• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Murderers: How Many Have You Met?

OK, that's it, Plusk is the winner! :D

Close the thread! 8)

Wow, I can't believe I've never seen this thread before.

When I was a kid a family friend shot her husband in the head after several decades of abuse.

A classmate shot one of my friends in the face with a shotgun because he started seeing the girl the killer liked.

A guy i worked with when I lived in the city (he looked like the butler from Rocky Horror) had just gotten off a 20 year stint for "accidentally" killing a cop.

A guy me and my friends used to hang out with was a reformed skin-head who "curbed" a guy who ended up dying. Well, he became reformed during his incarceration.

Suicides probably don't count but as I sit here I can come up with 14

I haven't met any that I know of :shock: but I have met--online--the "wives" of two serial killers.

One was married to Ronald DeFeo Jr (the guy who murdered his family and started the whole "Amityville" thing) and the other was married to Richard Ramirez, the "Night Stalker" of Los Angeles during the 70's.

Mrs. DeFeo ended up getting kicked off the boards :p and I think I personally drove off Mrs. Ramirez by asking her some pointed questions about her hubby's behavior that she didn't want to face.

My bad. :twisted:

I can think of 10 that I know off the top of my head, more if I dwell on it for a while I suppose.
The ones I know right off are school mates and a couple of relatives.

I am now very curious to know what the murder rate is (per capita) in England, America, Australia etc.

If I were a big user of smileys, I'd be using the eyes-popping-out "WTF?" one at that last post. Is it brutally honest, sarcastic, or just a bit random? Seriously - no offence intended (and I do mean that), but I haven't a clue how to take that one.

For myself, I've not knowingly met a murderer face-to-face, although I knew a guy (well, he worked part-time at one of the shops on campus, so a lot of folk knew him a bit) at Uni who tried to burn down his house with his parents inside. That is, he succeeded as far as the house went, but not the parents. I remember his name, but I can't remember exactly how the court case went, so I won't splash it here in case he got off! PM me if you can really be arsed to know who I'm on about.

Other than that, I recently worked with a guy who was related to Ted Bundy, or so he claimed - and he didn't seem the kind to claim that sort of thing if it weren't true.

So, the answer to the question in the thread title is "none - I think!"

As an ex-policeman, I've met loads!

One fascinating assignment I had for several weeks involved travelling to several local prisons to get DNA samples from serving inmates.

During this task I met:

1. Dennis Nilsen

"During a murderous spree lasting five years, he killed at least 15 men."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Nilsen

2. John Duffy

"John Duffy and ***** ******* (both born 1959) are two notorious British rapists and murderers who together attacked numerous women at railway stations in the south of England through the 1980s. They are known as the Railway Rapists and the Railway Killers."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Duffy ... id_Mulcahy

3. The Balcombe Street Gang. (Joseph O'Connell, Edward Butler, Harry Duggan and Hugh Doherty).

"...found guilty at their Old Bailey trial in 1977 of seven murders, conspiring to cause explosions..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balcombe_Street_Siege

Nilsen was pleasant and polite. (He is, after all, an ex-bobby...)

Duffy was a nasty piece of work.

maximus otter

maximus_otter said:
2. John Duffy

"John Duffy and ***** ******* (both born 1959) are two notorious British rapists and murderers who together attacked numerous women at railway stations in the south of England through the 1980s. They are known as the Railway Rapists and the Railway Killers."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Duffy ... id_Mulcahy

What's the reason for the ***s?
edit: the wiki link rather spills the beans.

Unless this is part of your job, I don't see how the crimes of the person you're talking to would come up in polite conversation. "I remember back when I was murdering someone..." Unless their reputation went before them and you'd been told beforehand about their killing, but it's not something I would think to ask about.

Greetings,
My previous post was in all honesty.
It was a very bad night.
PEACE!
=^..^=217

BuckeyeJones said:
Greetings,
My previous post was in all honesty.
Thanks, Buckeye - since querying your last comment, I've been pointed to your earlier post in which you set out some more of the details. I admire your candour, and I wonder what any of us would have done in the same position as you. It comes down to a simple choice, I guess - we'd have done as you did, or we'd be dead. Very little room in between.

I did know someone who was almost a killer (he stabbed someone in a drunken brawl, thankfully the victim lived). This guy was in my seminars and was really aggressive to any criticism of his work. He killed himself before he was brought to trial.

Also, the dinner lady at my primary school stabbed her husband's friend.

I only know would-be murderers, not actual murderers.

My father's good friend was Ted Kaczynski's (the Unabomber) roomate in college briefly, though apparently long enough to be subpoenaed during the trial.

I met Charlie Manson on the Spahn Ranch in 1969 just weeks before the murders. A friend I grew up with that was over weight ended up killing a guy with a 2x4 for making fun of him. I worked for years with a couple guys that did time for murder, one of them becoming a very good friend. His first murder was a guy he caught in bed with his wife when he was a young man in Chicago, just out of the Army about 1963 or so. After he got out of prison he moved to Oakland, Ca. and got in a poker game with a big black man that cheated. He called him a cheat and the guy said, 'what ya gonna do about it?', so he pulled a gun and killed him. About 1998 I met this guy, Wayne Adam Ford, that would come to a friends house and play music with us. He was going through a divorce and having a hard time, driving a gravel truck and real depressed. He quit coming around and after about three months he turned himself in for a string of murders of young girls he would pick up hitch hiking in his long haul truck. He turned himself in because he was afraid he was leading up to murdering his wife and didn't want to leave his child an orphan. Man, there's a lot of nuts and cut throats out there.

