Mount Everest littered with Corpses

A

Anonymous

Earlier this year I came across this article..

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article237731.ece

About a climber who came across an injured climber but was unable to carry someone down from 28000 ft. The following year he climbed again and the body was exactly where he had left her, totally preserved in the -40 degrees temperature.

I've been reading up on this and it turns out that everest is littered with corpses, theres no way of getting them down. Climbers have to take their own oxygen as the air is so thin and you have to be extremely fit to do the climb, anyone who gets into serious trouble is likely to perish and other people often don't have the oxygen to hang around for longer than 5 minutes. Many people describe it as heartbreaking but there is nothing you can do for a climber who can't get up and walk for themself.

The sad thing is that these corpses become route-markers for poeple navigating their way. The most famous was called 'green boots', he has his own entry on wikipedia.

Fancy having a hobby which involves corpse-spotting?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
As the years pass i find myself agreeing more and more with those who say that Everest is becoming a circus and anyone with enough money can throw their hat into the ring.

Nepalese authorities really need to exercise more control.

_Lizard23_

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Trekking permits = rupees.

It's a pretty troubled state.

A

Anonymous

In 2006 a brittish climber called David Sharp attempted the summit for the third time, he was ill prepared, he had 2 oxygen bottles instead of 5. He went with some cheap-skate company.

He got into trouble and died, about 30 people saw hime in trouble and no-one helped.

If you go to http://www.everestnews.com/everest2006/sharpeverest05272006.htm you can see a photo of where he lies (in the photo his corpse has been erased with tipex).

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Thats really tight! cant they afford an airbrush?

But it would be a shame if these people all stayed at home; our mountains are overcrowded as it is.

My cousin died in an avalanche in the Cairngorms in 1992, he was a proffesiona\l climber, if he had been an amatuer, like as not he would be still alive today.

_Lizard23_

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
From that page:
David attempted Everest by himself.
I read about this elsewhere. They reckon up to 40 people walked past him before he died, and some did help.
Most respectable climbers haven't gone near Everest for years, it's a rubbish strewn theme park where something like 10% of the punters die, with base camp firmly on the gap-year backpacker itinerary and commercial expeditions the norm, and Nepal is far too busy with their crazy royals and Maoist terrorists to do anything about it. Most of the people up there, by the sound of it this guy included, shouldn't really be there.

A

Anonymous

On that photo you can also see some of the used oxygen bottles which litter the mountain, like 'hundreds and thousands' on a trifle.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Nope real mountaineers go somewhere else

such as K2

(this must be a Fortean place, the mountain which refuses to be named.

Xanatico

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I like the idea of all the corpses up there. Like in an adventure movie where you are walking into a ancient temple, and see the corpses of all the previous adventurers who were killed by the death traps.

I´m more concerned with the constant littering that happens in Everest. There´s tons of trash up there, on what is supposed to be a holy mountain.

As for nobody helping that dying guy, I was also outraged when I first read the story. Then I read on further and found that people had been trying to help him, but he was too far gone. Also he had brought too little oxygen, just for the thrill of it so his own bloody fault. I believe his sister admitted as much, that nobody could have done anything.

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/170 ... death-zone

Interesting piece on the topic. the Express really does do some fascinating features.

The bit about Hannelore Schmatz is particulary chilling.

And for years the body of German climber Hannelore Schmatz, who reached the summit in 1979 but died of exhaustion on the way down, sat leaning against her pack with her eyes open and her hair blowing in the wind. Eventually high winds pushed her remains over the edge.