• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Moths

Swindon woman finds rare moth in her garden

The atlas, or emperor moth, is native to south-east Asia and is rarely seen in the UK.

It has one of the largest wingspans at around 10 inches (25 centimetres).
1687534739612.png

Not nearly so large as the one I posted above, but the 'Messerschmitt' moths from last year are back with a slightly duller colouration.

He posted in a great position with natural lighting for my photo, too.

SmartSelect_20230706_115613_Gallery.jpg

And just to go COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC for a second.... I have been indulging in the EXCELLENT 20 page things that truly scare you thread and just today I experienced that weird being distinctly dripped on sensation indoors but no leak or drip....
Looking back on this , I've only just realised that the date of this post was the birthday of a great great friend who , tragically, died way too young . And excuse the pun , but , he liked a drop if you know what mean.... Can't believe I didn't realise this when I posted that day

Looking back on this , I've only just realised that the date of this post was the birthday of a great great friend who , tragically, died way too young . And excuse the pun , but , he liked a drop if you know what mean.... Can't believe I didn't realise this when I posted that day
And on top of that , looking at my avatar of my beloved , much missed Sam , ashamed to admit I've only just remembered that today was the day he died , three years ago , a month shy of 20... Miss you buddy and still love ya xx

Oh, I‘ve never seen those at all!
'THE BEE FLY:'
Yes, this is a nice fluffy mimic of the master mimic - the Hummingbird Hawk Moth.
However, this little fella has a pretty nasty sting in it's tail. . . in that it is parasitic, and can infect a number of different species of Bees and other insects by laying its larvae inside its victims!
I happened to spot a few of these in my garden last year, and wondered what it was - as it was so like the Humming bird Hawk Moth, and there's a few different versions of them apparently.
It's a fascinating little fly to watch though as it goes about it's daily flights in the UK!
https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/bee-flies-cute-bee-mimic-with-a-dark-side.html

Last edited:
Fascinating aren't they!
I asked 'AI' the question. . . is there any relationship between Hummingbird Hawk Moths and Bee Moths: And this is the reply ~

Yes, there is a relationship between the Hummingbird Hawk Moth and the Bee Moth. Both moths belong to the family Sphingidae. In the US, moths in the genus Hemaris are known as “hummingbird moths,” while in Europe, they are called "bee moths"1. The British prefer to call them Bee Hawk-Moths2. However, it is important to note that the Hummingbird Hawk Moth and the Bee Moth are two different species of moths. The Hummingbird Hawk Moth is known for its hovering flight and rapid wing beats, which produce an audible hum and create the illusion of a hummingbird3. The Bee Moth, on the other hand, is similar to the Hummingbird Hawk Moth in flight but has orange-brown hindwings which are evident in flight4.

In Tokyo, the Hawk moths loved my Sage that I had growing in my tiny garden.

It had long, purple flowers that I would sit next to, at eye level, and watch the Hawk moths (amongst other beasties) supping on their nectar.

Came across this large caterpillar crawling across my lawn a few weeks ago:
(an 'Elephant Hawk' Moth) some three-and-three-quarters of an inch long!

1696255002585.jpeg

Then last week, came across this one (a 'Pale Tussock' Moth) tucked
away inside my compost bins lid when I was putting some rose cuttings
in the bin.
And yesterday I came across another one the same crossing a pathway,
so I lifted it up put it up on a leaf and placed it in a much safer place
to overwinter.
*Hairs are apparently an irritant to the skin.

1696254502373.png

Bhutan I wanted to fish for the trout,told no.Dog sleeping on the road,the driver in the vehicle I was in waited till the dog got up,stretched,and trotted off in its own time,the driver didn’t even sound his horn.View attachment 71378
Nice picture but what’s the moth connection?

Back