• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Museums Dedicated To Forteana / Oddities / Weirdness

Whitby Museum is a must. Full of stuff some of it gruesome, like The Hand of Glory.

A hand cut from a hanged man that burglars supposedly used as carrying it stopped the occupants of the house waking up!!!

Fantastic museum - link to list of exhibits here Whitby Museum

I dunno, I don't know any more than that, the girl's granny or mother was a medium, thats all there was to the anecdote. My mother is prone to attracting fortean events, aliens, ghosts, apports, cryptos etc. They don't seem to remarkable to her.

Marion said:
I dunno, I don't know any more than that, the girl's granny or mother was a medium, thats all there was to the anecdote. My mother is prone to attracting fortean events, aliens, ghosts, apports, cryptos etc. They don't seem to remarkable to her.

Damn! Still the mearest glimse at weirdness is verry fortean :)

The Kelvingrove in Glasgow had some strange things but it's now closed for a refit and all the stuffed animals and sections of ancient trees will be lost.

Still there's always the Huntarian at the University...let's just say you have to see it. ;)

Yes, I liked the Kelvingrove in Glasgow. Was over there a few years back for a conference and the posh annual dinner was in the Kelvingrove. I managed to sneak off while the boring speeches were going on. Got a photo of the last wolf shot in Scoland. I doubt this though - very prescient to shoot and stuff it, knowing in advance it was the last one!

I was once in a very interesting little museum in Neasden in London. It was on a traffic island, real challenge to reach it through a maze of roads and junctions. There was some connection with Gladstone, I think he lived in the area in retirement. They had a really interesting set up of mock rooms in a typical British family home in different decades of the 20th century. Not very Fortean maybe, but I thought it was fascinating - all the everyday objects placed in correct context. Was there for hours.

in oxford we have some very nice museums like the Pitt-Rivers (shrunken heads and samurai armour, etc) but as far as local stuff goes, all i've seen is some extremely boring exhibits in the town hall.

Space Walks

From UFOs to African-American sci-fi to Paul Allen’s latest museum, take an unexpected trek into the unknown.

by Neal Schindler

Circle?

“Next card.”

Um. Star?

“Next card.”

Square?

Eyes closed, I squinted into blackness, trying to picture the subsequent shape. This was only my second visit to Capitol Hill’s Museum of the Mysteries (MOM), and already things were getting inter- active. To gauge my ESP abilities, curator Charlette LeFevre (who co-directs MOM with librarian Philip Lipson) was using a deck of Zener Cards, each of which depicts one of five images: wave, square, cross, star, or circle. I guessed haphazardly as she flipped each card. At the end of the session, I emerged slightly above average in ESP terms: seven correct guesses in 25 attempts, two more hits than the norm. LeFevre seemed pleased.

“We always underline, when people peek in the door: We’re not that scary,” she assured me. “We want to stay away from what we call the glow-in-the-dark furry stuff. I always say there’s two different platforms—there’s the science and the spirituality. And we’re right on the edge of the science, peering into the unknown.”

LeFevre has a particular interest in “the Roswell of the Northwest,” a 1947 incident in which a pilot named Kenneth Arnold spotted a gaggle of “doughnut-shaped discs” above the Cascades. According to LeFevre, this event was “the case that opened up the modern UFO era.” She hopes to lead an expedition to the site of the incident, where a military plane allegedly crashed on an evidence-concealment mission. “Black lava rock and thin metal strips supposedly fell from this dougnut-shaped disc,” she said. “We plan on searching the area . . . to hopefully find fragments of the plane, and document more of the military’s involvement in this.”

Whatever your opinion of ESP and UFOs, MOM’s exploratory zeal can’t be denied. “To investigate means to scrutinize, to peel away all the perceptual, what I like to call an onion skin,” LeFevre said. “Peel all the perceptual phenomena and explanations away to get at the really raw core of the information.”

MOM holds UFO–related events on a regular basis, including a segment of their upcoming Northwest UFO/Paranormal Event, a four-day conference with two programs on “Sightings, UFOs, and Our National Security” (7 p.m. and 9 p.m. Saturday, May 29; the suggested donation is ). The museum is located at 623 Broadway Ave. E. For more information, visit http://www.seattlechatclub.org or call 206-328-6499.

Back to the Future

On the sci-fi front, the Central District Forum has been planning “Black to the Future: A Black Science Fiction Festival” for 18 months. What Forum Executive Director Stephanie Ellis-Smith describes as “a multidisciplinary arts festival that incorporates film, literature, panels, music, and performing arts” is almost certainly the first event of its type and scope. Likely festival highlights: a four-hour workshop called “Writing the Other,” on the challenges of writing from cultural perspectives beyond one’s own; “The Mothership Connection,” a panel on black science fiction in music; an onstage interview with acclaimed Seattle-based sci-fi author Octavia Butler; and two nights of film screenings, including the recently released Sun Ra documentary, Space Is the Place, various live-action and anime shorts, and the 1984 John Sayles classic, Brother From Another Planet. “Black to the Future” takes place June 11–13; opening-night tickets cost , while Saturday and Sunday passes are in advance and at the door. Visit http://www.cdforum.org/bttf or call 206-323-4032 for details.

Sci-fi at the Blob

Slated to open on June 18, the Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame (whose development SW’s Tim Appelo chronicled in his April 14 article, “Future Cred”) promises to be a multimedia extravaganza of sci-fi lore. Permanent exhibits include “Them,” a rundown of alien beings as imagined by 20th-century authors and filmmakers; “Brave New Worlds,” a catalog of futurescapes; “Fantastic Voyages,” a roundup of sci-fi transportation (almost sure to include “Beam me up, Scotty!”); and a hall of fame saluting pioneering writers and directors in the genre. And get ready for this: The guest list at the grand opening ceremony (10 a.m. Friday, June 18) could include such high-watt celebrities as Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, and board Chairman Greg Bear. The museum is located within EMP at 325 Fifth Ave. N. For the intergalactic skinny, visit http://www.sciencefictionexperience.com or call 206-SCI-FICT.

Sky Tour

If you’re looking to separate science fact from fiction, drop by the Willard Smith Planetarium, part of the Pacific Science Center. Trained demonstrators provide visitors with guided tours of the night sky, answering questions. (For more along this line, see adjacent box.) Located at 200 Second Ave. N. in Seattle Center, the PSC is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, and from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekends; admission is for adults, .50 for seniors, and for children (3–12). Visit http://www.pacsci.org/planetarium or call 206-443-2385.

