My Deer Stalking Outing (Contains Bloody Images)

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Up early and out on a frosty morning, for the first time in far too long.

(Please excuse the less-than-perfect camera phone pictures).

See: there are two seven o'clocks in every day!

A grim reminder that poachers are about:

My guess? Run down using lurchers, savaged to death then left to rot. Grrr...

At about 0745 I spotted a suspicious-looking lump in a field. Careful study with the Leica bins revealed a Chinese water deer, couched and chewing a cud of my farmer's wafer-thin profit margin. Game on!

The CWD seemed remarkably complacent as I approached. When I reached an estimated 100 yards from her, I confirmed the range using my laser: 110 yards. I set up my Sako 85 in 6.5 x 55mm on my quad sticks, pausing only to take one last photo:

As the CWD was prone, I had to go for a neck shot rather than my usual heart/lung shot.

Tiissssh-pok!

The 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip left the rifle at 2,775 feet per second and hit the deer 0.13 seconds later, doing biblical damage to the impact area. Death was instantaneous.

My final firing position was at the edge of the trees, top dead centre, where the ploughed strip turns 90 degrees

Time for the housework:

Liver on hide by knives; mesenteric lymph nodes atop rumen after inspection

Into my expanding waistpack/rucksack:

After skinning at home and removing some of the large deposits of winter fat:

About 2 3/4 hours from harvest to my deer fridge

I can't find my spring balance at the moment, but I'd guesstimate that's about 12 to 15lbs. of delicious, nutritious, close-to-organic meat for my farmer at everyone's favourite price: Free!

A good morning.

maximus otter

Last edited:

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Shot sir!

We used to gut in the field, skin etc done on return before handing over to the kitchen for hanging and joining.

Without the sights, how close do you think you could get? reduced stress on the animal if you can stand back of course.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Shot sir!

We used to gut in the field, skin etc done on return before handing over to the kitchen for hanging and joining.

Without the sights, how close do you think you could get? reduced stress on the animal if you can stand back of course.
The CWD was very relaxed, and I could probably have got considerably closer to her. I didn't need to take the risk, however, as I had a rock-solid lean on my quad sticks and a 110-yard shot isn't challenging.

I've never taken a deer beyond 180 yards; the closer the better. If I want to demonstrate my marksmanship skills, I'll happily take anyone on at paper targets at any range if there's no more than a pint at issue. When the quarry is a living creature? I'll get as close as I can, then ten yards closer.

maximus otter

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Max, I can't believe you put a trigger warning on the title of your post! Anyway, nice work.

Up early and out on a frosty morning, for the first time in far too long.

(Please excuse the less-than-perfect camera phone pictures).

See: there are two seven o'clocks in every day!

A grim reminder that poachers are about:

My guess? Run down using lurchers, savaged to death then left to rot. Grrr...

At about 0745 I spotted a suspicious-looking lump in a field. Careful study with the Leica bins revealed a Chinese water deer, couched and chewing a cud of my farmer's wafer-thin profit margin. Game on!

The CWD seemed remarkably complacent as I approached. When I reached an estimated 100 yards from her, I confirmed the range using my laser: 110 yards. I set up my Sako 85 in 6.5 x 55mm on my quad sticks, pausing only to take one last photo:

As the CWD was prone, I had to go for a neck shot rather than my usual heart/lung shot.

Tiissssh-pok!

The 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip left the rifle at 2,775 feet per second and hit the deer 0.13 seconds later, doing biblical damage to the impact area. Death was instantaneous.

My final firing position was at the edge of the trees, top dead centre, where the ploughed strip turns 90 degrees

Time for the housework:

Liver on hide by knives; mesenteric lymph nodes atop rumen after inspection

Into my expanding waistpack/rucksack:

After skinning at home and removing some of the large deposits of winter fat:

About 2 3/4 hours from harvest to my deer fridge

I can't find my spring balance at the moment, but I'd guesstimate that's about 12 to 15lbs. of delicious, nutritious, close-to-organic meat for my farmer at everyone's favourite price: Free!

A good morning.

maximus otter
Enjoyed your post Max.