• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mr Urdd

MrSnowman

Abominable Snowman
For those 'in the know' as it were, would you consider Mr Urdd to be a friendly little chap, or something which is intended to introduce young people to pagan ideas/symbolism?

by the gods i havent seen him for ages :eek:

bora dda mr urdd

It's a frightening reminder of our past isn't it? I place him up there with Hypervalue, Arthur Llewellyn Jenkins and Miss Milly's in the annals of Welsh heritage :)

:hmph: Thanks for that snowman :rolleyes: , when i was a little kid Mr Urdd featured in a recureing nightmare of mine where a giant Mr Urdd used to chase me round Cosmeston Lakes (a country park where i used to live) Shouting "DIM SIESNEG!!!" at me in a shrill voice.

this is nice! a thread for welsh people :rolleyes: :D :laughing:

on my "view new posts" it has Mr Urdd, and below that the poll for who is Satan :eek!!!!: :eek!!!!:

LobeliaOverhill said:
on my "view new posts" it has Mr Urdd, and below that the poll for who is Satan :eek!!!!: :eek!!!!:

I feel another thread merge coming on then. :D

the more I think of it the more sinister the Urdd seems...

Dose anyone know anyone who was in Urdd?

What exactly do they do?

Where do they meet?

Why exactly was the welsh classroom at school plastered with cut outs the devils own traffic cone?

theres something fishy going on for sure ;)

Dose anyone know anyone who was in Urdd?

I was in the Urdd throughout my childhood, Lord_Flashheart, and my kids are in it now.

What exactly do they do?

Where do they meet?

I cannot divulge this as you have not demonstrated the correct handshake.

Coppertop (in a muddy field, carrying a harp).

Bore dda, cariadiau, or whatever the plural is! From someone whose Welsh and Cornish is very dodgy.:D
Who is Mr Urdd and what is the kingdom of Urdd for us as 'aven't had the pleasure? He definitely contains a message of fertility from his jolly shape.;)

What is it with egg shaped frankly wierd cartoon characters?? (never heard of Mr Urdd BTW).

Anyone remember Ludwig the mozart playing egg?? Came on after the kids programmes on BBC1 in the late 70's. Very, very strange.

Lord_Flashheart said:
now, now mr Zygon, you 'thamesys' can be just as eccentric :p
Uhm, I think that should be 'Clyders', m'Lud Flash'. I'm naewhirr nirr rae Thames...

Lord_Flashheart said:
:hmph: Thanks for that snowman :rolleyes: , when i was a little kid Mr Urdd featured in a recureing nightmare of mine where a giant Mr Urdd used to chase me round Cosmeston Lakes (a country park where i used to live) Shouting "DIM SIESNEG!!!" at me in a shrill voice.

rofl :chuffed:

Lillith said:
Anyone remember Ludwig the mozart playing egg?? Came on after the kids programmes on BBC1 in the late 70's. Very, very strange.

yes i remember ludwig :D

i think cartoonists were coming down from the 60's :D

Having spent much of the seventies in Wales, I am surprised
not to have remembered this weird figure.

I had to go Googling to find this:

http://www.graciouslyimpatient.co.uk/fanwrite/02.html

The Welsh Language Association had their kid's wing, Urdd (meaning Youth). They had kinda scout adventure things, where you could go on holidays in North Wales. Now, in the 1970's, popularity of Urdd was dwindling, so they decided to get a mascot, and yes, that was Mr Urdd. They put him on EVERYTHING, from the traditional mugs and t-shirts, to pants. The pants had, written on their front 'Dwisho Trôns Mr Urdd!' - meaning 'I'm wearing Mr Urdd pants!' hence the line in the song.

Oh dear, Mr Urdd in kiddies' pants. :rolleyes:

Crikey, I didn't realise the cheekie little chappie was revered by so many! To my credit, I have a Mr Urdd t-shirt, and may start a campaign to get a Mr Urdd smilie included over there <------ ;)

Who the hell is Mr Urdd?

The only egg shaped characters I'm familiar with are Wobbl and
Bob.

Carole

Mr Urdd Tribute Records

Super Furry Animals indeed sang a tribute to Mr Urdd's underpants a few years ago, but we have several Mr Urdd tribute singles from the '70s and '80s.

Who can forget "Hei Mr Urdd", "Bytis Mr Urdd" (reggae-inspired) and "Fi a Mr Urdd a'r Crysau Coch" (sung by former Wales rugby international Ray Gravell ).

All together now, "Hei Mr Urdd yn dy goch, gwyn a gwyrdd..."

Help, help! What was the name of that truely awful Welsh pop singer from the early 70s? Meic something. Jeez I remember rainy holidays in Llangranog when you still had to sleep in tents and those awful songs were pumped out over the PA! Nowadays they have proper houses with hot showers and Super Furry Aimals and the Stereophonics!

Lillith said:
Yeah! I remember Ludwig! Sort of faceted like a jewel, and had little trapdoors through which a telescope etc emerged. It was a bit bizarre, wasn't it?

Never heard of Mr Urdd, though, despite being perilously close to the borderlands...

Lillith said:

Yes. I remember him too. Bit weird IIRC. What did he actually do ?

Xynisteri said:
Yes. I remember him too. Bit weird IIRC. What did he actually do ?

Not too sure but you can download the opening credits from the tv cream site here .

There was a penchant of strange foreign animations IIRC in the 70's. Magic Roundabout from france or belgium (I forget which ) and 'Mole.' He was quite a cutie, i remember being terribly fond of him.

Hey how Welsh am I, I just ordered a Geraint Jarman album... :cool:

(OK, not really that Welsh at all. But at least I'm trying!)

Congratulations on your excellent taste, Taras! I still love listening to his stuff. :)

Incidentally, does anyone remember a kids' show on HTV called "Miri Mawr" (Great Fun)? It was on about the same time Mr Urdd first appeared.

It was set in a cave. There were two glove puppets - Llywelyn Fawr (Llywelyn the Great) and Miss Blodyn Tatws (Miss Potato Flower). Both of them looked a bit like dogs, though perhaps Llywelyn was supposed to be a sort of lion, and Miss Blodyn Tatws acted more like a cat.

Dan Dwr (a pun; means "Under Water") looked like the Michelin Man, in a stripy swimsuit and flippers, but with nails sticking out of his scalp, a bit like that guy from Hellraiser. He came from Cantre'r Gwaelod, the lost land that now lies beneath Cardigan Bay.

Y Dyn Creu ("The Creation Man") was a strange old man with spindly legs, who wore a nightgown and nightcap.

Then there was the star - Caleb, a human-sized mole from the North Pole who lived on a diet of penguins. He had a certain tendency towards violence. I met him once.

Guests would occasionally fall into their cave. Geraint Jarman may have been one of them. Pop groups did fall down the hole from time to time.

I'll get my coat.

Coppertop (scraping barnacles off the laverbread, ready for lunch) :p

Back