Starlore

The unsung hero of exploration— whether astronautic or earthbound—is navigation, a complex collection of mechanisms we use to find our way around. Navigation is vital to big-time explorers, but even the humblest humans can look to the sky for direction, as the Museum of History and Industry’s new program “Finding Your Way” amply demonstrates. Open through the end of January, the interactive exhibit invites visitors to manipulate a sextant, learn about celestial navigation using a scale model of the Earth, and stand below a transparent half-dome to give star-based latitude deduction a try. At 2 p.m. on Saturday, July 17, in conjunction with “Finding Your Way,” the museum is presenting “Native American Starlore,” a primer on American Indian stargazing methods. Admission to all exhibits is for adults, for seniors and youth (under 17). MOHAI is located at 2700 24th Ave. E.; visit http://www.seattlehistory.org or call 206-324-1126.

Robo Sumo

To conclude your sci-fi summer on an R2D2 note, check out Robothon, the Seattle Robotics Society’s yearly homage to bodies electric. The free-of-charge festival highlights innovations in robot construction and features “many robotic competitions and activities,” including robot sumo wrestling. Robothon takes place Sept. 25–26, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day, at the Center House in Seattle Center. Additional info is available at http://www.robothon.org.

http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/0421/040526_sg_spacewalks.php

maybe this thread should be merged with stellaboulton's museum thread?

Faggus said:
maybe this thread should be merged with stellaboulton's museum thread?

OK done - there are some other occaisonal museum threads floating around that I can also throw in here so it makes sense to have a general thread for this kind of stuff ;)

Emps

More on the opening of Seattle's Sci-Fi Museum this Friday

That Emporer's post mentioned above...

Sci-fi museum going for more than geek appeal

Tuesday, June 15, 2004 Posted: 2:30 PM EDT (1830 GMT)

SEATTLE, Washington (AP) -- The director of Seattle's new science fiction museum wants to get people thinking about "What if."

"What if your best friend was an alien?" Donna Shirley asks. "What if you could erase things from your past? It gives people permission to speculate. ... We want to get kids thinking about what could really happen."

In other words, the museum is going for more than geek appeal, though it has plenty of that. Among the exhibits are Captain Kirk's original command chair from "Star Trek" (no, you can't sit in it), an interactive space station exhibit, fan magazines, posters and a ray-gun collection that could get the NRA excited about galaxies far, far away.

The Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame, created with $20 million from Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, opens June 18 in a remodeled section of his other museum -- the Experience Music Project. Appropriately, the museum's shiny, twisted, futuristic building designed by Frank Gehry is at the foot of the Space Needle, and the Monorail -- a 1960s conception of future travel -- runs through it.

Exhibits track the genre from Mary Shelley's 1818 novel "Frankenstein" through the prescient atomic war stories of the early 1940s, TV's "The Jetsons," "2001: A Space Odyssey," "Star Wars" and "The Matrix."

For most of her adult life, Shirley has been involved in real-life space travel, working at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory on missions to every planet except Pluto and helping put a rover on Mars.

Now she's returning to the stuff that first fired her imagination at age 11.

"That's what science fiction is about," she said.
Looking to the future

Allen, ranked by Forbes magazine as the world's fifth-richest man, says he began reading sci-fi in grade school. As his wealth grew, so did his collection of sci-fi pulp fiction, and many of the museum's artifacts, including Kirk's chair, come from his private stash.

He echoes Shirley when talking about science fiction.

"It gives people an unfettered ability to look at the future and think about the future ... and thinking about the future in interesting ways has always been something I've tried to do."

Indeed, Allen and buddy Bill Gates started building Microsoft in an era when regular people didn't even dream of owning their own computers.

One museum section, "Not-so-weird Science," shows how technology has advanced to nearly fulfill concepts devised by sci-fi writers.

"Frankenstein" and Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World" are conceptual cousins of today's genetic engineering, the exhibits suggest, and "1984" seems more relevant as governments and businesses develop new ways to track their citizens and customers. Sex-change operations and cosmetic surgery could be out of the gender-bending writings of Theodore Sturgeon in the early 1960s.

One of the coolest sections is the interactive, computer-animated display that mimics a space station. Ships float past, from the Enterprise of "Star Trek" and the Millennium Falcon of "Star Wars" to the goofy Planet Express of the TV cartoon series "Futurama." Visitors can see images of the ships from any angle, and learn about their dimensions and features.

Another highlight is a globe-shaped projection screen developed by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Using four projectors, it can accurately display the surface of planets -- from Jupiter to the ice world Hoth from "The Empire Strikes Back."

The museum hopes to attract 100,000 visitors in its first year.

"If you read a thriller, it's pretty much: 'here's the way things really are,"' Shirley says. "Science fiction says 'here's where things could be.' That's what endeared it to me. It's a very powerful medium."

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/DESTINATIONS/06/15/scifi.museum.ap/index.html

Museum exhibit collection 'beyond bizarre'

James Hannah
Associated Press
Jun. 21, 2004 08:45 AM

DAYTON, Ohio - John Dillinger's gun. A light bulb still filled with water from the city's 1913 flood. A gas meter speared by a stick of wood from the 1974 Xenia tornado.

These and other items found in the storerooms of historical society museums around Ohio and Indiana have been put on display at the Boonshoft Museum of Discovery in an exhibit titled: "Curious Collections: An Exhibit Beyond Bizarre."

"This is just weird stuff that ends up in museums' collections," said Brian Hackett, executive director of the Montgomery County Historical Society. "Every museum's got things that they are kind of embarrassed to show or let people know that they have because it doesn't fit the academic or history approach. So we thought, let's dust it off and let people see what we don't want them to see."

Graduate students in the public history class Hackett teaches at Wright State University put the exhibit together as part of a class project. Over five weeks, the students found and collected the items and then built the displays.

Among the 70-plus items:

- a photograph taken inside the Marietta Library about 1900 that appears to show a ghost standing between two windows;

- the tattered leather shoe blown off a Dayton woman's foot after she was struck by lightning and lived to tell about it;

- the trap door of a gallows dubbed "the door of no return." It was used to hang people in downtown Dayton in 1876 and 1877;

- the pants of John Van Cleve, a founding father of Dayton who weighed 300 pounds and had a 77-inch waist;

- blown-up photos from NCR Corp. showing a chimpanzee and a horse operating the company's cash registers to show how simple they were to use;

- three skulls all purported to be that of William Hewitt, a hermit who lived in a cave south of Chillicothe and helped wagon trains cross the hills in the early 1800s.

