• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Moths

Moths apparently like sweet smells especially stale perfume.Try using Lavender Oil. Put a few drops in your washing machine. Moths hate the smell. Also try putting Lavender Oil and some water in an old Febreeze bottle and squirt it around generously. If it gets out of hand I would suggest trying something from Lakeland, Coopers of Stortford or similar place online. I am cutting back on chemicals as I am Asthmatic so I use Lavender Oil a lot.

But the actual Lavender plant aggravates asthma! Although searching it Lavender oil is either brilliant for it, or terrible.......

The actual ethanol percentage of wine is pretty low, so I'd be gobsmacked if it killed a moth. I've injected moth larvae with 50% ethanol before and it doesn't kill 'em, although they do get a bit woozy and extra light-sensitive...

The actual ethanol percentage of wine is pretty low, so I'd be gobsmacked if it killed a moth. I've injected moth larvae with 50% ethanol before and it doesn't kill 'em, although they do get a bit woozy and extra light-sensitive...
I’ve heard moths are Lager dudes

That's a mighty big moth

Giant wood moth: ‘very heavy’ insect rarely seen by humans spotted at Australian school
Mammoth moth which can have 25cm wingspan found by builders working on Queensland primary school

Lisa Cox
Wed 5 May 2021 06.38 BST

A giant moth with a wingspan measuring up to 25cm has been found at a Queensland school next to a rainforest.
Builders found the giant wood moth, the heaviest moth in the world, while constructing new classrooms at Mount Cotton state school.

Giant wood moths are found along the Queensland and New South Wales coast, according to the Queensland Museum. Females can weigh up to 30 grams and have a wingspan of up to 25cm. Males are half that size.
etc

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...t-wood-moth-found-queensland-australia-school

Giant wood moth: ‘very heavy’ insect rarely seen by humans spotted at Australian school

The pair of photos published with that story illustrate the effect of forced perspective. The moth angled toward the camera appears more massive than the one photographed at the same distance as the hand.

WoodMoth-A.jpg

WoodMoth-B.jpg

The pair of photos published with that story illustrate the effect of forced perspective. The moth angled toward the camera appears more massive than the one photographed at the same distance as the hand.

View attachment 38929
View attachment 38930
But is is still gi-GAN-tic, EnolaGaia!!!
And it's from Australia! Every weird thing that I've read about this week has been from Australia!
Look how big their babies are!!!!! large.jpeg

More pictures here: https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/124201-Endoxyla-cinereus

A few minutes ago my wife shouted out that our cat had got a bird in the garden.
I ran out and saw her (cat, not wife) swiping at something flapping on the ground and thought it was a small Chaffinch or Robin.
I clapped my hands to distract Puss and the creature flew away from her and collided with me, before flying up into a tree, where I lost sight of it.
I was surprised to see that it wasn't a bird but a huge moth. It was grey with a hint of pale stripes and, a little subsequent Googling, suggests that I was lucky enough to have a close encounter with either a Privet or Poplar Hawk Moth.
With a wingspan of 9 to 12 cm, they are amongst the largest UK moths. The impressive beast that bumped into me (and I felt it!) must have been approaching the larger end of that scale.

moth.JPG

Last edited:
A few minutes ago my wife shouted out that our cat had got a bird in the garden.
I ran out and saw her (cat, not wife) swiping at something flapping on the ground and thought it was a small Chaffinch or Robin.
I clapped my hands to distract Puss and the creature flew away from her and collided with me, before flying up into a tree, where I lost sight of it.
I was surprised to see that it wasn't a bird but a huge moth. It was grey with a hint of pale stripes and, a little subsequent Googling, suggests that I was lucky enough to have a close encounter with either a Privet or Poplar Hawk Moth.
With a wingspan of 9 to 12 cm, they are amongst the largest UK moths. The impressive beast that bumped into me (and I felt it!) must have been approaching the larger end of that scale.

View attachment 41908
HUGE.

Pheromone traps work really well, but they only catch the male moths - still stopping them breeding must be some use. The 'Tennis Bat' charged grilles work well for killing them on the wing, but they can move surprisingly quickly - they generally drop vertically unless you are very quick. Just spray your undamaged woolens with Tetramethrin/Permethrin and put them in zip-lock bags (the sort of bag that goes over a hanger is no good - there is a gap where the hook emerges which is impossible to seal, and they can get through the tiniest hole).

I hope you didn't get catalepsy.

Found a monster caterpillar on the road...Elephant hawk moth?

Anyhow, big devil.

I transferred it back to the Fuscha they are supposed to love

Stupid thing
Not a lot of love for moths on this thread, well I have had a cursory glance so far and lots of talk about killing the poor little things... I love moths..... There, I've said it. OK most of my wardrobe consists of years old metal tees or terrible shiny NFL shirts that would give them indigestion and the squits no doubt... So I have no truck with critters snacking on my clobber... Damn I remember Daisy my rat pulling my brand new Stone Sour tour tee out of a washing basket that had been left next to her cage and gnawing through the lovely design on the front.... Whaddya gonna do... To the victor, the spoils...
Hey has anyone else seen that picture of a moth that is bigger than the adult hand it is resting on.... Go on.. Look it up, you know you want to

Not a lot of love for moths on this thread, well I have had a cursory glance so far and lots of talk about killing the poor little things... I love moths..... There, I've said it. OK most of my wardrobe consists of years old metal tees or terrible shiny NFL shirts that would give them indigestion and the squits no doubt... So I have no truck with critters snacking on my clobber... Damn I remember Daisy my rat pulling my brand new Stone Sour tour tee out of a washing basket that had been left next to her cage and gnawing through the lovely design on the front.... Whaddya gonna do... To the victor, the spoils...
Hey has anyone else seen that picture of a moth that is bigger than the adult hand it is resting on.... Go on.. Look it up, you know you want to
OK..... I just scrolled up a bit and there ARE pictures of that behemoth.... Not to be confused with the magnificent metal band led by Nergal......

OK..... I just scrolled up a bit and there ARE pictures of that behemoth.... Not to be confused with the magnificent metal band led by Nergal......
And just to go COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC for a second.... I have been indulging in the EXCELLENT 20 page things that truly scare you thread and just today I experienced that weird being distinctly dripped on sensation indoors but no leak or drip....

I like moths, unless they are near my wardrobe, I think a lot of moth are a lot more beautiful than butterflies, this Luna moth is beautiful and it glows in the dark.

EmSrwQNUcAAEg5K.jpg
glow-in-the-dark-luna-moth-earrings-3549.png

Do they spend their nights crashing into each other?

Back