• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

My Dad's A Poltergeist!

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Dad died well over a decade ago. His ashes stayed at a funeral director's in the town where he'd lived, until his second wife died, a couple years back. The plan had been to mix the ashes but none of us kids wanted that so the funeral director discreetly agreed not to mix. Stepfamily took stepmother and brother and I took dad.

And we were about to scatter the ashes when the first lockdown happened, so dad stayed in brother's cellar for the past year and a bit.

My brother is quite a sceptic on this stuff, despite growing up in the same (haunted) house I did, and he rarely if ever will even talk about things that are supernatural.

So I was surprised when he told me a couple months back that "things have started happening" and he wants to scatter the ashes ASAP. I asked him what, and he said things had started "disappearing". I asked what things and he says things like DVDs etc and I wanted to carry on the conversation but somehow we got distracted.

He rings up and speaks to husband a few days ago. Husband hands phone to me "You have to hear this!" Apparently, he REALLY wants to get those ashes scattered, now. He was going early morning fishing the other day and so SIL put a lunch box ready to fill in the morning, for him. Next day, she goes downstairs to fill it and inside the box is one of her ornaments. (From another room so can't have been accidentally knocked into the box). No visitors in the house, nobody has been there just them and each knows for sure they didn't do it. I asked him what the ornament was - he had to ask her. She says a little owl. Ah mystery solved, it is dad, I say - he was a Leeds man and owls are Leeds' symbol! (She has a lot of little ornmanets IIRC so it could have been owt). I ask him if other things are happening - he says yes, DVDs going missing - and one in particular just hasn't turned back up. Apparently it was an obscure 1940s' film I'd never heard of but brother remembered to be a film our mum had loved. Oh there you go then, I say. They're telling you they want to be together...

We're going to scatter the ashes soon but he says if owt else major happens he's bringing them to my house. I say I don't mind. I'd quite like to be haunted by my parents.

It's weird because totally not apropos of this, a few weeks back, husband and I were talking and I said, I reckon if there was an afterlife (and I can't pretend to really believe in one), but say if there was - he'd now have "seen back" all the shit my stepmother did to me when I was a child and there'd be no way he'd have wanted to have his ashes mixed with her's...

We're putting him in a place he went a lot as a child on day trips with his parents and where I have some lovely 1930s' photos of him, and also a little, now, with my mum in the village churchyard where she is. I reckon brother's DVD will turn up when they're back together. Watch this space!

ETA: I have a house full of empty DVD boxes or DVDs in the wrong box and that's down to my disorganised husband's activity, no poltergeists, but my brother is much more orderly and sensible than we are! Just occurred to me in my house a missing DVD or several wouldn't even register on the Richter scale - a polt would have to work a bit harder...

Last edited:
That's an impressive turnabout for a skeptic!
Thanks for posting—can't wait for any updates! :D
Aw, cheers. I will keep you posted. So far not heard from him again and we plan to scatter dad in early Sept (as we have a few grown up kids to wrangle). I'm secretly hoping something else happens so I get the ashes for a couple weeks, at least...

OK another update. Because of various stars being misaligned, we didn't get to take the ashes yet to the places planned, and upshot is, I now have them for a while.

Just got them last week. Surprising how big a plastic cannister of ashes are.

I got them quite late at night and didn't have chance to figure out where to put them when they came so they were in back hallway for a couple of days. Then, son coming back from uni and we didn't want to freak him out so realised we'd have to hide them quickly.

(This could turn into a 70s sit com).

Youngest son said we should do an experiement and put them in hsi big brother's wardrobe, under some things, and not tell him they're there and, like, do an experiement and see if he reports anything. In meantime, husband had been freaked out by them in back hallway so had put in the currently empty bedroom, but just in middle of floor as he was going to work and in a rush. So about ten mins before son got back I realised "Oh bugger they're in the middle of his floor" and rushed up and - couldn't think where to put them so confess they went in the wardrobe (cannister thing in a plastic bag), because I couldn't think where to put them.

Thought is a bit mean of us but I'll keep quiet and he'll be none the wiser. Came back for a football match and will only be here couple days.

First night back, and Saturday morning he said to me "Mum, I woke up three times in the night and I never wake up in the night."

Watch this space.

He slept in his little bro's room last night as little bro has gone for a weekend away. So he only did one night in the room with grandad in the wardrobe.

The weird activity at my brother's house stopped for a while but had started up again recently - with two bizarre incidents of him suddenly finding money in his front yard. He's lived in that house decades and it never happened before. (He also enters and leaves house by back door as does everyone, so it's not him who dropped £s).

First £25, then a tenner. His front yard is just a tiny paved area, that goes right onto the road and I can't remember if it has a wall but if it does it will only be a foot high, if that. So anyone walking past, seeing money, could easily pick it up.

I said I don't mind having the ashes for a while if he's finding money, now. So far, no £s. But it's only been a few days!

We'll be scattering our half next month probably, but am keeping the ashes probably for several more months until rest of the family can scatter the rest. Logistics of gathering everyone together etc.

OK just gonna record these as and if they happen.

