Mummies (General / Compendium Thread)

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Hasn't been properly dated yet, range of almost 3,000 years.

Mexican experts find seeds, cloth around mummified child
July 30, 2018
A CAT scan of a rolled-up straw mat found in a northern Mexico cave has revealed the mummified remains of a 1 ½ year-old boy.

The country's National Institute of Anthropology and History says that researchers trying to determine the age of the funeral bundle. But the institute said Sunday that organic materials in the cave in Tamaulipas state have been dated between 1,600 B.C. and 1,200 A.D.

The child's body bore a piece of cloth, and bone and shell ornaments.

But perhaps just as interesting was a woven basket left near the body, apparently as an offering.

It contained 756 acorns and 52 ears of primitive corn, as well as squash stems.

The find may shed more light on the transition to sedentary agricultural communities in the region.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-07-mexican-experts-seeds-mummified-child.html#jCp

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
When we think of mummies, we think of the civilization most closely associated with them - i.e., Egypt.

Recent research persuasively indicates the practice of Egyptian mummification began up to 1500 years earlier than previously believed ...

This Ancient Mummy Is Older Than the Pharaohs
Embalming in ancient Egypt predated the pharaohs, an ancient mummy reveals. That would mean that the practice began at least 1,500 years earlier than once thought.

The mummy — an adult male curled on its left side in a fetal pose — is about 6,000 years old. It was previously thought to be naturally preserved by desert conditions at the site where it was buried. But the first-ever tests performed on the remains showed that the mummy was embalmed, making it the earliest known example of Egyptian mummification, researchers reported in a new study.

Further examination showed that the ancient embalmers used multiple ingredients to preserve the corpse, employing a similar recipe to the ones used 2,500 years later, when mummification in Egypt was at its peak. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/63351-mummy-older-than-pharaohs.html

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
When we think of mummies, we think of the civilization most closely associated with them - i.e., Egypt.

Recent research persuasively indicates the practice of Egyptian mummification began up to 1500 years earlier than previously believed ...FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/63351-mummy-older-than-pharaohs.html
What surprised me about that was the lack of crocodile dung. Most ancient Egyptian recipes call for it, even contraceptive pessaries.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
More Mummies!

Fifty mummies dating back to the Ptolemaic era (305-30 BC) have been found by Egyptian archaeologists, the antiquities ministry says.

The mummies, of which 12 were children, were found in four burial chambers 9m (30ft) deep in the Tuna El-Gebel site in Minya, south of the capital Cairo. Some were wrapped in linen, others were in stone coffins or wooden sarcophagi. Their identities were unknown, officials said, but they were likely to have held important positions.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-47103114

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Well that's the last time I go to an Egyptian restaurant.:dpoo:
:rofl2:

One also might wonder, how did they collect the stuff? It's not like when yer old Da'd chase the Co-Op milk cart down the street with a shovel and bucket. Those crocs, they bite.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Saturday, November 23, 2019 - 07:57 PM

Animal mummies recently discovered in Egypt include two lion cubs as well as several crocodiles, birds and cats. Items from the new find were displayed at a makeshift exhibition at the famed Step Pyramid of Djoser in Saqqara, south of Cairo, near where mummies and other artefacts have been found in a vast necropolis.

Egypt’s antiquities minister Khaled el-Anany said: “We are finding here hundreds of objects. All of them are very interesting from the Egyptological point of view to know better this area.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...of-lion-cubs-crocodiles-and-birds-966170.html

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Saturday, November 23, 2019 - 07:57 PM

Animal mummies recently discovered in Egypt include two lion cubs as well as several crocodiles, birds and cats. Items from the new find were displayed at a makeshift exhibition at the famed Step Pyramid of Djoser in Saqqara, south of Cairo, near where mummies and other artefacts have been found in a vast necropolis.