It is the first public display of Dillinger's gun. The weapon was confiscated by police who arrested the famed bank robber at a Dayton boarding house in 1933. Officers had the weapon engraved and presented it to the police chief. His family donated the gun to the Montgomery County Historical Society earlier this month.

The floodwater-filled light bulb was found by workers with the Dayton Lighting Co. after the 1913 flood, which sent waters as deep as 27 feet streaming down the streets of Dayton.

"It's pretty neat. I like unusual," Kristi Austin said Friday as she, her husband and three children took in the exhibit. "We're history buffs. We like that kind of thing."

The exhibit opened June 7 and is to run through the end of the year. Attendance at the museum is up, jumping from 5,445 in the first two weeks of June 2003 to 6,991 for the same period this year.

"It certainly has had some effect," said Lynn Simonelli, the museum's curator of anthropology.

Hackett said he was a little concerned about the sideshow aspect of the exhibit and said a few historical societies chose not to participate because they did not want to be ridiculed.

"We think that they made a mistake, but we also think that's the reason why most of these things are never seen," Hackett said. "I think you've got the dirty little secret, you might as well air it out."

---
On the Net:

http://www.boonshoftmuseum.org/

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0621bizarreexhibit-ON.html

Don't forget the Ilfracombe Museum, which has a case full of pieces of mouldering Victorian wedding cake from nuptials of various worthies of Ilfracombe.

And it has a tableau of stuffed birds depicting 'Who Killed Cock Robin?'

Before its refurbishment, the Dorman Museum at Middlesbrough had a wonderful exhibit of a lion standing proudly over the body of a zebra, which had a big chunk bitten out of its neck. Rather misleading, as it's usually the lioness who does the hunting, but no doubt the then curators wouldn't have countenanced such feminist notions.

And there used to be a wonderful exhibit about food contamination with a plate of chops with bluebottles all over it.

Carole

Yuk. There used to be an 'art installation' in the window of a closed shop in Temple Bar in Dublin. It consisted of a rough pyramid of bread, would have been several sliced pans in it. It was there for months, getting steadily greener and curling more about the edges. Couldn't see the point myself.

There is a pub up near Mount Snowdon in Wales, can't recall the name of it but it is the main starting off point for people climbing the mountain. Is more like a museum of mountaineering as it has material from all over the world. On our visit I put out my had to turn around a hanging object to see what it was. It was a shrunken head, with the lips laced up and all. I was holding the long black hair. Was a bit of a shock as I'd not seen one in real life before. My friend nearly fainted though as she had never even seen a picture of one. She had to sit down and drink strong tea!

I've only been to Torquay the once but the impression the local museum made on me will last forever. It had an exhibition of photographs of dead people, like in 'The Others' but arranged more to look as if they were alive and asleep.

They were taken by 19th century photographers who'd hang around churches on funeral days. The idea was that even the poorest families could afford a photograph of their late departed.
Many photos were of babies and children.

There are hundreds and hundreds in the museum's collection. Really brought home the awful death rate from infectious diseases in the past.
:eek:

So...a big chunk of rock drops from the sky...what do you do next?

At a quarry near High Possil, on the northern outskirts of Glasgow, a smoking trail crashed into the ground with a loud thud, alarming the men working there, as well as many other witnesses, including two small boys and a dog.The quarrymen found a hole about 18 inches deep and 15 inches wide, and at the bottom of it, a black rock, which they threw aside, as they had been expecting to find a cannonball.

I like the detale of the dog being there.

I can just see him looking at the hole in the ground in a desidedly sideways way :D

Museum curator airs dirty little secrets of history in bizarre Ohio display

James Hannah
Canadian Press

Saturday, August 21, 2004

DAYTON, Ohio (AP) - A tattered leather shoe blown off a woman's foot after she was struck by lightning. A light bulb still filled with water from the 1913 flood. A gas meter speared by a stick of wood from a tornado in 1974.

Curious? The Boonshoft Museum of Discovery is counting on it.

For an exhibition that has helped boost museum attendance, the executive director of the Montgomery County Historical Society and some graduate students in a public history class he teaches hit the storerooms of historical societies and museums in search of the bizarre.

"The fact is people just like seeing strange and interesting stuff," said Brian Hackett, who teaches at Wright State University. "We're competing with television. We're competing with Disney World. Don't lose your education leanings, but you still need to make it fun for people to come."

The Boonshoft added John Dillinger's Colt .38, in its first public viewing, for "Curious Collections: An Exhibit Beyond Bizarre." The 70-plus display draws from 10 historical societies and museums around Ohio and Indiana.

Among the other finds of Hackett's 13 students:

-A photograph taken inside the Marietta Library about 1900 that appears to show a ghost standing between two windows.

-The trap door of a gallows dubbed "the door of no return." It was used to hang people in downtown Dayton in 1876 and 1877.

-The pants of John Van Cleve, a founding father of Dayton who weighed 300 pounds and a waist nearly 200 centimetres around.

-Blown-up photos from NCR Corp. showing a chimpanzee and a horse operating the company's cash registers to show how simple they were to use;

-Three skulls all purported to be those of William Hewitt, a hermit who lived in a cave south of Chillicothe and helped wagon trains cross the hills in the early 1800s.

Hackett's students found the artifacts and built the displays for the museum.

"This is just weird stuff that ends up in museum's collections," Hackett said. "Every museum's got things that they are kind of embarrassed to show or let people know that they have because it doesn't fit the academic or history approach. So we thought let's dust it off and let people see what we don't want them to see."

Dillinger's weapon, a super-automatic with a blue finish, was seized by police who arrested the famed bank robber at a Dayton boarding house on Sept. 22, 1933.

Acting on a tip, detectives staked out the rooming house and cornered Dillinger, who was visiting his girlfriend there. Two officers burst into the room with shotguns drawn as Dillinger was showing the woman photos from a cultural exhibition in Chicago, where he lived. He never got the chance to reach for the pistol he carried on his hip and was arrested, but he later escaped.

The officers had the weapon engraved and presented it to their police chief. The chief's family donated it to the Montgomery County Historical Society in May.

