• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Muslims And Pigs

Funnily enough some scalls had a severed pigs head in a bag on my train home from work a few weeks ago. They took great delight in pulling it out and waving it at any younger kids they saw and also, strangely at any girls they fancied. I assume that they got it from a butcher as there aren't too many pigs wandering the streets of Liverpool but what they were going to do with it I have no idea. Perhaps they were going to practise their throwing skills?

JohnnyMolten said:
I assume that they got it from a butcher as there aren't too many pigs wandering the streets of Liverpool

Mostly they're in the nightclubs....

Sorry.

Heckler20 said:
JohnnyMolten said:
I assume that they got it from a butcher as there aren't too many pigs wandering the streets of Liverpool

Mostly they're in the nightclubs....

Sorry.

On undercover duties after druggies I presume.

The whole pig=unclean song and dance is pretty absurd in this day and age.

I'm not convinced throwing any animal heads around is overly cool though...

JohnnyMolten said:
On undercover duties after druggies I presume.

Outrageous slur, city of culture, etc etc ;)

Incidently:

Liverpool
111 up, 107 down

Liverpool is the worlds most notorius slum. It was established as a major slum in 1971 when Karl Shanks Scallio who was crowned leader, was exiled there from the respectable city of Salford for robbing too many Pensioners. Since then the situation has deteriorated, poverty is at 98%, 9 out of 10 children don't know who their biological father is. Things came to head in early 1996 when the whole of the slum had to be fenced off to protect the elderly. As of 2005 things seem to be only getting worse, tanks and helicopters were recently sent in to help protect the OAPs who wanted to collect their pensions. Some plus points though, 10% of households now have running water, electricity and sewage, and there are now 249 telephones in operation.

Be wary of what lies at the western end of the east lancs road.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... =Liverpool

Or more seriously:
http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/ ... 41646.html

I lived in Asbridge streeet Toxteth (I guess everyone knows where ;) )for a bit...Yike!!!!

theyithian said:
Liverpool is the worlds most notorius slum...

:D

I won't pass this round the office otherwise they will be putting you on the list with Boris Johnson and Gary Neville!

ramonmercado said:
A Lone Man’s Stunt Raises Broader Issues

By KATIE ZEZIMA

LEWISTON, Me. — On a hot July night, a few dozen Somali men were kneeling shoulder to shoulder in prayer at a storefront mosque here when the door opened and the frozen head of a pig, an animal considered unclean in Islam, rolled across the floor...

This has been happening to the half-finished mosque across the road from my flat on-and-off for about 5 years. A (working) local church was demolished to make room for the mosque which didn't go down well to begin with but then when the mosque was halfway built, one of the local muslim clergy ran-off with a lot of the money which halted construction for a long time. Having a building site left abandoned, which was unpopular to begin with, hasn't helped matters. However, construction has been further hampered by locals vandalising existing building work and regularly, local bikers/Hells Angels have been throwing pigs heads through doors and windows.

I'm sure those Muslims who were upset at this dimwit who lobbed a pigs head into their mosque can at least be satisfied that allah will eventually deal out a horrendous punishment to the miscreant in question. So I guess it kind of evens itself out a bit, doesn't it.

I wouldn't belittle this assault by attacking the faith of the Muslims who were (rightfully) offended.

A more modern corollary: spitting in food is harmless, but would you eat something that an irate cook had spit into? I think not.

I wouldn't belittle this assault by attacking the faith of the Muslims who were (rightfully) offended.

A more modern corollary: spitting in food is harmless, but would you eat something that an irate cook had spit into? I think not.

Quite right - and I certainly wouldn't condone throwing pigs heads into mosques. But let's get some perspective here - the only sensibility that was offended in this case was one based on a superstition. And if this superstition holds that god will be duly wrathful if 'unclean' meat sullies a holy place, then surely they can at least be satisfied that god will deal with the interloper in his own good time. If they can't ... well, maybe they don't really think their god is all that; and that their reaction perhaps stems more from hypocrisy than anything else. If they truly have faith in their god, then they can have faith in the fact that god can deal with this himself. If they can't, then perhaps they are not as faithful as they would like to think they are.

Listen, bub. I'm an atheist too, but to belittle the faithful is an exercise in futitity. I respect islam and catholicism... a bit less the various sects that arise or have arisen.

