Tell you the truth i think it,s a load of CRAP.... Iam not going to believe this stuff.... EARL....

...SURELY you are not going to tell me that when this THING TURN,S UP, THAT STUFF HAPPENS .... PLEASE PLEASE DON,T.... earl....
So why ask in the first place?

And what's with all the shouting?

stuneville said:
staploe said:

...SURELY you are not going to tell me that when this THING TURN,S UP, THAT STUFF HAPPENS .... PLEASE PLEASE DON,T.... earl....
So why ask in the first place?

And what's with all the shouting?

And that comma apostrophe thing?

I'm going to call it a compostrophe. (Possibly - I've just noticed - apt in more ways than one).

I expect he's having keyboard trouble. I've seen worse. There used to be somebody on an X-Files board I frequented who couldn't, or wouldn't, afford a new keyboard, and his posts tended to look like they'd been made by a schizophrenic who had built up a resistance to his meds.

Which isn't that inappropriate on an XF board.

Alternatively, he might be an MIB, and the compostrophes are the online equivalent of the odd-fitting suits, peculiar complexions, and unidentifiable accents.

Just saw the documentary Eyes of the Mothman. I found the details presented fascinating. The film maker starts with the Curse of Cornstalk and proceeds up to and including the fall of the Silver Bridge, and then closure.

No mention of John Keel at all.

Provides theories to what Mothman may actually have been, some a bit more outlandish than others, but all thought-provoking.

If I'm not mistaken, the film was made in 2009, but not released until this year.

Interesting, as I said, but a little repetitive in places, and the entire film runs 2 hours 39 minutes, and it could have used a tightening up in the editing.

Anyone else seen this yet? If so what did you think?

I caught it on Netflix streaming, btw. Don't know where it may be available in your area.

TD

One for the night birds:

The Mothman Prophecies
Today on BBC1 South West from 11:30pm to 1:20am

Supernatural thriller. Two years after losing his wife, political journalist John Klein mysteriously finds himself in a small US town where people are acting very strangely indeed. He teams up with local cop Connie Parker and discovers that frightened townsfolk have seen a shadowy 'mothman' creature which closely resembles pictures his wife drew just before her death. As Klein struggles to find rational solutions to irrational events, and is disturbed by visions of his dead wife, the threat of impending disaster steadily grows. With Richard Gere, David Eigenberg, Laura Linney, Will Patton, and Ron Emanuel.(2002)

Oh, I rather liked the film. I liked the way it left what - if anything - Mothman was open ended, rather than wrapping it all up neatly at the end. It seemed relatively faithful to the themes of the book. (Although parts of it were a tad ridiculous. A friend and I still sometimes say "chaaap-stick" to one another at random moments.)

There's a fairly OK documentary as a DVD extra too. I daresay it's on Youtube somewhere.

EDIT - Ah, here you go. Chaaap-stick!

I'm watching The Mothman Prophecies right now. I'd always avoided it, as I'd loved the book and the movie diverges from it dramatically (which always ticks me off) - but I'm actually enjoying it. Who woulda thunk it, eh? The movie has a creepy atmosphere that's just the thing for an Autumn night. :)

I'm watching The Mothman Prophecies right now. I'd always avoided it, as I'd loved the book and the movie diverges from it dramatically (which always ticks me off) - but I'm actually enjoying it. Who woulda thunk it, eh? The movie has a creepy atmosphere that's just the thing for an Autumn night. :)

I really enjoyed it too, it was like an X-Files movie without Scully and Mulder.

A truly wacky Mothman movie might still be entertaining, but as a mood piece the one they made is fair enough.

Well, tomorrow marks Mothy's 50th anniversary, or essentially so, the winged weirdie having popped up at the North Generator Plant that cold night in November, 1966.

Do you know what else appeared in November 1966? DETECTIVE COMICS #359, "The Million-Dollar Debut of Batgirl!"

http://thewarriorscomicbookden.blogspot.com/2010/09/spotlight-on-million-dollar-debut-of.html

And who are Batman, Robin, and Batgirl fighting in this issue? Well, see for yourself:

http://s225.photobucket.com/user/amarok2/media/batgirl_zpsdszltkzk.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I always wondered about the books and articles that claimed Mothman was named after a character in "the Batman TV show." I watched the Adam West show religiously, and there were no Mothmen to be found. Now I see they meant the comics. Even here, though, the head lepidopterous villain is called "Killer Moth," not "Mothman".

Don't know if this has been linked on the forum already, but here's the wonderful map of the recent Mothman/Owlman sightings in Chicago.

google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1X7P3o6YD7IBez4uBx4-Gghyk0Fs&ll=41.82262982353927,-87.61618142241212&z=11
Link is dead. No archived version found.

If you like both maps and weirdness, this will be your catnip.
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, as long as someone has brought a Mothman thread to the top . . . you could find out more about this Winged Weirdie by ordering Loren Coleman's recent book Mothman: Evil Incarnate:

https://www.amazon.com/Mothman-Evil...preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

. . . And I'm not just saying that because I wrote "The Mothman Annotations," which take up 1/3 of the book! Really!

Seriously, though, for a short and succinct version, nothing beats the chapter on "West Virginia's 'Mothman'" in Strange Creatures from Time and Space (updated as The Complete Guide to Mysterious Beings). To tell you the truth, I found all the contactee shenanigans in Mothman Prophecies tiresome after a while. Anyway, most of the other odd events associated with Point Pleasant and Mothman are scattered throughout Strange Creatures/Complete Guide.

The Strange Creatures chapter was adapted from the Keel article, "West Virginia's Enigmatic 'Bird'," from Flying Saucer Review July 1968, which has been reprinted in Searching for the String: Selected Writings of John A. Keel, edited by Andy Colvin, if you want to read the raw, earlier incarnation of the account.

I saw a rear bumper sticker on a car the other day... like the following (not my photo):
0a17c04e40d4569a1521a394f03a795a.jpg

Back