---------------------
The water-filled light bulb was found by workers with the Dayton Lighting Co. after the 1913 flood, which sent waters as deep as eight metres streaming down the streets of Dayton.

"It's pretty neat. I like unusual," Kristi Austin said of the exhibit as she, her husband and three children took in the items soon after it opened June 7. "We're history buffs. We like that kind of thing."

The exhibit is to run through the end of the year and attendance was up, said the museum's curator of anthropology, Lynn Simonelli.

"It certainly has had some effect," she said of the bizarre collection.

Hackett said he was a little concerned about the sideshow aspect of the exhibit and said a few historical societies chose not to participate because they did not want to be ridiculed.

"We think that they made a mistake, but we also think that's the reason why most of these things are never seen," he said. "I think you've got the dirty little secret, you might as well air it out."

Source

Museum of Mystery play.

Tourist: Excuse me.

Local(enthusiastic): Hi.

Tourist: Er...could you tell me where the...the museum of Mystery is please?

Local: The what?

Tourist: The museum of Mystery?

Local (flumoxed): I dunno.

Tourist (ticked off): Oh, that's just f*cking great, you're about the hundreth person I've asked in like the past twenty minutes. That's just great. Yeah.

Local: Sorry.

Tourist (calming down): No, please...don't...don't apologise. It's ok.

Local: Right.

Tourist: Sorry to have bothered you.

New Museum Of Odd Things

An Ohio museum has opened an exhibition of bizarre historical artefacts in a bid to boost attendances.

The exhibits include tattered leather shoe blown off a woman's foot after she was struck by lightning, a light bulb still filled with water from the 1913 flood and a gas meter speared by a stick of wood from a tornado in 1974.

Curious? The Boonshoft Museum of Discovery is counting on it.

The executive director of the Montgomery County Historical Society and some graduate students in a public history class he teaches hit the storerooms of historical societies and museums in search of the bizarre.

"The fact is people just like seeing strange and interesting stuff," said Brian Hackett, who teaches at Wright State University. "We're competing with television. We're competing with Disney World. Don't lose your education leanings, but you still need to make it fun for people to come."

The Boonshoft added John Dillinger's Colt .38, in its first public viewing, for "Curious Collections: An Exhibit Beyond Bizarre." The 70-plus display draws from 10 historical societies and museums around Ohio and Indiana.

Among the other finds of Hackett's 13 students are a photograph taken inside the Marietta Library about 1900 that appears to show a ghost standing between two windows.

Other exhibits include the trap door of a gallows dubbed "the door of no return," which was used to hang people in downtown Dayton in 1876 and 1877.

Mythical Creatures: Accounts of Unidentified Living Organism

Fearsome creatures gave Edo folk a good laugh

Midori Matsuzawa Daily Yomiuri Staff Writer

In Japan, some children are still told that kappa water imps inhabit rivers. Kappa are creatures that look like young children with sharp beaks for mouths and bald patches on the top of their heads. Children are often warned not to stray too near rivers lest a mischievous kappa pull them into the water.

Since ancient times, strange mythical creatures are said to have been seen by humans, and in Japan the kappa is a classic example of such a creature.

Sightings and accounts of kappa have been recorded in various documents over the years. But perhaps more surprising than the numerous sightings of the creatures reported in text are the kappa "mummies" in existence today, which show us what they are supposed to look like.

A temple in Osaka, for example, owns what is said to be the mummy of a kappa. The mummy, which was given to the temple in the late 17th century, has a fishlike face, four thin limbs, and fingers and toes that look disproportionately long for its 70-centimeter-long body. Seeing this kind of object may make some people believe that some kind of kappa-like creature really did exist.

This kappa mummy is one of the exhibits of Japan's Mythical Creatures: Accounts of Unidentified Living Organisms, a show currently taking place at Kawasaki City Museum in Kanagawa Prefecture. The show provides a comprehensive overview of Japanese mythical creatures from kappa and ogres to mermaids and mermen, to dragons and raiju (thunder beasts) and more. The exhibition also covers a number of supernatural creatures allegedly sighted in modern times such as the tsuchinoko--an enigmatic venomous snake.

On display are drawings and books from the Edo period (1603-1868) and newspaper articles written during the Meiji era (1868-1912).

But while these make for interesting material, they don't quite compare to seeing the "remains" of these creatures.

At the exhibition, a mummified ogre in a sitting position can be viewed. It gives a strong image of size--its sitting height is about 1.2 meters--while a mummy of a merman, much smaller at about 50 centimeters, has a wizened face leading to a stronger impression of age.

Visitors can also see an elongated nail said to have belonged to a long-nosed tengu goblin. This particular nail has been treated as a treasured object by a temple in Saitama Prefecture.

A Shizuoka Prefecture temple, on the other hand, possesses a scroll featuring a letter of apology supposedly written by a tengu captured by the temple's head priest in the mid-17th century. The tengu was forced to apologize for harassing travelers.

Although these mythical creatures are supposed to be just that, how on earth did these "mummies" come into existence and how did they manage to survive until the current day?

Exhibition curator Noriko Takahashi said people in the past apparently combined monkeys and other kinds of animals to create these "mummies" with paper used in many cases to conceal the joints.

"It's not our exhibition's aim to identify what the mummies on display have been made of through DNA examinations, for example," she said. Instead, the museum aims to explore how the mythical creatures have existed in the Japanese imagination, she added.

The various kinds of mythical creatures on display demonstrate how vivid imaginations were at the time. Takahashi takes raiju as an example. Raiju are beasts that fall from the skies during thunderstorms. Drawings of this kind of creature show great variety, with raiju portrayed as being catlike at times and more similar to sea dragons at others.

"During thunder storms, people used to stay inside their homes and shut all their doors and windows so they couldn't see anything outside," the curator said. "Once the thunder and lighting stopped, they would emerge from their dwellings and see broken tree branches and other signs of storm damage, and I think this kind of thing inspired imaginations to create the mythical beasts."

Some of these mythical creatures were supposed to be helpful to humans. For example, some provided protection against transmittable diseases. Others, though, were considered deadly to humans. According to one exhibit, a report dated in 1843, a five-meter-long monster killed 13 samurai officials and others digging a canal near Inba Marsh in Chiba Prefecture.