Egypt’s antiquities minister Khaled el-Anany said: “We are finding here hundreds of objects. All of them are very interesting from the Egyptological point of view to know better this area.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...of-lion-cubs-crocodiles-and-birds-966170.html
Potentially, adult lion mummies too. Fascinating stuff.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Last year my wife and I were fortunate enough to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. There they have one of the largest collections of ancient Egyptian art and antiquities. Included amongst this is the Temple of Dendur and an impressive collection of mummies and their sarcophagi.
Below are selection of four I took images of. I don't recall the dates & location where they were from, however the work and different styles throughout the ages is astounding (one is clearly of a Roman).
mummy1.jpg

mummy2.jpg

mummy3.jpg

mummy4.jpg

And for something just a little different, below is one of the sarcophagi used in the original Boris Karloff Universal Studios horror film 'The Mummy' - 1932.
Before visiting New York, we spent a few days in Los Angeles, visited Universal Studios and had the opportunity there to take a behind the scenes visit to the props department, a series of enormous warehouses filled with items, famous and everyday used in movies and t.v shows. We were being shown some props including a throne from the Russel Crowe film 'Gladiator, when the person showing us casually mentioned a couple of items from the original 'Mummy' movie just leaning against a wall the the end of an aisle. I had to take a couple of pics, though we weren't really supposed to.
mummy5.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Wonderful picture, wow! The textures further down on the fourth mummy case look like Fair Isle knitting.

Anyway...
Today on I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, there was a nice Lionel Blair joke.

(Back story - there was a joke about Blair in most editions when Humphrey Lyttelton was presenting. They were elaborate puns about his purely fictional sexual adventures with imaginary Guardsmen and other robustly gay stereotypes. Blair didn't take this well and hated Humph with a passion.

So after Lyttelton died, Blair was asked, live, on Radio 4 for a tribute and said (as well as I can remember) 'Good. I'm glad he's dead. I hated him. He was a horrible, horrible man.' The interviewer was shocked. Brilliant radio!
Were they put up to it for a laugh? We'll never know!

I heard this on the day and laughed my head off. The episode of whatever show it was stayed on Listen Again for a couple of years but it's gone now, pity.)

Anyway...
Lionel Blair was in Egypt visiting the Valley of the Kings. 'Disaster struck when Lionel drifted off during a tour of Rameses III's burial chamber and was stolen by tomb robbers.
On a lighter note, Lionel is now on permanent display at the British Museum.'

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
DNA Suggests Ancient Egypt’s Millions of Ibis Mummies Were Wild-Caught Birds

Source: smithsonianmag.com
Date: 14 November, 2019

The animals’ genes don’t show the tell-tale signs of domestication, suggesting they were only held temporarily before being sacrificed.

Some ancient Egyptian tombs contain millions of mummified ibises, or hook-billed shorebirds sacrificed in honor of the ibis-headed god Thoth. The origins of these avian mummies have long been unclear, but now, a new genetic survey published in the journal PLoS ONE suggests the vast majority of sacrificial birds came from the wild.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...bis-mummies-were-wild-caught-birds-180973556/

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Getting a mummy to speak? And a mummified priest at that! This will not end well. The script for a horror film is being written!

Scientists have fulfilled a mummified Egyptian priest's wish for life after death - by replicating his voice with artificial vocal chords.

Nesyamun's voice has been reproduced as a vowel-like sound that is reminiscent of a sheep's bleat.The priest lived during the politically volatile reign of pharaoh Ramses XI, between 1099 and 1069BC. As a priest in Thebes, Nesyamun would have needed a strong voice for his ritual duties, which involved singing.

When Nesyamun died, his voice fell silent, but 3,000 years on, a team of researchers have brought it back to life. They have done so by producing a 3D-printed voice box based Nesyamun's vocal tract, which was scanned to establish its precise dimensions. By using the vocal tract with an artificial larynx sound, they synthesised a vowel sound meant to be similar to the voice of Nesyamun.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51223828

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Getting a mummy to speak? And a mummified priest at that! This will not end well. The script for a horror film is being written!

Scientists have fulfilled a mummified Egyptian priest's wish for life after death - by replicating his voice with artificial vocal chords.

Nesyamun's voice has been reproduced as a vowel-like sound that is reminiscent of a sheep's bleat.The priest lived during the politically volatile reign of pharaoh Ramses XI, between 1099 and 1069BC. As a priest in Thebes, Nesyamun would have needed a strong voice for his ritual duties, which involved singing.

When Nesyamun died, his voice fell silent, but 3,000 years on, a team of researchers have brought it back to life. They have done so by producing a 3D-printed voice box based Nesyamun's vocal tract, which was scanned to establish its precise dimensions. By using the vocal tract with an artificial larynx sound, they synthesised a vowel sound meant to be similar to the voice of Nesyamun.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51223828
Do not read from the book!