I know a couple of gangsters who have shot people dead (never sent down for it).

Couple of people who killed people in barfights (manslaughter)

The lad who killed the Asian lad at Feltham Young Offenders institute.

Erm... Can't think of anymore off the top of my head now, I'm sure there are a few more though but I think they would be manslaughter rather than murder.

Oh, there is of course Dr Shipman, he was my substitute Dr and killed over 300 people, many of which were friends, neighbours and friends grandparents.

My mom worked for the bureaucracy that oversees the state-run mental institutions. While filling in for hospital staff during a strike, she met Ed Gein. This was near the end of his life. She didn't have much to report, just that he didn't seem to know who or where he was. So actually, I may be wrong in claiming my mom met him, if he was that gone. (But then again, wasn't he always out of his mind?)

Me? I've only met a couple of manslaughter-type killers (claiming self-defense) who'd done their time and seemed harmless.

I delivered many a pizza to the London Nailbomber when I was at Uni in Farnborough.

In fact, I also knew the taxi driver that dropped him off at the local firework shop: the place the bomber sourced his gunpowder.

CarlosTheDJ said:
I delivered many a pizza to the London Nailbomber when I was at Uni in Farnborough

What did he eat?

CarlosTheDJ said:
theyithian said:
CarlosTheDJ said:
I delivered many a pizza to the London Nailbomber when I was at Uni in Farnborough

What did he eat?

I can't remember, sorry.

It was a fair few years ago now.....

I was just recalling the 'Bomb the bog' pizza you could order from Lucky's in Leeds. (replete with caveat: make sure there's toilet paper in the fridge).

Well to answer the headline question nine :shock:

I was in prison for quite a while as a young man.

Two of our friends are train drivers and both have run someone over [not deliberately, mind you, they were suicidals]. Once I spoke for ages with a murderer who had done his time, he was still quite young though. I think he murdered the other in a fight.
Apart from that, I reckon everybody has at some point spoken to a murderer.
Butchers are murderers as well in my eyes. Killing a sentient being is murder regardless of species.

I lived with a boyfriend for a few months who was schizophrenic.
Long story short he got worse and worse and I moved out.
A few months later he murdered someone he loved. In his delusion he thought he was saving her from a fate worse than death. (Gulp!)
He went to Broadmoor (secure 'hospital' for the criminally insane in UK).
I used to visit him for years.
Sat drinking coffee a table away from the Yorkshire Ripper and was sexually propositioned by the Cray twin who was there. (Notorious London Gangster).
(told him to sod off incidentally!)
But the scariest part was when all the visitors had lunch together. Most of the family members were weirder and far scarier than any of the 'patients' I came in contact with!
Its a mad world and no mistake.

one of my mates dads, when he was younger, killed someone in a fight (stabbed them) and was convicted, and is the most well mannered, friendly people I have ever met

About a dozen or so whom I knew before they were murderers. A few more who I encountered after the fact when they were part of the penal system.
Probably the most egregious ones were three boys who conspired to murder the ringleader's parents. They were high school students at the time. All were also students of mine at the time. The ringleader was an honor student; the other two were borderline retarded.
Basically, the boy wanted his parents out of the way so he could spend his inheritance from his grandparents. He hired his two classmates to kill them; which they did using a handgun and a shotgun. Within a day or so, the three of them were in custody. They'd gained the attention of the police by going on a shopping spree; literally before the parents were in the ground.
They weren't held long before they started ratting each other out. All three were sentenced to life without parole and are held in separate facilities. None of them were more than 18 at the time, which was 1996, so they are looking at a very, very long time in prison. The "brains of the outfit" has filed appeals of various kinds, all of which have to date been denied.

Many moons ago one guy in my cricket team worked in an administrative capacity at Broadmoor maximum security prison and psychiatric hospital. He arranged a 40 over match between us and a team of the inmates.
Whilst Peter Sutcliffe was a "guest" there at the time, he didn't play, but was apparently watching from his window.
We did win reasonably comfortably, but the inmates put up a decent enough performance. I recall they had one fast bowler, who the others referred to as Chimo (sp?) who took a few of our wickets. Our skipper, who was umpiring at the time, no-balled him on a wicket-taking delivery. "Chimo" turned around, went red in the face and yelled "what!" . I think a couple of men in white coats stepped forward at that point (there did seem to be a lot of "umpires" around the pitch!). Apparently the guy was a serial rapist.
I recall their wicket keeper being a young black guy who was unusually quiet. I was told afterwards that he had murdered and dismembered his mother.
Teas were all pre-packed, with soft, bendy knives and forks.
Weirdest moment was at the end, when the teams shook hands. There was a little good-natured banter and a couple of the inmates said something like "I suppose you're all off down the pub now (and we were). Sorry we can't join you!" .
In fact, most of them just came over as regular, "normal" guys, which somehow makes the fact that they were highly dangerous criminals all the more chilling.

Murderers - technically none, although I did meet a guy who had been found not guilty of three separate murders. He was (genuinely) absolutley charming.

Murder victims - two, both at the place where my wife worked in Ashton in Makerfield. Big employer but still felt overly many for the size of the place.

Back