In contrast to the horrendous details of the incident, the monster depicted in an image to go with the report doesn't really look like a heinous attacker. It's hard to believe that the monster's seallike body was really so large, and its monkeylike face looks more than a little on the humorous side.

Takahashi pointed out that the mythical creatures portrayed by Japanese generally have a humorous aspect.

"I think it's interesting these monsters don't look at all as frightening or powerful as indicated by the stories that describe them," Takahashi said, adding that through the imaginary creatures, she had come to better appreciate the sense of humor and wit of Edo-period people.

------------------------
Until Sept. 5 at Kawasaki City Museum, a 10-minute bus ride from the North Exit of Musashi Kosugi Station on the JR and Tokyu lines. Open 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Closed on Mondays. Admission is 900 yen for adults, 500 yen for students and free for primary and middle school students and those aged 65 and older. Call (044) 754-4500 or visit http://home.catv.ne.jp/hh/kcm

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/newse/20040826woaa.htm

The stiletto killer and the anal probe

November 20 2004 at 01:44PM

By Douglas Carew

The University of Cape Town (UCT) is celebrating its 175th anniversary with an exhibition which includes a stuffed orangutan, the skeleton of a duck-billed platypus and a woman's stiletto-heeled shoe used to commit a murder - with a piece of skull still attached to the heel.

The exhibition - which opens on Monday and runs until April - is called Curiosity CLXXV (that's 175 in Roman numerals). It is curated by artists Pippa Skotnes, Gwen van Embden and Fritha Langerman who had to find visual ways to tell the university's story.

The exhibits they collected from some of the university's quirkier staffers speak volumes about UCT's achievements in fields ranging from science to the humanities.

Skotnes, who heads the Michaelis School of Fine Art, took Weekend Argus on a guided tour this week pointing out everything from the log book of Chris Barnard's first heart transplant in December 1967 to a pair of used running shoes - sensibly stored behind glass - that belonged to sports scientist Tim Noakes.

The heart transplant was not the only world-first notched up by the university. It also came up with the first pregnancy test, the famous "frog test" which involved a platana frog which was served the woman's urine. "If the frog went on to lay eggs, the woman was pregnant," Skotnes said.

Visitors with a taste for the macabre will be drawn to items supplied by the Department of Forensic Pathology. These include the deadly shoe lent to the exhibition by Professor Deon Knobel.

Apparently, police investigating that case were unable to find a murder weapon until the link was made between the shoe and the narrow hole in the victim's skull.

Skotnes is keenly aware of the popular attraction of these gruesome artifacts, and eagerly highlighted other elements. But her favourite was marginally less disturbing, a collection of tiny dassie (rock rabbit) skulls.

Apparently all dassies are born in November and their teeth record their ageing, so archaeologists John Parkington and Cedric Poggenpoel discovered they could date the seasonal human occupation of sites by the dassie skeletons.

"The dassies are a kind of archaeological clock," Skotnes said.

The curators have also placed seemingly unconnected exhibits alongside one another, to enable them "to speak across disciplines". One of the more obvious involves Noakes and Helen Moffett, of the African Gender Institute, who share an interest in the phenomenon of reverse swing.

Reverse swing, in cricketing terms, was popularised and perfected by fearsome Pakistani fast bowlers, and involves the ball moving in a direction that seems to be physically impossible.

Skotnes said Noakes was interested in how batsmen perceived the moving ball, while Moffet applied the concept of reverse swing to her study of post-colonial theory.

"Moffet uses reverse swing metaphorically as an indication of how people in the colonies took up the game and started to play in a way that challenged the centre (their former colonial ruler England)."

Maths and science boffins who visit the exhibition will be able to entertain themselves by wrestling with a complex formula provided by Dean of Science Daya Reddy. Apparently anyone who solves the formula can claim a million dollars from the United States government.

Humanity at its worst is depicted through a display of Jewish books which were confiscated by the Nazis and somehow made their way into the university's library, and by reminders of South Africa's racist past and apartheid's impact on tertiary education.

Chronologically, the exhibition literally runs from more than a million years ago (early stone age tools provided by the archaeology department) to present-day cutting-edge research into genetically modified food.

The latter involves cell biologist Jennifer Thompson who aims to isolate a drought-resistant gene from the resurrection plant found in the Drakensberg to produce a maize plant that requires little rain to prosper.

Skotnes may have her favourites but most visitors to the exhibition will struggle to forget the 50cm-long steel medical tool used in anal-inspections, shamelessly named The Truelove-Salt Biopsy Instrument.

The exhibition opens at 5.30pm on Monday in the Hiddingh Hall at the Michaelis School of Fine Art in Orange Street, Gardens. It will run until April and will be open Mondays to Saturdays from 10am to 5pm.

Source

January 22, 2005

Museum to exhibit unsolved mysteries, UFOs

"He says the sun came out last night. He says it sang to him." — An Indian translator in the film "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"

By By MARK S. KRZOS
[email protected]
Published by news-press.com on January 21, 2005

One of the greatest unsolved mysteries of the 20th century will land at the Southwest Florida Museum of History on Saturday.

For the first time since the July 2, 1947, crash of an alleged unidentified flying object, artifacts, sworn affidavits and government documents will be seen somewhere other than Roswell, N.M.

Get ready history buffs, conspiracy theorists, UFO fanatics and space cadets, because "The Roswell Exhibit" promises to be a unique close encounter of the otherworldly kind.

"This is the first time anyone has been able to use the copyrighted materials and dioramas," says Matt Johnson, the museum's general manager.

After securing the rights to the King Tut exhibit, which, like the Roswell Exhibit came through the International Museum of Texas, Johnson says he and the museum officials forged a friendly relationship.

What happened at Roswell remains an unresolved mystery to many. Johnson points out that the Roswell Museum in Roswell, N.M., is the third-most visited museum in the United States.

"We knew it would get people excited and bring people to the museum," Johnson says, adding that the exhibit has been in the works for two years. "When I came here three years ago, the biggest hurdle was getting people to know we exist. One way to do it was to set one side of the museum up for traveling exhibits."

Helena Suter, the museum's marketing manager, has creating an ambiguous buzz about the exhibit using advertising.

"People from 10 to 80 years old are interested in this," she says. "Everyone loves a good mystery."

And at the heart of this mystery is Stanton Friedman.

Friedman is a nuclear physicist who worked for McDonnell Douglas on classified, and eventually canceled, projects — think of nuclear aircraft, fission and fusion rockets and you get the picture.