I do not presume to have any answers. Much of the western interpretation of

Islam is full of both stupidity and nationalism. When the islamists say, 'Islam is a religion of peace,' they speak the truth, if one accepts that the Christian bible promotes peace (it doesn't). I think that both religions are barbaric, yet I know good christians and muslims who have adapted to modern life.

There is no excuse for intentionallly causing spiritual (cultural) discord in a peaceful congregation. If I were the judge, I'd give the guy community service within the mosque he desecrated, so that he could see the people he has hurt with his bullshit pig head dropping story.

Listen, bub. I'm an atheist too, but to belittle the faithful is an exercise in futitity.

Well, I'm agnostic - though I hold very little brief for most (well, okay - pretty much all) major religions, particularly of the missionary/evangelical type. As far as I'm concerned, they're just superstitions with ideas above their station. As for the faithful - well, I doubt I'd belittle them so much if:

A: They were not prepared to think less than me merely because I do not believe their particular set of superstitions.

and

B: If I were sure the 'faithful' were truly as faithful as they were meant to be. Though I don't doubt that there is a good number of the genuinely devoted in any religion, I am also sure that there is an equally good number of joiners, dimwits, hypocrites (in particular) and mentally disturbed.

Church school renames Three Little Pigs to avoid offending Muslims
by CHRIS BROOKE - More by this author »
Last updated at 20:31pm on 15th March 2007

Comments (15)

Honley Church of England Junior School in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire. Below: The Three Little Pigs story which has become the three little puppies

Most popular stories
News »
Entire site »
Friends say tragic Sally 'died of a broken heart'
Beatrice's boyfriend gives her a ring
Cash card to help immigrants transfer up to £5.6bn a year out of Britain
World Exclusive: Delighted Duchess to become a grandma
Woman handed 20-year Asbo
More detailed results »
Email newsletter

Enjoy our blogs
Benedict Brogan's blog
Katie Nicholl's showbiz diary
Baz Bamigboye's blog
Breast cancer blog
Fashion blog
Peter Hitchens
Money blog

The story of the Three Little Pigs' battle with the Big Bad Wolf has delighted children since it was written more than 150 years ago.

But the tale highlighting the merits of hardwork and practicality has become the latest to fall victim to political correctness.

• Ban on lecturer who links Nazis and Islam

A junior school production of the children's story has been renamed the Three Little Puppies for fear of offending Muslims.

Organisers of a children's music festival have altered the popular characters and lyrics because of the multi-cultural nature of the youngsters involved and their parents in the audience.

But yesterday Islamic leaders condemned the politically correct move as misguided and said decisions like this were turning Muslims into 'misfits' in society.

Children from Honley Church of England Junior School in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, were due to perform in a reworking of the popular tale which features the three little pigs.

The youngsters - aged from seven to 11 - were due to perform at Huddersfield Town Hall in June with 250 children from 63 schools singing along.

But organisers of the Kirklees Primary Music Festival decided to change the script to be 'sensitive' to Muslims at a recent committee meeting.

Committee member Gill Goodswen, head teacher of Stile Common Junior School, defending the move.

She said: "We have to be sensitive if we want to be multi-cultural. It was felt it would be more responsible not to use the three little pigs.

"We feared that some Muslim children wouldn't sing along to the words about pigs,' she said.

"We didn't want to take that risk. If changing a few words avoids offence then we will do so."

She stressed the decision was not prompted by a complaint from any school.

But Shaykh Ibrahim Mogra from the Muslim Council of Britain branded the move 'bizarre'.

He said: "The vast majority of Muslims have no problem whatsoever with the Three Little Pigs. It's always been the traditional way of telling the story and I don't see why that should be changed.

"There's an issue about the eating of pork, which is forbidden, but there is no prohibition about reading stories about pigs. This is an unnecessary step."

Other recent rows have involved 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' being changed to 'Baa Baa rainbow sheep' and Christmas events called 'winter' festivities.

Mr Mogra said: "How far are we going to go? Are we going to change the seven dwarves because it's discriminatory towards people who are physically less able? Where do you draw the line?

"Every time we get these stories Muslims are seen more and more as misfits. We have to accept there's a predominant culture here."

His views were echoed locally in Huddersfield.

Local councillor Terry Lyons added: "I can't believe that Muslims would be offended by this. This is pandering to a few extremists. People will take umbrage at this decision, making it easier for the BNP to recruit."

