'My Baby Monitor Is Haunted’: Tales Of Parental Fright

Wreckless

Junior Acolyte
‘My Baby Monitor Is Haunted’: Tales of Parental Fright
Parents catch ghostly images near their babies; ‘I could not go to sleep that night.’

By Julie Jargon
Aug. 13, 2019 5:30 am ET

Natalie Wallace was lying in bed one night more than a month ago when she glanced at her Cocoon Cam baby monitor. She noticed splotches of pink and purple all around the baby’s bassinet. The colors are supposed to indicate motion, but her baby was in a deep sleep.

A few days later, Ms. Wallace, who helps run a leadership development company in Los Angeles, came home to find her husband at the kitchen table looking distraught. He showed her a screenshot he’d taken of a humanlike figure on the baby monitor, floating above the ground near the baby, who was napping upstairs. Shortly after that, they saw what looked like a whole family of ghostly shapes, looming over the bassinet.

Every new technology brings its own set of ghosts in the machine. The latest high-tech baby monitors have been known to cause anxiety instead of relieving it—especially when they trigger false alarms that send parents into a panic. And now parents have to worry about these new motion-detection cameras picking up ghosts? It may just be fodder for paranormal television shows and Hollywood films, but for many parents, the fear is real, even if the spectral beings aren’t.

Continued:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/my-baby-monitor-is-haunted-tales-of-parental-fright-11565688602

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Fecking scary, even if they get rid of the monitor it will still be printed in their mind

Lizard King

Devoted Cultist
When my son was a baby we used to live near a train station. We had the walkie/talkie type monitors which used to pick up the train guards/drivers communicating with the station {I assume}. The first time we heard it at night time I nearly shit my pants{But tried to look cool!} A male voice came booming through the monitor, not what we were expecting!

hunck

Justified & Ancient
I used to have a fuzz box which picked up random nearby taxi/minicab radio voices. Or maybe it was haunted.

I couldn't access the WSJ article in the OP without opening an account. Was there a photo of the humanlike figure?

dr wu

Doctor Prog
I recently saw a video of my best friends stepdaughter's house who caught on their 'baby cam' at 3am in the morning an orb and clearly audio sounds of a male voice/s. I'm a skeptic...but I have no idea what it could be.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Here is an independent review of the Cocoon Cam.

My first thought re the photos above is that they look fake, and not even very well-faked.

My second thought is that, if someone allegedly paid good money for this state-of-the-art baby monitoring system, why did they mount it in a position that gives such a crappy view of its raison d'être, i.e. the baby? That’s where l’d mount a camera if l wanted to produce film of woo activity around the crib, not of the kid...

maximus otter

Last edited:

Sid

Devoted Cultist
Here is an independent review of the Cocoon Cam.

My first thought re the photos above is that they look fake, and not even very well-faked.

My second thought is that, if someone allegedly paid good money for this state-of-the-art baby monitoring system, why did they mount it in a position that gives such a crappy view of its raison d'être, i.e. the baby? That’s where l’d mount a camera if l wanted to produce film of woo activity around the crib, not the kid...

maximus otter
Agree 'maximus otter:' If you look closely at the top right - the first pic (@ 10:31) shows camera angle different to the other pic @ 10:56. If this camera is set in one position, then how can it take a different angle shot? Easily noticed by looking at the edge of the crib and compare it with the window blind section - only way that can happen is if this device has two lenses set a distance apart from each other?

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Fault in the camera then? Has it happened again since they discovered this? Not sure but movement detected is the baby, yes? as it seems, to me that the baby has moved, so nothing to do with the pinky purple thing showing up

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
the first pic (@ 10:31) shows camera angle different to the other pic @ 10:56. If this camera is set in one position, then how can it take a different angle shot?
After we got glued in to our flat in Malaysia we bought a cheapo CCTV camera to monitor the front door. Despite being not exactly top-of-the-range, it was motion-activated, and could pan and zoom in on the motion which activated it. So I wouldn't place too much importance on the angles being different or the aim seeming odd.

hunck

Justified & Ancient

catseye

For the greater good
Baby monitors are notorious for picking up stray signals.

See Mumsnet for repeated stories of strange voices/noises that turn out to be the next door neighbours...

Sid

Devoted Cultist
After we got glued in to our flat in Malaysia we bought a cheapo CCTV camera to monitor the front door. Despite being not exactly top-of-the-range, it was motion-activated, and could pan and zoom in on the motion which activated it. So I wouldn't place too much importance on the angles being different or the aim seeming odd.
Had a quick look at the 'Cocoon Cam' online. It uses a single lens, and has a variety of bad working reviews/reports from customers.