He also was the civilian investigator of the Roswell Incident who then co-wrote "Crash at Corona: The Definitive Study of the Roswell Incident."

Friedman is not a "Spooky" Mulder, the FBI agent who investigated the unexplained on the TV series "X-Files." Friedman does not believe in every UFO sighting, close encounter or abduction.

Friedman says the federal government has its reasons for keeping the Roswell incident and others under wraps.

"If you look at it from a historical perspective, you can understand the cover-up," he says. "We just finished WWII, the Marshall Plan was in effect, and we were at the beginning of the Cold War," he says. "This was not something that needed to get out.

"It was a new era and recovering an extraterrestrial aircraft was an extraordinary event," he says. "It meant that man was not alone, that aliens were not perfect, the government was involved in a cover-up and it implied that someone had the technology to get here from somewhere else."

Possessing that technology, Friedman says, could have put the owner at a significant advantage both economically and militarily.

"What we've been dealing with is a cosmic Watergate," says Friedman, who believes that only some UFOs are alien spacecraft.

Throughout his investigations, Friedman says about 10 percent of adults believe that they have seen a UFO.

But Friedman has a harder time explaining other alien-related events. Among them, alien abductees, who say they have been pulled into a spacecraft and probed; physical trace cases that are like crop circles except that a UFO is seen near the ground; crop circles that are elaborate designs and often created by man; and cattle mutilations.

"Abductees don't want publicity, and they didn't want to be violated," he says.

Physical trace cases involve the actual sighting of a UFO near the ground.

"What happens is that the ground becomes burned or dried out," he says. "We've tested it and found that nothing would grow there."

Cattle mutilations also fall into Friedman's gray area. One question that's perplexed him, for example, is how can a 2,000-pound buffalo have its organs removed without any evidence of blood.

Skeptics have refuted mutilations by offering explanations such as lightning killing the animal and then scavengers such as buzzards picking away at the softest flesh, typically genitals and the rectum.

"There would still be evidence of blood," Friedman says. "And ranchers try to keep their livestock away from areas with a lot of lightning."

Johnson won't say whether he believes in little green men or their flying saucers — and it's not the museum's place to take sides.

"We're not here to prove aliens were in Roswell, N.M., but to show how a minor historical event can turn into an international phenomenon," Johnson says.

IF YOU GO

• What: The Roswell Exhibit
• Where: Southwest Florida Museum of History, 2300 Peck St. in downtown Fort Myers
• When: Debuts at 10 a.m. Saturday and continues through Friday, Aug. 12.
• Cost: $9.50 for adults, $8.50 for seniors and $4 for children.
• Hours: Museum hours are 10 a.m.-5p.m., Tuesday-Saturday and Sundays from noon-4 p.m.
• Info: Call 332-5955.

----------
Roswell timeline

The following is a timeline of events surrounding the crash 30 miles outside Roswell, N.M.

• June 24: Pilot Kenneth Arnold, a member of the Idaho Search and Rescue Flyers, encounters a chain of nine shining objects that he claims were traveling over the Cascade Mountains at 1,700 mph.
• July 2: Rancher Mac Brazel hears a loud crash near Corona, N.M.
• July 3: Brazel discovers crash debris.
• July 6: Brazel shows the Roswell sheriff pieces of the debris.
• July 7: Military, including Maj. Jesse Marcel, visit the crash site and retrieve some debris. Marcel later shows some of it to his family.
• July 9: The military announces that the crash was a weather balloon.
• Marcel announces that the Roswell weather balloon story was a cover-up.

— SOURCE: Southwest Florida Museum of History

-------------
Some of the things you'll find at the Roswell exhibit:

• A model of the alien autopsy
• The actual broadcast of the Roswell crash
• Twenty video clips of UFOs spotted around the world
• Government documents
• Newspaper clippings
• Photos
• A Jacopo del Sellaio painting of the Virgin Mary with child. The 15th century painting shows a man in the background looking toward the heavens and seeing what appears to be a UFO.

Source

What fun!

I love those old fashioned museums, with loads of strange objexts -often out of context in big glass cases.

I dont have much time for new ones.

Monday, January 31, 2005

Mysteries lurk between the walls of Capitol Hill museum

By D. PARVAZ
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

The truth is out there -- heck, it could even exist in a basement in Capitol Hill.

Amid the bars, fetish shops and cool-kid boutiques on Broadway you'll find Seattle Museum of the Mysteries. If for some reason you miss the museum's name on the brown awning outside, just look for the purple-clad dwarf inhabiting the stairwell (hello, photo opportunity!).

The space downstairs can be underwhelming. You may find either one of the museum's co-directors, Philip Lipson or Charlette LeFevre, manning the front desk. Pay the $3 suggested donation and go inside to see ... a room lined with shabby bookshelves.

Wait. Don't leave. It's three bucks -- you can't even buy a large latte for that kind of chump change. In a city accustomed to high-tech razzle-dazzle, this place is an oddity. It's a bit like the dusty basement of an eccentric aunt or uncle.

Those old bookcases hold some pretty neat stuff -- and if you just let your guard down, you could get sucked into all the ghost stories, UFO tidbits and Bigfoot info.

"We're really not into the whole New Age thing," says Lipson, adding, "We're not really true believers either." In other words, he and the other members of the Seattle UFO Paranormal Group (which formed in 1998) just find this stuff interesting.

They opened the museum a year ago, and Lipson says they've been thrilled with the response.

"We get all sorts of people through here," he says, including large groups of school kids.

There's a little bit here for everyone.

From ghost stories and photos of apparitions in Seattle Landmarks (Did you know Pike Place Market is haunted?) to information on the gadgets used by the Amateur Ghost Hunters of Seattle Tacoma (A.G.H.O.S.T.) -- they actually use equipment to hear the voices of ghosts, like Michael Keaton does in the movie "White Noise."

If UFOs are more your speed, you're in the right spot: The first official UFO sighting took place near Mount Rainier on July 24, 1947. It turns out someone else spotted a UFO on July 21 of the same year over Vashon Island, but the July 24 one is considered the first official, reported sighting.

You can hear a tape recording of Kenneth Arnold, the man who clocked the UFO's flight between Mount Rainier and Mount Adams at just under 2 minutes, being interviewed by a radio station. It's oddly gripping: There's a sense of wonder in Arnold's voice that's infectious, nearly 60 years later.

