• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Murderous Ice axe UL

drjbrennan

Ephemeral Spectre
There is an urban legend going around that a day-tripper from Liverpool who visited Betws-y-coed in North Wales, saw a walkers ice axe in a hiking shop window and thought it was a sick joke,referring to the murder of Anthony Walker, and proceeded to make a big fuss about it. As a proper townie, and ignorant of all things rural, she had to be educated that the term referred to the pursuit of hill-walking and not the murder victim.

A similar thing happened in Leeds a few years ago, when the Headingley branch of Jack Fultons had a sign in their window that read "Mad Jack slashes prices this Novemeber"

Unfortunately, Headingley Arndale centre happens to be where one of the Yorkshire Ripper's victims was killed, and people complained the sign was in bad taste, even though Jack Fultons insisted it was a national thing.

Pretty sure the sign got pulled after that.

The other half used to work in a shop selling models, airfix kits and the like. One of the things they sold was film related tat. One such item was the doll of Chucky. It was in the window.
One day (and I was there at the time) a woman stormed into the shop and shouted that they shouldn't be selling it and it was sick and a child died because of that film!
The only thing that we could think of was the murder of Jamie Bulger which some of the tabloids blamed on the Childsplay (was that the one with Chucky in?) film. People do get a bee in their bonnet about the strangest things.

Oh don't get me started. I hate it when children get involved. Like there was a tree last year, that fell on someones car after a particularily stormy night and the next day the owner [mum] of the car said that her kid could have been in there...[what at night?]
Or some wall fell into someones garden recently and the mum also said that her child "could" have been standing there...[yeah could but didn't]
One day in the local news, there was a picture of a chavvy mum with her kid in the push chair, pointing at a branch of a hedgerose that was sticking out at the same hight as her kids face. The text said that she will sue the council for not cutting it off because it "could" go into some childs face.
I told my own mum over the phone about this and she replied [growing up during WW2: "Why didn't she just break it off herself?"
Yeah exactly.

Dingo667 said:
I told my own mum over the phone about this and she replied [growing up during WW2: "Why didn't she just break it off herself?"
Yeah exactly.
Because no one is willing to take responsablily for their own actions any more. Kids can't read, well it's the fault of the schools; trip in the street, it's that fault of the council; teenager's pregnant, the school should have taught her about contraception!

Back