Eponastill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Nesyamun's voice has been reproduced as a vowel-like sound that is reminiscent of a sheep's bleat.
If you want to hear it, it was on Radio 4's Inside Science this evening
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dgbt
Sort of funny and sort of ghastly a noise at the same time. And even (dare I say it) slightly pointless?? They admitted that it was essentially the noise he would make from his sarcophagus rather than any noise he'd have made alive (though they were working on that too? or hoping to? I'm not sure). It's amazing what people find money and time to do. (Sorry for being a philistine.)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Do not read from the book!
“What we have done is to create the sound of Nesyamun as he is in his sarcophagus,” said the study co-author Prof David Howard, head of the department of electronic engineering at Royal Holloway, University of London. “It is not a sound from his speech as such, as he is not actually speaking.”
Probably for the best.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
The long-studied mummy of a woman named "Takabuti" has yielded new and unexpected results - not the least of which is the fact she was murdered.
Egyptian mummy cold case closed: 'Takabuti' was stabbed to death

The elite woman also had two rare conditions; an extra tooth and an extra vertebra.

It took 2,600 years to crack the case, but Egyptologists have finally determined how a curly haired, elite woman from ancient Thebes met her untimely end.

The 20-something-year-old Takabuti was murdered in a violent knife attack, researchers announced today (Jan. 27), on the 185th anniversary of the mummy's original unwrapping, in 1835, according to a statement from The University of Manchester in England.

An analysis of Takabuti's mummified remains revealed more of her secrets. She had two rare conditions; an extra tooth (33 instead of 32), and an extra vertebra, the researchers said. ...

The DNA analysis showed that Takabuti was more genetically similar to Europeans than to modern-day Egyptians, the researchers said. ...

The CT scans revealed that her heart, which hadn't been located until now, was intact and perfectly preserved. These scans also disclosed her violent death: Wound marks showed that Takabuti had been stabbed in her upper back, near her left shoulder. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/egypt-mummy-murdered-with-knife.html

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
News from University College Cork...

"The fact that UCC hid a 3000-year-old mummy under the floorboards of a lecture theatre on a campus where two and a half tonnes of uranium rods were being stored in a basement nearby and DIDN'T end up with a zombie-pharaoh apocalypse is both a mystery and endlessly disappointing."

"We did, we just passed it off as a Halloween Ball and no one noticed."

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A new discovery of mummies and shabti figurines...

Mummies of ancient Egyptian priests found buried with thousands of afterlife 'servants'
A massive burial ground holding the remains of several high priests of ancient Egypt, along with their assistants, has been discovered in the northern part of the site of Tuna el-Gebel, Egypt's antiquities ministry announced Thursday (Jan. 30).

So far, the archaeologists have unearthed 20 stone sarcophagi (coffins) made of a "very good quality of limestone" in the burial ground, which lies about 170 miles (270 kilometers) south of Cairo, said Mostafa Waziri, the general secretary of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, during a news briefing.

In addition, the burials together contained some 700 amulets, some made of gold or precious stones, along with more than 10,000 shabti figurines made of faience (a glazed ceramic), Waziri said. The ancient Egyptians believed that shabti figurines served the deceased in the afterlife.
https://www.livescience.com/mummies-of-high-priests-in-ancient-egypt.html

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Yes, right bores were the Egyptians...no sense of Archaeological Drama.

But Im sure the Shabti would do the job in the afterlife, less messy.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Another batch of sarcophagi, mummies and ushabti figurines has been discovered in Saqqara and publicized in the last few weeks.
Mummies discovered in burial shaft in Egypt

Egypt's Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities has announced the unearthing of five limestone sarcophagi and four wooden coffins containing human mummies. These incredible archaeological finds were inside a burial shaft stretching nine meters below ground.

This shaft is located in Sacred Animal Necropolis in Saqqara, an ancient burial ground that's about 20 miles south of Cairo and is also home to landmarks including the Step Pyramid, considered to be the world's oldest.

Details of the discovery were shared via a video posted on the ministry's Facebook page earlier this month.