For those who like their mysteries in a more organic package, there's Bigfoot -- a map of sightings, replicas of casts, photos, etc. This isn't to say that there really is or isn't a Bigfoot, but somehow the idea of a big, friendly giant ape-type roaming through heavily wooded areas is kinda sweet.

There's much more in there -- the shelves are crammed with books on all sorts of conspiracies, and, yes, Elvis has a place there, too.

"We're hoping to offer something to inspire people's sense of wonder," says Lipson.

To that end, you'll find some non sequiturs there -- a little something on Frances Farmer (the tragic Seattle actress), mysterious and overlooked inventor Nikola Tesla and even an oxygen bar ($5 for a five-minute treatment). Why this stuff? Because all of them have an outsider-ish element to them. Farmer was forcefully institutionalized; Tesla (aka the Forgotten Father of Technology) died a pauper despite his prolific knack for invention and innovation.

As for the oxygen tank: "Well, that's just here because it's considered alternative," says Lipson. "It's not accepted by the traditional medical community."

Ultimately, he says the museum should be a place where people feel free to come in, take a load off and chat about whatever -- a community center of sorts.

"We're a lot of different things to a lot of different people," says Lipson.

"There are very few places like this."

SEATTLE MUSEUM OF THE MYSTERIES

EXHIBITS, LIBRARY, CULTURAL CENTER

WHAT: Exhibits on regional mysteries and art gallery, plus weekly special events, movie nights, etc.

WHERE: 623 Broadway E.

HOURS: Monday-Thursday, 11:30 a.m.- 9 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 11:30 a.m.-midnight; Sunday, 1-8 p.m.

TICKETS: Suggested donation of $3 for adults, $2 children ages 8-16. Children under 8 free. Annual membership $24. For more information, call 206-328-6499 or go to www.seattlechatclub.org

Source

SAN FRANCISCO

S.F. takes grilled sandwich with a dab of skepticism at Believe It or Not Museum

Virgin Mary image supposedly can be seen in grill pattern

Steve Rubenstein, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, February 17, 2005

The possibly miraculous grilled cheese sandwich arrived in San Francisco on Wednesday, accompanied by bodyguards.

It will be here for five days only. The grilled cheese sandwich has prior commitments and cannot long remain.

"We're excited to have it,'' said Ian Iljas, manager of the Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum at Fisherman's Wharf, which is hosting the sandwich during its Bay Area visit.

Banners hung from the museum entrance. The eyes of the bug-eyed wax man seemed to bug out just a bit more as the sandwich was unveiled in a prime location, next to the 2-foot-wide ball of string and the vampire-killing kit.

The sandwich is said to bear the image of the Virgin Mary in its grill marks. It was cooked 10 years ago by a Florida woman, who sold it in November to an Internet casino for $28,000. The casino took the sandwich on a nationwide tour, out of the goodness of its heart.

"People need to find spirituality these days,'' said Eric Amgar, the sandwich's advance man. "There's nothing wrong with helping them to do that.''

The sandwich was facing a spiritual tough sell in San Francisco, however, where absolutely no one thought the image was that of the Virgin Mary.

"Looks like Mae West,'' said Joyce McGregor, a visitor from Perth, Australia. "Maybe Jean Harlow.''

"That's supposed to be the Virgin Mary?'' said Daniel Garside, a visitor from Huddersfield, England. "Looks like a piece of bread to me.''

"I'm not profoundly moved,'' said Susie Swentosky, of Billings, Mont., who took time out from her honeymoon to look at the sandwich. "It looks like something. A lady, I suppose. But not the Virgin Mary.''

Viewing the sandwich is included with museum admission, at $13 a head. Four years ago, when the museum brought a pair of African fertility statues to San Francisco, visitors were allowed to touch the statues without buying a museum ticket. But the Virgin Mary sandwich is no fertility statue, said Amgar, the man from the casino, and times are tougher.

Besides, along with the Virgin Mary statue you get to see the skull with the spike through it, and also the portrait of Rudolph Valentino made from laundry dryer lint.

The sandwich has already played Florida, New York and Los Angeles. Its San Francisco stay cannot be extended. Sunday night, the sandwich goes back into its custom case and departs for Austin, Texas, where adoring throngs await.

In the meantime, during its San Francisco visit, the sandwich will be secured at night in a back room of the museum, for safekeeping. Iljas tried to squeeze the sandwich and its display case inside the museum's office safe, but it wouldn't fit. The casino man said it would be OK, as long as the museum was locked and the alarm was switched on, to afford the sandwich maximum protection.

"It will be secure,'' Iljas said. "Nothing will happen to the sandwich.''

Source

See the bizarre auctions site for earlier news on this cheesey item ;)

Any forteans in the northeast US (or travelling to Philly in the near future) might want to check this out.

Exhibit showcases art of medical quackery

Friday, March 25, 2005 Posted: 9:36 AM EST (1436 GMT)

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) -- For hundreds of years, the flamboyant sellers of patent medicines relied not only on exorbitant claims and theatrical presentations to push their panaceas, but also employed accomplished artists to create advertisements for their too-good-to-be-true elixirs and gadgets.

"Quack, Quack, Quack," a new exhibit at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, showcases the prints, posters and pamphlets that guaranteed everything from "animal magnetism" to cures for "the indiscretions of youth" -- and were the precursors of today's spam e-mails and late-night infomercials that also promise the moon but rarely deliver.

"Quacks have been around forever and they're still with us," said William H. Helfand, a longtime collector of medical art and ephemera who organized the show and wrote the accompanying catalog.

It might be hard to understand how anyone would believe some of the claims -- a magnetic wafer that cures sterility? -- or who would think it was beneficial to have "sweet blood." But though the ads might induce some self-satisfied laughter at the naivete of our forebears, the sales of diet pills and no-effort exercise contraptions show we still aren't immune to the charms of magic potions.

"As much as I can laugh up my sleeve when I look at these, I'm not entirely skeptical either; I still think things go better with Coke, though it's probably just the caffeine," said curator John Ittman. "Things that say they'll make us feel better or look better have a strong appeal."

The exhibit's 75 works trace quackery from about 1600 to 1930 and include well-known artists including Maxfield Parrish, William Hogarth and Jacques Callot.