Mohammed Imran, of the Hanfia Mosque and Educational Institute said: "According to the Koran it's forbidden to eat pork or touch a pig, but there's no ruling about talking about them or singing about them."

Steve Price, head of Honley C of E school, said he had not played a part in the decision, but added: "We are part of the family of Kirklees schools. This family is set up to celebrate children's talents and I can well understand some head teachers being careful about not causing offence."

Article link

In all fairness it should be pointed out that the play will now go ahead: -

Comeback for 'non-offensive' pigs

Organisers of a children's concert have given the go-ahead for the three little pigs to appear, after they were banned over fears they might offend Muslims.

Honley Junior School in West Yorkshire was to perform the Roald Dahl story of Little Red Riding Hood and the pigs - but was told to substitute puppies.

Now Kirklees Council has stepped in to allow the pigs a reprieve.

No complaints had been made about the pigs appearing in the Kirklees Primary Music Festival event.

The committee organising the concert decided Muslim children may not want to sing about pigs.

However, council education spokesman Jim Dodds told BBC Five Live the decision had been overturned.

He said: "There is something barmy going on here and it has happened on my watch.

"I can tell you now that the three little pigs will be back into the school musical festival.

"The decision (to ban the pigs) was made by well-meaning people - it was the wrong decision, so let's stick with the traditions."

The festival is due to take place in June.

Story from BBC NEWS:

Published: 2007/03/16 04:27:55 GMT

© BBC MMVII

I thought dogs were considered unclean as well, if that's right, substituting puppies wouldn't have helped....

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but the subject of the original post came up at work this week, the question being was it just the consumption or contact with unclean animals that was frowned upon, or does this also include images, toys etc. I work in a primary/junior school at dinnertime, supervising the children, all this week the children have been kept in the classrooms as the playgrounds are covered in snow. When this happens, we set up various rooms as games room, reading rooms and dvd rooms. in one room, a colleague was told by some children that they could not watch the film 'Babe' as it featured a pig.

bigaggie1 said:
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but the subject of the original post came up at work this week, the question being was it just the consumption or contact with unclean animals that was frowned upon, or does this also include images, toys etc. I work in a primary/junior school at dinnertime, supervising the children, all this week the children have been kept in the classrooms as the playgrounds are covered in snow. When this happens, we set up various rooms as games room, reading rooms and dvd rooms. in one room, a colleague was told by some children that they could not watch the film 'Babe' as it featured a pig.

No! This is a good reason to resurect this thread. Sometimes you get foaf tales about this sort of thing but I take it your colleague is trustworthy?

Well, I believe that what she said happened,(she is not normally known for exaggerating or lying) I was told about it about half an hour after it happened, and the reason she approached me was to ask if I had encountered a similar situation, which in my 10 years there I never have.

Tell them to watch Ratatouile instead, who doesn't love rats running around in a kitchen?

Tell them to watch something with dogs in, instead. ;)

I shudder to think what would happen upon the viewing of a certain Orwell adaptation. :madeyes:

BlackRiverFalls said:
I shudder to think what would happen upon the viewing of a certain Orwell adaptation. :madeyes:

1984? :)

I mentioned this elsewhere on the board, but Christopher Hitchens devotes a short chapter of his book God Is Not Great to some interesting speculation on pork prohibitions. He suggests it may have been born out of the taboos surrounding cannibalism.

Last edited:
It depends on how strict they are. A colleague of mine used to make the picture selection for the companies very classy fine-art calendar which they used to send to suppliers, customers etc. One year the theme was British Landscape paintings, I can't remember the exact picture but it featured a rustic scence with a cottage and a couple of very pink cute little pigs. Saudi Customs ripped the offended page out of every single one sent into the country.

An acquaintance who'd worked in Saudi Arabi for a while some bizarre stories of what got cut out of the old TV series "All Creatures Great and Small." For example, with anything featuring pigs they'd freeze the picture before the pigs appeared, let the sound run on, then pick up the pictures at the end of the piggy sequence.

I'd always thought the pig taboo, in Judaism and Islam was a food hygiene thing, pigs being more likely to pick up diseases in the Middle Eastern climate. Also both cultures started off as semi-nomadic herders, and pigs aren't particularly amenable to that sort or life.

I suspect a lot of taboos have something practical at the bottom of them, but this rationale got lost in the depths of the past.

I'm surprised they've got telly at all in the Muslim world. I mean, you see pictures of people and animals - aaargh!!! :shock:

Back