Couple of days ago I was expecting a delivery and got a notice by email, as usual. Thought nothing of it. A few minutes later got a second email but this time the thing being delivered was a blue and white Spode plate. Which I hadn't ordered. Most peculiar. Over the next few hours, I got no more delivery notices for the thing I actually had ordered, but several for the plate I hadn't.

I thought maybe it was an error and when the delivery came it would be the thing ordered.

Delivery man came and said two parcels. I took them both on the principle that maybe husband had ordered me another plate (he's always dropping them). In fact about 18 months ago I had made an order of these because he's dropped almost all our plates and I wanted quick cheap replacements and noticed I could get seconds of my favourite blue and white patterns for a very low price, online. So I also wondered if, as they already have my address, they'd ballsed up and sent out another plate in error. Only one plate so easier to just accept delivery than send it back.

Opened it and it was one - just one - of my favourite blue n white plates. Receipt with it but had no price charged on it as if it was a gift where they hide the price (is only a couple quid anyway).

Husband came in and no he hadn't ordered a single small plate. I thought maybe as I bought seconds, couple years back, they'd been one short and not realised for ages, then realised and sent one when another came available. But I went to look at old emails from them and no, everything I ordered at the time was sent.

Feasible explanation is that even though is 18 months - 2 years on, somehow they have messed up. The less feasible but more interesting explanation is...

My late mum who predeceased him by decades had a thing about blue and white china. He knew that I loved it too. Although now I write this am remembering bro saying that the movie that went missing from its case was this really obscure old film (I'd never heard of) that he remembered our mum loved. And he thought there was a chance it wasn't dad, but mum...

No doubt is something mundane but I'll write down this stuff here, so I have a record of it!

OK just gonna record these as and if they happen.

Couple of days ago I was expecting a delivery and got a notice by email, as usual. Thought nothing of it. A few minutes later got a second email but this time the thing being delivered was a blue and white Spode plate. Which I hadn't ordered. Most peculiar. Over the next few hours, I got no more delivery notices for the thing I actually had ordered, but several for the plate I hadn't.

I thought maybe it was an error and when the delivery came it would be the thing ordered.

Delivery man came and said two parcels. I took them both on the principle that maybe husband had ordered me another plate (he's always dropping them). In fact about 18 months ago I had made an order of these because he's dropped almost all our plates and I wanted quick cheap replacements and noticed I could get seconds of my favourite blue and white patterns for a very low price, online. So I also wondered if, as they already have my address, they'd ballsed up and sent out another plate in error. Only one plate so easier to just accept delivery than send it back.

Opened it and it was one - just one - of my favourite blue n white plates. Receipt with it but had no price charged on it as if it was a gift where they hide the price (is only a couple quid anyway).

Husband came in and no he hadn't ordered a single small plate. I thought maybe as I bought seconds, couple years back, they'd been one short and not realised for ages, then realised and sent one when another came available. But I went to look at old emails from them and no, everything I ordered at the time was sent.

Feasible explanation is that even though is 18 months - 2 years on, somehow they have messed up. The less feasible but more interesting explanation is...

My late mum who predeceased him by decades had a thing about blue and white china. He knew that I loved it too. Although now I write this am remembering bro saying that the movie that went missing from its case was this really obscure old film (I'd never heard of) that he remembered our mum loved. And he thought there was a chance it wasn't dad, but mum...

No doubt is something mundane but I'll write down this stuff here, so I have a record of it!
I also have blue and white china! I'm now looking for a cabinet cum sideboard so I can display it in my kitchen. Love the idea of spurious plate-sending!

I also have blue and white china! I'm now looking for a cabinet cum sideboard so I can display it in my kitchen. Love the idea of spurious plate-sending!
It's totally a mix up from Spode, I bet but I'm determined to pretend to myself it's my dad just as a sort of comfort. Which is how these things work, probably! On the other hand, my (very) late mum was well known for her love of blue and white - most especially willow patern but this is not that design. Still one she'd like, though. Come on though, if they're giving my brother £35 in garden money, they least they can do is give me (who is much poorer) a tenner? Pattern is Blue Italian. I got loads of seconds of it years ago when they had a shop at the outlet.

It's totally a mix up from Spode, I bet but I'm determined to pretend to myself it's my dad just as a sort of comfort. Which is how these things work, probably! On the other hand, my (very) late mum was well known for her love of blue and white - most especially willow patern but this is not that design. Still one she'd like, though. Come on though, if they're giving my brother £35 in garden money, they least they can do is give me (who is much poorer) a tenner? Pattern is Blue Italian. I got loads of seconds of it years ago when they had a shop at the outlet.
When I moved out of my old house (where I'd lived for over 25 years, which only goes to show how much I cleaned cupboards) I found some small blue flower-sprigged plates, right at the back of the kitchen cupboard (built in to the house). So I brought them with me and now they have pride of place in my new kitchen. They're not anything special, not even really patterned, but they are pretty and I love them!

When I moved out of my old house (where I'd lived for over 25 years, which only goes to show how much I cleaned cupboards) I found some small blue flower-sprigged plates, right at the back of the kitchen cupboard (built in to the house). So I brought them with me and now they have pride of place in my new kitchen. They're not anything special, not even really patterned, but they are pretty and I love them!
Did you also find a baking tray there perchance?

Back