There's the 1885 lithograph for the "health jolting chair," an electrified wooden seat promising women "bright sparkling eyes; a sweet, pure breath; and a vivacious manner." A Parrish poster from the late 1800s for No-To-Bac anti-tobacco gum features the product's gladiator vanquishing his foe, whose shield reads "Nicotine."

The charlatans peddling such products were not without critics, who used humor to illustrate their skepticism. A spoof from 1834 on James Morison's popular vegetable pills, for example, shows a man carrying a pair of wooden peg-legs under his arm and bragging to a friend that the supposed blood-purifiers regrew his lost appendages overnight.

Then, as now, the unbelievers didn't put much of a dent in sales.

"We're always hoping, aren't we? And as long we keep hoping, quacks will never go away," said Helfand, 78, a former pharmaceutical executive who has collected medical-related art for 50 years.

Until the 19th century, quacks traveled from town to town selling their wares. Modern medicine had not yet evolved. Barbers performed surgery and itinerant dentists pulled teeth and dispensed "wonder drugs" that were similar to the opium- and quinine-laden medicine that doctors dispensed.

When bona fide medical practice and licensing took hold, quacks began to sell their own propriety products and used testimonials from the rich and famous. Legislation came that limited the excessive claims of patent medicines, and new testing technology allowed scientists to determine the often-toxic ingredients in secret formulas -- and warn the public.

However, quackery persists from health food stores to magazines in promising quick cures, boundless energy, better memory and a smaller waistline.

"Quacks are the supreme pitchmen," Ittman said. "Madison Avenue learned a lot from these guys."

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/DESTINAT ... index.html

Not Even in New York

By ALAN FEUER
Published: June 4, 2005

SEYMOUR, Conn. - It's getting hard for an honest freak to make a living in New York. This is both a cultural and economic fact.

It is also the plight of Johnny Fox, a professional sword swallower and expert in sleight of hand, who until this winter was the impresario behind the Freakatorium, a museum of sideshow curiosities at 57 Clinton Street on the Lower East Side.

In January, Mr. Fox's rent went up and he had to close. Now he has moved his wonders to a farmhouse in Connecticut where the only thing they collect these days is dust.

His narwhal tusks stand in the attic near a loose pile of taxidermic heads. His elephant's-foot liquor chest sits in the living room, seen by no one but himself.

His two-headed turtle lives downstairs in the basement with a sleepy boa constrictor. Out in the garage - forgotten - are Tom Thumb's vest and Sammy Davis Jr.'s glass eye.

"I'd love for this stuff to be in New York," said Mr. Fox, a sinewy and black-haired man of 52. "New York needs this kind of stuff, but who supports it anymore?"

It is a hard question to answer. Mr. Fox discovered that his Freakatorium was not the tourist destination he had hoped it would be. Even with its relatively modest $5 admission fee, it drew only 5 to 15 visitors a day.

When his rent increased in January to $2,400, more than double what he was paying when he opened in 1999, he could no longer make ends meet. Worse yet, it seems his collection is out of step in the current culture of New York. He has tried his best to find a new location, but has so far had no luck.

He was turned away by the owner of a 42nd Street video arcade and made to feel unwelcome at the smut shops. No theater will permit him to set up his collection in its lobby. There have been no takers for his offers, no answer to his pleas.

He has even thought of changing the roguish name of his establishment to cater to a different clientele.

"I figured we could call it the Chamber of Wonders, not the Freak-atorium," he said. "Freak sometimes has a stigma to it. We could do something family-inviting."

Even at its height, the Freakatorium was never meant to be a profit center. It was rather Mr. Fox's chance to earn a living while sharing his obsessions with the world.

Those obsessions, he points out, began in childhood when he used to watch his uncle entertain the family with gruesome party tricks like sticking needles into his thumb. At age 10, he said, he used to come down from the family home near Hartford to visit an aunt in New York and spend long afternoons at Hubert's Museum on 42nd Street to gape in awe at the flea circus and the freaks.

His own initiation to the sideshow arts began in the late 1970's when, after several lean years performing magic tricks in restaurants and bars, he met the great Tony Slydini, an Italian sleight-of-hand artist known in magicians' circles as the Master of Misdirection. Mr. Slydini, who came to New York City after decades on the vaudeville circuit in Argentina, helped Mr. Fox perfect his coin tricks and his use of cup and ball.

A magic act was quickly put together, centered on the swallowing of swords. Mr. Fox claims to have swallowed 16 - a record, he says. He used to eat fire, too, until he learned that the chemicals seeped into one's liver.

"No good," he stoically explained.

These days, as his pickled conjoined piglets sit in storage, Mr. Fox busies himself with a series of jobs that are literally odd. He swallows swords at arts and music festivals across the country. He works at tattoo conventions. He even takes the occasional consulting job, advising fellow artists on the proper way to eat sabers or hang themselves from hooks.

He has also taken on a curiously domestic project for a sideshow performer - restoring his house. There is, after all, wainscoting to install on the staircase and a claw-foot tub to put in the bathroom down the hall.

Still, in the back of his head, there remains the dream of reopening the Freakatorium. It does no one any good if the carvings lovingly made by the feet of Charles Tripp, the Armless Wonder, gather cobwebs on a lonely basement shelf.

He has occasional thoughts of taking his collection on the road, packing up the shrunken heads and furry fish and heading off to Mexico. But he has a deep conviction that his curiosities are essentially a New York phenomenon. As Mr. Fox explains, there is a long tradition of freakdom in New York.

He sees himself, in fact, as a distant heir to men like John Scudder, who in the early 19th century opened Scudder's American Museum on lower Broadway as New York's first public showplace for the fantastic and absurd. In 1841, Mr. Fox says, Phineas T. Barnum bought the place and established his own museum with everything from bearded ladies to educated seals.

Mr. Fox wants to continue in that vein, wants to teach New Yorkers that the comic book and cartoon heroes they grew up with are, in fact, direct descendants of early freaks like the Sacred Hairy Family of Burma or JoJo the Dogface Boy.

"I want to let people see that the characters they love are not just concocted," he said.

But such ambitions require two things New York tends to keep to itself: real estate and money.

"If a guy like me wants to give something to the city, all I need is someone to say: 'Hey, I like what you're doing. This is something that the city really needs.' "

Mr. Fox was downstairs in the basement with boxes that were labeled "head-hunter carvings," "freak posters (small)" and "neoprene suit."

He paused for a moment and glanced around the room.

"Of course," he said, "I haven't found that person yet."

Source

Back