• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mountain Ghosts

The Untersberg sounds fabulous!
I'd never heard of World Future Fund, though, so did a little searching. It seems an add organization to bother itself with supernatural stories, since its stated mission (if I understood it correctly) is to persuade people to engage with sustainable environmental practices and to educate people about trending authoritarianism and its destructive effects.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/snowdonia-beauty-spot-haunted-phantom-12915942

The first picture is of 'my' valley. My house is a couple of miles beyond the pass you can just see at the far end of the lake. The picture is taken form approximately where the revived Welsh Highland Railway runs. The former Betws Inn is next door to our church and a half mile from my house across the flood plain.. The Aberglaslyn Pass is actually about 7 miles behind the photographer on the other side of the road's summit at Rhyd Ddu.

The story of Gelert is entirely fictitious, and made up by the owner of the Goat pub to bring in tourists. There is a myth of a mountain version of Black Shuck that haunts the sides of the lake in the picture (Llyn Cwellyn, various spellings abound). I can't find an online reference at the moment.

There is a Roman tin mine opposite and Neolithic hut circles up on the ridge behind my house. I love it here :)

That is beautiful, Cochise. Myth or no myth, what a wonderful place to live.

Mount Kailash - "The Mysterious Mountain where Paranormal is Absolutely Normal"

At 6,638 metres, Mt. Kailash is not a particularly tall Himalayan peak, but its striking pyramidal shape stands well above the surrounding terrain.
It is also considered sacred in Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism and the native Tibetan religion of Bön.
Accordingly, climbing Mt. Kailash is strictly taboo, making it one of the few major mountains as yet unscaled.
Pilgrims and adventurous trekkers are permitted to circumnavigate its foothills though and have reported many Fortean phenomena in the vicinity.

Mysterious lights have been seen both on the mountain itself and above the two strange lakes at its base.
Tradition has it that these are the spirits of the holy men who, over the centuries, devoted their lives to revering the mountain. To some devote Hindus, these lights are manifestations of the deity Shiva with his consort goddess Parvati and their children, Ganesha and Kartikeya.
Some western hikers deem them UFOs, rather than spirits.

In addition to the spirit lights, there are many more weird claims about the mountain, such as time travelling faster as you approach. There are reports of hair and fingernails acquiring a fortnight's growth in a matter of hours and a group of Siberian climbers, who broke the taboo by attempting to scale Kailash all ageing visibly and dying within a year.

The North Pole is 6666 km away from Kailash and the South Pole is 13332 km away - exactly double. Kailash is also reported to be connected to several other sacred monuments around the globe, with Stonehenge being also 6666km distant.

Some also believe that the peak is an artificial i.e. man-made (or ancient alien-made) pyramid.

Kailash.JPG

https://supari.in/kailash-mansarovar-mysterious-mountain-paranormal-absolutely-normal/

https://www.industrytap.com/mysteri...pyramid-by-some-superhuman-divine-being/49889

https://www.quora.com/What-are-thos...-every-morning-at-the-Kailash-Mansarovar-Lake

Been in cold high places all over the world and when you get to a certain altitude you are prone to all kinds of weird effects.
When high up in the Andes I felt otherworldly, like I'd literally went to another time and space. When we got down to altitudes my weak British constitution appreciated, that feeling left me.

As for here in the UK where we don't need to worry about the effects of soroche, being in isolated and potentially dangerous territory will cause your senses to heighten. You will freak yourself out.

Back