Also excavated from the shaft were an incredible array of small artifacts, including 365 faience ushabti figurines, some inscribed with hieroglyphics. Ushabti are objects, usually small statues, that were buried in Egyptian graves to aid the body in its afterlife. ...

There have been a spate of recent archaeological discoveries in Egypt, following ongoing restoration projects.

On April 24, the Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities also announced the uncovering of a mummy that dates back to Egypt's 17th dynasty, circa 1550 BCE.

A joint Egyptian-Spanish archaeological mission discovered the coffin in the Draa Abul Naga necropolis in Luxor, in the south of Egypt. ...
SOURCE (With Photos & Link To Video):
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/ancient-egypt-discoveries-saqqara/index.html

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, let’s disturb them, what’s the worst that could happen?
To make matters worse, they're not just disturbing the mummies but also taking away their afterlife "toys" (the ushabti figurines). :roll:

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Another recent bejeweled find...

Mummy of ancient Egyptian teenager, buried in fine jewelry, discovered in Luxor

Archaeologists in Egypt have discovered the ancient mummy of a teenage girl decked out in beautiful jewelry, including beaded necklaces and copper earrings, according to the Egyptian Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities.

The teenager was only 15 or 16 years old when she died during the 17th dynasty (1580 B.C. to 1550 B.C.). A team of Spanish and Egyptian archaeologists uncovered her mummified remains, as well as a pair of leather shoes, while excavating ahead of a construction project in an open courtyard by the tomb of General Djehuty, who served under king Thutmose III (stepson and nephew to the female pharaoh Hatshepsut) during the 18th dynasty, José Galán, director of the archaeological mission, said in a statement posted on Facebook.
https://www.livescience.com/ancient-egyptian-teenage-mummy.html

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
A small mummy case understandably believed to hold a mummified hawk turned out to contain a severely malformed / stillborn human fetus. This level of post mortem treatment for a stillborn child is quite rare.
Scientists Thought This Egyptian Mummy Was a Bird, But The Truth Was Something Sadder

A tiny, 2,100-year-old mummy from ancient Egypt had long been thought to contain the remains of a treasured bird - which would make sense, considering the hawk-themed decorations and small size.

But researchers conducting a CT scan back in 2018 found something else entirely - the remains of a severely malformed human foetus, stillborn at no later than 28 weeks.

The mummy had been in storage at the Maidstone Museum in Kent, England, listed in the inventory as EA 493 Mummified Hawk, Ptolemaic Period.

The funerary casement was the perfect size for a bird, bearing the head of a hawk painted in gilt and hieroglyphics referring to Horus, the falcon-headed sky god of the ancient Egyptians.

In addition, the mummification of animals - from crocodiles to cats to kestrels to scarab beetles - was a very common practice in ancient Egypt. So the mummy did not stand out as anything particularly special or unusual.

It nearly didn't even get CT scanned. The museum was having a human mummy scanned in 2016, and figured it may as well put in a few animal mummies from its collection to be scanned too. ...

The team discovered the bones belonged to a human male foetus, between 22 and 28 weeks gestation, with severe spinal abnormalities and a rare birth defect that prevents the brain and skull from developing properly.

"On the basis of the highest resolution scan of a foetal mummy ever made, we've been able to determine this individual was severely anencephalic. It would have been a stillbirth, it would not have lived through birth." Nelson said back in 2018.

"The whole top part of his skull isn't formed. The arches of the vertebrae of his spine haven't closed. His earbones are at the back of his head."

The scans reveal normally formed finger and toe bones, but so serious is the skull deformation, that the brain would have been practically nonexistent. He also had a cleft palate and a cleft lip.

He's also a rarity - one of only eight known mummified foetuses, and only the second every discovered with anencephaly. The first was described in 1826 - nearly 200 years ago. No others have been found since, until EA 493.

The way the remains were preserved mean his family regarded him as special. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/scient...was-a-bird-but-the-truth-was-something-sadder

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Theres a sad story there, but we arent going to be able to hear it.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
In 1974, the mummy of Ramesses II was sent on to Paris for preservation and maintenance work. Since French law required every person, living or dead to fly with a valid passport, Egypt was forced to issue a passport to the Pharaoh, 3,000 years after his death. Here is his passport (I wonder if he would have hated his photo like most of us do?)
20200915_141909.jpg

Last edited: